anxiety and panic attacks

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for this thread! I stumbled upon it by chance and it came just at the right time for me. I'm leaving for the World with my DS 2 1/2 in just 2 days and the anxiety is really starting to kick in. I've had anxiety and panic attacks for many years now and it seems to hit for several months at a time on a daily basis and then will just stop for several months. Right now my fears are taking hold about this trip. I can't stand in lines for too long, the claustrophobia does it for me. I'm worried about the plane too. I live in Southern California so it's a long trip. I used to take Xanax and hated it for the zombie like trance it put me in and then a new fear of taking any kind of meds particulary perscription meds took hold and I haven't been on anything for about 2 years now. Someone mentioned caffeine and I think that that definetly makes my anxiety worse but it's not the only thing. I also read on these boards that I could request a GAC so that I might be able to wait in a quieter place for rides, I had no idea I could use a GAC for my issues. I'm so glad I checked here! I'm going to give the lines a try and if they are just too much I'm going to see if I can request one. I'm sort of embarassed about asking for one, no one I know including my DH understands about my anxiety and panic so it's hard for me ask because I keep thinking people (the CM's) will think I'm full of it. Anyone here ever get a GAC for their panic? How did it go? Thanks again so much for all the good info including the link to the stress website, I'm going to check it out.

I have panic disorder and had a full blown panic attack at Disneyland in October and had to ask two CMs for help and they were SO nice about. One literally rubbed my back. It was a weird situation with a crowd after a parade and I found them to be very accomodating. I would try to stand in line and see how you do. Disneyland is older, than WDW and some of the ride queues are really tight. I get very anxious while waiting where there is clearly no exit, like the caves on Indy but I tell myself I can leave the line anytime if I need to. I tried to get off Indy after we were buckled in but the CM didn't hear me and I was off on the ride. I was glad, though because I had a lot of fun on the ride and my panic disappeared once we got going. I sometimes need to push myself just past that point. Try it and see how you do, and if you feel like you need to wait in a quiet area don't hesitate to ask for that GAC. No one will make you feel silly about it. Hope this helps! Good luck.

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for this thread! I stumbled upon it by chance and it came just at the right time for me. I'm leaving for the World with my DS 2 1/2 in just 2 days and the anxiety is really starting to kick in. I've had anxiety and panic attacks for many years now and it seems to hit for several months at a time on a daily basis and then will just stop for several months. Right now my fears are taking hold about this trip. I can't stand in lines for too long, the claustrophobia does it for me. I'm worried about the plane too. I live in Southern California so it's a long trip. I used to take Xanax and hated it for the zombie like trance it put me in and then a new fear of taking any kind of meds particulary perscription meds took hold and I haven't been on anything for about 2 years now. Someone mentioned caffeine and I think that that definetly makes my anxiety worse but it's not the only thing. I also read on these boards that I could request a GAC so that I might be able to wait in a quieter place for rides, I had no idea I could use a GAC for my issues. I'm so glad I checked here! I'm going to give the lines a try and if they are just too much I'm going to see if I can request one. I'm sort of embarassed about asking for one, no one I know including my DH understands about my anxiety and panic so it's hard for me ask because I keep thinking people (the CM's) will think I'm full of it. Anyone here ever get a GAC for their panic? How did it go? Thanks again so much for all the good info including the link to the stress website, I'm going to check it out.

Hi and welcome,
I know what you mean, there are a few things you can do with planning.
I think cnsidering what is ahead and how to manage if it happens, like having a plan is a great step.

Talk to your PCP, my first plane trip I needed a small dose of Xanax, I also had a patch that goes behind the ear for motion sickness. THe later trips the PCP did not provide this?

But, now I have Lexapro daily, never thought that something could actually help but it has. The Effexor I had vivd terror dreams, very realistic. THe lexapro I had to break into quarters and work up to 10 mg over 2 weeks and then I went up to 20 mg,

I have no lightheadedness, I feel more normal. The first days on Lexapro were after a loss of my dd, I had insomnia and loss of apatite for almost 2 weeks. That was when I kiped a day and then started on smaller doses. Because, I did feel the difference. The cluttered mind, over working fretting thoughts, for flares, I had .05 of Ativan. Ativan is short term, jsut a few hours.

I had a GAC in WDW, but I also use a walker, rollator for my mobility issues. But, many areas they had me in the main que and I freaked with the closness.
I alsked for an alternate area to be and mainly was accomadated. Now at Universal in the Islands of Aventure, I lost the total time I was there. They wanted me to allow my 10 yr old to stay in the que as I waited at the ride enter/exit area NO WAY!

Then on the train that goes through the resturant I had to get myself up the incline, packed bodies, 99* heat and humidity. I was in tears and exhaustion when I got up there. After treatment for the heat over heating, I went to the med center, got a gator aid, cooled off and after three attractions with the 10 yr old was done in....

There were people there with kids in reclining while chairs with cerebal palsy, several Autistic children, and they could offer no help.
That was Oct 2006. I am not sure f they have changed a policy since.

But, my dh has finally got it. After a melt down in the journey to Mars attraction. He told me the mild ride was not bad with motion....BUT did not tell me I was enclosed in a small tight capsul with control panel that entraped me.

I cried the whole time like a baby.......He also know my anxiety can trigger my asthma, the heat triggers asthma, and standing kills the back....
But, I don;t feel I get much sympathy or assistance. He acknowledges it and sits and watches me.....Oh, he will get my inhaler...

Tonight I am anxious, not over the edge, but I don;t know where to put myself. I took an ativan, having a cup of tea, but gosh I wish I could get a hug from dh, maybe play a game of cards to get my mind off sadness.

I can;t put my finger on what triggered it, or is trying to trigger,,,,maybe just the financial strain.
But anway back to you!
Get the GAC to have it, don;t wait until you do get into a anxious situation unable to lower it...It makes a better trip for the family if you are happy, can enjoy yourself without fret...

If you do not take anything for chronic trouble, consider something like a lower dose of Lexapro, 10mg. I never thought something could help.....but I admit it, it really does.

Much better then waiting for a crisis and having xanax zonk us out.
The Ativan is good for the moment you enter the park.....
I hope you have a wonderful trip, think of yourself, accomadate yourself and the entire family and trip with be a happier one.
di

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread but I feel for you. Panic and anxiety attacks are terrible. No one can really understand what they are like unless they have had them. My eyes were opened this year to anxiety and depression. I never truely understood it until I got it. I was sick for months. Couldn't work. Celexa helped but now they also found that I was hypothyroid. I just wanted to add this incase anyone else is out there that might be misdiagnosed. I understand that Oprah now has been diagnosed with it as well. It can cause anxiety attacks and depression too. It took several times of doing my TSH and T3, T4 levels to prove (to my doctor) that there was a problem. Now that I am on thyroxine I feel great and I am trying to wean off the celexa.

I realize that this may not be the case with you but just wanted to mention it so that others could think about it as a possible cause. Sometimes I get frustrated at how pill popping this society is. I was on antidepressants for 6 months and I really needed thyroid hormone! Not that I don't use medications but I just mean as a quick fix. Example...my ds13 has headaches everyday. We tried one medication and it didn't work (a blood pressure medication). I suggested another mri with and using dye this time to look for something vascular that might be wrong (aneurysm) and they suggested another pill. "At least he is still able to function and go to school..." the nurse said to me. I told her it is not normal to have headaches everyday!!! What 13 year old should have to live like that. Sorry I got off track...

Just wanted to let others know this happened to me and it could be happening to others too.

Hope this help someone.:flower3:

DisneyMarie- I don't think my dh got it either. I think because we look the same they think we are the same person we were. We finally went to therapy to help dh realize that I wasn't the same person anymore and that I would need his help. I am usually the one in control and when I gave him the ranes he didn't know what to do. I feel for you. It must be harder because of the finacial strain. It seems like any stress would bring mine on. Even things that I used to do like shopping, driving on the highway, going to work. I can't imagine being able to function at disney with the crowds esp after a parade.

Prayers to you and your dh! Hopefully something good is coming around the corner.

Thank you all for your words of encouragment and support. I feel better just sharing here. We leave tomorrow and so far I'm just dealing with the normal jitters but I'm feeling good and prepared to go.

Neonurse: thanks for the info on hypothyroidism. I think my mother had issues with that at one time so it's good to know about it in case that could be the issue. When I get back I'm going to see my doctor and I'll ask if that could be a possibility for me. You never know.

DisneyMarie: First of all, thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry about your dd and for the hard times you are going through right now. I do hope things turn around for you and your family. I also wanted to say that I had the same experience you did on Mission Space. I was more worried about the nausea it might cause but when I got in and that panel came forward the panic was on. It was so cramped in there. I don't remember if there were any warnings about that but if there isn't there should be. I was fortunate, right before the ride started the doors suddenly opened up because someone had lost thier lunch in another car and they had to clean up and I was able to make a speedy exit without having to ride. It must have been terrible for you. My Dh rode and said he didn't know what the big deal was. He just doesn't get it. :confused3

amyamya: Thanks for your encouragement to get the GAC, I think I will go ahead and request one first thing. Just having it and knowing I can use it might be enough to calm me that I might not even have to use. Sometimes just having the means or a way out of trigger situations is enough to get me through ok without actually having to use the way out, if that makes sense.

Thanks and good health to you all. :goodvibes

Some very good info being posted here.:thumbsup2

Keep it comming,alot of people are reading this and hopefully its helping them!!

dizneedoll,hope you have a great trip!!Have fun and leave the rest of the world behind.Let the pixie dust take care of you!!pixiedust:

dizneedoll,hope you have a great trip!!Have fun and leave the rest of the world behind.Let the pixie dust take care of you!!pixiedust:

Thanks!! and thanks for starting this thread! I'll check in when I get back and let you guys know how I did.

dizneedoll, hoping your vaccation went well..

Pretty much giving this thread a bump..

All well on this end!!
How is everyone else feeling???

Hey DD.
Gosh finally March, I see light. If for but the tax man.
saturday was a bad day, Sunday I selpt in, and today was cold windy day. I don;t know why, if anxious or what but I had the occasional extra heart beat gloop gloop. Lots of stress over lay off and dh work filed chapter 11.
Thanks for the bump
di

Just popping in too say hellow..

Why dont we start talking about what works for us when a panic attack starts!!

I start the breathing exercise.One thousand 1 and two inhale exhale with same count for a minute!!

Whats yours??

I start the "belly breathing" where your chest doesn't move but your belly rises when you exhale. I put both my hands on my belly and begin inhaling through my nose and counting, 1 thousand and 1, 1 thousand and 2.. all the way to five. Then I blow out the air through my mouth with my hands " pushing my belly down gently and the air out. This usually works for me, probably because you need to think about what your doing so your brain is distracted from what is making you panic. If that doesn't do it I go with the flight or fight urge and go outside and walk around the yard until the panic passes. It doesn't take very long and I believe the light outside helps too, especially if it is sunny out. I read somewhere about using light therapy for depression and panic, so I try to get outside daily and spend at least twenty minutes out of the house. Now that we have a new puppy to walk me this is my new daily routine and it is very enjoyable! :cool1:

I tell you another way too subside anxiety that been working great for me.My wife and I walk about 2+miles a day and I feel so good afterwords..
I know alot of people cant do this cause of other health issues,but anytime outside is going to help..

Please dont let this thread die out,post what you feel on this.It will help others I promise.Alot of the posts helped me!!:thumbsup2

You are definitely not in the minority. With the right treatment it does become managable but check with your doc. And be kind to yourself, dealing with this stuff is not easy.

I'm sorry I let this thread get dust on it.Its been buried to page 2,nobody has posted,including me.
So lets get this started again.I still have problems with crowded open spaces.I take A time-out and sit and try and focus on what I got to do..
The one thing I have noticed is when I'm by myself it happens more often then when I have my DW next to me and grab her hand,then all is good.:confused3 I dont know why,but when she is with me I feel safe and secure.I know no one can hurt me but myself,but with her there life is better.She cant be there all the time,and thats my downfall.I depend way too much out of her and I'm afraid I will chase her away..
Any feedback on this I will listen,anything!!

I'm sorry I let this thread get dust on it.Its been buried to page 2,nobody has posted,including me.
So lets get this started again.I still have problems with crowded open spaces.I take A time-out and sit and try and focus on what I got to do..
The one thing I have noticed is when I'm by myself it happens more often then when I have my DW next to me and grab her hand,then all is good.:confused3 I dont know why,but when she is with me I feel safe and secure.I know no one can hurt me but myself,but with her there life is better.She cant be there all the time,and thats my downfall.I depend way too much out of her and I'm afraid I will chase her away..
Any feedback on this I will listen,anything!!

I know what you mean about crowded open spaces. I had problems for years if I went shopping, and it usually ended with me rushing back to the car without finishing my shopping or other things I needed to do.

In desperation I started to make detailed lists of where I needed to go e.g. shops, the post office, library etc and planned the order and the route I would take. I even ticked off from my list each step that I completed and only "let" myself go home when the list was completed. It took ages to get to the point where I managed to complete my list. I gradually added to the list including a coffee shop, busy supermarket and finally a busy international airport. This took me about 18 months.

My "current" anxiety is not being able to cope if I have a busy day with more than one planned activity such as doctor/dentist/hair appointment, meeting family for lunch, supermarket etc. Invariably I cancel one of the appointments or activities at the last minute, and immediately I feel so relieved, that feeling of dread in my stomach and head disappears. I have no idea how to tackle this problem and I am hoping that some of you have been through similar and have found a way to cope.

Sorry this has turned into a long post, thanks for sticking with it to the end.

Linda :sad:

Linda I know exactly what your saying.I go through it almost daily.I have yet too find that point of what and how I felt just 5yrs ago.I sit back and think of what was going on at that time and there is no diff between then and now!:confused3 If you read further back on this thread you will know my doc put me on Paxil 20mg Since I seen him last and I told him it felt like it reached its peak and I dont feel any better,he put me on 40mgs.Now I think he over done it or my body is just not used to it yet.I dont know.But I feel when the 40mgs start working and I reach the point were it does not cover my problems,what is next?

I am gonna make it A point in my life to search for what I call normal feeling again.The outgoing,go anywhere,live life to the max I used to be, instead of living in A shell!!

During this journey I will let you all know what happens,,Cuase I'm not gonna let it control me anymore,I wanna control it!!!

Hey,

I'm here and I understand...:hug:

I've lived with panic disorder for over 10 years now...

It has nothing to do with being strong or weak...

It isn't something that you've done or haven't done...

There should be no guilt or shame...

If you were diabetic-you wouldn't blame yourself for not being strong enough or believe one of those other negative statements we all make to ourselves...

Panic and anxiety run among are a result of a chain of things-one of which is a biochemical imbalance going on in your body...

YOU can learn to live with and manage it...although you will probably always be suseptible...

It is going to be ok-maybe not in the next 10 minutes but IT WILL BE OK...

(I'm going to come back later and list some stuff that helped me...and maybe one of them will help you...)

BTW-it is estimated that a large portion of people with a drinking issue are actually trying to self medicate anxiety or depression...but it never really works...

Hey,

I'm here and I understand...:hug:

I've lived with panic disorder for over 10 years now...

It has nothing to do with being strong or weak...

It isn't something that you've done or haven't done...

There should be no guilt or shame...

If you were diabetic-you wouldn't blame yourself for not being strong enough or believe one of those other negative statements we all make to ourselves...

Panic and anxiety run among are a result of a chain of things-one of which is a biochemical imbalance going on in your body...

YOU can learn to live with and manage it...although you will probably always be suseptible...

It is going to be ok-maybe not in the next 10 minutes but IT WILL BE OK...

(I'm going to come back later and list some stuff that helped me...and maybe one of them will help you...)

BTW-it is estimated that a large portion of people with a drinking issue are actually trying to self medicate anxiety or depression...but it never really works...

I will admit ,I did like drinking some beer till what it seems the world fell apart.Now that I'm on the meds I dont drink at all....

Please post some of the things you say that helped you.I am all ears!

(i was looking for a couple of books that really helped...but my stuff was shuffled around...:headache: so I will continue looking for those but in the mean time...)

Unfortunately a lot of what i'm going to say isn't magic and isn't a quick fix...(like the way a lot of people search for a quick fix with dieting and it is more of a slow and consistent march of healthy eating and excercising...)

But fortunately it does work...slowly but surely...

(You really should find a good doc-one who you are really comfortable-good chemistry, trust, etc...I went through about 5-6 till I found mine...she is the best... and you do have to "play" to find the right med-sorry:hug:)

AND STOP TRYING TO GET BACK TO NORMAL-I did that all the time and it doesn't help you-your normal is today, and your normal for tomorrow will come tomorrow....

This is boring but here goes...

1. You can't fight it away...:confused3....for a very long time I felt very weak and would try my hardest to be tough and fight it away...(that doesn't mean you can't get the upper hand but :confused3 it has nothing to do with you being tougher than the anxiety so ...try this...instead of "fighting" it...be smart and relax and observe it as impartially as you can...you need to understand when, why and where it flairs up for you and to do that you need to pay attention (like a spy):confused3...

2. For now-don't berate yourself for what you can't do-be glad for what you can do and stop punishing yourself...

3, I know this is corny but excercise-when you have a panic attack you release stress hormone-your body thinks you are under attack-ie a lion is going for you or something...you've got a little cardio in -even if you are tired and don't think you can-start slow-build up...you need to have a healthy stress outlet

4. Of course eat as well as possible, try to limit the caffeine...:surfweb: (I love my coffee-so Icheat a little on this-but when I overdo-I do pay for it.)

5. If you enjoy a drink and CAN HANDLE it...there is no reason not to have it but not as MEDICATION

6. Engage /focus/ have something you really love doing that distracts you...

I'll be back with more and I know this sounds cliche and trite but over time it does help...

The first panic attack that I had I felt I was outside my body watching and I was positive I was going to die...:confused3

I went through months were I felt like everything around me was moving-like the floor was slanting...vibrating....I thought I would go mad...

You are living with a condition-and think of it in terms of diabetes-that you will be able to control but you can not make it just go away...I'm sorry but its true...you make have periods where it gets so minimal you may totally forget it and then you'll have a period where something will set it off...so the best thing is to learn how to "manage' it...and move on and live...

(I'm going to search for the books-there were three that really helped me...)

I hope your day is a pleasant one...:goodvibes -or at least find something pleasant about it...:goodvibes

I was on meds for my anxiety and panic for over five years and they got me through some rough spots but as the years wore on the side effects increased and I was fortunate to learn about Cognitive behavioral therapy (aka CBT) and went through a group program that was 14-weeks long and within a month of my group ending weaned off all meds and feel better than ever now and it has been four years since I got off them and I have not looked back. It was a real struggle for me initially but once I got the hang of countering my thoughts in the TEA form exercise I made amazing progress. It's the best thing I have ever done for myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter