• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

Just checking in from Maine. It's 87 degrees outside and I teach in a portable classroom, aka "Tin Can." No a/c, windows open, fans cranking- and the sun's about to shine in our windows. Yippee. Tomorrow we should be back to our "normal" early fall temps, and I can't wait!

It's been a month of travel. The weekend of Sept. 15, DH and I went to NYC to see Paul McCartney (also got Springsteen as a curtain call bonus!). We also saw "Miss Saigon" on Broadway. DH and I had a great weekend and spent WAY too much money on alcohol, but boy, did we have fun. Last weekend I bussed down to CT to spend DD's 24th birthday with her and then drive home my 2005 PTCruiser. DD has been driving it for the past 3 years but finally bought her own car (2009 Honda Fit). The Cruiser made it home (6 hour drive) with no true problems, although there are a couple of issues that have me concerned (see the "Guesses about my car" thread). THIS weekend, DH and I travel to Springfield, MA for my cousin's 80th birthday. It's a surprise party and the whole family will be there. This is the side of the family with which we lost touch for 40+ years, so it's always exciting to get together with them. DD and her boyfriend will drive up from CT to be there, too. I have to say, as much as I love to travel, I am ready to stay home for a bit. There is the never-ending "to do" list that I haven't touched in awhile, and that ever-growing mountain of dirty laundry, LOL! I know... enjoy it while I can. Soon enough it'll be February and we'll all be house-bound, suffering from cabin fever and frigid weather, right?

Just checking in from Maine. It's 87 degrees outside and I teach in a portable classroom, aka "Tin Can." No a/c, windows open, fans cranking- and the sun's about to shine in our windows. Yippee. Tomorrow we should be back to our "normal" early fall temps, and I can't wait!

It's been a month of travel. The weekend of Sept. 15, DH and I went to NYC to see Paul McCartney (also got Springsteen as a curtain call bonus!). We also saw "Miss Saigon" on Broadway. DH and I had a great weekend and spent WAY too much money on alcohol, but boy, did we have fun. Last weekend I bussed down to CT to spend DD's 24th birthday with her and then drive home my 2005 PTCruiser. DD has been driving it for the past 3 years but finally bought her own car (2009 Honda Fit). The Cruiser made it home (6 hour drive) with no true problems, although there are a couple of issues that have me concerned (see the "Guesses about my car" thread). THIS weekend, DH and I travel to Springfield, MA for my cousin's 80th birthday. It's a surprise party and the whole family will be there. This is the side of the family with which we lost touch for 40+ years, so it's always exciting to get together with them. DD and her boyfriend will drive up from CT to be there, too. I have to say, as much as I love to travel, I am ready to stay home for a bit. There is the never-ending "to do" list that I haven't touched in awhile, and that ever-growing mountain of dirty laundry, LOL! I know... enjoy it while I can. Soon enough it'll be February and we'll all be house-bound, suffering from cabin fever and frigid weather, right?

Great to read, and yes it will be January, February, and early March soon enough. Dh and I booked a 1 day bus tour. It's a 3 hrs each way mostly Seniors bus trip. This is a trial for a 3 day, 2 night one the end of October. We did a 1 day when we were first retired but, that was 13ish years ago, and some things have caned... I mean changed. :rolleyes1

Teaching in a tin can in that kind of heat sounds miserable. I didn't know Maine could get that hot! : ) Glad you will have some relief from the temps soon. Hope that tin can has heat so you and the kids can get through the winter without frost bite. Your trips sound fabulous!!! Springsteen and McCartney! That's a fantastic memory to have. How did you like Miss Saigon? That's one we haven't yet seen.

Great to read, and yes it will be January, February, and early March soon enough. Dh and I booked a 1 day bus tour. It's a 3 hrs each way mostly Seniors bus trip. This is a trial for a 3 day, 2 night one the end of October. We did a 1 day when we were first retired but, that was 13ish years ago, and some things have caned... I mean changed. :rolleyes1

LOL! Love your play on words there. You have the most uplifting, cheerful spirit, and your posts brighten my day. I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread when I did! :lovestruc Enjoy your bus tour. Tell us all about it when you get back. We can vote on whether or not you should take the one in October. :daisy:

My left arm is aching like CRAZY today. I sprained my ankle Saturday out at the barn. You would think the ankle would hurt the most. No, it's the arm. I'm going to blame all the sweeping I did yesterday because I cannot think of anything else it could possibly be. So this tells me either we need a much smaller house so I don't have to sweep as much, or I really need to be more diligent about building upper body strength. OR it's time to get a Roomba. Anyone have one? Do they really work?

@leebee You're quite the road warrior these days! Sounds like a great trip to NYC. I know you've wanted to see Sir Paul for a long time, what did you think?
"Portable classroom"--is that what we used to call an "annex?"

@NFLDERS --So how's the wine Jane? I know almost nothing about wine but don't mind a red once in a while if it's not too sweet.

@Twilight Sparkle Always nice to see you here!:wave:

LOL! Love your play on words there. You have the most uplifting, cheerful spirit, and your posts brighten my day. I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread when I did! :lovestruc Enjoy your bus tour. Tell us all about it when you get back. We can vote on whether or not you should take the one in October. :daisy:

It's (the 1 day run) not until Oct. 5th but, I'll try some sort of Poll!? The only negative aspect of the one we took 13ish years ago, was the noise level on the bus. This time we are somewhat prepared; we are both taking AM/FM radio devices. Dh's is one he wears on the lawn tractor. Now, don't laugh mine is the second transistor radio I ever owned! Hey! at least it isn't the first! that one would be from 1964!!

Another negative was having to listen for our bus call to return home. I figure heck if me miss it, we take a cab to a hotel, then the next day a commuter train home hmmm... that sounds like maybe it should be an Ooops,.. we missed our bus event?!

@leebee You're quite the road warrior these days! Sounds like a great trip to NYC. I know you've wanted to see Sir Paul for a long time, what did you think?
"Portable classroom"--is that what we used to call an "annex?"

@NFLDERS --So how's the wine Jane? I know almost nothing about wine but don't mind a red once in a while if it's not too sweet.

@Twilight Sparkle Always nice to see you here!:wave:

Well, it's like this we will open it tonight 'cause it may help me sleep. We also know nothing about wine. I purchased my first bottle to start a possible regime of use for water retention issues. It has to be red which is ok as that's best for histamine over load too, and with Fall shaping up here soon... The first bottle we purchased last week without asking for advice... was not sweet even though the bottle read fruity. Meh!

Anyhow, I'll let you know how this bottle was after tonight. I'm hoping for a :cloud9:. BTW, did you see my call out to you on the sleeping thread!? :rotfl:

did you see my call out to you on the sleeping thread!

No I missed it! I didn't get an alert, what's the title of the thread? Usually if you don't get a like from me within 12 hours or so that means I didn't see it!

Good luck with the wine, my DD is quite the wine snob but I don't know if she knows about water retention and other health related topics. :)

I'm going to blame all the sweeping I did yesterday because I cannot think of anything else it could possibly be.

...Hmmm I believe this is known as "Cinderella arm." Any step mothers or sisters around your place?:jester: Sorry to hear about this TS, hope you get to feeling better asap. Ibuprofen is usually good for this kind of thing. I learned a little factoid about it recently (from my dentist): He says it takes 1.5 hours for it to work, and that's why when people take it for a headache they say it doesn't work (cos they don't want to wait 90 minutes to get relief.)

...Hmmm I believe this is known as "Cinderella arm." Any step mothers or sisters around your place?:jester: Sorry to hear about this TS, hope you get to feeling better asap. Ibuprofen is usually good for this kind of thing. I learned a little factoid about it recently (from my dentist): He says it takes 1.5 hours for it to work, and that's why when people take it for a headache they say it doesn't work (cos they don't want to wait 90 minutes to get relief.)

Cinderella Arm, huh? I like that name, so I'm going with it. No step family but way too many dust bunnies. They need to find a new home. Thanks for the tip. : ) I've been searching Amazon for robot floor cleaners. Best medicine is prevention, right?! If I get a robot, I'll name it Cinderella.

@NFLDERS , if you're looking for another red wine option, my favorite is Meiomi Pinot Noir. Not too sweet but not too dry. It reminds me of dark, perfectly in-season cherries but is not overtly cherry. Moscato should be sweet, though, so if you are looking for a sweet wine, you will probably like it. After you get used to the sweet ones, you might be able to try something a little less sweet. If/when that happens, I'd look at the Pinot Noirs, especially Meiomi. I started with sweet wines (and still enjoy many of them - especially for dessert) but over time was able to appreciate other varieties. Too bad it has to be red because there are some deliciously sweet, German, white wines.

No I missed it! I didn't get an alert, what's the title of the thread? Usually if you don't get a like from me within 12 hours or so that means I didn't see it!

Good luck with the wine, my DD is quite the wine snob but I don't know if she knows about water retention and other health related topics. :)

Well, it's like this you would probably have "Liked" this Aussie wine. It wasn't sweet enough for me... sigh. I'll have to do more research. On the up side the wine helped me sleep! :teleport:

I'm one of those individuals who experiences multiple side effects of pretty much any med I've been prescribed. So.. At this time I'm trying diet solutions.

Last edited:
My left arm is aching like CRAZY today. I sprained my ankle Saturday out at the barn. You would think the ankle would hurt the most. No, it's the arm. I'm going to blame all the sweeping I did yesterday because I cannot think of anything else it could possibly be. So this tells me either we need a much smaller house so I don't have to sweep as much, or I really need to be more diligent about building upper body strength. OR it's time to get a Roomba. Anyone have one? Do they really work?

We have a Roomba, a retriever, and a happy vacuumed house! Thanks for the wine suggestions they sound perfect. A wine we loved years ago from Germany unfortunately was white, and is not available here now. :(

Hope your arm feels better soon.

The whole continent must be engulfed. Yuck!

I will try to remember to take pics. We used to be crazy photo people when our daughter was younger. Now that she's older, we often forget to take pics. We're too busy being in the moment, I guess. That's all well and good at the time, but I know we'll regret that later! That's why I love Memory Maker for our WDW trips. When I fork over that $, I make sure we hit as many PhotoPass stops as possible. We need Smoky Mountain PhotoPass services to be an actual thing! :)
:sad2: Sadly, no. We've already had a couple of snowfalls near here and it's freezing (literal degrees of frost, not just chilly) every night. Very typical for this time of year and if you ever change your mind about learning to ski, come out and see us in the Rockies!! :wave2:

:sad2: Sadly, no. We've already had a couple of snowfalls near here and it's freezing (literal degrees of frost, not just chilly) every night. Very typical for this time of year and if you ever change your mind about learning to ski, come out and see us in the Rockies!! :wave2:

I don't even need the skis! Simply playing in the snow would be a big treat for me! I bet it's gorgeous where you live.

We have a Roomba, a retriever, and a happy vacuumed house! Thanks for the wine suggestions they sound perfect. A wine we loved years ago from Germany unfortunately was white, and is not available here now. :(

Hope your arm feels better soon.

Thanks! It does feel better. You are so welcome for the suggestions. Feeling your sadness over the loved but missing wine. Thanks for the Roomba review. : ) Now if only I could convince my husband we need one. He wasn't very happy with the price, so no Roomba for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter