AKV-Preview Ctr.- Studio - Photos

ok never stayed at AKL so do the rooms that they are turning into DVC all have a balcony or 1st fl patio
The rooms in the Lodge building that are being converted are on the 5th and 6th floors and all have balconies.

Well, I'm definitely in the minority, but I agree with Wolfpack Fan.
I'm EXTREMELY disappointed. I think the furnishings and colors are mismatched, and cheap looking.

I like the leather (or leatherette) sofa in the 1 bd. The armoire is pretty, but I'd honestly rather have a closet.

I think the kitchen is gross with black appliances, granite countertops, yuck brown painted back bar, and really horrid cabinetry. YUCK.

I don't like the tiles in the bathroom because over all, considering the whitewhite of the tub and toilet, the bizarre and definitely NON African looking shower curtain, and lack of harmony in the color values of the tile, granite, paint....well, it just doesnt' look good to me in the least.

I was waiting to see the models before purchasing an add on. Now I don't think I want an add on. Bummer.

I have to say after looking at the pictures, I'm a little disappointed. IMO it all looks rather cheap looking. The countertops look very thin and cheap and the open areas under the sink look very utilitarian. Surely they are going to put some doors on them. IMO the furnishings look mis-matched. I'm still excited about our purchase at AKV, but I'm kind of letdown on the unit's appearance.

Ditto.
But DH likes the decor, so I'll be on the phone May 16th.

I love them! The black appliances are modern. If they were white instead you would have the same problem of the "white white" toilet and bathtub against the brown tile floor.
The rooms look great for the style they are representing. I completely understand if people don't care for the style, however. Everyone has their own taste. If you don't like it stay at BCV or OKW! :snooty:
I think the important question to ask is not - "do I think this room is pretty", but "Does this room capture the spirit and atmosphere of a luxury African Hunting Lodge?"
In my opinion yes. I did a little surfing to find images of authentic African hunting lodges and I think what they have created here is fitting to that style and quality of accomodation. :surfweb: I agree that the red sofa in the studio is not as nice as the leather in the one bedroom, and the bathroom in general is not as luxurious, however, the one bedroom is intended to be a more high end room, so this makes sense. I think what they are going for is to create a difference in quality between the studio and one bedroom, not just size- remember, they still sleep the same number of people. ( I guess that isn't true anymore though, you can sleep 5 in a 1br now but not a studio- is that right?)
Bear in mind also that these are unauthorized photos we are viewing- perhaps this will be the difference between the value and standard accomodations- room location and furnishings :confused3
There is a lot we still don't know yet, and a lot that is still subject to change. I think we should be happy for the sneak peak:rolleyes1

Well, I'm definitely in the minority, but I agree with Wolfpack Fan.
I'm EXTREMELY disappointed. I think the furnishings and colors are mismatched, and cheap looking.

I like the leather (or leatherette) sofa in the 1 bd. The armoire is pretty, but I'd honestly rather have a closet.

I think the kitchen is gross with black appliances, granite countertops, yuck brown painted back bar, and really horrid cabinetry. YUCK.

I don't like the tiles in the bathroom because over all, considering the whitewhite of the tub and toilet, the bizarre and definitely NON African looking shower curtain, and lack of harmony in the color values of the tile, granite, paint....well, it just doesnt' look good to me in the least.

I was waiting to see the models before purchasing an add on. Now I don't think I want an add on. Bummer.

DH and I agree. Feb 28th we did add current SSR contract for 50 points at $91 a point and did get our 2006 and 2007 March use year points. Now we have 370 points. I was very disapointed at the AKV mismatched colors. I do not like the dark wood too 70's for me. Love SSR our home resort would like to buy at BWV.:yay:

The rooms look great for the style they are representing. I completely understand if people don't care for the style, however. Everyone has their own taste. If you don't like it stay at BCV or OKW! :snooty:
I think the important question to ask is not - "do I think this room is pretty", but "Does this room capture the spirit and atmosphere of a luxury African Hunting Lodge?"
In my opinion yes. I did a little surfing to find images of authentic African hunting lodges and I think what they have created here is fitting to that style and quality of accomodation. :surfweb:

[...snip...]

I think we should be happy for the sneak peak:rolleyes1

I agree with figment795. Not only because she is my DW and I am engaged in a matrimonial contract:bride::groom: under which I must agree to every thing she says!:love:

I am also very happy for the sneak peek:3dglasses . It just reinforces my decision to not purchase @ AKV.

I haven't done any searching for images of "authentic African hunting lodges, and am not going to spend any time doing so, but simply based on the photos provided, I would have to infer that the owners of said luxury hunting lodges in Africa prefer to decorate with '70's vintage furniture found in rummage/yard/garage sales. The colors don't work for me. Everything seems mis-matched and kind of random. The whole feel of the room is way too dark(as is VWL) and seems to suck all the energy out of the room. As far as I am concerned, the only redeeming feature is the flat screen TV. Not being snooty :snooty: here, just expressing my honest opinion.

I am truly happy for all new AKV owners who enjoy this decor! Enjoy it!

I too am disappointed in the darkness of the room. I'm sure when the real rooms are completed they will be matching in everyway but I just don't see it getting much lighter. I would need to turn on all the lights to not feel like I was in a cave.

But, that is just my opinion, I hate dark furniture, but that will not stop me from buying there to have the 50 year contract.;)

One thing I'm wondering - without a closet where would you put all your luggage after you unpack? I can't imagine there being enough room in that armoir (sp?) thingee to hold clothes plus luggage. I guess you could pile it up in that area between the kitchenette and the room itself (where the connecting door is). But that sure would look tacky. I wonder if you could slide suitcases under the bed.

One thing I'm wondering - without a closet where would you put all your luggage after you unpack? I can't imagine there being enough room in that armoir (sp?) thingee to hold clothes plus luggage. I guess you could pile it up in that area between the kitchenette and the room itself (where the connecting door is). But that sure would look tacky. I wonder if you could slide suitcases under the bed.

You could stack it on TOP of the armoire.
:)

I know, not a good idea, but...I figured I'd throw it out there..

1) The couch. I liked the look of the leather couch in the one bedroom. It added some character to the room and fit in better than a red fabric couch.

you want a leather couch that you will stick to when it gets warm. I prefer
fabric. but I agree that red one is just tacty - green or brown would be better.

until they can come up with unsticking leather anything - I won't like it.

Westgate has those leather couches and I hate them. they are always sticking to your skin. even when the room is cold - if they are in the sunlight.

Thank you for the pictures! I'm LOVING that the floor plans show nightstands on BOTH sides of the studio queen bed. :banana:

The placement of the TV has me a bit concerned. IF it is attached flat to the wall/support without the ability to swivel/tilt it won't be terribly convenient/comfortable to watch from either the sofa or bed. One thing we really like about our BWV studio is having the sofa to sit on for watching TV. I HATE watching TV in hotels/motels where we HAVE to sit on the bed.

I too am disappointed in the darkness of the room. I'm sure when the real rooms are completed they will be matching in everyway but I just don't see it getting much lighter. I would need to turn on all the lights to not feel like I was in a cave.

But, that is just my opinion, I hate dark furniture, but that will not stop me from buying there to have the 50 year contract.;)

I am wondering if the darkness to the rooms has anything to do with the fact that the window is covered by the mural?

you want a leather couch that you will stick to when it gets warm. I prefer
fabric. but I agree that red one is just tacty - green or brown would be better.

until they can come up with unsticking leather anything - I won't like it.

Westgate has those leather couches and I hate them. they are always sticking to your skin. even when the room is cold - if they are in the sunlight.

Hopefully, members using the unit will take care of them. One puncture and it's over. I wonder what the patches will look like.

Wow, not impressed by those room pics. Totally random and unappealing IMO. Must have realized how expensive it was to build posh rooms a la SSR, which, in my opinion, may not have the best theming but is by far and away the nicest rooms in any DVC locale.

The funny thing is, when I looked at the pictures before reading any of these comments, I thought "wow, they have really lightened those rooms up from the regular AKL rooms. I like how much lighter these are. I bet now people won't be complaining that the rooms seem dark."

My YB and myself really like the AKL but the rooms are a bit dark for some people.
Not nearly as light as the GF.
THEO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter