AKV point chart

If people are ("brave,stupid,misguideded,wise, fill in the gap") enough to buy the points without knowing how many they will need for their typical stay that is their decision, personally I would not, but hey its their money to do with as they will, I too noticed an increase over greenbans points for when I would want to stay which would be i a studio. Its a considerable number more for a full week than any other resort.

I had to change the total purchase amt for my contract as my guide gave me the wrong info for stays - turned out Tony's (greenban) chart was correct for the stays I was considering.

Seems to me though that most people seem to purchase in "rounded" amounts rather than exacts, anyway. For instance, 52 points (or 104, with banking or borrowing) would cover a number of combinations exactly, but I'd guess many more people will add on 50 rather than 52, etc.

Does anyone know what the sleeping configurations are for the studios? Just one queen-sized bed? Two, like in OKW? Any extra seating? Bathrooms like OKW, or like the others?
Since we usually use studios when it's only the two of us, and we go during the "low" seasons, those point tables seem like a bargain to me! Am I misreading them :confused3 ?
Don't know if we'll add on at some time, but I'm really excited about staying there!:banana:

Am I reading this right?

In the lowest season (early Dec etc)
A Savannah View Studio is only 11 points during the week?
Studios

Value: 8/16, 8/17, 9/19, 11/21, 14/27
Std: 9/19, 10/20, 11/22, 12/25, 16/32
Sav: 11/23, 12/24, 13/26, 15/30, 20/40
Concierge: 13/27, 14/28, 15/31, 17/35, 23/45

Thanks for posting the point chart. Do You know how many people each category of value room sleeps or do they not have information about room capacity? Thanks!:goodvibes
The value villas are smaller so they will sleep the same number of people as the existing DVCs (4/4/8). The sleeper chair we've been hearing about that allows 5 people in a 1BR and 9 in a 2BR will not be available in the value villas.

Studios in the main lodge building will come in two sizes: 316 sq feet and 365* sq feet. The smaller ones are "value" studios. (* I think I misheard this because 355 sq ft would make more sense. The deluxe rooms at AKL are 40 sq ft larger than the standard rooms so I would expect the difference in size between a "value" studio and the other studios would be approx. 40 sq ft, not 50 sq ft.)

Some of the 1 BRs in the main lodge building will be 629 sq ft and others will be 710 sq feet. Again, I believe the smaller ones will be "value" 1BRs.

Lisa, DVC reported to the CA Dept of RE last October that there would be 316sf studios, so the number you heard may be correct (or at least it may have been correct at one time). Also, DVC reported that some 2 bedroom lockoffs would be about 945 sf, so that sound like a 629sf 1 br connected to a 316sf studio.

They also reported some 1075sf 2 bedroom lockoffs, which is exactly the size of those built at SSR. It is also consistent with a 710sf 1 br connected to a 355sf studio. I am guessing that is the size of the units in the new buildings. So I would expect the layout to be similar to SSR, with the addition of the reported fold out chair. Not sure how the reported additional bathroom in the 1BR fits into these size units.

-- Suzanne

Am I reading this right?

In the lowest season (early Dec etc)
A Savannah View Studio is only 11 points during the week?
Studios

Value: 8/16, 8/17, 9/19, 11/21, 14/27
Std: 9/19, 10/20, 11/22, 12/25, 16/32
Sav: 11/23, 12/24, 13/26, 15/30, 20/40
Concierge: 13/27, 14/28, 15/31, 17/35, 23/45

ACtually, Savanah view will be available in ALL of the catagories. Our guide said about 78% of all units will have Savanah view, and that it will be available in all room catagories. the Value, Standard, Savanah, and Concierge are just the catagories of room levels available. That does not mean that ALL rooms in each of those catagories is Savanah view. He also did not know if savanah view would be a bookable guarantee, but I would certainly hope so!!

ACtually, Savanah view will be available in ALL of the catagories. Our guide said about 78% of all units will have Savanah view, and that it will be available in all room catagories. the Value, Standard, Savanah, and Concierge are just the catagories of room levels available. That does not mean that ALL rooms in each of those catagories is Savanah view. He also did not know if savanah view would be a bookable guarantee, but I would certainly hope so!!

So why is there a separate catergory for Savanaha view on the Disney point calculator ???

I think it'll be available in all categories, but not guaranteed unless you book the Savannah View. ;)

So why is there a separate catergory for Savanaha view on the Disney point calculator ???

To ENSURE you get a savannah view.

There are savannah view rooms in the value and club categories (maybe standard, too) but you're rolling the dice on actually getting one. On the value side (and standard too, if, as is being reported, some standards offer savannah view), you're trading economy for the gaurentee...on the club level, you're trading the luxury of concierge benefits for the guarentee.

We're going to roll the dice every 2nd or 3rd year and spring for club (if we can get it, that is...looks like the number of room is pretty limited!) on previous year banked points.

Lisa, DVC reported to the CA Dept of RE last October that there would be 316sf studios, so the number you heard may be correct (or at least it may have been correct at one time). Also, DVC reported that some 2 bedroom lockoffs would be about 945 sf, so that sound like a 629sf 1 br connected to a 316sf studio.

They also reported some 1075sf 2 bedroom lockoffs, which is exactly the size of those built at SSR. It is also consistent with a 710sf 1 br connected to a 355sf studio. I am guessing that is the size of the units in the new buildings. So I would expect the layout to be similar to SSR, with the addition of the reported fold out chair. Not sure how the reported additional bathroom in the 1BR fits into these size units.

-- Suzanne
Wow -- the numbers actually add up! So it looks like the info I posted might be accurate afterall. Whew!

I got the impression that the 710sf 1BRs are in the lodge. The value 1BRs are 629sf so they were probably created by converting two standard-size AKL rooms into a 1BR. The majority of the lodge 1BRs will be created from two deluxe-size AKL rooms, so they would be 80sf larger which works out to about 710sf. I heard there would be some 807sf 1BRs available, so I'm thinking those would all be in the new building.

..... But 125 should cover what I need most years. We rarely stay over a weekend and even more rare do we go past the magic season. But your correct buying at 50 points or so just to get in is not smart to say the least. Plus you save $8.00 a point for 100 points or more.

But if someone already owns 400-500 points, they'll be staying at the other resorts often enough. A 50 point AKV contract might work out well for them, using banking and borrowing, and having 150 AKV points to use every 3rd year. Thus they'd be staying in their other home resorts during the off years, etc.

As for saving the $8.00, it's not necessary a good thing. Buying something just because it's on sale doesn't always make sense. It only works if it's something you need. Maybe for some buyers, they don't have enough free time during the year to use all their existing points plus another 100 points, every year.

I know this is a big DVC but I am thinking this resort is going to sell out very quickly. This whole AKV (or VAK or whatever) is more than ever imagined. Unless you hate animals and I doubt most do, this looks so amazing.

As I see it:
1. Resonable Buy in Price ($93-$103)
2. Great Views
3. Low Points - This one is HUGE!!
4. Excellent Pool - This is great too
5. Full Service Restaurants
6. Great Theming
7. Conciege Rooms (With Free Food and Drinks!!!) - really Great
8. Lots of Savanah Views

It has the making of a quick selling DVC. My guess is that less than 2 years and maybe 1.5 years. Which would be unprecidented.

Weaknesses and there are not many:
1. DIstance from Parks and other hotels (can't walk to anywhere)
2. Thats all I got????:confused3

I think it'll be available in all categories, but not guaranteed unless you book the Savannah View. ;)
I would be surprised if you could get a value room with a savannah view. I believe those are the standard-size rooms on the 5th floor and I believe most (maybe all) of them face the parking lot. There might be some that face the pool area, but I'm not sure about that.

I've only stayed on the Sunset and the Arusha savannahs, but as I recall all of the 5th floor rooms that faced those savannahs were all deluxe-size rooms.

So I'm guessing the booking categories are:

value -- the smaller Lodge villas facing the parking lot
standard - pool and garden views, restricted savannah views
savannah - guaranteed savannah view
concierge - Lodge villas with concierge amenities with pool or savannah view

It has the making of a quick selling DVC. My guess is that less than 2 years and maybe 1.5 years. Which would be unprecidented.

The new buildings are not scheduled to open until 2009 and I don't beleive that DVC can close on the points represented by those rooms until then. I think those buildings have about 2/3 of the rooms and thus, about 2/3 of the points. So while the points in the existing lodge building may sell out quickly, I think there will be a lag time due to the timing of opening the new buildings.

Of course, during that lag time, SSR will probably be sold out and there may not be any other new DVC resorts available for sale.

Also, you may be overestimating the number of DVC members who will want to own at AKV. I have never stayed at AKL, but we love to visit. Our typical stay at DVC, however, is around 10 nights. I can't see staying at AKL for that length of time. I will probably do a split stay with BWV (where we own) becuase I love walking to Epcot and the Studios. With about 80% of the rooms at AKV reported to be savannah view, only time will tell, but I expect to be able to snag a couple of nights savannah view from time to time at the 7 month window.

Of course, those who like concierge will probably need to buy at AKV to get the 11 month window (even if there are more than the reported 5 rooms).

I would expect time will also tell about the demand for value and standard rooms and a lot will depend on the perceived value of those rooms. One of the reasons standard view rooms at BWV sell out so quickly is that many believe they offer equal or better views to those offered for the higher point pool/garden view rooms. Now that a few of the BWV standard rooms have an acknowledged and significant noise problem (due to the proximity to the ME luggage truck unloading zone), the perceived value of these rooms may decline somewhat.

In any event, at this time, I would not expect to have an easy time booking value or standard without owning AKV, but this really doesn't matter to me. For me, the point to staying at AKV is a guaranteed savannah view room.

Also, I am not in this camp, but I know that some will want to own at AKV just to get the higher occupancy in 1 and 2 BRs, but it seems unlikely that this will apply to the value rooms.

-- Suzanne

As for saving the $8.00, it's not necessary a good thing. Buying something just because it's on sale doesn't always make sense. It only works if it's something you need. Maybe for some buyers, they don't have enough free time during the year to use all their existing points plus another 100 points, every year.

Good Point! I'm thinking for myself that I would want to go every year to AKV, and still use my SSR points atleast once a year for WDW and maybe throw in a HH or VB. Plus maybe stay on FRi and Sat which I don't do now. It would give me a lot of points but I'm sure I could use them. You are only getting around 8 free points for buying 100, not that great a deal but a good excuse to buy more points that I wanted anyway:yay: I'm thinking 125 will be enough, I have 325 at SSR

I assume the values are 4/8, and all other categories are 5/9
That appears to be correct, that the difference in the value rooms is that they are smaller and where applicable will not accommodate the extra. Apparently many of these are somewhat odd shaped rooms as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter