Any one rethinking the sky liner?

We just got back from our trip and rode it twice while there. Once from Studios to Pop and then one trip on the whole thing making the transfers at the hub at CBR. I would do it again despite the glitches. I feel like any transportation option has a risk involved. A fairly low-impact crash at the hub is better than a crash on a faster moving bus or monorail IMO. I do think that I'd be more concerned if I were low mobility or I had issues with heat (or cold, I think they are going to be chilly in the late fall and winter with all the open vents in the lower portion of the cabs).

This is not new technology. I'm sure it will take time to figure out what happened and fix it. This type of system is used in many other places, so similar issues have had to occur elsewhere.
Just glad nobidy got hurt.
Would also have hated to be in the car for 2+ hours on an August afternoon. Lucky it was fall and later in the day.

I am still curious to ride it because it just sounds so darn cool and the views must be amazing. Not sure I would ride it at high noon on a hot August day, but at night or in the cooler temps maybe.

Someone posted on another thread that the views at night weren’t good due to glare.

Last edited:

It was great for going between HS and EPCOT taking less than twenty minutes to get between the parks.
If you hit the bus stop at the right time, it's five minutes between the fronts of the two parks.
We are hopping from the MK to Epcot on day one and when my husband assumed we were using the monorail I said no way. We will walk to CR and catch a Lyft from there.
I
Or, bus from MK to BC, then walk to the IG.

If you hit the bus stop at the right time, it's five minutes between the fronts of the two parks.
I

I thought about it, especially with the entrance construction at Epcot. Game time decision.

I
I've had that happen before but that takes a very perfect storm to happen with timing of bus arriving, which stop you're at, the traffic, scooter(s)/no scooter(s), etc. Honestly 15-30 minutes is the average for busing between the two including wait time for the bus to arrive. Walking is the most reliably quick way to get between the two if you're actually trying to determine the consistently quickest route.

I still want to ride it once just to experience it. I'll be treating it like a break to get off my feet and see the Riveria Resort

Other than that I had no interest in continuing to ride it as a method of transportation between DHS and EP.

We have Riviera booked over Christmas week. I'm not sure what we're going to do now as I'm not sure I want to be both a new resort and Skyliner guinea pig. The resort looks beautiful and, if working as designed, the Skyliner looks efficient, but after last night . . . . ? I'm still in wait and see mode. If we get stuck on a gondola for 3 hours I may never be able to get my family back to WDW.

We leave in like 4 days...so it may not even be open. I would still ride it- after a mishap like this it should be extra secure if they do open it back up right? right? My husband is a little scared of heights so he may not be so ready. It definitely has me thinking though...

I have no qualms at the moment about using the Skyliner. The past 2 trips we've stayed at Pop and I expect we will again.

My DH hates heights; there's no way he was riding a gondola 60 feet up regardless of how perfectly it operates. After this, it has me questioning them a little, too. I might ride in the future, once the kinks are worked out and they've proven that accidents, evacuations, and stoppages are truly the exception rather than the rule. But Disney calling it an "unexpected downtime" (or whatever they said) instead of being truthful and transparent does affect my willingness to give them a second chance -- can I believe them in a few years when I'm thinking about riding and they insist the Skyliner has a great safety/operating record?

The announcement of the new Skyliner never mattered to me. I thought it was good idea to add transportation, but it was never going to be a deciding factor to me where I stayed UNLESS, it was considerably cheaper to stay somewhere that didn't have it. And after last night's incident, I won't be changing my mind on getting on one anytime soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter