Anxiety/OCD in the World?

AuntGoofy

Earning My Ears
Hi, all.
I've always had a problem with OCD and anxiety--one of the main reasons I haven't been to WDW in such a long time. Anyone have any tips for how to stay calm in such a stimulating, crowded place? Thanks.

Going off season helps me and DH. We both have anxiety issues. I have crowd issues. There is no way I would be able to take the parks in high season. We are going for 1 day in August and I'm sure I'll have a few issues. If you can't go during low seasons are you able to get some anti anxiety meds from your dr? These are also a help for me.

Don't forget the Purell. Go with friends/family who can keep others far enough away from you as well as help you if/when you need it. Take breaks to a quiet place if you need it. Of course, there's always shopping therapy in the stores selling Disney-themed items.... (Okay, that last one is a joke, but still....)

It is entirely possible. Remember you are going there to have fun. After you go on a few rides, your anxieties may lighten a bit (for the time being, I mean). Even if they don't, try to have a good time!

Oh - and there are a few books out there, like "PassPorter's Open Mouse", that describe some of the things in the rides (feelings like things are touching you, loud noises, etc.) so you can check out that info. to see if you should steer clear of any particular ride. The CMs at the ride entrances can also be helpful.

Thanks. I've been there many times and the rides don't bother me--it's the people, the constant stimulation, the memories that trigger different compulsions--this return trip is to conquer all that.

And yes, I'll be loading up on Purell and Klonopin!

Greetings from She Who Had A Panic Attack In The DL Hub! :)

My biggest recommendation is to keep aware of your limits. Where I went wrong was overdoing it and thinking that the "just one more thing" my group kept adding was going to be okay. If possible, have another member of your party who can help you out by suggesting breaks periodically. If that person says, "let's find a quiet corner and a cool drink" listen to them.

Klonopin is awesome. I am missing mine since we are TTC, but am doing okay so far [crossed fingers]. If you are prone to overstimulation and you know you are going into a stressful situation, take one an hour before entering the parks. Preventive maintenance is your friend!

Another thing to think about is what you can change and what you can't.
You can't change how stimulating all the sounds and sights or your memories are, but you can do things to go where it's not as filled with people.
One way to avoid crowds would be to go during non-busy times. Another way would be to use a service like TourGuide Mike (there is information about him on the Theme Parks Board); he is a former VIP tour guide and knows when different parks/attractions are least and most busy. Knowing that will help you to be where the least people are.
Here are some other things I thought of that might help:
  • alternate attractions that you know are overwhelming to you with ones that are less of a problem.
  • For most people, MK is the most overstimulating park - noisy, crowded with lots of people. AK is also bad, mostly because of the narrow walkways that feel crowded. Try not to do 2 very stimulating parks in a row.
  • diferent areas of each park have different stimulation levels - for example, most people find Fantasyland at MK more busy than Frontierland. So, when one place gets too busy for you, retreat into a area or an attraction you find more calming.
  • you can always visit the closest resort for while to get yourself calm and ready to go on.

Hi, all.
I've always had a problem with OCD and anxiety--one of the main reasons I haven't been to WDW in such a long time. Anyone have any tips for how to stay calm in such a stimulating, crowded place? Thanks.

Just remember anxiety is distressing but not dangerous.....I suffered from Agoraphobia & Anxiety for years and would be happy to answer any questions...just PM me.

Thanks. I've been there many times and the rides don't bother me--it's the people, the constant stimulation, the memories that trigger different compulsions--this return trip is to conquer all that.

And yes, I'll be loading up on Purell and Klonopin!

(If you're flying, remember you can only take 3 oz. or less bottles of Purell that fit in a quart-size Ziploc in your carry-on bag. The 2.2 oz. bottles are handy for this. You should be able to find them at Bed, Bath, & Beyond in the travel items section, if not at your local drug store.)

Let the ppl you go with know your triggers, if you know them, and be able to watch out for your compulsions so they can alert you to them and help you with them. My OCD isn't triggered by memories, it is just a daily life thing, so I don't have much other advice.

I don't know what kind of anxiety you have, but I have Social Anxiety so know how it feels with crowds. I also have Sensory Processing Disorder (amoung other things), so know how the stimulation problem is, too. Remind yourself that it is okay if you need to leave a line or attraction (if possible) to get away if you really need it. Your health comes first! But, if you are able to deal with it well enough to stay, you might be able to have a good time despite the problems.

You might want to bring things with you that will distract you from your settings - a stress ball (one of those rubber/foam things you squeeze), a small furry stuffed animal (i.e. a pocket-sized one) [or you could walk around with a Pal Mickey and not stick out of the crowd], noise-cancelling headphones or earplugs, sunglasses, a pocket-sized book of word puzzles (you can find these at the grocery check-out counter), etc.

Keep reminding yourself you're in the "Happiest Place on Earth!" ;) And don't get mad if you can't face all your problems or fears. It is about baby steps (just don't bring a goldfish in a jar around your neck with you, LOL!!!).

Just remember anxiety is distressing but not dangerous

Anxiety CAN be dangerous. We don't know the level of anxiety the OP has, so we can't make such statements about her health or diagnosis. Many people have anxiety that is only a little distressing, but some folks have severe, disabling anxiety. I'm sure you weren't trying to belittle people, but that's what your statement does to ppl with severe anxiety, which comes in many forms (OCD, General Anxiety, Specific Phobias, Social Anxiety, etc.). Anxiety is real and can be a real health threat and can be dangerous to the life of the person who has it.

Anxiety CAN be dangerous. We don't know the level of anxiety the OP has, so we can't make such statements about her health or diagnosis. Many people have anxiety that is only a little distressing, but some folks have severe, disabling anxiety. I'm sure you weren't trying to belittle people, but that's what your statement does to ppl with severe anxiety, which comes in many forms (OCD, General Anxiety, Specific Phobias, Social Anxiety, etc.). Anxiety is real and can be a real health threat and can be dangerous to the life of the person who has it.

Anxiety attacks no matter how severe & even when you feel like you could die they are not dangerous. They are dangerous to your lifestyle and usually come with catastrophic thinking but you will not "die" from them (perhaps pass out).

I was virtually a shut - in with Anxiety Disorder & Agoraphobia so unfortunately I know the diseases intimately.

I agree....I have OCD and PTSS...my panic attacks had a very serious impact on my blood pressure & heart rates...not a problem for me but this can be dangerous in someone with certain medical conditions...again, since we don't know the OP's specific medical history I would avoid making blanket statements that apply to you but might not apply to everyone.

OP...I have done WDW several times with my OCD (and my Lexapro)...it's odd, but I often find that I'm having so much fun that my issues are less pronounced than when I am at home. Purell saves me...I don't know if public restrooms are a trigger for you (they are a huge trigger for me) but I bring Dora the Explorer potty toppers for my DD and use them myself as well. They are WAY better than the seat covers in the bathrooms at WDW. You can find them at Babies R Us or maybe online. This sounds silly, but I always take my time & find just the right stall for me...it has to be REALLY clean & I'll keep going door to door until I find one...I have no problem explaining to people why when they ask (& they have before)...

We always go back to our hotel room for the afternoon & I take a nap. This sort of "reboots" my brain & I am then able to keep going into the evening hours. If I get too tired my brain doesn't work as well.

If you want to talk, just PM me...I'd be happy to chat via email if you'd like, especially as your trip gets closer. I will be there 7/31-8/4 & I'm even going to be there the first night with just DD (DH will join the next day). If I can do this, so can you! :thumbsup2 :cool1: :yay: :woohoo: :banana: :cheer2: :grouphug:

Anyway being that my disease was so severe there were years I could not go to WDW or anyplace for matter (including church, grocery stores, someone's house, drive by myself, shop, etc.). I was lucky enough to be put on the correct medication for me and was in therapy with a leader in "reconditioning" when living with panic disorder/agoraphobia/ptss.
It was many years of extremely hard work but worth all efforts and have been blessed that I have been able to help others recover.

Anxiety attacks no matter how severe & even when you feel like you could die they are not dangerous. They are dangerous to your lifestyle and usually come with catastrophic thinking but you will not "die" from them (perhaps pass out).

I was virtually a shut - in with Anxiety Disorder & Agoraphobia so unfortunately I know the diseases intimately.

Just because your symptoms were not dangerous to you and people around you doesn't mean everybody's are like that.

"Dangerous" does not have to mean "100% chance of death", either. You gave passing out as an example - that can be very dangerous (and can even lead to death). "Dangerous" does not even have to mean death - health is about a whole lot more than just life vs. death. "Dangerous" also doesn't include just the person with the health issue, but others around them.

Remember that just because you may have the same diagnosis as somebody else doesn't mean your experiences with said diagnosis are the same as theirs. That goes for all types of things - allergies, asthma, migraines, cancer, and even the common cold.

Also remember that everybody here comes from different places and backgrounds and cultures/subcultures. And a person might come on here and not list all of their health issues when they only want help with one or two of them. We don't know where the OP is coming from, how severe her problems are or have been (sounds like she is in treatment from what she said in her first post), or if she has any other health concerns.

It is just not helpful to somebody - and many times is hurtful to them - to tell them that they should try to remember that their health problem, no matter what it is, "isn't dangerous". The OP's health is obviously a big deal in her life or she wouldn't need help on here by asking for advice. Hopefully the OP wasn't hurt by your comment, but do know that at least one other person was.

Anyway being that my disease was so severe there were years I could not go to WDW or anyplace for matter (including church, grocery stores, someone's house, drive by myself, shop, etc.). I was lucky enough to be put on the correct medication for me and was in therapy with a leader in "reconditioning" when living with panic disorder/agoraphobia/ptss.
It was many years of extremely hard work but worth all efforts and have been blessed that I have been able to help others recover.

I see that for some people the effects of anxiety disorders *can* be dangerous. Ever seen someone in a panic run out of a crowd... and into the middle of a parking lot full of moving cars? Not pretty. My attacks aren't that bad but we very nearly lost my buddy to the wheels of an SUV when she got overwhelmed.

Please don't take it personally that someone pointed out that your experience is not the only experience. For some people this can be dangerous. I am very glad you're not one of them. I'm not either, so lucky us! :banana:

Just because your symptoms were not dangerous to you and people around you doesn't mean everybody's are like that.

It is just not helpful to somebody - and many times is hurtful to them - to tell them that they should try to remember that their health problem, no matter what it is, "isn't dangerous". The OP's health is obviously a big deal in her life or she wouldn't need help on here by asking for advice. Hopefully the OP wasn't hurt by your comment, but do know that at least one other person was.

I hope it is helpful for somebody........I'm a bit confused why you know (or think you know) what does & doesn't help all people:confused3

I can speak from my life/experience and looking back I wish I had had a place to come & was able to read words like I previously posted.

I hope it is helpful for somebody........I'm a bit confused why you know (or think you know) what does & doesn't help all people:confused3
It is unfortunate but you should realize that one diagnoses, for either a physical or mental situation, covers a wide variety of symptoms and needs.

About six years ago I had an attack of Shingles that did temporary (about 6 months) damage to the nerve that controls keeping my eyes synchronized. This is something that does not happen to most people who get Shingles, but for an even smaller number it is permanent.

Likewise we often discuss Autism/Aspergers here. This is a spectrum where there is a wide range of symptoms or triggers and an even wider range of the needs of people to live with it.

I have made some edits in some of the posts in this thread that were attacking or defending others opinions.

If you disagree with a person's stated facts, please state what you think are the correct facts and why you so think (preferably by quoting a source). If you disagree with a person's posted opinions, you can state why you think that opinion is wrong, and hopefully can back up your reasoning. Remember, you can discuss the message but don't shoot the messenger.

Please NO more fighting or I will close this thread.
The OP came here for assistance and hints to make her trip possible, not for fighting about anxiety disorders and who understands them better.

There is truth in what each person wrote, looked at from their viewpoint.

I have my own viewpoint because I have suffered from panic attacks myself. I understand the overwhelming 'I need to get out of here right now or something really bad is going to happen' feeling. (I have never had agorophobia, but I can understand the overwhelming feeling of needing to stay home or something bad will happen).
Physically, panic attacks feel to me like I was going to pass out or throw up or have my heart speed up to dangerous speeds (which is a possibility for me since my body is over-sensitive to adrenaline and my heart may speed up to 150-60 beats per minute very easily). I feel very hot and like I can't breathe because there is no air in the room. So, that's where I am coming from.

I have been on Spaceship Earth and Haunted Mansion during the part where the car is going downhill backwards and it was all I could do to keep myself in the car because thinking about the car going downhill was seriously freaking me out (not much fun on the ride when your mantra is "stay in the car. don't get out. stay seated. don't get out").
Through a lot of work and many experiences of going on those rides and nothing happening, I am now able to ride without that urge and without the voice in my head telling me I need to get out. I still think about it every time I go on, but it's not my totally overwhelming thought and I can fill my mind instead with all the times I went and nothing happened. I think that encouraging type of thought of overcoming the panic was what some posters were trying to convey.

On the other hand, there can be consequences, possibly dangerous ones of people getting into a situation where their panic is in control. There was a death on Splash Mountain when a man got out of his ride boat just before it was to go over the long fall. He was trying to get out and was hit by another boat. The first reports were that no one knew why he was trying to get out.
Some people were very unkind in talking about him (I've seen articles/posts where he was called all sorts of names that meant 'stupid').
Interviews with his companions on the ride gave a picture of someone who was terrified and only wanted to get off before the big drop. I don't know whether he had any diagnosis of anxiety disorder or panic attacks, but it's clear that his panic led him to do something dangerous he would not have done if panic was not in control. I think that is the kind of thought that other posters are trying to convey.

So, please, no more fighting. I think this could be a very helpful thread since there are clearly people posting here who have personal experience with the subject. But, if it gets bogged down in argument, that won't help anyone and I will close the thread.

Wow, I didn't check this thread after the first few days. I'm sorry things got out of hand.

To let you know where the OP is coming from:
Yes, I understand that I'm not going to die from an anxiety attack.
However, I would call a complete meltdown in the middle of Frontierland "dangerous" in that A) I could potentially end up in the emergency room, B) It is a waste of money for me to be on a trip I cannot enjoy, and C) Well, it's just not fun to be pacing back and forth naming all 9 Pixar movies (in order of release) over and over in my head without thinking the word "cancer." (Yeah, weird, eh?)

I really appreciate everyone's advice. My mother and I (who are traveling together for her 60th birthday--that in itself is enough to stress me out!) are planning a GH tea in the afternoon on Saturday and don't have many priorities that day anyway (See Flower and Garden stuff, go on Soarin' as many times as possible, tea, dinner at France, Illuminations). Sunday will be more hectic (early morning CB at MK, MK itself, flight home), but if I get REALLY stressed we will duck into the Hall of Presidents or onto the TTA for a nap. I have NO idea what to expect as far as crowds for next weekend, but I am a survivor of many holiday trips, so I guess i'll just deal.

I'm thinking of bringing my iPod to the parks, so if there's too much "setting me off," I can retreat into my music while waiting in line. I'll probably also request that we go our separate ways for an hour or so if I can't stand my mother.

I am allowed to take extra Klonopin if i need it--although I'd like to NOT be a space cadet on this trip.

I'm thinking of bringing my iPod to the parks, so if there's too much "setting me off," I can retreat into my music while waiting in line. I'll probably also request that we go our separate ways for an hour or so if I can't stand my mother.
That is a great idea.

As far as the separating, it's much easier if you both have cell phones so that you are able to call each other if needed (being later than expected, not finding the other person in the place you expected).

I'd also suggest making your meeting place very specific. Before we had cell phones, I have waited many times for my DH 'in front' of Spaceship Earth, only to find that his 'in front' was on the other side compared to my 'in front.' We now get very specific and agree which side is 'front' before we split up.
Also, keep in mind that unexpected things can mean a meeting time is missed. It's very easy to take extra time on an attraction (maybe it stops for a few minutes) or in a shop, checking out can take longer than expected too.

So, hope you have a great time and can give us a good report when you get back.

Here's a general idea that might help someone reading this some day...it's very simple but was a lifesaver for me....I ended up with debilitating PTSD for a few years, and was also a heavy smoker. So I bought a stop smoking tape that had guided relaxation with ocean sounds in the background. Didn't do diddly for my smoking but I did notice that it helped me relax. I'd put myself in the most relaxing situation at home where I felt comfortable, and bought a tape without the stop smoking message (ocean for me but I also like thunderstorm) and concentrate on my breathing.

It took a few months but I learned to relax to the sound, and from then on I could listen to the cd with the crashing waves and it would calm me...I actually did sit down on a bench once in WDW and listend to the waves when I was very short of breath and it helped so much. Any calming audio recording with sound cancelling headphones will be great but couple it with relaxation exercises that you've practiced in a comortable environment and you can have a really great tool. What's very nice then is that this builds on itself because you start to build confidence that you can have more control over your situation. I preferred the natural sounds because they a) are naturally relaxing and b) have a fairly short loop which encourages a more meditative state. All I did was breathe...the traditional in through the nose to count of ten, out through the mouth count of ten, and after a few minutes feel yourself relax just a little more with every exhale.

To tell you the truth, this actually cured me. It took about 3 years and though that seems I guess an awful long time, there was constant (albeit snail's pace) improvement. Don't flame me, I'm not suggesting that it can cure anyone else but it can help. Meditation, therapy, meds, breathing exercises - everything that relaxes you affect your brain in very similar ways by manipulation of the few neurotransmitters that control our emotions. So it can be another tool in your arsenal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter