A YOU Worth Fighting For | January 2016 Weight Loss & Better Living Challenge

Yes! I am in for this month of new beginnings! Love the theme; thanks for your enthusiastic and supportive hosting, JacknSally!

I'm Kate, a 50+ RN, wife and mom to 2 young adult kids. I've participated in these monthly challenges Sept thru Nov. December was a super fun, crazy busy month for me - with a fabulous WDW trip, work, and then all of the wonder and hoopla of Christmas! I've lost 17 pounds since rejoining WW mid-August, but it has been a s-l-o-w process! I'm averaging a pound a week, which is half the rate of my loss 17 years ago when I made Lifetime at WW. BUT, this is the first time I've attended WW beyond mid-Oct and the first time I've lost weight in the late Fall/ early Winter months. This thread definitely helped with that - great support and another layer of accountability.

My usual weigh-in is on Friday, so no weigh-in last week and this week will also be a no - go, unless I can get there on Saturday. I just got a great, accurate digital scale for Christmas, so I can certainly utilize that! My goal will be 4 pounds, since I can't seem to get past one pound/week.

Looking forward to a great new year!

@jackandsally Do a 5K!!!!! They're fun. On most run/walk programs you're up to 3 miles by the first or second week. If you enjoy it and believe in yourself you can do it! As for my tattoos it's always easier to show rather than tell. I keep putting my next one off because of training I wanted another one on my thigh (a fox to offset the jackalope) but I think the next one will be on my right shoulder/chest. Just some flowers. Anyway. I only* have 3 which comes with an asterisk because they're pretty big.

Forgive me for the weird crop but ew feet and ew my toes. And yes I'm that level of day glow pale. It goes around my ankle (down on the bones too) and up the back of my calf a little bit. It was all done free hand.
1q49he.jpg

My feather that I have to stand up for all the time.
rhit5y.jpg

And my jackalope because my life seems to be rabbit themed.
2la3azs.jpg

And now I'm going to go run in the street because it's warm enough that there is no ice where it's already melted... I really need to suck it up and buy yaktrax.

@courtneybeth & @flvy How long were you running/training for before you decided to take the leap into doing a half marathon? I ask because I started running from nothing this year. I really started at the beginning of the year but got more serious as time went on. Now I'm consistently running 8-10 miles a week but am currently working on Hal Higdon's intermediate 5k plan to increase my endurance and speed so by the end of that plan (mid-feb) I should be running more like 15-20 miles a week. I have two 4 mile races planned and three 10k races planned this year. There's a big half marathon in KC every year in mid-October. Part of me wants to try for it but the other part of me is saying that it's too soon because this year I only ran a very undertrained 10k and a 5k. So I'm just looking for advice and insight!

@dsnyfn1022 I started training in April and signed up for Wine and Dine as my first half (oops to that) in November. That would have been fat and couch to half in 7 months which would have been more than enough time. Long story short I went into a 10K and honestly W&D under trained, and injured and just pushed through. Last year was a HUGE learning curve for me with running. My first half will actually be the end of Feb 2016(fingers crossed for no snow). That'll be with about three months of consistent training for it. I'm a lot more focused now so that'll be the big difference. Run/walk helps a lot with recovery, and has actually made me faster.

Honestly if you trained for it after this cycle it sounds like you'd be fine. Your 10k races could be placed into the half training that you're doing. It's about wanting to and having the drive to. With running the only thing that will ever hold you back (injury aside) is your own brain. If you want that half and think you can do it go out and train for it! I'm always here for a PM if you want to chat or have a cheerleader.

@dsnyfn1022 I started training in April and signed up for Wine and Dine as my first half (oops to that) in November. That would have been fat and couch to half in 7 months which would have been more than enough time. Long story short I went into a 10K and honestly W&D under trained, and injured and just pushed through. Last year was a HUGE learning curve for me with running. My first half will actually be the end of Feb 2016(fingers crossed for no snow). That'll be with about three months of consistent training for it. I'm a lot more focused now so that'll be the big difference. Run/walk helps a lot with recovery, and has actually made me faster.

Honestly if you trained for it after this cycle it sounds like you'd be fine. Your 10k races could be placed into the half training that you're doing. It's about wanting to and having the drive to. With running the only thing that will ever hold you back (injury aside) is your own brain. If you want that half and think you can do it go out and train for it! I'm always here for a PM if you want to chat or have a cheerleader.

Thanks for your advice! First, good luck on your half in Feb! I do a mix of run/walk and not. For short runs (2.5 miles or less) I usually run straight through but for my longer runs run/walking is key. It keeps me from hating the sport.

I've found a half marathon in KC that's in November. I asked my DH if he'd be interested and he said yes! So I think we're going to do it. That will give me plenty of time to *hopefully* get to my goal weight as well as be uber prepared for the race!

How long were you running/training for before you decided to take the leap into doing a half marathon?

I've been doing the 5Ks and longer for several years and decided "eh, why not" for the HM. It'll mostly be me fast walking with a little bit of running as I use this time to clear my head and enjoy the view of each new city I go to. A time limit of 4 hours means I'll probably be done in about 3:15 or 3:30. I am not fast by any means but I am looking forward to the bling. :)

I am not in it for the PRs. I am in it as a way to push myself and see what I can do, to test the limits and break through... uh, I think I just started to quote "Let it Go" from Frozen, so I'll end it here. :P

I'm going to echo Courtney and say I'm doing this 100% for me and to clear my head and push myself. I'm a lot less bothered by times this time around than I have been in the past. Running stopped being fun last year when I was trying to keep up and compete (this is actually what I thought about during my run today) now that I've gone back to doing it for me I love it so much more. I'm not actually a super competitive person so anything where I have to be just makes me miserable.

That's where I'm at too. I love the bling and the sense of accomplishment that I did it! I know that I will never be the fastest runner and have no desire to be so. I just want to be a better version of me. So I think you've convinced me! Thanks both of you for the advice :)

That's where I'm at too. I love the bling and the sense of accomplishment that I did it! I know that I will never be the fastest runner and have no desire to be so. I just want to be a better version of me. So I think you've convinced me! Thanks both of you for the advice :)

You're so welcome!

I chose to start the HM with Rock n Roll because they're a bit more forgiving if you fall behind the pace crew. They'll pick you up and drop you off so you can actually finish. Disney is a bit stricter with the sweepers and you don't get to finish.

Look into the RNR if you can - I'll be at most of the races so you'll have a familiar face in the crowd if you need some personal encouragement.

I would like to join in to the challenges of 2016. WISH has always been a fun place. OK so to go along with my goals for 2016 I am back to WISH and hopefully I can keep at it more frequently. Is funny that it isn't even the first yet there are already 3 pages of posts to read. I skimmed through them and when I saw MFP names I tried to add them. So if you see a request from jaelless that is me. I was doing sort of good with MFP then I stopped when autumn started which was naughty of me. So now dusting the app off and going to use it again. So about me... My name is Jennifer and I currently live in Jax, FL with my 20 yr old son, six yr old daughter, and my mom (she'd kill me if I gave her age). I hate saying my age cause it sounds so old and I don't feel that old not do I look that old, but I just turned 47 I think LOL I tend to loose track. I am an RN who works night weekends. I also go to college part time in order to eventually become a legal nurse consultant. This year I have big plans. The biggest is to move down to Orlando area at the beginning of December. So most of goals involve that one. I want to save enough money so that when we move we can buy annual passes with water park option LOL I have never been to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach but they look so fun. Another is getting rid of clutter around my house so that moving is easier. Then there are my fitness goals which is why I am here. I would adore becoming healthier this year, which includes losing weight of course. I want to be a good role model for my daughter. My daughter is basically a veggie person, she would not miss meat much, so finding new ways to get her eating healthier is goal. That will also help me eat healthier. She and I bake way too much. I have huge sweet tooth LOL which I need to shrink. I also need to exercise more. I make sure to get 10,000 steps a day, but that is not doing the trick. Have to find what will work this year. So my goal for January is to just lose a pound a week. Not a big goal but challenging since my scale refuses to budge LOL

You're so welcome!

I chose to start the HM with Rock n Roll because they're a bit more forgiving if you fall behind the pace crew. They'll pick you up and drop you off so you can actually finish. Disney is a bit stricter with the sweepers and you don't get to finish.

Look into the RNR if you can - I'll be at most of the races so you'll have a familiar face in the crowd if you need some personal encouragement.

I thought of that because I'm planning on being in Nashville in 2016 to do our debt free scream on the Dave Ramsey show but the RNR won't be there when we are. I wanna say April maybe? The other choice that I have is St. Louis but that actually will be around the time when I plan to be in Nashville. I've heard that this race series is really cool.

hi @jaelless - welcome! You're in the right place!

We have been to both and absolutely love the themes of each water park. When you're there it doesn't even feel like you're on Disney property. Typhoon Lagoon could really be a Caribbean beach!

Closest I've been to the Caribbean is the Pirate ride so I'll have to take your word for it LOL I know it is going to be hot down there so the water parks will be a nice way to keep cool.

You're so welcome!

Those balloon ladies are right on you. I had no idea about them before my one and only Disney run so far. I chose to put my slowest pace when signing up so I ended up in the last corral which is fine. I thought I will hang out at the back and leave at the end where it was less crowded. Never again. You can't do much if you do that. I stopped for pictures along the way and the balloon ladies caught up to me around the 7K mark. I couldn't stop for anymore pictures or even walk much. There was a guy on a bike just before them yelling don't let the balloon ladies catch up to you. I learned my lesson not to just let everyone go ahead. I did finish before the balloon ladies and get my bling :)

Lotta runners here, you all are inspiring me:)

I'm Michele, and I tried a few WISH challenges a few yrs back, but I fizzled out on them--a lot of folks on them, I just got overwhelmed with the posts:( But I appreciate that the intro to this challenge said participate at whatever level we can. I like that!

So the 411 on me. I'll be 47 on Jan 31, I have 2 ds's 10 & 14 and amazing dh same age as me--we celebrated 20 yrs of marriage this summer with a Dis Med cruise with our boys, very first cruise, truly once in a lifetime. I'm a FT school teacher, Cub Scout leader, perform regularly in coffee houses as part of an acoustic duo, sing in the choir, etc., etc. Taking a group of high schoolers to Europe in March, would like to take up less room in my airplane seat!

I'm here to hit reset on my life. I love my wine at night, love my carbs, both of which has translated to my clothes getting tighter as I get older. I prob have about 15-20 lbs to lose, truth be told. I'd love to drop 10. My wake up call was a few wks ago when I fainted, just dropped. Dh called 911 and I got an ambulance ride, 7 stitches in my chin and a broken molar which still smarts. They didn't find anything officially "wrong" luckily, most likely just dehydrated, but my takeaway is that I haven't been taking care of myself and it could have been worse.

My goals this Jan:
  1. I will get to the gym (at least) 2x/week.
  2. I'll track on MFP (I'm @javame there)
  3. I'll ditch the bread and most gluten/processed food.
Looking forward to participating with you all!
Michele

Man, I turn my back for 12 hours and I've already got a ton to catch up on! HA! I'm just doing a drive-by check in for now... Just a few minutes before we head to my parents' house for board game night.

I would like to join in to the challenges of 2016. WISH has always been a fun place. OK so to go along with my goals for 2016 I am back to WISH and hopefully I can keep at it more frequently. Is funny that it isn't even the first yet there are already 3 pages of posts to read. I skimmed through them and when I saw MFP names I tried to add them. So if you see a request from jaelless that is me. I was doing sort of good with MFP then I stopped when autumn started which was naughty of me. So now dusting the app off and going to use it again. So about me... My name is Jennifer and I currently live in Jax, FL with my 20 yr old son, six yr old daughter, and my mom (she'd kill me if I gave her age). I hate saying my age cause it sounds so old and I don't feel that old not do I look that old, but I just turned 47 I think LOL I tend to loose track. I am an RN who works night weekends. I also go to college part time in order to eventually become a legal nurse consultant. This year I have big plans. The biggest is to move down to Orlando area at the beginning of December. So most of goals involve that one. I want to save enough money so that when we move we can buy annual passes with water park option LOL I have never been to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach but they look so fun. Another is getting rid of clutter around my house so that moving is easier. Then there are my fitness goals which is why I am here. I would adore becoming healthier this year, which includes losing weight of course. I want to be a good role model for my daughter. My daughter is basically a veggie person, she would not miss meat much, so finding new ways to get her eating healthier is goal. That will also help me eat healthier. She and I bake way too much. I have huge sweet tooth LOL which I need to shrink. I also need to exercise more. I make sure to get 10,000 steps a day, but that is not doing the trick. Have to find what will work this year. So my goal for January is to just lose a pound a week. Not a big goal but challenging since my scale refuses to budge LOL

:welcome: to our group!! WOW! I got tired just reading about everything you have going on - family, a full time job, part time school, moving, exercising. KUDOS to you for taking all of it on and even more kudos for doing it so well! It sounds like you are already an incredible role model for your daughter and for others! A pound a week may not sound like much, but think of it this way - a year from now, you'd be down 52 lbs. THAT is AWESOME! So there is no shame at all in a goal of a pound a week! Let us know if we can do anything to help! I added you on MFP, and I will get your name added to that list, as well - probably tomorrow morning. Feel free to use our forum to help with your de-cluttering goal, too! We aren't limited to just weight loss, and I firmly believe that being organized and de-cluttered does a lot of good for the mind.

I thought of that because I'm planning on being in Nashville in 2016 to do our debt free scream on the Dave Ramsey show but the RNR won't be there when we are. I wanna say April maybe? The other choice that I have is St. Louis but that actually will be around the time when I plan to be in Nashville. I've heard that this race series is really cool.

Let me know if you make it to Nashville and I might drive up to cheer you on! We are just a few hours away, but I've never been to Nashville and DH has an uncle who lives there and has offered to have us up for a weekend, so it's on the list for 2016!

OOPS. Just re-read, and you wouldn't be running in Nashville. Still, though! Let me know if you make it down that way!

I'm Michele, and I tried a few WISH challenges a few yrs back, but I fizzled out on them--a lot of folks on them, I just got overwhelmed with the posts:( But I appreciate that the intro to this challenge said participate at whatever level we can. I like that!

So the 411 on me. I'll be 47 on Jan 31, I have 2 ds's 10 & 14 and amazing dh same age as me--we celebrated 20 yrs of marriage this summer with a Dis Med cruise with our boys, very first cruise, truly once in a lifetime. I'm a FT school teacher, Cub Scout leader, perform regularly in coffee houses as part of an acoustic duo, sing in the choir, etc., etc. Taking a group of high schoolers to Europe in March, would like to take up less room in my airplane seat!

I'm here to hit reset on my life. I love my wine at night, love my carbs, both of which has translated to my clothes getting tighter as I get older. I prob have about 15-20 lbs to lose, truth be told. I'd love to drop 10. My wake up call was a few wks ago when I fainted, just dropped. Dh called 911 and I got an ambulance ride, 7 stitches in my chin and a broken molar which still smarts. They didn't find anything officially "wrong" luckily, most likely just dehydrated, but my takeaway is that I haven't been taking care of myself and it could have been worse.

My goals this Jan:
Michele

:welcome: DO NOT WORRY about falling behind in the posts here! Haha, I'll give you a little tip - odds are it will happen. :rotfl: But that is TOTALLY OK!! Happy early birthday to you, as well! I will get your birthday and your MFP name added to the 1st page tomorrow morning when I come back with our QOTD.

:eek: What a scary thing to happen to you - but, on the bright side (I try hard to see bright sides most of the time! Especially in the threads.) it could have been SO MUCH WORSE, so thank goodness it was only fainting and stitches! Though, I am sorry about your broken molar, too.

Excited to take on this month and this new year with all of you guys!! I am loving this thread already and we haven't even changed the calendar yet!!!

------------------------------------------------

Something for everyone to think about as we leave behind 2015 and wake up with to a brand new chapter tomorrow morning (THOUGH! @Flossbolna isn't it 2016 for you already?!)...

index.jpg
What are you going to let go of as we make this transition? I'm curious to hear your thoughts! I'll check in tonight as I'm able but I will definitely be back tomorrow morning with our first QOTD for 2016!

Yes! I am in for this month of new beginnings! Love the theme; thanks for your enthusiastic and supportive hosting, JacknSally!

I'm Kate, a 50+ RN, wife and mom to 2 young adult kids. I've participated in these monthly challenges Sept thru Nov. December was a super fun, crazy busy month for me - with a fabulous WDW trip, work, and then all of the wonder and hoopla of Christmas! I've lost 17 pounds since rejoining WW mid-August, but it has been a s-l-o-w process! I'm averaging a pound a week, which is half the rate of my loss 17 years ago when I made Lifetime at WW. BUT, this is the first time I've attended WW beyond mid-Oct and the first time I've lost weight in the late Fall/ early Winter months. This thread definitely helped with that - great support and another layer of accountability.

My usual weigh-in is on Friday, so no weigh-in last week and this week will also be a no - go, unless I can get there on Saturday. I just got a great, accurate digital scale for Christmas, so I can certainly utilize that! My goal will be 4 pounds, since I can't seem to get past one pound/week.

Looking forward to a great new year!

Welcome back, friend! So happy to be doing another challenge with you!!

@jackandsally Do a 5K!!!!! They're fun. On most run/walk programs you're up to 3 miles by the first or second week. If you enjoy it and believe in yourself you can do it! As for my tattoos it's always easier to show rather than tell. I keep putting my next one off because of training I wanted another one on my thigh (a fox to offset the jackalope) but I think the next one will be on my right shoulder/chest. Just some flowers. Anyway. I only* have 3 which comes with an asterisk because they're pretty big.

Forgive me for the weird crop but ew feet and ew my toes. And yes I'm that level of day glow pale. It goes around my ankle (down on the bones too) and up the back of my calf a little bit. It was all done free hand.
1q49he.jpg

My feather that I have to stand up for all the time.
rhit5y.jpg

And my jackalope because my life seems to be rabbit themed.
2la3azs.jpg

And now I'm going to go run in the street because it's warm enough that there is no ice where it's already melted... I really need to suck it up and buy yaktrax.

LOVE your tattoos! I have one on my right foot, too, but it's nowhere near as complex, haha. I did well to get through the pain for the one I have! Your feather is GORGEOUS and your jackalope is absolutely adorable, too!!

My goals this Jan:
Michele

I sent you a friend request on MFP but have no clue if I did it right. New to MFP.

------------------------------------------------

Something for everyone to think about as we leave behind 2015 and wake up with to a brand new chapter tomorrow morning (THOUGH! @Flossbolna isn't it 2016 for you already?!)...

What are you going to let go of as we make this transition? I'm curious to hear your thoughts! I'll check in tonight as I'm able but I will definitely be back tomorrow morning with our first QOTD for 2016!

Physically I have been getting rid of lots of clutter around my place LOL Mentally I am going to attempt to get rid of my fear of calories. I have read over and over how if the body doesn't get enough calories it goes into starvation mode. Perhaps that is what is thwarting my efforts. I cut too many calories. So going to track my calories using MFP (which says I get about 2000/day) and see what happens. Just have to make sure I take in good calories and not a pizza LOL

btw: you are so right, a lb a week is 52 lbs which would be so awesome!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter