• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A warning about a Disney product

Just an FYI, I'm not sure where this post should go, but as this product was purchased on a recent trip to Downtown Disney's World of Disney, and it may affect families, I'll post it here.

Just got back a week ago from an incredible trip to Disney. Took my 3 year old son Christmas shopping and we purchased a Buzz Lightyear wrist watch at World of Disney. It has Buzz on the Front, and a button that causes multiple different colored lights to light up the bezel. Pretty cool watch, and he loved it. We loved it, until last night. Sometime, somehow while he was sleeping, the button for the lights got stuck. The watch got too hot and gave my son 1st and 3rd degree burns from the metal portion of the watch. Nothing life threatening or that will cause major problems long term, but a bad enough burn that it hurts him, which is more than enough for me. I will be placing a call to the World of Disney customer service when they open on Monday, and this product needs to be recalled. Just a warning for other Disney parents.

WOW... I am so sorry... Poor baby. I hope he feels better soon and heals quickly.

Glad the watch was recalled. And that your son (is hopefully) better.

However, I know no one who wears a watch to bed. *shrugs* Just me.

Also, I have a 3 year old son...and he is not allowed to take anything to bed with him except his favorite blanket and monkey. No toys. It's a safety issue. Not pointing fingers, just stating the obvious.

While I agree that the burns could have happened while the child was awake as well, they most likely would not have been so severe. Being awake and wearing a watch that is causing a burning sensation is FAR different than wearing a watch while asleep. I would hope that you wouldn't allow your child to wear a necklace to bed (strangulation hazard)...and that the child would be supervised while awake and wearing the same necklace (again, strangulation hazard).

I feel part of the responsibilty of the child getting burned so badly falls on the parents shoulders in this instance. Especially as ER doctors (if I read that right)...I would think you would have the sense to say "sorry kiddo, the watch has to stay in the toy box/kitchen table/end table in the living room" so as to avoid the child putting it on after you leave the room. I am not saying you knew your child would get burned by letting him wear it to bed. I'm just saying that it could have been avoided in the first place had you simply told him no.

Just wondering what would happen if your child went to bed with a toy and woke up with a puncture wound in the morning because in the middle of the night he rolled over on it. Would you report that product to the company making/selling the toy as faulty because it punctured your child...in the middle of the night?

Just saying.

you have a serious superiority complex....just sayin. this is one of the most offensive posts I have seen in a while.

you have a serious superiority complex....just sayin. this is one of the most offensive posts I have seen in a while.

If you go up a few posts you can see the OP's respose to that post. I rather enjoyed reading it as it really puts "Ms. Superiority" in her place. ;)

I always wear my watch to bed. My clock is on my dresser, and I can't see well enough in the middle of the night to read it! (I wear contacts.) I guess I am weird...lol I only take it off to shower or swim.

My kids wear watches 24/7,thier father and I do too.It is reasonable to expect that a watch not cause a burn, never have I heard about this before so it seems to be rare;) IDK but when my kids were younger they used to love some of thier toys enough to sleep with them, as they are kid safe I allowed it, so little Jimmy sleeps with spiderman, like sleeping with a toy is more riskey then when they are awake playing( hard to choke on a toy in thier sleep! Of course toys with long strings and such shouldn't be in kids bedrooms as the could strangle on them.

Obviously this wasn't a problem with a button getting stuck as I initially thought. This is a faulty design where the plating on the watch interacted with the battery. Try reading the service recall. He wasn't being defiant about wearing the watch to bed. We let him wear it to bed, because it's a watch. He's three. He's not going to get strangled on a watch. I wear my watch to bed at times. Sometimes I don't. When he wants to take the watch off, he tells us to take it off. Like he did, when it burned him. You are aware that slow burns can develop with minimal symptoms initially right? So as a 3 year old, how was he supposed to know. When it started to burn him, he asked us to take it off. What more could he do? That's right though, it's our fault for putting a product that was billed to be safe, using it in a manner as intended, and getting burned. And your analogy about getting punctured with a toy makes no sense whatsoever, and neither does putting a necklace on him. You're talking about putting potentially dangerous items in bed with a child based on your description. IT'S A WATCH. He's not going to swallow it. He's not going to choke on it. It's not going to puncture him. It sits on his wrist and tells time. Unfortunately the design was faulty, hence it was RECALLED. But you're right, I should have known the design was faulty and would burn him:confused3 What if the stitching on your son's monkey was faulty, the stuffing got out, and suffocated him. I guess that's your fault too. You're an idiot. Just saying.

:woohoo: LOVE this post! Just sayin'!:rotfl2:

Looks like your son is healing well....poor little guy.

The watch got too hot and gave my son 1st and 3rd degree burns from the metal portion of the watch. Nothing life threatening or that will cause major problems long term, but a bad enough burn that it hurts him, which is more than enough for me. I will be placing a call to the World of Disney customer service when they open on Monday, and this product needs to be recalled. Just a warning for other Disney parents.

Did you realy mean 3rd degree, 2nd is blisters but 3rd is dead tissue and usually required skin grafts.

I just wanted to add my support to you as well. I am shocked that other parents think that you are some how negligent that your son was burned by this watch. It is just absurd. The issue is so not that your child was sleeping with a watch. The product was defective. And you were a blessing to us all for reporting it. Just think of the other children you were able to spare from very painful burns. Cheers to you!

I do have question - did you let your son sleep with the watch on? Somehow, I don't think this is it's intended use.

Not sure it it would be recalled, as I'm sure that you did not use the watch properly. It takes a lot of work to actually enact product recalls. One of which is that the product is used correctly. That is not to say that your son deserved to be burned, but as soon as you tell them he slept with it on for many hours, I think they are going to have issues with that. Maybe I misunderstood your post?

So let me get this straight. The injuries sustained from this watch were of a contributory nature since the child wore it at an inappropriate time? I don't recall reading, "do not wear while sleeping" on any watch instructions before.

Tiger, this isn't necessarily directed at you, but it feels like that on the DIS that no one can say anything negative about the Disney company/product in any way, shape, or form without folks getting kind of defensive. I love Disney too, but a watch burned a child here. Short of him putting it in the microwave prior to putting it on, it wasn't his fault. ...unless it was purchased at WDW, then that makes all the difference, I guess.

OP, thanks for the warning and I hope your little guy's wrist will be okay. You definitely should be in communication with the company about what happened. It was unacceptable and very unfortunate.

1st: I'm sorry that your little guy got hurt and am glad to hear that he is on the mend.
2nd: There are some ridiculous people here for attacking the OP. She out of concern posted her experience here so other parents aware of the potential harm this product caused her son, and apparently her poor son was not the only injured as there is a recall. She did not let her son use the watch in an inappropriate manner as I have never seem a warning to not wear a watch to be ever, THE WATCH WAS DEFECTIVE and has nothing to do with her parenting.
3rd: For those that are perfect parents out there, please write a book so I can buy it. I want to be able to raise a PERFECT happy, healthy, well behaved child that will always be safe without putting them in a bubble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter