Another Airline Spinoff

Julie's Haircut

DIS Veteran
Have you flown on any airlines that are now defunct, either through bankruptcy or merger with/acquisition by another airline?

PEOPLExpress
USAir
Continental
Northwest (Orient)
Eastern
TWA
Braniff (not the original, but one of the times it was resurrected)
AirTran
Piedmont (I really liked this one)
Midway
America West

Canadian (Pacific)

Only Northwest. Did it back in the late 90s on a visit to Chicago. Weird too as we got a good fare, but the return flight to San Francisco was through Detroit.

I guess the other defunct airlines I've traveled on were Pacific Southwest Airlines, CAAC Airlines, and Reno Air.

PSA (bought by US Airways):

800px-Pacific_Southwest_Airlines_L-1011_N1079.jpg

CAAC Airlines (split off into several airlines including Air China and China Eastern):

800px-CAAC_Boeing_747SP_B-2444_CDG_1981-10-26.png

Reno Air (bought by American Airlines):

800px-Reno_Air_N823RA.jpg

• U.S. Airways
  • Midwest Express
  • Northwest Airlines
  • Continental (ETA)

are the ones I can think of.

My stepmom was a travel agent and back in the day she got $25 each way per person with Northwest so we flew that a lot. She had a deal also with Delta but that was $50 each way per person. The kicker was they were standby tickets always.

Last edited:

Northwest (flew them almost exclusively for about 5 years)
Continental
TWA
US Airways

I actualy hadn't realized Contintal isn't out there anymore until I saw the mentions in this thread.

Just AirTran for me. The only thing I remember about them was they lost my luggage when I went to DW. Took 3 days to get it back and it was only a 6 day trip :mad:

My dad worked for Eastern so a decent amount of travel growing up because of our benefits. I had a job offer from TWA - they flew me to/from St. Louis to interview but they stopped hiring before I started class and I was a flight attendant for ValuJet (who turned in to AirTran) for less that a year before they shut down. I'm sure there were others along the way.....

USAir
Northworst
Continental
AirTran - once right before the merger
Piedmont - It was one of those weird forever ago memories where I wasn’t even sure it was a plane but remembered their logo. My parents told me we flew Piedmont several times when I was young.

I was Platinum on Continental for a couple years - it had a hub in Cleveland and I was flying a lot internationally for work in the 90's.

Flew AirTran a few times out of CAK - they had some pretty good, reasonably-priced routes. Was bummed when they got swallowed up (by Southwest?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter