And I am here for the Food...A Disney SOMETIME (AUG '20 mini trip) Report (9/10 update)

So I've just returned from a few nights at my brother's house/farm in NC. We mostly lounged by their pool, took a walk around the farm (they have 15 acres I think) and Saturday morning we were awakened by my 7yo nephew at 5:30am announcing "the baby horse was born!". There were ZERO teenagers/20-somethings waking up for that, but I went out to see the very new to this world baby colt. He was so cute...and huge.

My brother did take the kids out on their pond for a while, where he has taken this paddleboat and added a motor to it. His boys love to fish and go out in the boat here.

All in all, it was a lovely time spent with family. Sure wish my dad had taken the time to make the 3 hour drive up at some point to see us, since we drover 7+ hours south, but nope. His priorities are just too messed up for me to even be surprised any longer.

So we are discussing perhaps another family outing to the beach at some point and I'm doing some research to see if I can find something that will work for all of us. I sure hope we can work that out. My nephews do year round school there so they start again in July.

So nothing new to report right now. We've had beautiful weather here in Maryland the last week or so and I've been playing lots of tennis. Also made a decision to sell my car as I am planning on replacing it...but as of now don't have a replacement vehicle. Let me tell you if you ever decide to sell a vehicle on FB Marketplace...maybe not do it because the CRAZIES come out of the woodwork, offering me anywhere from $4000 to $6000 below my asking price. I mean I expect some offers...but seriously? Thankfully I got one sane person interested and tonight I sold it to him...very nice older man and his wife...it was very easy thankfully. And now...I'm totally vehicle-less. I have some feelers out for the vehicle I think I want so we'll see what happens but in the meantime...no car payment for me at least. I was ridiculously sad about it as I cleaned out my car last night though. I've only owned it for about a year and a half.

I'm definitely sad that we don't have any Disney trips to look forward to but I think it is best that we wait until next year to revisit Florida. This makes me sad. I am anxious to read about the trips for those visiting the park though.

So it's been a busy week. I played tennis every day last week, and then found out last weekend that my car was on it's way...and on Monday I got to pick up this beauty:

It's so lovely...and had a whole 4 miles when I bought it...and now is close to 500 miles in about a week. I love driving it...but around here that can be a bit scary...this is what I had to deal with today after a short trip to pick up some food:

Non-Drivers

Anyway...this was also me last week as I awaited my youngest child taking his learner's permit test:

It is official...I have a 3rd driver in this house. Actually let him drive the new car down the street and into the driveway on Tuesday, when the car was less than 24 hours in my ownership, but he did fine. His dad has had him out a few more times...so in about 9 more months we might be done with teaching driving around here!

In other news, no Disney trips on the horizon but we are doing a beach trip this week. We are most likely going to the Outer Banks of NC for a few nights, but I remain with having the option to change my mind. We shall see.

Other than that, no new news to report here. Just working. And tennis. And dreaming of returning to Disney sometime next year!

Long time, no post...not much to talk about really. We had a quick getaway to Virginia Beach during July 4th weekend which was great...and felt overall safe as Virginia and Maryland are both pretty close in terms of how they are handling COVID-19 and current practices. We had a nice oceanfront room for 4 nights and just enjoyed time at the beach, pool and overall area for a few days. The day we returned we celebrated my youngest child's 16th birthday...crazy! He's currently in the process of learning how to drive now, but my husband has done more driving with him than I have and I'm not quite ready to let him loose with my car even with me in it yet.

I am really itching to plan a trip somewhere again...but where is the big question. I just can't risk taking my family to Florida with the current situation there and it seems to only be getting worse. Even for our trip to Virginia (a 3+ hour drive for us) I ended up taking a morning to take DH to the local walk-in medical clinic for back issues. Seems it's a pattern with him and us visiting medical clinics on vacation...we've been to so many on the east coast already. I can't risk us being in FLA and having to take him somewhere like that.

The other thing is that our reason for going to Florida is to eat at Flying Fish...and right now you can't get a reservation there. So our reason for going on a FLA trip would be to have the same plan we had in March to eat at a few signature restaurants...and we can't even get reservations at those restaurants. Maybe once they open up we will try to go, but who knows when that will be right now. I do know that we have just about two months to book our flight credits...so worst case I'll see what our options are for September for flights and just book something...maybe for next March? I just looked out of curiousity for flights in November and December on Spirit...and oh my gosh they are INSANELY priced...like $400+ each way. Yikes!

It is a shame because looking at the parks right now they are so empty that it would be GREAT to walk around them right now. Yet we couldn't park hop which really sucks as we currently have ONE DAY park hopper tickets to use.

I can't wait to hear about the reports from others as they visit over the coming weeks!

Hello Dina! I know you're saying "um, do I know you CruellaNY?" And I assure you, you do! It was great to meet you at Boma on Thanksgiving 2018 :)
Surprise lol! Glad you enjoyed Va. Beach. I know the decision to go or not to go to Florida now is hard-or easy but sad - and hopefully you get there sooner rather than later. I also agree on the lack of signatures open. We go next week (and get to hang with @Jenny Sanders and her DH Joe again!) and are eating at CG with them, and it stinks that's really the only option other than Tiffins.

So nice that you got to go to a beach for a few days, even if it isn't in FL!!

I'd be a basket case teaching a 16 year old to drive...my DS is 17 but hasn't even got his learners' permit yet...and I'm not nagging him on that one lol

Hello Dina! I know you're saying "um, do I know you CruellaNY?" And I assure you, you do! It was great to meet you at Boma on Thanksgiving 2018 :)
Surprise lol! Glad you enjoyed Va. Beach. I know the decision to go or not to go to Florida now is hard-or easy but sad - and hopefully you get there sooner rather than later. I also agree on the lack of signatures open. We go next week (and get to hang with @Jenny Sanders and her DH Joe again!) and are eating at CG with them, and it stinks that's really the only option other than Tiffins.

Ah...so great to "see" you here!

I am looking forward to reading you take on the parks. I must say seeing just how empty it is right now makes it VERY tempting. I just would still want the whole experience including hopping and the other restaurants.

Well hello there Dina and @CruellaNY !!! I'm glad you had a good time in Va beach too.

Thanks!!!

So nice that you got to go to a beach for a few days, even if it isn't in FL!!

I'd be a basket case teaching a 16 year old to drive...my DS is 17 but hasn't even got his learners' permit yet...and I'm not nagging him on that one lol

Since I've been through 2 kids driving already I think it will be fine with this one but I hear you. I was surprisingly pretty calm about teaching my kids, my DH usually is not as patient but he seems to be better with child #3...especially considering he has him driving his "baby"...his 2015 Mustang Convertible!

Looks amazing enjoy

Thanks!

Ah...so great to "see" you here!

I am looking forward to reading you take on the parks. I must say seeing just how empty it is right now makes it VERY tempting. I just would still want the whole experience including hopping and the other restaurants.
I do plan on writing a TR so be on the lookout when I return :thumbsup2 I knew crowds would be low but the pictures I’m seeing and reports I’m getting are unbelievable! Never thought I’d see parks that empty.......

I do plan on writing a TR so be on the lookout when I return :thumbsup2 I knew crowds would be low but the pictures I’m seeing and reports I’m getting are unbelievable! Never thought I’d see parks that empty.......
Honestly it looks like how I recall the parks were the weekend after 9/11...except we still had shows and parades then and we weren't wearing masks.

Signs, Signs, every there's SIGNS!

What am I talking about?

Shhh...don't tell anybody else as I am only sharing it here right now...but we just might be going to Disney World NEXT WEEK!

I'm in the early planning stages right now for a very short 3 night trip, without the kids, to the Happiest Place on Earth.

And just for the record, this was not even MY idea. I'll be throwing my husband under the bus if anybody asks. Not that he had to twist my arm too hard of course.

HOW did this happen suddenly? Husband was outside tonight and happened upon our neighbors who live two doors down. They are also big Disney fans, and whenever we see them outside invariably the subject comes up. So husband runs into the neighbor husband outside as he gets home and neighbor proceeds to tell them how they were JUST back from a trip to WDW (and he has 2 adult kids so I'm not sure who all went but they are all big fans and had to cancel their trip in March because...Corona!) and tells him how safe they felt, how awesome it was, how much they enjoyed it. Husband tells me this when he comes inside...and immediately we start thinking...maybe just MAYBE we should try to see this for ourselves.

By the way on one of our previous Disney trips we literally crossed paths with these same neighbors in the airport at MCO...they were arriving as we were departing!

Now my 20yo son thinks we are insane and has agreed to have the basement ready for our 14 day quarantine when we return.

My other kids don't know and my daughter for SURE will be SUPER pissed that she can't go, but considering she and I have done a few mother-daughter trips this year, including last week where we spent 2 nights/3 days at the beach with some dear friends, I can manage to shelve some of my mom guilt when she finds out about this.

You know what is also very funny about all of this? Today in the mail I received a $50 Disney Gift Card. Why? Well back in Jan/Feb a cousin of mine who lives in California sent my name to a friend of hers who was planning her first Disney trip with her family. My cousin knew I would be able to guide her and I provided her lots of good information of course and helped plan...and then of course they ended up postponing their trip. In the meantime, she asked me for my home address recently and I figured maybe to send me a thank you note...which I got today with that gift card. I didn't even mention the gift card to my husband until AFTER this whole Disney conversation took place.

Coincidence? Sign? You decide but I truly believe I need to take this as a sign that we should go.

And so stay tuned for the details of our Super Secret Squirrel August Adults Only trip!!! :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter