anxiety and panic attacks

SB1-Congrats on the CBT and being able to get off your meds!

CBT is the most effective therapy for anxiety.

Sometimes ...some people have a harder time getting off their meds than others...:confused3

These are a few books that helped me...

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook-Edmund Bourke

From Panic to Power-Lucinda Bassett

Anxiety, Phobias, & Panics-Reneau Z. Peurifoy

BTW-many anxiety prone people tend to breathe very shallowly or sometimes actually hold their breathe-which will make you dizzy/lightheaded...

Peaceful Night...

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is doing well. Sorry I have not been around much-something I never thought I would do, but we are having a baby! I never thought I could hadle it because of my anxiety problems, but the first 6-7 months I did GREAT! Almost no anxiety at all, now that I am halfway through my third trimester and thinking more about labor, I am starting to have panic attacks again. Extremelly hard to deal with when their is no option to use a xanax to come out of the attack, but I will survive this.

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is doing well. Sorry I have not been around much-something I never thought I would do, but we are having a baby! I never thought I could hadle it because of my anxiety problems, but the first 6-7 months I did GREAT! Almost no anxiety at all, now that I am halfway through my third trimester and thinking more about labor, I am starting to have panic attacks again. Extremelly hard to deal with when their is no option to use a xanax to come out of the attack, but I will survive this.

Godbless and have the strenght to have your baby without worry.When my DW was in labor we found A bond that will stay with you and youres.
Theier is nothing more powerful in this world then bringing A new life into this world.
I only wish I can go back 16yrs to feel that again!!

Godspeed and I we pray that you enjoy bringing A new life into this world.
If anything this is A blessing and look at it as..

Better yet my DW will talk to you about this soon.She has battled anxiety and beat it.Her name is daisyduck-look for her post.

Looking at the big picture, labor is a small part and by the next day all but forgotten. There are so many alternatives for labor anymore. Talk to your doctor, there are things that you can use and do that help you focus your mission of having a baby away from thinking about it to actually enjoying each phase.

I found even in natural child birth of the kids, they only discomfort I had was just at the peak before tansition into pushing. The pains were frequent and stronger. But now there is epidurals and that would be the way to go for me.
I remember my Mom said to me about the after birth pains and it bothered me so bad, I had to aske the doctor.
The pains mom meant were the few days after of cramping. She actually complained about cramps.

Labor, for all but the hour my kids were born I could play cards, and converse. It really was transition that things turned fast. Bit i went from 4 centimeteres to 9 in two contractions. Looking back on them, I don't even remember what it was about them that was different or strong. But it never stopped me from having three more babes.

Share with the OB so you are on the same page and she can help you focus and where your thoughts and relaxing needs to be. She may even know a support person that can help. Also ask if you do feel so over whelmed during delivary what are med options.
Perhaps an ativan or something holistic that helps..do it now before in labor and forget.

LOL, as a new time mom, I had my most anxiety when the baby was teething, or cranky thinking I was doing something wrong, buy no. 2 I laughed about how I called the nursery over the baby crying and how much holding is too much that I would spoil him. I ended up switching formulas to a soy and the crying jags were reduced.

You have it in you to do all you need, never doubt yourself because as in all animals, the ability to love, care and provide is natural. The birthing, you don't know what to expect, but it is really natural to say all that you are.

I felt having my anxiety panic was going to keep me from seeing what my heart already could show me. Learn how to do tummy breathing now before birth. Put you hand on your tummy and take breaths in to feel it raise not the chest..if it is possible?????

Forten minutes sit and do that. Keep busy so thoughts do not overwhelm.
I read what to expect when your expecting for the last baby no. 4 and still learned so much. It was my bible.
For aniety, even tonight, I keep busy, a nice warm bath or warm wash cloth with lavendar soap, domy face arms and chest, pin up my hair, Rub on lotion, sit by a window, hold a baby blanket.

I have an angel bear...a teddy angel bear I hug and love. that is some of the best medicine for me. Enjoy these last days that are so few in life that we feel that life in side us. They are the best memories in the world.
:grouphug:

Hey disneymarie--thank you so much for all the wonderful tips and comforting ideas. I guess part of my fear is that I was at the hospital with my sister during her first labor and she was in hard labor for more than 24 hours and still ended up needing a c-section. Not that I am really scared of needing surgery, just of being in pain that long before they deicde to do it.

Your welcome,
Pain is very subjective that everyone is affected differently, and no ones labor is the same. I have a big tolerence to pain, my stapping near 6 ft son, has just simple procedures and he has side effects to anesthesia to throw up, he does not tolerate paim medication at all.

You could very well, have a back ache go to the doctor and find out you are in active labor and just make it to the hosital to pop the lil one out. Even every delivary is different.

By my baby 4, I thought she would pop out, but yet when labor started I went OH no, only because I knew that I had natural births, there was no epidurals offered, and progressed all at one time.

You are in control, you are in the drivers seat. Take the prenatal classes so you know the terminalogy and how far along you are by dialating and thinning to know when you can have an epidural and take it.

Understanding my anxiety now, I wonder why I thought I had to be a hero and have natural? I did have a c-section with no. 4, she was stuck with a 41 year old uterus trying to push her out. She was not even in the birth canal when the harder I needed to grunt and push labor started,

I would if you were my sis with anxiety ask the doctor because you want to remain in control, what are the stages you must meet to have the epidural, and then how long will they make you stay in active labor before deciding a c-section.....

NOW also, if you have long term anxiety panic for years and flare ups, that you actually had medicated for, maybe planning a c-section right out is the way to go. If your build is similar to your sis and you are fearing to get in that rut, or did sis want to ride it out as long as she could.

At 7pm I was ready to push and felt baby was ready. By 10 I finally gave in and said, OK, I am finished, I am going home, they talked c-section realizing, the body was not going to push this one out.
But it was only the 1/2 hour before the c-sec I was uncomfortable exhauste
I DID NOT HAVE AN EPIDURAL I should have.
I have no idea why I did not except since having the first baby in 1974 when everything was a la natural the thing to do. I should have been told about an option of epidural. I would have tried it if I needed it to stay focused and if anxiety was keeping me from focusing.

I left what tradition was get in the way of what a 41 year old woman should have said. I want to be as comfortable as to remain in control of my delivary and progress well. I want to know ahead of time what are my options of an epidural and when it would be given to me.

Then if the epi did not help before you feel lost, request to discuss the c-section.
In fact at 7 pm I must have had an idea she was stuck, as I asked for a heperin loc put in so if I needed a c-section they would not dig when I was grunting.
I was watching the games shows and kneeling on the couch sounding like a something out of Harry Potter and they made me get in bed.
THEN THE GALL they turned my game show off and dh and dd put on what they wanted.:rotfl:

The whole thing is about you are in control you are not along for the ride at the discretion of others, know you limits and go with it, speak up...or have your partner know ahead of time your wishes and signs you will say or give.

It is really something you think about at this stage, but we make our self fear what we do not know, practice squats, breathings, focus, oil to rub the tummy, softest socks to wear, a baby blanket to hold and smell.
Think of the wonderful moment is so close to hold and smell that little one.
You will be amazing with info and a plan....

Even knowing there is no way you want to go 24 hours like sis and then a c-sec....discuss it now. write it down, tell the doctor.
You can't focus when stressing over something unknown.
And really discuss if you may want to just plan the c-section....
It is surgery, but, for someone with medical contributing factors, it is a consideration.
YOUR NO. 1
Keep me posted, gosh it goes so fast. My first was due Sept, 23 and came the 30th, I was only 19...35 years ago already. The last thing I remember, is how my contractions were, just they were not happy the few moments before he was born, but I was feeling fine enough to sit on the toilet and the nurse heard me grunt and got me in bed.

My dd was born on Mother day,

SB1-Congrats on the CBT and being able to get off your meds!

CBT is the most effective therapy for anxiety.

Sometimes ...some people have a harder time getting off their meds than others...:confused3

These are a few books that helped me...

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook-Edmund Bourke

From Panic to Power-Lucinda Bassett

Anxiety, Phobias, & Panics-Reneau Z. Peurifoy

BTW-many anxiety prone people tend to breathe very shallowly or sometimes actually hold their breathe-which will make you dizzy/lightheaded...

Peaceful Night...

Thanks for encouragingb words and for replying and sharing all those books:thumbsup2

The book we used in my group was really good and really short and simple too. I recommend it to people with anxiety problems all the time. It's called
Been There, Done That? DO THIS! By Sam Obitz and Michelle Craske.
I also liked the tone as it was written by former anxiety sufferers. I re-read the middle of the book, which is the meat of the book, when ever I fly on a plane to this day.

Take care and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!:littleangel:

Hello everyone. So sorry to see this thread not being used to actively these days. I hope everyone is doing very very well. Well I had my gorgeous baby! I had a little boy named Walter on 9-4-09, exactly 4 weeks before my due date and I did great during labor!!! I did not get a c-section, which is what I preferred, but looking back everything progressed so well, I guess I really didn't need one. In fact I went to the dr that day for a check up and whoops, was in active labor! I had no clue. I just thought I had a tiny upset tummy that day! :lmao: I had one day since the birth where my panic was so bad I was sure I was dying, but other than that I have been doing great. I haven't even been on any meds since then. I actually ended up delivering during the time they where weaning me of the anxiety meds. I have not decided if I will go back on them yet. I feel like if I need them to be me I will take them, if not that's great to. I hope someone reads this and that we can get this thread going again.

Hello everyone. So sorry to see this thread not being used to actively these days. I hope everyone is doing very very well. Well I had my gorgeous baby! I had a little boy named Walter on 9-4-09, exactly 4 weeks before my due date and I did great during labor!!! I did not get a c-section, which is what I preferred, but looking back everything progressed so well, I guess I really didn't need one. In fact I went to the dr that day for a check up and whoops, was in active labor! I had no clue. I just thought I had a tiny upset tummy that day! :lmao: I had one day since the birth where my panic was so bad I was sure I was dying, but other than that I have been doing great. I haven't even been on any meds since then. I actually ended up delivering during the time they where weaning me of the anxiety meds. I have not decided if I will go back on them yet. I feel like if I need them to be me I will take them, if not that's great to. I hope someone reads this and that we can get this thread going again.

I'm so happy for you and youres.Walter is A beautiful name.I hope ya'll are doing good and the baby is healthy.I'm also happy you did'nt need the meds to get through it!:thumbsup2

Lets not let this thread pass,alot of peeps have this disorder that just lurk and read.We need to educate the masses on how to over come this and you done it,BRAVO!!:hug:

Hi "Donald" so good to hear from you. I think of you often, and hope you are well.

Walter is very healthy, he just turned 4 months old and is 17.5 pounds and 26 inches long!

I too hope this thread does not die out as it has comforted me on several occasions and hope it can do the same for others.

Anyone else still out there? Let us know how you are.

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby boy:thumbsup2 I bet you are enjoying every minute...but probably just now starting to catch up on some of your sleep.:lovestruc

Just dropping in to tell everyone how I've been doing.I've been feeling great.The meds are working.I feel like a new person.To top that I'm gonna be a grand daddy in less then 5 months!!:woohoo: I'm so excited!!

Donald -- Just good to see you have posted! I am glad to hear you are doing well on your meds and that is wonderful news about becoming a grandfather. What an exciting time. Keep up the great work.

Have you thought about seeing a qualified counsellor for "talking therapy" ?

I have suffered from depression and some anxiety for several years and found that talking about it with a professional helps a lot. It has not "cured" me but has given me ways to manage it.

Good luck, its a nasty illness that reduces your "world" greatly.

Linda

PS I have a very good book called "Feel the fear and do it anyway" by Susan Jeffers. It is not specifically aimed at anxiety and panic but it does help the reader develop confidence to work through negative feelings and build a more active life. If you cannot face going to the book shop and searching for it, try E Bay - I bought mine there and there were many copies going cheap.

I 2nd the suggestion regarding a counselor/therapist. I suffer from severe anxiety and depression as I have been diagnosed w/ bipolar II. I have been off meds for about 2 years bc I was out of work and without insurance for a while. I am about to see a new doctor and therapist. But I have to say I have been through ALOT of therapy and it really has helped me manage my anxiety and depression better. I cannot say I have been anywhere near perfect having been off my meds for this long. However, me off my meds 6 to 8 years ago would be much more out of control than me off my meds now. The therapy has really helped me gain some more control other my anxiety and depression. Of course therapy works alot better with the meds

One thing I picked up in therapy that I will never give up now is meditation music/ guided meditation. I find that it can really help my anxiety. It really helps my mind take a break from all that I am worry about and helps reduce my anxiety.

I really recommend Kelly Howell's meditation. She has a really relaxing voice and does a great guided meditation. She also has some music/brain wave meditation that is great too, especially for falling asleep. They are available on itunes and work great listening to them on your ipod. My husband does not suffer from anxiety or anything but he even started listening to the meditation stuff I have and he now listens in bed at night to help him fall asleep sometimes (so its not just a girl thing :) ).

Another great form of meditation is yoga.I' m starting with a group Tuesday and it is free.I found it in the local classifieds.

We went to Busch Gardens Tampa yesterday and while everyone was on rides I was looking at the animals and taking pictures.Well out of knowhere I started feeling really dizzy.I knew exactly what it was-Panik Attack.It seems to happen when I'm alone and in big crowds.I found a bench and sat down and started my breathing technique.It took awhile to shake it off but I did and had a great day other wise.I'm so looking forward to this yoga.It may teach me more teckniques to help with the sudden attacks.I will let you know how it works.

Just popping in to say hello to everyone. Been having a bit of trouble with anxiety lately. Alot going on in our lives right now. Am back on the meds, I think they are helping some. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Well talking to my beautiful DW today,I relized it as my mom's birthday.She passed away in November!

It hit me hard.I always got her a present,she loved dolls,and cooked her a steak.

Now I'm beside myself.Seems like no one cares how I feel about it.

My dad is not doing good at all
.We had a will drawn up yesterday and this is ripping me apart by the seams.

I think I'm gonna need help more then the meds can give me!!

This is a tough road for me to handle.I"ll put this in the Lords Hands too help me....:sad1:

Hi Donald, I am very sorry to hear about the hard time you are having. A parents death or illness is an extremely hard thing to go through. My father passed earlier this year after a very bad illness so I understand what you are feeling. If you feel the need, go and talk to your doctor about a quick working medicine like xanax that you can take if the situation becomes bad quickly. It will calm you down. Let us know if you need anything. We are here for you. :hug:

Hi there everyone. Great to see a thread like this. I just had a baby 2 months ago and am suffering from Postpartum depression and postpartum anxiety, as well as some panic and ocd. Sounds fun, huh? lol I'm happy to see other people coping like me. I see a therapist weekly, but am not on any meds, by my own choice. I had an extremely bad experience when I first took them. My doctor prescribed me xanax, which only made things worse for me, and then effexor which I was only on for a few days, but I had a severe reaction to. At this point I'm more scared to take meds than not. I just filled a prescription for prozac, but I'm not sure if I should take it or not. For me, meditation has helped, as well as yoga. I take l-theanine supplements, which I swear by, as well as a multivitamin. For the most part, these things work well, but I still have my moments, which is why I'm considering the prozac. I have a big problem at the moment with obsessive thinking, which can feel like its ruining my life, and the dr assures me it works wonders for people with that issue. Well, anyway, glad to see this thread is here, and I'll definitely keep my eyes open for new posts!

Hi Donald, I am very sorry to hear about the hard time you are having. A parents death or illness is an extremely hard thing to go through. My father passed earlier this year after a very bad illness so I understand what you are feeling. If you feel the need, go and talk to your doctor about a quick working medicine like xanax that you can take if the situation becomes bad quickly. It will calm you down. Let us know if you need anything. We are here for you. :hug:

I'm sorry about that long rant that night.It just felt like everything came crashing down on me at one time.

Thank you for listening.You been on this thread awhile and know how this feels.Thank You again!!:hug:

Hi there everyone. Great to see a thread like this. I just had a baby 2 months ago and am suffering from Postpartum depression and postpartum anxiety, as well as some panic and ocd. Sounds fun, huh? lol I'm happy to see other people coping like me. I see a therapist weekly, but am not on any meds, by my own choice. I had an extremely bad experience when I first took them. My doctor prescribed me xanax, which only made things worse for me, and then effexor which I was only on for a few days, but I had a severe reaction to. At this point I'm more scared to take meds than not. I just filled a prescription for prozac, but I'm not sure if I should take it or not. For me, meditation has helped, as well as yoga. I take l-theanine supplements, which I swear by, as well as a multivitamin. For the most part, these things work well, but I still have my moments, which is why I'm considering the prozac. I have a big problem at the moment with obsessive thinking, which can feel like its ruining my life, and the dr assures me it works wonders for people with that issue. Well, anyway, glad to see this thread is here, and I'll definitely keep my eyes open for new posts!

Sorry that youre feelling like this.Let me tell you,you are not alone.They are GREAT people on this thread.The worst part of having anxiety and deppresion is you will feel like no knowes or understans you.But here we do and we care.

Now they tried to give me Prozac and it worked great(well after walking around like Ozzy for a week),but the side effect I got from it was the VERY vivid dreams it gave me.I don't ever want them again PERIOD...
Now it may work for you,but it does take meds like these weeks to work properly with your body.I would say take them.It could make the diff between living life or hiding from it..

Let us know how you are doing,we care.:hug:
dd352

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter