Alligator Incident Discussion/Fence being built at Grand Floridian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd title for the thread "incident"......

I will forever think of Lane Graves whenever I look out at 'the water' while at a Disney resort. God bless him and his family always.

It's because it's a reflection of several threads merged into one. It's not meant to be dismissive of the accident.
I think you're right about the water though. It will be very difficult to travel there and not think of this horribly tragic accident.

Every time I see this, my eye twitches and my blood pressure shoots up.
No, he wasn't doing the butterfly stroke around the Seven Seas Lagoon, so technically he wasn't "swimming". But he was in a body of water with "NO Swimming" signs at night. A two year old. In the water. At night.
I don't care if he was swimming, wading or what, it is never a good idea to allow a child that young and small to play in an unknown body of water that people are not allowed to swim in at night. It just isn't. Splitting hairs over the sign is silly. Even if there wasn't a sign at all and people routinely swam laps around the darn thing during the day, it STILL isn't a good idea to allow a 2 year old baby to get into that water at night. Not to the bottoms of his feet, his ankles, his knees or however deep he was. And not because of the risk of alligator attacks. But because he's a 2 YEAR OLD BABY and it's an unknown body of water in which swimming is prohibited and it's 9 o'clock at night! He could step on a snake, run from his parents and wind up in much deeper water and go under and be very hard to find in the dark in a body of water as huge as that lagoon.

All that said, people make mistakes. Disney makes mistakes AND PARENTS MAKE MISTAKES. Disney will most likely take the blame for this and the parents will receive a lot of money that will not bring their son back or change the "woulda, shoulda, couldas" that are doubtless plaguing them right now.

The fact remains that if that little fella had been a foot or so away from the water instead of in it, he would most likely still be here. Gators listen for splashing and hunt IN the water because they can then easily subdue (drown) their prey. So staying OUT Of the water hugely reduces anyone's chance of getting attacked by a gator.
I cannot like this post enough.

My eye twitches too.

It doesn't matter what he was doing in the water. He was a two year old. TWO. In that murky, swampy, water. I don't care what kind of sign there was. He shouldn't have been in it.

Yes, we all make mistakes. I know, I did with my son. But some mistakes are deadly. And this one was.

It's because it's a reflection of several threads merged into one. It's not meant to be dismissive of the accident.
I think you're right about the water though. It will be very difficult to travel there and not think of this horribly tragic accident.

Thanks for the clarification....

I cannot like this post enough.

My eye twitches too.

It doesn't matter what he was doing in the water. He was a two year old. TWO. In that murky, swampy, water. I don't care what kind of sign there was. He shouldn't have been in it.

Yes, we all make mistakes. I know, I did with my son. But some mistakes are deadly. And this one was.

I feel the same way. I have been to that beach many times and NEVER let my kids go near that water. Not only because of the snakes, bacteria and alligators, but it is swampy, green and gross. My heart breaks for the family of this poor little boy, but it doesn't change the fact that it was an accident and no fault of Disney. Signs are posted for a reason.

Here is what I don't get, is how people who say they come to Florida all the time have never seen a gator. No offence, but even when we get off the plane, and take the monorail into the main section of the airport, we will often see an alligator. And it's not like I am able to visit all the time, due to geographical reasons. Over the years we see alligators on at least half of our visits. Perhaps we are looking for them more, or are more aware of our surroundings, but we do- growing up in the North you need to be aware of where you are and what is around you. We have seen them swimming in the water, on the Disney golf courses while playing golf, on the side of the highway within Disney property, we have even seen one that was being captured in the moat around the Magic Kingdom. We were not too surprised by it, and mentioned it to a cast member while waiting for the Jungle Cruise. They told us that although it is rare to see them around the Moat, they usually will find them along the Jungle Cruise during mating season. Apparently, the alligators mistake the fake ones for the real ones. To be honest, this incident just tears at my heart and has really really bothered me. This one incident has now profoundly affected this family's life- even when they watch tv and see an ad for the Disney movie to come out, they will be reminded. It's all of the little things in years to come that will continually affect them, and I don't think they will ever get over something like this. My prayers and thoughts are to them and all of Orlando. I also think that what happened to this little boy could have happened to anybody and I hope that there are water fences to help stop the alligators from coming to the beaches. Tourists also need to get it together and stop feeding the animals- this isn't rocket science. I hope Disney begins to fine these people and perhaps sign a waiver when they check in that they will not feed the animals.

Apparently alligators are in the parks too. Time for an alligator hunting excursion. That's what we do up north with overpopulated deer.

Just be careful of black widows, rattle snacks, black bears, the cases of bubonic plague in MI, oh and those deers could have deer ticks and they carry Lyme disease. According to dhs.wisconsin.gov there have been 23,000 cases of Lyme disease in WI since 1980.

My point is every region of this country has risks, natural and man made. All you can do is educate yourself, take reasonable precautions, yet sometime, even with the best perpetration accidents happen and people can get hurt or worse.

Just be careful of black widows, rattle snacks, black bears, the cases of bubonic plague in MI, oh and those deers could have deer ticks and they carry Lyme disease. According to dhs.wisconsin.gov there have been 23,000 cases of Lyme disease in WI since 1980.

My point is every region of this country has risks, natural and man made. All you can do is educate yourself, take reasonable precautions, yet sometime, even with the best perpetration accidents happen and people can get hurt or worse.
I only said that because it sounds like alligators are overpopulated in Florida. They could be hunted for eating purposes. That's what happens in the north when deer becomes overpopulated. During hunting seasons of course.

I only said that because it sounds like alligators are overpopulated in Florida. They could be hunted for eating purposes. That's what happens in the north when deer becomes overpopulated. During hunting seasons of course.
Pretty sure the state of Florida does have rules/regulations about this.

What does that have to do with this topic?
Might help to read the whole thread. The poster was replying to the fact another was going home to WI and only had to worry about the deer eating her flowers. Also points out the risk anywhere in the US. Just like here in CO a mom had to literally rescue her five year old from the jaws of a mountain lion this week in her own front yard.

Pretty sure the state of Florida does have rules/regulations about this.
I'm sure they do but eventually it may come to that and they may at some point change their laws.

Actually just looked this up with
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation. Yes they can be hunted with a license.

Last edited:
Every time I see this, my eye twitches and my blood pressure shoots up.
No, he wasn't doing the butterfly stroke around the Seven Seas Lagoon, so technically he wasn't "swimming". But he was in a body of water with "NO Swimming" signs at night. A two year old. In the water. At night.
I don't care if he was swimming, wading or what, it is never a good idea to allow a child that young and small to play in an unknown body of water that people are not allowed to swim in at night. It just isn't. Splitting hairs over the sign is silly. Even if there wasn't a sign at all and people routinely swam laps around the darn thing during the day, it STILL isn't a good idea to allow a 2 year old baby to get into that water at night. Not to the bottoms of his feet, his ankles, his knees or however deep he was. And not because of the risk of alligator attacks. But because he's a 2 YEAR OLD BABY and it's an unknown body of water in which swimming is prohibited and it's 9 o'clock at night! He could step on a snake, run from his parents and wind up in much deeper water and go under and be very hard to find in the dark in a body of water as huge as that lagoon.

All that said, people make mistakes. Disney makes mistakes AND PARENTS MAKE MISTAKES. Disney will most likely take the blame for this and the parents will receive a lot of money that will not bring their son back or change the "woulda, shoulda, couldas" that are doubtless plaguing them right now.

The fact remains that if that little fella had been a foot or so away from the water instead of in it, he would most likely still be here. Gators listen for splashing and hunt IN the water because they can then easily subdue (drown) their prey. So staying OUT Of the water hugely reduces anyone's chance of getting attacked by a gator.
Well said. Nobody should be in that water at any time. Splitting hair on what no swimming means is silly. To me no swimming means stay out of the water. Period. It's like the no diving signs at a pool, so kids figure jumping in is ok.
I cringe every time I see children in the shallows. So sad this was totally preventable. I can't imagine how the parents will get thru this.
I will have a heavy heart too when we stay at GF this summer and look at the beach we loved to spend time on. Can't help but think of that poor boy.

Last edited:
If they have mentioned this in the news or it has been posted on a thread, I missed it but Disney has said they will keep searching for the alligator that attakced the little boy. How will they know if they have found the right alligator ?

I believe they will try to match the alligator's teeth with any bite marks found on the victim.

If there is something more dangerous towards an unwanted alligator encounter than gathering children within feet of shallow swampy water at night, please let me know what it is.

So they put the beach film and s'mores pit right at the edge of the water? Honestly, how far is it, 10 ft, 20 ft, most likely more? A gator isn't going to come up the beach and grab a kid. I think you miss the point that this accident happened in the water (yes only a foot or two) but not even waters edge. My reading of the news is the it also happened long after the beach activities (and the news never even said if this family was participating in those actives). I would think the have a bunch of kids around a fire pit is a greater risk of accident then watching a movie yards away from a gator "infested" lagoon. I think we are having a bit of a knee jerk reaction to learning Disney isn't 100% safe. (And to be honest I worry far more about human threats at Disney then animal threats-are you sure you aren't projecting a bit on the gator and are truly more worried about the night club?)

I find this entire thread interesting as I believe Disney has a much bigger safety worry than a gator or two. Disney will pay millions (if the Grave family wants) to avoid a lawsuite and the liability. They will put up signs and rope fences to avoid liability in the future; but you have to believe that Disney is much, much, much more worried about the lone wolf then the lone gator. Yet we have 22 pages about gator protection and narry a thread about the fact the Disney might have been "cassed" by a terrorist. I am left to wonder if those who had the Disney Magic fade are really worried about a gator.

This attack had to have happened during the beach movie. When we returned to our hotel, the helicopters were already circling the lake. There was an ambulance on the beach and the beach was cleared. We were returning from Epcot to find all of this happening around ten o'clock.

I'm sure everyone hopes this family can heal and move on. I know some people will be more affected than others by this tragedy. I'm affected more deeply maybe because I was there and maybe because I was babysitting my two year old granddaughter. But Disney is Disney. Thousands of people will continue to come day after day and not care one bit. I think people who dismiss this as an everyday occurrence have a life philosophy as such. Nothing really affects them. But they should feel some empathy for the loss of this innocent child. A mother is grieving. A father is grieving. The family is grieving. Something should be done to prevent this from happening again. That's all I hope for in the future.

I have been reading reports here that guests feed the alligators at Disney from their rooms - presumably the bungalows and water view rooms. The animal experts have said the alligators are afraid of humans as a rule, but that when human start feeding them they become "nuisance" alligators who become less and less fearful about approaching people. These same gators then become dangerous to other guests. How about a zero tolerance policy for those who are caught engaging in this? Or warning info for those in water adjacent rooms? If you are caught, you are asked to leave. No exceptions.

**Moderator note: Please use this thread for discussion of the alligator incident at the Grand Floridian, and related information/concerns. New threads on this topic will be merged in or closed as necessary.***
It's common sense not to feed wildlife. Unfortunately common sense is not that common. Where I live we have to be careful about bears, all garbage containers here are Bear proof now. In areas where bears are common. Sadly when they find a food access they become habituated, and nuisance bears. Much like all wild life.
When we ate at Flametree there was a gator hanging out by the lakeside tables. I'm sure because it was being fed. The feeding behaviour is forever altered.

I would like to see something with maybe big rocks/grass/something that looks a little more natural along the sand line. Stills barrier that says "don't go there" but something that looks more like it belongs.
I guess you've never seen kids around big rocks.

This attack had to have happened during the beach movie. When we returned to our hotel, the helicopters were already circling the lake. There was an ambulance on the beach and the beach was cleared. We were returning from Epcot to find all of this happening around ten o'clock.

It reportedly happened at 9:16pm. The movie was said to have ended at 8:30pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter