• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anxiety/OCD in the World?

Here's a general idea that might help someone reading this some day...it's very simple but was a lifesaver for me....I ended up with debilitating PTSD for a few years, and was also a heavy smoker. So I bought a stop smoking tape that had guided relaxation with ocean sounds in the background. Didn't do diddly for my smoking but I did notice that it helped me relax. I'd put myself in the most relaxing situation at home where I felt comfortable, and bought a tape without the stop smoking message (ocean for me but I also like thunderstorm) and concentrate on my breathing.

It took a few months but I learned to relax to the sound, and from then on I could listen to the cd with the crashing waves and it would calm me...I actually did sit down on a bench once in WDW and listend to the waves when I was very short of breath and it helped so much. Any calming audio recording with sound cancelling headphones will be great but couple it with relaxation exercises that you've practiced in a comortable environment and you can have a really great tool. What's very nice then is that this builds on itself because you start to build confidence that you can have more control over your situation. I preferred the natural sounds because they a) are naturally relaxing and b) have a fairly short loop which encourages a more meditative state. All I did was breathe...the traditional in through the nose to count of ten, out through the mouth count of ten, and after a few minutes feel yourself relax just a little more with every exhale.

To tell you the truth, this actually cured me. It took about 3 years and though that seems I guess an awful long time, there was constant (albeit snail's pace) improvement. Don't flame me, I'm not suggesting that it can cure anyone else but it can help. Meditation, therapy, meds, breathing exercises - everything that relaxes you affect your brain in very similar ways by manipulation of the few neurotransmitters that control our emotions. So it can be another tool in your arsenal.

Beautifully said, I used behavior modification for many years and it was something that took so much patience & training but the pay off was well worth it. I have been able to help people using behavior modification and they have also done well.

@PammyJJane: breath work is a huge part of calming down when the anxiety trigger is pulled. I have been amazed how much just focusing on and taking deep breaths can help me at anxious times.

I just made it thru my father's funeral without medication by breathing. I wanted to run from that pew with everything in me, but I forced myself to breathe and it worked. I plan to use this on an upcoming trip to DLR , a place I have been avoiding lately due to my anxiety. When I hop on Pirates, or do HM I will remind myself the ride will end shortly, I can't get off so I need to be in the moment and breathe. Wish me luck!

I'm so sorry to hear about your father, Amy.

Yes, it's amazing how well breathing exercises work. I think some people don't find as much success with it, because they don't practice when they're relatively calm. It really does take practice and repetition.

I do wish you luck; I think the way you handled yourself at your father's funeral is a very good indicator that you're gaining control over your situation.

Please let us know how it goes!

- Pam

I have OCD, one of the ways it manifests itself is in 'intrusive thoughts'. I have scenarios where I see family and friends being killed, for example. I struggle sometimes at WDW because of all the possible things that could go wrong with the rides, sparks my mind. They are very hard to 'snap out of' and very distressing, especially if we have split into groups. I seek reassurance after the scenarios, so we tend to stay all together so I can instantly see that everyone is alright, and I have to tell all of them I love them before we go on the ridr..otherwise I have a panic attack. I've yet to figure out another way to deal with it :confused3

If you have a problem with having a lot of people close around you, you may want to consider talking to guest relations about a GAC. On many rides, there are areas you can wait that are not as crowded as the reguar line. Many families of children with autism use this so their children aren't overwhelmed, and it work really well for them.

I was just at WDW last week. I have a panic disorder. I tried waiting in the normal lines the first day and almost lost it in line for dumbo. So I went and got a GAC. It was much easier to handle the rest of the time. I wasn't expecting to go to the front of the line just to be able to wait somewhere else where I could not be crowded.

This may be a bit repetitive, but:
I agree that an Ipod is probably a good idea, esp if you have a video one, you can choose calming music or a video that work for you, they also have the advantage of blocking other extraneous noise. Second, potentially wearing a hat and sunglasses to reduce the stimulus around you. Finally, first aid stations are air conditioned, and offer you a place to relax in a much less stimulating environment if you start to feel like you are having a meltdown. I hope you have a great trip!

I'm 58. I started having panic attacks when I was 16.

One thing that really helps me is ICE. Plain old ice cubes. I rub them on my face, necks, wrists, etc. and they rapidly slow my racing heart and make it much easier for me to breathe.

I don't go anywhere (and I do mean anywhere) without a large cup of ice cubes.

I just wanted to say I think this is a great thread to have. I posted on the OP's update thread since her trip and came back to check this thread out bc I hadn't seen it before. I have suffered from severe anxiety for a while now which has gotten alot worse in the last few years. I have a form of bipolar disorder the causes me to have sever anxiety and depression and hypomanic (not full blown manic) episodes. And I would have never even thought of posting on this board for suggestions to get through my anxiety at Disney. So kudos to the OP for such a great topic. And I love the suggestion for the listening to your ipod.

I definitely go during the non peak times bc I cannot handle the crowds when it gets so busy. And I have to make a schedule before I go otherwise I get too overwhelmed with all the choices and constantly worry about the next thing that we need to get done and I can't relax and start to breakdown. So I make the schedule of the main things I want to see, even if we don't stick completely to it, I still pretty much know what we are going to be doing each day and it allows me to relax more.

Something that can also be a very useful tool is refocusing.....Bring a camera along and decide before you head to the park what you are going to photo that day...it could be flowers, ride signs, hats. Whatever you like.

Another trick is to focus on hidden Mickey's....you can bring the book with you so you have a page that will cover just about every WDW area you can name.
I pray for all of you & understand the pain Panic can cause but please know with every panic attack you have you will come out the other side....

After I couldn't travel for years I finally learned enough tools through intensive therapy, breathing exercises, a card I always carried, changed behavior & medication. On the last day there I went into the shop on Main Street that used to blow glass.....I bought a giant Mickey glass mug & had inscribed on it "MADE IT". I still have it & cherish it.
:hug:to all.

We just got back from WDW too. I have anxiety "issues", although I don't think they are as severe as the OP, maybe, well hey an anxiety attack is an anxiety attack...

I had two almost-attacks there, they didn't go full-blown but they did start. I take Buspar normally, and have hydroxyzine for emergencies. I wasn't carrying the hydroxyzine with me to the parks, because it's an anti-histamine and dries me out really bad, and it was so hot there I really didn't think it would be a good idea to get even more dehydrated, plus they knock me out. So my little green pills were at Pop.

Anyway, the first time it happened was our first day in the parks, and I think what set it off was that I got too hot. (this was before we bought the big water fan) You know the routine-- you get hot so you get a little light-headed, so then you think something is wrong with you, and then the anxiety attack starts in. Since I didn't have any pills with me, there was nothing to do except make a stop at First Aid, where I tried to cool off and walk it off, then get on a bus ASAP.

The second time we were at Disney Studios, our last day in the parks. What started that was eating a really big lunch that didn't set well. So I felt kinda sick from that, and it was hot, and then it started the whole thing off again. I knew better this time, so we immediately headed for the bus. Except when we were almost to the bus (outside the gates already) I just couldn't deal with it, and went back into the park and to First Aid there. DH and the kids went on a few rides and I laid down. After my little nappy-nap I felt good enough to at least get back to the hotel, but we didn't push it any more that day.

So I'd say really be careful about getting overheated, because that's what set them off for me. It's easy to do if you're not used to the weather, and we were so excited to be there that I pushed myself.

Hi just found this thread and hugs to you all! :hug:

I am recovering from my panic problems (agoraphobia), slowly but surely, so i thought i'd share a few tips!

This may be a bit repetitive, but:
I agree that an Ipod is probably a good idea, esp if you have a video one, you can choose calming music or a video that work for you, they also have the advantage of blocking other extraneous noise.

I don't go ANYWHERE without my ipod anymore. All my friends know that when i pop those earphones in, its for a reason! The best way for me to calm down is to listen to a podcast like the DisUnplugged. They have lovely soothing voices, but also gives me something else to focus on. Disney is my happy place, so i've had relatively few panic attacks there. Universal was a lot worse for me.

So I'd say really be careful about getting overheated, because that's what set them off for me. It's easy to do if you're not used to the weather, and we were so excited to be there that I pushed myself.

You are so right! The main cause of my panic is hot flushes, over stimulation or feeling sick. Going into an air conditioned shop and sitting down, whilst someone gets you some water, is a good thing. When i panic, i often need to lie down and breath it out, whilst closing my eyes. I call it my 're-boot', kind of re-setting my mind from too much stuff going on. A few times its gotten bad enough for me to have to re-boot back at the hotel. I wish i had known of the first aid stations earlier, cause they would of helped!

I understand what the poster talking about danger was implying, that panic itself may be scary as heck, but in the most cases won't harm you, and it makes some people feel better to think this. However if you do have any underlying conditions, yes it can be 'dangerous'.

All the best on your trips! Hope you guys all have great trips! :goodvibes

I was just thinking that Disney has such wonderful effects.

Just think of this post ~ women from different countries, ages, backgrounds.
We all have suffered and I know some of you like me were and may still be paralyzed for months and years with Panic Disorder & Agoraphobia and here we are.....

Some other info I want to share with you is that if you are in severe crisis they will call security for you and get you back to your hotel ASAP.

Some other info I want to share with you is that if you are in severe crisis they will call security for you and get you back to your hotel ASAP.
That is a good point and I'm sure knowing that will be comforting to some people.

I have hyperthyroid and if I am tired or have been ill and my thyoid counts are balanced by meds, I have anxiety brought on by that medical condition.
The anxiety combined with rapid pulse and heart palpitations can cause heart disease if not treated.
I just wanted to offer that I use a watch timer to remind me to take meds. You can get very busy and distracted in WDW. Keeping to a routine like home helps a great deal.

I have a small portable device prescribed similiar to a TENS Unit that impulses to help me calm (overtired or not eating right and slamming headache or cramping up in shouldercollarbone from tension) that gets me painfree without carrying meds. It is meant for pain relief not anxiety specific but it works, by accident I found it helped my other symptoms.

I have hyperthyroid and if I am tired or have been ill and my thyoid counts are balanced by meds, I have anxiety brought on by that medical condition.
The anxiety combined with rapid pulse and heart palpitations can cause heart disease if not treated.
I just wanted to offer that I use a watch timer to remind me to take meds. You can get very busy and distracted in WDW. Keeping to a routine like home helps a great deal.

I have a small portable device prescribed similiar to a TENS Unit that impulses to help me calm (overtired or not eating right and slamming headache or cramping up in shouldercollarbone from tension) that gets me painfree without carrying meds. It is meant for pain relief not anxiety specific but it works, by accident I found it helped my other symptoms.

Are you trying to say that your thyroid brings on anxiety?

Yes Mam, and most women never get screened for that before they are prescribed Meds.
You hit the OB and they tell you anxiety from your kids, lifestyle, stress, menopause, when it is a medical condition that all the behavior modification in the world won't eliminate. My OB tried to tell me my heart palpitations were from Hot Flashes. It wasn't till my GP referred me to the endocrinologists that I got targeted meds I take daily after complete blood work showing the different thyroid counts.
Your heart races & feels like it is going to burst out of your chest and you have tremours, dizzy etc.. It is very scary to get in that place. I carry Xanax & use the tens unit on my upper back. I get pain through the top of shoulders if anxiety snowballs.

Does anyone else hunch their back & get shoulder pain through anxiety attacks??

editing to add that my OB put me on Loestrin thinking it was PMS not anxiety attack and the estrogen in the birth control pill actually makes attacks worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter