• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A warning about a Disney product

I wear my watch. I wear it all the time. It is water proof. I actually feel weird when I dont have it on. So does DH and MIL and FIL and my mom. :confused3

OP glad that your son is okay :) And that a recall was issued.

For the ones picking on others about their parenting please remember that for every finger you point there are three pointing back at you. No parent is perfect and no child is perfect and the minute you think they are or you are..life will prove otherwise.

lol, my kids are far from perfect. Otherwise i never would have had to tell them "no." And work through the emotions involved. If you avoid dealing with that stuff it just comes out later. Not everyone in life is going to mold their behavior to keep your snowflake from melting down. Kids have to learn to deal with the unfair, and hard stuff in life.

As far as the stupid finger thing, well, I'd say that someone with a year old child hasn't even had to deal with parenting issues yet. The idea they are pointing even one is absurd!

Thanks OP for your part in getting this watch recalled. This is something I would absolutely buy for my nephew (6yrs old). Since it is Buzz I doubt he would take it off, except when his parents made him for bathtime! No matter the time of day a button should not get stuck causing heat strong enough for burns. I like how the recall put it though...the watches can interact with their stainless-steel backs to cause skin irritation or burning sensations on children's wrists. Disney has received six complaints about the watches
I think you described your sons injuries as a bit more than "burning sensation." :eek: How is your little man doing? Is he healing well?

I am not going to bash the OP, but I was wondering if the little guy was awake would he have noticed that the watch was getting hot? It would have lessened his burns.

I do think the watch should have been recalled - it shouldn't around to harm another child.

I think what happened is horrible and should be addressed with WDW. No child (or anyone) should be hurt by a product (used improperlly or not).

I think what shocks me most is that the OP's child did not wake up when his skin was burning bad anough for a 3rd degree burn. I can not imagine anyone sleeping through that degree of pain.

Here is a link to a picture of a 3rd degree burn on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:8-day-old-3rd-degree-burn.jpg

lol, my kids are far from perfect. Otherwise i never would have had to tell them "no." And work through the emotions involved. If you avoid dealing with that stuff it just comes out later. Not everyone in life is going to mold their behavior to keep your snowflake from melting down. Kids have to learn to deal with the unfair, and hard stuff in life.

As far as the stupid finger thing, well, I'd say that someone with a year old child hasn't even had to deal with parenting issues yet. The idea they are pointing even one is absurd!

Well actually I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Thanks for reading. I dont think that sleeping with a watch is creating a "snowflake". Sorry that you find the need to pick on everybody. Even strangers on a message board. Oh BTW my child does know no. My child was recognized for outstanding citizenship and is academically accelerated (at a blue ribbon school) so yes he does know discipline and yes he does know how to behave but no I don't feel the need to point out to other people how to raise their children.

ETA: when I was talking about finger pointing I meant that for the finger you are pointing (yes the one where you tell other parents what they are doing wrong) there are three other parents pointing fingers at you and at what you are doing wrong. Since I didn't mention names in my post you must have known that what you said was judgmental.

I think what happened is horrible and should be addressed with WDW. No child (or anyone) should be hurt by a product (used improperlly or not).

I think what shocks me most is that the OP's child did not wake up when his skin was burning bad anough for a 3rd degree burn. I can not imagine anyone sleeping through that degree of pain.

Some kids are just extremely deep sleepers and nothing bothers them in their sleep. Not wetting themselves, pain, nothing.

Some kids are just extremely deep sleepers and nothing bothers them in their sleep. Not wetting themselves, pain, nothing.

I've worked with kids using the bed wetting alarms who didn;t wake up. I also once saw a little boy sleep through a fire alarm.

Sorry, just saw that the recall info was already posted. I haven't kept up with this thread, but had read the original posts a while ago....

Just an FYI, I'm not sure where this post should go, but as this product was purchased on a recent trip to Downtown Disney's World of Disney, and it may affect families, I'll post it here.

Just got back a week ago from an incredible trip to Disney. Took my 3 year old son Christmas shopping and we purchased a Buzz Lightyear wrist watch at World of Disney. It has Buzz on the Front, and a button that causes multiple different colored lights to light up the bezel. Pretty cool watch, and he loved it. We loved it, until last night. Sometime, somehow while he was sleeping, the button for the lights got stuck. The watch got too hot and gave my son 1st and 3rd degree burns from the metal portion of the watch. Nothing life threatening or that will cause major problems long term, but a bad enough burn that it hurts him, which is more than enough for me. I will be placing a call to the World of Disney customer service when they open on Monday, and this product needs to be recalled. Just a warning for other Disney parents.

Hi,
I just read about this recall- perhaps it's the same watch:

Children's Watch Recall
Disney has recalled a series of children's light-up watches sold at Walt Disney World, Disneyland, aboard Disney Cruise Line ships, and at Disney's airport shops at Orlando International Airport. The watches, which feature Buzz Lightyear, Tinker Bell, and Lightning McQueen, can cause skin irritation and/or burning sensations to children who are allergic to nickel. A tracking code of K130-6377-7-10187 is engraved on the back of the affected watches. Approximately 1,200 of the watches were sold between November 2010 and January 2011 for about $30. If you have one of these watches, please take it away from children and contact Disney Parks and Resorts at 877-560-6455 between 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday for more information and a $40 refund.

This is from the Magically Speaking February Newsletter

Hopefully you still have the watch and get return it. I'm sorry your child got burned and I would be upset if that happened to my child too.

I see that it has already been posted here that this watch was recalled. But I thought of you immediately when I logged onto the disneyworld.com website and at the bottom in red letters it has a link for Product Recall. Here is the link for it.
http://aimg.disneystore.com/content/global/recalls/recall_lightupwatch_02092011.pdf

I am glad they have taken these potential hazzards away from harming anymore children. It is clear your child was not the only one injured. I hope he has recovered and is doing well.

Please report this to cpsc.gov as well. They are responsible for recalls and if enough reports are sent to them they will recall something.

Glad the watch was recalled. And that your son (is hopefully) better.

However, I know no one who wears a watch to bed. *shrugs* Just me.

Also, I have a 3 year old son...and he is not allowed to take anything to bed with him except his favorite blanket and monkey. No toys. It's a safety issue. Not pointing fingers, just stating the obvious.

While I agree that the burns could have happened while the child was awake as well, they most likely would not have been so severe. Being awake and wearing a watch that is causing a burning sensation is FAR different than wearing a watch while asleep. I would hope that you wouldn't allow your child to wear a necklace to bed (strangulation hazard)...and that the child would be supervised while awake and wearing the same necklace (again, strangulation hazard).

I feel part of the responsibilty of the child getting burned so badly falls on the parents shoulders in this instance. Especially as ER doctors (if I read that right)...I would think you would have the sense to say "sorry kiddo, the watch has to stay in the toy box/kitchen table/end table in the living room" so as to avoid the child putting it on after you leave the room. I am not saying you knew your child would get burned by letting him wear it to bed. I'm just saying that it could have been avoided in the first place had you simply told him no.

Just wondering what would happen if your child went to bed with a toy and woke up with a puncture wound in the morning because in the middle of the night he rolled over on it. Would you report that product to the company making/selling the toy as faulty because it punctured your child...in the middle of the night?

Just saying.

Sorry everyone, been busy. Son is doing fine. Has a scar from the burn from the crown, but otherwise a normal 3 1/2 year old. And it was definitely more than a burning sensation... Glad to see it was finally recalled. Didn't even know that it was until today. Pics posted below.

December 18, 2010
photo-1.jpg

March 4, 2011
photo.jpg

Also, I have a 3 year old son...and he is not allowed to take anything to bed with him except his favorite blanket and monkey. No toys. It's a safety issue. Not pointing fingers, just stating the obvious.

While I agree that the burns could have happened while the child was awake as well, they most likely would not have been so severe. Being awake and wearing a watch that is causing a burning sensation is FAR different than wearing a watch while asleep. I would hope that you wouldn't allow your child to wear a necklace to bed (strangulation hazard)...and that the child would be supervised while awake and wearing the same necklace (again, strangulation hazard).

I feel part of the responsibilty of the child getting burned so badly falls on the parents shoulders in this instance. Especially as ER doctors (if I read that right)...I would think you would have the sense to say "sorry kiddo, the watch has to stay in the toy box/kitchen table/end table in the living room" so as to avoid the child putting it on after you leave the room. I am not saying you knew your child would get burned by letting him wear it to bed. I'm just saying that it could have been avoided in the first place had you simply told him no.

Just wondering what would happen if your child went to bed with a toy and woke up with a puncture wound in the morning because in the middle of the night he rolled over on it. Would you report that product to the company making/selling the toy as faulty because it punctured your child...in the middle of the night?

Just saying.

Obviously this wasn't a problem with a button getting stuck as I initially thought. This is a faulty design where the plating on the watch interacted with the battery. Try reading the service recall. He wasn't being defiant about wearing the watch to bed. We let him wear it to bed, because it's a watch. He's three. He's not going to get strangled on a watch. I wear my watch to bed at times. Sometimes I don't. When he wants to take the watch off, he tells us to take it off. Like he did, when it burned him. You are aware that slow burns can develop with minimal symptoms initially right? So as a 3 year old, how was he supposed to know. When it started to burn him, he asked us to take it off. What more could he do? That's right though, it's our fault for putting a product that was billed to be safe, using it in a manner as intended, and getting burned. And your analogy about getting punctured with a toy makes no sense whatsoever, and neither does putting a necklace on him. You're talking about putting potentially dangerous items in bed with a child based on your description. IT'S A WATCH. He's not going to swallow it. He's not going to choke on it. It's not going to puncture him. It sits on his wrist and tells time. Unfortunately the design was faulty, hence it was RECALLED. But you're right, I should have known the design was faulty and would burn him:confused3 What if the stitching on your son's monkey was faulty, the stuffing got out, and suffocated him. I guess that's your fault too. You're an idiot. Just saying.

Just saying.

Obviously you are the perfect parent an we should all strive to be like you. I am well into my forties and often wear my watch to bed. How do you know you know no one who wears a watch to bed. Have you polled every person you know?

To the original poster, I am glad your son is healing and I am sorry this happened. I am glad this product has been recalled and hopefully no one else is injured. I agree that you did nothing wrong and nothing that millions of other parents would not have done.

Wow, I'm surprised at the comments that the OP is a bad parent for allowing the child to wear a watch to bed. I wear my watch to bed every night...I guess by those people's standards, I'm an irresponsible person.

OP, I'm glad that your child is healing and I'm sorry he had to go through this. :goodvibes

Obviously this wasn't a problem with a button getting stuck as I initially thought. This is a faulty design where the plating on the watch interacted with the battery. Try reading the service recall. He wasn't being defiant about wearing the watch to bed. We let him wear it to bed, because it's a watch. He's three. He's not going to get strangled on a watch. I wear my watch to bed at times. Sometimes I don't. When he wants to take the watch off, he tells us to take it off. Like he did, when it burned him. You are aware that slow burns can develop with minimal symptoms initially right? So as a 3 year old, how was he supposed to know. When it started to burn him, he asked us to take it off. What more could he do? That's right though, it's our fault for putting a product that was billed to be safe, using it in a manner as intended, and getting burned. And your analogy about getting punctured with a toy makes no sense whatsoever, and neither does putting a necklace on him. You're talking about putting potentially dangerous items in bed with a child based on your description. IT'S A WATCH. He's not going to swallow it. He's not going to choke on it. It's not going to puncture him. It sits on his wrist and tells time. Unfortunately the design was faulty, hence it was RECALLED. But you're right, I should have known the design was faulty and would burn him:confused3 What if the stitching on your son's monkey was faulty, the stuffing got out, and suffocated him. I guess that's your fault too. You're an idiot. Just saying.

:thumbsup2

It doesn't shock me that the OP's child did not wake up. My DS who is 12 sleeps through EVERYTHING! He sleeps through the fire alarm and there is one located in his room as well as our house alarm which is so loud it feels like it is going to break your eardrums. I doubt my son would wake up even if something was causing him pain. Some kids just sleep so soundly that nothing wakes them up.

Just saying.

It's funny, I have had the opposite experience as far as wearing a watch to bed goes. Everyone I intimately know that wears a watch on a daily basis wears theirs to bed. I personally never wear a watch (don't even own one) but DH, my parents and DH's parents all wear their watches to bed.

I would never have thought twice about letting my child wear his to bed. It has nothing to do with saying "no" or him being spoiled. I wouldn't have even thought to ask him to take it off, not because I would be scared he would be upset but because I wouldn't have thought of it as a hazard. Obviously after reading this, I would now know not to let a child do so but it's very different than wearing a necklace to bed because yes, we know it is a strangulation hazard. We have read that it is a strangulation hazard. How many articles have you seen or read where people are burned by watches?

As far as negligence goes, there is no way that the OP should have expected that a watch would suddenly get so hot that it could cause 3rd degree burns. The example you used of a toy causing a puncture wound is absurd. Obviously one could expect that a hard toy could indeed cause a wound if one rolled over onto it. The toy didn't malfunction and was doing what it was supposed to do. The watch did malfunction and wasn't doing what it was supposed to do which is tell time, nothing else. When a watch starts burning people, there is something wrong with the watch not something wrong with the person wearing it. It's all a matter of common sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter