Any first hand reports of Photo Pass box with Tink?

I just did it with Tink tonight. There was a person hitting the shutter button but it was using the box.

Let me be clear, this is the worst Meet and Greet I've ever done. Almost no interaction and every picture she was just looking straight at the box. It may have just been a poor actresses, but I have a feeling it is because the box isn't flexible at all and she knows she has to stay in one spot. We got 14 pictures and her feet never moved.

The photos themselves are fairly bad. The flashes are on the ceiling and cast harsh shadows on the backdrop. The pictures are a little over exposed. Of course, none of the kids I saw actually looked at the camera (pros have issues with this, so no box is going to get kids to look at them). I got DD to look at it by standing right next to it myself. Also my wife was turned a little off center and there was no way of knowing until afterwards.

The worst part, is since I know the pictures were going to be trash, I had to take pictures with my own camera so we didn't get any pictures together.

To be fair, my father in law is a high end pro and I am a hobbiest so I have high standards. That being said, I've always enjoyed the majority of photopass pictures at least as a snapshot. I didn't get any tonight that's I'd put in my digital picture frame.

Attachments

• 358288214_754475270_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg~2.jpeg
    358288214_754475270_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg~2.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
I just did it with Tink tonight. There was a person hitting the shutter button but it was using the box.

Let me be clear, this is the worst Meet and Greet I've ever done. Almost no interaction and every picture she was just looking straight at the box. It may have just been a poor actresses, but I have a feeling it is because the box isn't flexible at all and she knows she has to stay in one spot. We got 14 pictures and her feet never moved.

The photos themselves are fairly bad. The flashes are on the ceiling and cast harsh shadows on the backdrop. The pictures are a little over exposed. Of course, none of the kids I saw actually looked at the camera (pros have issues with this, so no box is going to get kids to look at them). I got DD to look at it by standing right next to it myself. Also my wife was turned a little off center and there was no way of knowing until afterwards.

The worst part, is since I know the pictures were going to be trash, I had to take pictures with my own camera so we didn't get any pictures together.

To be fair, my father in law is a high end pro and I am a hobbiest so I have high standards. That being said, I've always enjoyed the majority of photopass pictures at least as a snapshot. I didn't get any tonight that's I'd put in my digital picture frame.

I need to resize the image, but once I do I'll post it.
Pretty much what I expected. Not good. And it's ridiculous that they couldn't even get the exposure right since that's one of the advantages of being in a static indoor location. They should be able to set it for the conditions and have pretty consistent results.

Not surprising at all that your daughter wouldn't look at the camera. Kids look at people. They don't look at boxes.

Come on Disney.

Wait, there is a person hitting the shutter on the box? So how does this even save them money?

Wait, there is a person hitting the shutter on the box? So how does this even save them money?
I assume that's a transitional thing, getting everyone used to how it all works. But who knows.

yeesh. That's bad.

@OSUZorba That's more than an exposure problem. The white balance is off. There's no excuse for that in a static location like that.

@OSUZorba That's more than an exposure problem. The white balance is off. There's no excuse for that in a static location like that.
I've only looked at them on my phone so I didn't look that close, but that doesn't surprise me. The only good thing about a box should be that it gets the exposure and temperature right in an indoor studio.

I could see it being more "immersive" except for the arkwardness of staring at a wall and being told to. Which is pretty much all Tink said to DD, "look right there."

I've only looked at them on my phone so I didn't look that close, but that doesn't surprise me. The only good thing about a box should be that it gets the exposure and temperature right in an indoor studio.

I could see it being more "immersive" except for the arkwardness of staring at a wall and being told to. Which is pretty much all Tink said to DD, "look right there."
So, I would say the next step would be to replace the character with a stationary animatronic, but that could be too expensive. Maybe just a green screen? Take a couple pictures and they will just charge by the number and type of character green screen backdrops added...

Huh. That isn't how Disney advertised it. They said there would be multiple cameras taking pictures from different angles to capture more moments from the character interaction. Honestly, if it were done well I could see it being a benefit, esp since many photopass photographers aren't great. But it sounds like this isn't that, and it's done poorly and not as advertised.

Huh. That isn't how Disney advertised it. They said there would be multiple cameras taking pictures from different angles to capture more moments from the character interaction. Honestly, if it were done well I could see it being a benefit, esp since many photopass photographers aren't great. But it sounds like this isn't that, and it's done poorly and not as advertised.
It also isn't zoomed in at all. I assume so it can get a shot wherever you're standing. But I cropped out more than 2/3 of the picture I posted. That's fine if you just want to post it on Facebook, but if you want to print something you end up with a much lower resolution image.

It also isn't zoomed in at all. I assume so it can get a shot wherever you're standing. But I cropped out more than 2/3 of the picture I posted. That's fine if you just want to post it on Facebook, but if you want to print something you end up with a much lower resolution image.
Could we see the uncropped version?

Did you make your concerns known to Disney?

We're planning my kid's first trip and I was really thinking about splurging on Memory Maker, which isn't something we'd normally do...gonna need to keep an eye on this and decide whether we should just save our $169. :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter