• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anxiety/OCD in the World?

Yes Mam, and most women never get screened for that before they are prescribed Meds.
You hit the OB and they tell you anxiety from your kids, lifestyle, stress, menopause, when it is a medical condition that all the behavior modification in the world won't eliminate. My OB tried to tell me my heart palpitations were from Hot Flashes. It wasn't till my GP referred me to the endocrinologists that I got targeted meds I take daily after complete blood work showing the different thyroid counts.
Your heart races & feels like it is going to burst out of your chest and you have tremours, dizzy etc.. It is very scary to get in that place. I carry Xanax & use the tens unit on my upper back. I get pain through the top of shoulders if anxiety snowballs.

Does anyone else hunch their back & get shoulder pain through anxiety attacks??

editing to add that my OB put me on Loestrin thinking it was PMS not anxiety attack and the estrogen in the birth control pill actually makes attacks worse.

Any disease and/or syndrome can be elevated by anxiety.
All muscles become rigid in the presence of anxiety/fear/dread.
Thyroid disease does have symptoms that mimic anxiety/panic disorder such as palpitations.
The use of a TENS unit validates that your anxiety disorder does indeed increase Graves Disease symptoms....Graves Disease does not "cause" anxiety disorder. Using Xanax which is 100% an anxiety/panic disorder medication shows there is more going on than Graves Disease.
Behavior modification when taught in the correct way to an individual willing to learn and practice methods can help with symptoms from all diseases even the late stage pain associated with cancers.

What is Xanax?

adv-h2.gif

display_ad(3); window.google_render_ad(); Feedback for Xanax
User ReviewsAvg User Rating57 Reviews
fbm-bar.gif

8.8Rate it!
Xanax is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peens). It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.
Xanax is used to treat anxiety disorders, panic disorders, and anxiety caused by depression.
Xanax may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

I would also add that visualization tools may be helpful to you & coping with panic/anxiety disorder.

Good Luck

I'm 58. I started having panic attacks when I was 16.

One thing that really helps me is ICE. Plain old ice cubes. I rub them on my face, necks, wrists, etc. and they rapidly slow my racing heart and make it much easier for me to breathe.

I don't go anywhere (and I do mean anywhere) without a large cup of ice cubes.

I wonder if this is due to the physiological reflex known as the "Mammalian Diving Reflex".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_diving_reflex

The mammalian diving reflex optimizes respiration which allows mammals to stay underwater for a long time. It is exhibited strongly in aquatic mammals (seals, otters, dolphins, etc.), but exists in a weaker version in other mammals, including humans. Every animal's diving reflex is triggered specifically by cold water contacting the face. Immediately upon facial contact with cold water, the human heart rate slows down ten to twenty-five percent.

This is why the ice on your face/neck causes your heart to slow down.
I have heard this reflex is also useful when you have a nose bleed as it also causes blood to be diverted to the heart and away from extremities.

Wow, Bopper, that is really interesting! I'd never heard about that reflex before. I know somebody who sometimes gets nosebleeds, so I'll have to pass this info. on to them.

I have heard of that reflex and known about it for years. it is one reason people drown because hitting face first into ice water shuts down the system. I learned to always jump feet first off of a sinking ship, lol.

Pressing the web next to your thumb helps alleve pain as does pressure points. the wrist is a good place for ice and heat as that spot leads to cold hands and warm hearts. I have heard about wrist warmers that you wear that heat the wrist which then heats the hands.

One of the best things someone with panic attacks can learn is that no one has ever died from a panic attack. I am a nurse and I had a patient once that all the nurses would complain about because she would put on her light complaining of chest pains every 5-10 minutes. I was very mortified how the nurses would speak about her especially being my daughter has panic attacks. I went in her room first time she called me in my first day dealing with her and said here is your anxiety pill and by the way no one has ever died from a panic attack I smiled warmly and held her hand while saying it. She didn't ring again the entire 8 hours and when I checked on her she was fine. I wouldn't of minded if she did ring I was just glad SHE was able to have a few hours of peace. At the end of my shift I went in to say goodbye and she thanked me and gave me a hug. I'm glad I helped her. I try to tell this to my 13 year old daughter who has panic attacks agoraphobia social anxiety aspergers and she doesn't get it or care. She just says I know I know but get me out of here NOW I have to leave. Maybe someday she will get it. All things pass thoughts can't hurt you you can say thank you brain for that thought and go on to your next thought. When you try to control your thoughts it makes it worse. Accept your thoughts, accept yourself!

Breathing, 2 exhales for every inhale be sure to not lengthen them, just when you would normally breath in again exhale once more practice 3 times a day for 5 minutes, you will retrain your bodies physiological response to anxiety.

One of the best things someone with panic attacks can learn is that no one has ever died from a panic attack. I am a nurse and I had a patient once that all the nurses would complain about because she would put on her light complaining of chest pains every 5-10 minutes. I was very mortified how the nurses would speak about her especially being my daughter has panic attacks. I went in her room first time she called me in my first day dealing with her and said here is your anxiety pill and by the way no one has ever died from a panic attack I smiled warmly and held her hand while saying it. She didn't ring again the entire 8 hours and when I checked on her she was fine. I wouldn't of minded if she did ring I was just glad SHE was able to have a few hours of peace. At the end of my shift I went in to say goodbye and she thanked me and gave me a hug. I'm glad I helped her. I try to tell this to my 13 year old daughter who has panic attacks agoraphobia social anxiety aspergers and she doesn't get it or care. She just says I know I know but get me out of here NOW I have to leave. Maybe someday she will get it. All things pass thoughts can't hurt you you can say thank you brain for that thought and go on to your next thought. When you try to control your thoughts it makes it worse. Accept your thoughts, accept yourself!

Breathing, 2 exhales for every inhale be sure to not lengthen them, just when you would normally breath in again exhale once more practice 3 times a day for 5 minutes, you will retrain your bodies physiological response to anxiety.[/quot

I have to disagree~

Thoughts can be very dangerous & add to agoraphobia & panic disorder.
Catastrophic thinking is thinking that just feeds & makes panic a much larger problem.
When your under treatment for very serious agoraphobia/panic disorder your thinking & reactions are the first thing that must change to ensure wellness.

I have struggled with Panic Attacks and Anxiety for the last 30 years. I have also been to WDW at least 12 times during this time. IT CAN BE DONE! Panic and Anxiety CAN BE MANAGED - though not easy. The intensity of my struggle has varied - there were a few years I just couldn't bear the thought of going ANYWHERE, let alone WDW! Then there were years I went to WDW and had no issues. But for the most part I have learned and developed some strategies to help me deal with my anxiety when/if it raises it's ugly head. Here are some:

1. Don't try to "hide" you anxiety or panic. I dealt with a lot of shame over this struggle. Trying to "hide" it from the people I was with, and anyone else, made it so much worse! If you start to feel anxious - tell someone! Take some "time out" to just sit somewhere, somewhat isolated, and have a cool drink. (The ice/cool drink reminds you that you are in the "here and now" - in a safe place. Anxiety and panic normally comes when our minds or bodies are remembering some type of trauma from the past, we need to remind ourselves we are in the "here and now" and have control over ourselves and our bodies and are NOT in danger!)

2. WATCH what your mind is thinking! When you first experience panic, the trick is to keep it to a minimum. Don't let it escalate. (On a scale of 0-10 0-NO anxiety, I have gotten pretty good at keeping any anxiety down to a 3! That is manageable for me!) Speak positive and calming words to yourself - NOT "Oh my gosh, here it comes, this is horrible, it's going to get worse, etc. etc. etc." Instead, "I am fine, I can find a safe place to rest, I'm OK, I am not in any danger." Take a lot of deep long breathes (focusing on exhaling) while thinking calming thoughts.

3. Don't feel pressure to ride something, or go somewhere you just aren't comfortable with. This may vary from day to day. On one day a ride may "feel fine" for you - on others it may just be too much! Our anxiety varies, based on how tired we are, how hungry we are, how lonely, etc. etc. we are! For example, I had a major panic attack after riding Spaceship Earth in Epcot - AND having it breakdown and g0et stuck in it for 30 minutes!! I was a wreck afterwards! Guess what, I have chosen not to go on that ride ever since. I may sometime in the future, if I "feel like it", but I refuse to put pressure on myself to do something that I know will be anxiety producing. I also refuse to do space mountain. Certain rides that are dark and enclosed really set off my agoraphobia, so I give myself permission to not do those rides and to NOT feel shame that I don't! When my family goes on Space Mountain, I ride around and around on the people mover - there is never a line, it's very soothing to just sit and look out over the whole Magic Kingdom. It's a nice calming get away for me! It is all "open" and slow moving, and very calming. It's a great way for me to have a "get away time"!

4. I am very careful NOT TO EAT TOO MUCH while out and about at Disney. It is a huge trigger for me if I start to feel nauseous or sick. I'm terrified of having diarrhea in a public place and not being able to get to a restroom! So I eat VERY lightly while at a park.

5. Similar to # 3 above, there are certain rides that "set me off" more than others. They are the dark, enclosed ones, where I feel trapped.

At Epcot: Spaceship Earth, the "simulated" elevators at Living Seas, for some reason the 360 degree movies at Canada get me dizzy and anxious, any high thrill ride, like body wars I can't do. I DID do testtrack, however, when the lines were short, because it was outdoors! I like the American Adventure, but will only go if the lines are short, and I always sit near in exit on or very near an aisle!

At Magic Kingdom: Can't do SpaceMountain. CAN do Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain - again because they are outdoors! (Fresh air always is a big help for my agoraphobia!).

At Animal Kingdom: This is my most relaxing park because you can just wander through the trails, enjoying the animals - the shows are all outdoors, and entertaining. It's a bug's life inside the Tree of Life was a little anxiety producing, because the line was somewhat long and indoors and I felt trapped, but once in the show, I sat on the end of an aisle near an exit, and the theater was big enough and cool enough I felt safe. I won't do the Big Foot ride - I just havent been inside of it to know how much is inside and how much is outside and just haven't wanted to take the risk. All other "rides" I was fine in - they were "open enough" I felt safe.

At the Studios: Won't do Star Wars, won't do the stunt show (too much loud noise and action), the backlot tour was ok - parts were a little "over stimulating" and created anxiety, but those parts were broken up enough with other things and being outdoors I survived without a major attack. LOVED Fantasmic - all outdoors and beautiful show. Won't do Rockin Rollercoaster (Won't do anything indoors, with tight, snug seating!). However, I DID do Hollywood Tower of Terror! I didn't think too much about it ahead of time - I knew it was a "quick" ride, went when line was really short, the door opens and you can feel the fresh air! It was fun!

All in all - avoiding large crowds and long lines is key. Keeping hydrated. Getting enough sleep. Not overeating, or eating so much that the GI tract stays calm. (I even will take some Immodium ahead of time as prevention.) So as others have said, go at the least busy times. I have even had an anxiety attack while waiting in line for the monorail or bus. I was hot, I was stuck in the middle of a huge line, and started feeling overwhelmed. Again, the trick was to as soon as I start to feel that way, excuse myself and GET OUT OF LINE! Manage the anxiety before it climbs too high on the stress scale! Don't go NOT expecting anxiety - you then just set yourself up for it! Go, with the goal of keeping your anxiety down to a manageable level! Plan for things that will help you! (For some that may mean medication - I always carry Xanax, I also use prayer and meditation.) I am always looking for quiet little corners to rest and have a cool drink to "regroup". I always try to plan for some "downtime" either at a quiet pool, or in my room to rest and have some peace and quiet.

Hope some of this "practical" advice can help someone out there! It IS do-able and the more you practice the deep breathing, body calming response (progressive body relaxation), and comforting thoughts, the easier it gets! I've come a LONG way in a lot of years! You can do it!

I have struggled with Panic Attacks and Anxiety for the last 30 years. I have also been to WDW at least 12 times during this time. IT CAN BE DONE! Panic and Anxiety CAN BE MANAGED - though not easy. The intensity of my struggle has varied - there were a few years I just couldn't bear the thought of going ANYWHERE, let alone WDW! Then there were years I went to WDW and had no issues. But for the most part I have learned and developed some strategies to help me deal with my anxiety when/if it raises it's ugly head. Here are some:

1. Don't try to "hide" you anxiety or panic. I dealt with a lot of shame over this struggle. Trying to "hide" it from the people I was with, and anyone else, made it so much worse! If you start to feel anxious - tell someone! Take some "time out" to just sit somewhere, somewhat isolated, and have a cool drink. (The ice/cool drink reminds you that you are in the "here and now" - in a safe place. Anxiety and panic normally comes when our minds or bodies are remembering some type of trauma from the past, we need to remind ourselves we are in the "here and now" and have control over ourselves and our bodies and are NOT in danger!)

2. WATCH what your mind is thinking! When you first experience panic, the trick is to keep it to a minimum. Don't let it escalate. (On a scale of 0-10 0-NO anxiety, I have gotten pretty good at keeping any anxiety down to a 3! That is manageable for me!) Speak positive and calming words to yourself - NOT "Oh my gosh, here it comes, this is horrible, it's going to get worse, etc. etc. etc." Instead, "I am fine, I can find a safe place to rest, I'm OK, I am not in any danger." Take a lot of deep long breathes (focusing on exhaling) while thinking calming thoughts.

3. Don't feel pressure to ride something, or go somewhere you just aren't comfortable with. This may vary from day to day. On one day a ride may "feel fine" for you - on others it may just be too much! Our anxiety varies, based on how tired we are, how hungry we are, how lonely, etc. etc. we are! For example, I had a major panic attack after riding Spaceship Earth in Epcot - AND having it breakdown and g0et stuck in it for 30 minutes!! I was a wreck afterwards! Guess what, I have chosen not to go on that ride ever since. I may sometime in the future, if I "feel like it", but I refuse to put pressure on myself to do something that I know will be anxiety producing. I also refuse to do space mountain. Certain rides that are dark and enclosed really set off my agoraphobia, so I give myself permission to not do those rides and to NOT feel shame that I don't! When my family goes on Space Mountain, I ride around and around on the people mover - there is never a line, it's very soothing to just sit and look out over the whole Magic Kingdom. It's a nice calming get away for me! It is all "open" and slow moving, and very calming. It's a great way for me to have a "get away time"!

4. I am very careful NOT TO EAT TOO MUCH while out and about at Disney. It is a huge trigger for me if I start to feel nauseous or sick. I'm terrified of having diarrhea in a public place and not being able to get to a restroom! So I eat VERY lightly while at a park.

5. Similar to # 3 above, there are certain rides that "set me off" more than others. They are the dark, enclosed ones, where I feel trapped.

At Epcot: Spaceship Earth, the "simulated" elevators at Living Seas, for some reason the 360 degree movies at Canada get me dizzy and anxious, any high thrill ride, like body wars I can't do. I DID do testtrack, however, when the lines were short, because it was outdoors! I like the American Adventure, but will only go if the lines are short, and I always sit near in exit on or very near an aisle!

At Magic Kingdom: Can't do SpaceMountain. CAN do Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain - again because they are outdoors! (Fresh air always is a big help for my agoraphobia!).

At Animal Kingdom: This is my most relaxing park because you can just wander through the trails, enjoying the animals - the shows are all outdoors, and entertaining. It's a bug's life inside the Tree of Life was a little anxiety producing, because the line was somewhat long and indoors and I felt trapped, but once in the show, I sat on the end of an aisle near an exit, and the theater was big enough and cool enough I felt safe. I won't do the Big Foot ride - I just havent been inside of it to know how much is inside and how much is outside and just haven't wanted to take the risk. All other "rides" I was fine in - they were "open enough" I felt safe.

At the Studios: Won't do Star Wars, won't do the stunt show (too much loud noise and action), the backlot tour was ok - parts were a little "over stimulating" and created anxiety, but those parts were broken up enough with other things and being outdoors I survived without a major attack. LOVED Fantasmic - all outdoors and beautiful show. Won't do Rockin Rollercoaster (Won't do anything indoors, with tight, snug seating!). However, I DID do Hollywood Tower of Terror! I didn't think too much about it ahead of time - I knew it was a "quick" ride, went when line was really short, the door opens and you can feel the fresh air! It was fun!

All in all - avoiding large crowds and long lines is key. Keeping hydrated. Getting enough sleep. Not overeating, or eating so much that the GI tract stays calm. (I even will take some Immodium ahead of time as prevention.) So as others have said, go at the least busy times. I have even had an anxiety attack while waiting in line for the monorail or bus. I was hot, I was stuck in the middle of a huge line, and started feeling overwhelmed. Again, the trick was to as soon as I start to feel that way, excuse myself and GET OUT OF LINE! Manage the anxiety before it climbs too high on the stress scale! Don't go NOT expecting anxiety - you then just set yourself up for it! Go, with the goal of keeping your anxiety down to a manageable level! Plan for things that will help you! (For some that may mean medication - I always carry Xanax, I also use prayer and meditation.) I am always looking for quiet little corners to rest and have a cool drink to "regroup". I always try to plan for some "downtime" either at a quiet pool, or in my room to rest and have some peace and quiet.

Hope some of this "practical" advice can help someone out there! It IS do-able and the more you practice the deep breathing, body calming response (progressive body relaxation), and comforting thoughts, the easier it gets! I've come a LONG way in a lot of years! You can do it!

There is some really great advice in this post.:thumbsup2

I think it is also important to remember, just because something works from one person-it may not work for you. And that is ok! Go with your comfort level-more great advice!

Removing yourself is GREAT advice!!!!! I have found lots of "get away" places. And they do make all the difference in the world.

I do hope you will be posting more around here!

Some good suggestions but most would not have worked for me at my worst~
The first thing I would advise against is Xanax, it has a very short 1/2 life so when it wears off you can have serious rebound. Something like Klonopin has a much longer 1/2 life and far less if any rebound.

*food & bathroom issues are an entirely different diagnosis......
*isolation can also increase panic~

Thanks for this Disney1957 for the info. :thumbsup2

I totally understand what you say about eating too much, feeling sick and overfull never helps with anxiety! I usually go to the other extreme and don't eat anything, which can then make me feel dizzy and start my anxious feelings. So a reasonable breakfast is a great way to start the day! I usually go for a bagel or a cereal bar and some fruit if we are 'on the go'

Some good suggestions but most would not have worked for me at my worst~
The first thing I would advise against is Xanax, it has a very short 1/2 life so when it wears off you can have serious rebound. Something like Klonopin has a much longer 1/2 life and far less if any rebound.

*food & bathroom issues are an entirely different diagnosis......
*isolation can also increase panic~

Isolation completely depends on a individual. I personally prefer being alone, as I can't concentrate on other people's feelings or emotions when I am panicky. I do better having a rest and a sleep on my own wherever possible. However others fear being alone, and having other people around them is comforting. Whatever works for you!

The medical advice isn't great for me, as firstly I am British so all the names are different. Secondly I am trying to deal with this without medication. I got hooked on travel sickness pills for a while for comfort, but they made me very very tired. I am trying to wean myself off them, and do it alone, as personally they are something else I have to try and tackle face on. I am very lucky as my mother is a psychologist and is helping me every step of the way. However if med's work for you, great!

I know how hard this is for everyone, and suggestions and helpful hints are great, even if they don't work for you. Just knowing I am not alone and having a community makes me feel so much better. So thanks guys! :goodvibes

Isolation completely depends on a individual. I personally prefer being alone, as I can't concentrate on other people's feelings or emotions when I am panicky. I do better having a rest and a sleep on my own wherever possible. However others fear being alone, and having other people around them is comforting. Whatever works for you!

The medical advice isn't great for me, as firstly I am British so all the names are different. Secondly I am trying to deal with this without medication. I got hooked on travel sickness pills for a while for comfort, but they made me very very tired. I am trying to wean myself off them, and do it alone, as personally they are something else I have to try and tackle face on. I am very lucky as my mother is a psychologist and is helping me every step of the way. However if med's work for you, great!

I know how hard this is for everyone, and suggestions and helpful hints are great, even if they don't work for you. Just knowing I am not alone and having a community makes me feel so much better. So thanks guys! :goodvibes

Best of luck to you.
They were very difficult years, I am very happy they are behind me.

Hello! Myself my DH and DM are taking my 4 year old daughter to disney this December. She was just diagnosed with OCD and Anxiety disorder. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help her? She is really excited about going and I do not want to take that from her and tell her she can't handle it. I am making her a book with pictures of all the plans for everyday to help her be prepared. Please if you have any thoughts I would love to hear them. Thank you!
Andrea

Jandeeah,

Welcome,

Since OCD and anxiety disorder at the age of 4 are almost certainly from manifestations of some underlying unrecognized neurological variation, I would recommend reading some of the past threads (be sure to set the display option at the bottom of the main tread to a lest 1 year) and review some of the threads by parents with children with sensory issues, Autism/Apsergers and other neurovariations. These parents have lots of experience with anxiety and OCD type manifestations and how to make WDW the magical place that it should be for our children.

If you are interested in a broader discussion of your child’s manifestations and other similar experiences, I invite you to the disabilities community board where we have a very active group of parents facing similar issue to the ones that you are facing.

Again welcome.

bookwormde

I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but I was looking through the DISabilities area and saw that there was a link to help with anxiety. This is where it sent me. I just want to say it is nice to have people actually understand that anxiety can be very disabling. I have anxiety that randomly comes on and haven't figured out all of the triggers yet. I do know that I have issues being around large groups of people and that rides (even in cars) can make me fear for the wellbeing of everyone I know. I am planning on going to wdw next month and since I was invited by my bff I am trying to go with his family's flow. The problem is that having plans to follow and making them keep me sane. The lack of a controlled situation already has me in knots. Any ideas?

I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but I was looking through the DISabilities area and saw that there was a link to help with anxiety. This is where it sent me. I just want to say it is nice to have people actually understand that anxiety can be very disabling. I have anxiety that randomly comes on and haven't figured out all of the triggers yet. I do know that I have issues being around large groups of people and that rides (even in cars) can make me fear for the wellbeing of everyone I know. I am planning on going to wdw next month and since I was invited by my bff I am trying to go with his family's flow. The problem is that having plans to follow and making them keep me sane. The lack of a controlled situation already has me in knots. Any ideas?

Hey, stitchywoman!!! As the wife of someone who suffers from severe anxiety and acute agoraphobia, I can empathize.

Honestly, one of the many reasons we go back to WDW is because my husband is familiar with the layout. He also knows there are medic units in every park and that, if things get too bad or the day gets to be "too much", we can get back to the resort ASAP.

I'm not sure about your family, but our family does try to have a loose plan for the day. We usually go during free dining, so we know when we will sit down for a meal. We also have a general plan of what rides we will go on and this helps my husband. He also tries to focus on the kids as much as possible: watching their happy faces, taking pictures of them, asking what they thought of a particular ride, etc. This seems to lessen the anxiety a bit for him.

I should have prefaced by saying my hubby does not travel with us at all except to WDW.....I have taken the kids to Baltimore, Niagara Falls and Shenandoah National Park all without my hubby (and that's just a few places). He does not do well at all when we leave the house and it really is a hard disability to live with.....one of those things that can't be seen, but is really debilitating.

I hope this helps. I would also tell you to look at park maps before you go so that you know where the medic centers are (that may give you just a bit of peace of mind). Also, know that if you are feeling overwhelmed and anxious, you can sit and rest to get back to where you need to be. In our opinion one of the best rides to lessen anxiety - the TTA (or WEDway People Mover). You can sit on there for as long as you like and enjoy Tomorrowland (the attendents will usually let you just keep sitting....all you have to do is ask).

The DISboards have been a great place for me. And it's good to know you're not alone out there. :goodvibes

I am normally commando when it comes to any vacation, especially disney world, but since it is my friend's family's trip I don't get to do everything I normally do. I normally have EVERYTHING planned down to best times to do each ride, all meals planned, travel from place to place etc. Not being able to do that is what is causing me stress. His family basically makes all decisions and expects everyone to go with their flow. On a daily basis I am used to it but I am scared for the trip. My DH is trying to understand and work with me (he is just accepting it really is an issue), but they are all bipolar or depressed or other issues and are on medications for them, so they are more worried about themselves than me. I understand that and since I was invited on their vacation I am trying to go with it as much as possible, but the thought of going now has me in tears.

My advice would be to try and do what you can with that family. If it gets to be too much, excuse yourself for awhile. Go and ride something that you want to go on or see a show you want to do. If you have a cell phone, it shouldn't be too hard to reconnect with them after a short break apart.

It is nice that you were invited, but *your* health should come first. If you're feeling anxious, you need some time to yourself.

Try not to worry too much and I do hope you have a wonderful trip!

Hi, all.
I've always had a problem with OCD and anxiety--one of the main reasons I haven't been to WDW in such a long time. Anyone have any tips for how to stay calm in such a stimulating, crowded place? Thanks.

:wave2:

Here are some of my tips!

1- We always go during September to avoid the crowds. Normally the full week after Labor Day week.

2- I don't like parades, so whenever they're going on down Main St. or down Hollywood Blvd. we walk through the shops to get around them. It's much quieter and since most people are out watching the parade, it's pretty easy to get through.

3- EARPLUGS. Ear plugs are a SAVIOR for both DH and me. DH doesn't have the anxiety like I do, but he appreciates having them, too. I like to pop them in any time I need to "get away". I also carry my ipod with me that has my relaxation songs/ guided meditations. That helps a lot too. It kind of takes you away from your current situation until you can get your footing back and carry on (so to speak).

4- I tend to get anxious in restaurants (in the world and at home), and DH knows my anxious cues, so he'll pull out his iphone and we'll play a game or look at pictures from home or I'll check my Facebook/Email. Feeling connected back home helps me a lot. Sometimes I'll call my sister or call my parents, and by the end of the conversation I'm normally "ok enough" to carry on.

5- After going a zillion times now, I know what rides I do well with, and what rides cause my anxiety to skyrocket. For me, I avoid (now) It's Tough to be a Bug, Figment, Dinosaur (sometimes- if I have my earplugs I'm fine), parades, and at fireworks I wear earplugs and sunglasses. Some rides/attractions that I do REALLY well with are Living with the Land, Pirates, Spaceship Earth, Soarin, TTA, Maelstrom, and 3 Caballeros.

6- During the day, if we need a break we like to go to area Deluxe Hotels and sit in the lobbies. We watched a piano player and jazz band in the lobby of the Grand Floridian, ate a packed lunch in the lobby of Wilderness Lodge, and chilled out on the convention floor of the Contemporary. These were all big, out of the way spaces that were great for cooling off and taking a breather. BTW- we were staying at Pop :goodvibes

7- I love having a car. It makes me feel better that we can leave anytime we want to leave, without having to wait for a bus (except for MK of course, but I'm ok with the monorail or ferry).

8- Stay onsite- it's such a better experience.

9- Bring comfort items from home. In the hotel room I like to have my own blanket from home and some lounge-around clothes to change into at the end of the day (different from pj's- kind of like a track suit). I also bring with me calming essential oils, Rescue Remedy (look this up on Google- I swear by it), my normal snacks and toiletries that I'm used to, and my laptop with some DVD's packed in case there's nothing on TV (but, with the plethera of Phineas and Ferb, we do ok :rotfl:).

10- Go for evening or morning walks. Some of my FAVORITE times is walking around the Swalphin or Boardwalk in the evenings. The evening movies at the pools are also super relaxing, and I LOVE WATCHING WISHES FROM THE POLY BEACH.

4- I tend to get anxious in restaurants (in the world and at home), and DH knows my anxious cues, so he'll pull out his iphone and we'll play a game or look at pictures from home or I'll check my Facebook/Email. Feeling connected back home helps me a lot. Sometimes I'll call my sister or call my parents, and by the end of the conversation I'm normally "ok enough" to carry on.

5- After going a zillion times now, I know what rides I do well with, and what rides cause my anxiety to skyrocket.

8- Stay onsite- it's such a better experience.

9- Bring comfort items from home. In the hotel room I like to have my own blanket from home and some lounge-around clothes to change into at the end of the day (different from pj's- kind of like a track suit). I also bring with me calming essential oils, Rescue Remedy (look this up on Google- I swear by it), my normal snacks and toiletries that I'm used to, and my laptop with some DVD's packed in case there's nothing on TV (but, with the plethera of Phineas and Ferb, we do ok :rotfl:).

10- Go for evening or morning walks. Some of my FAVORITE times is walking around the Swalphin or Boardwalk in the evenings. The evening movies at the pools are also super relaxing, and I LOVE WATCHING WISHES FROM THE POLY BEACH.

Restaurants make me nervous too. I think its the being surrounded by strangers and not moving thing. I also have tons of issues with fears of rejection that send me into a huge panic sometimes so I don't like setting myself up for "NO". Sounds strange but I don't like failing and if I ask if they can do something or have something and they say no my heart starts racing and I feel like I am beet red. Everyone I know thinks it's insane, but it's me... keeping busy helps, so I message and call my mom too. Most of the time my DH is understanding about it, but sometimes he gets agitated and snaps.

I have rides that set me off sometimes too. Indiana Jones the ride att DL can be one for me, because I start having fears of accidents and it sets off my doom thoughts. Lame I know but true. Space mountain can do it too. In general its a roller coaster thing.

I agree with staying onsite. We aren't this time and I know worrying about not being able to leave when I want or putting others out if they want to leave is amping up my anxiety. I am pretty sure it's onsite again after my September trip.

I always bring home items but some of these are GREAT ideas! My MIL showed me rescue remedy years ago and I have used it when I am with her. I should buy myself some! I bring stuffed animals (disney ones always pal mickey and my stitch that says "I love you" and answers you...They both play games and stitch tells jokes...hahaha...) my OCD goes off when I pack! I think I am forgetting things if I don't overpack:eek: I think comfy clothes are a good idea too!

I want to try watching Wishes from Poly. I have done the boat and seen it from right up front at the castle and this seems very peaceful. My friend's family was complaining about the cast members and the people who were watching the show and how packed it was. I mentioned Poly and they seem to think it's a good idea, which is exciting to me.

Thanks for all the great tips:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter