Any one rethinking the sky liner?

Not at all. We look forward to using the skyliner from POP. If a plane crashes. I’ll still fly the next day. The wife will be in Orlando in business for 2 days. She is going to go to Disney Springs hop on a bus to POP then give it a go. So she will ride it before me....:guilty: a lot of people we know already rode it and really enjoyed it.

The Skyliner having an accident in week 1 just isn't the same as having an accident in year 3. In the latter case, I'd be a lot more able to look at the proven track record and shrug it off with an "accidents sometimes, though rarely, happen," just like with cars and planes.

We will be there in November and if it's open we are looking forward to trying it. We are staying at BC so it's not an issue of transportation for us but I certainly don't think it's a safety concern. Any form of transportation is subject to accidents. My only concern is that it may not reopen for a while based on what I'm reading now.

We'll have the opportunity to ride it in June. If it demonstrates a consistent safety record between now and then, we'll probably ride it. But only in early morning or in the evening, just in case it gets stuck. If it keeps having accidents, we'll pass on it.

The monorail has had crashes and doors opening in the air
And if the monorail has to be evacuated, it's literally done through the roof!
I've had that happen before but that takes a very perfect storm to happen with timing of bus arriving, which stop you're at, the traffic, scooter(s)/no scooter(s)
True, it does require perfectt timing by the guest - arrive at the bus stop just before a bus comes, not right after a bus left. But which stop? There's one at each park.

One single direct bus ride - the ride itself - has to be faster than one that takes you on an indirect route and demands a transfer.

If you have a fear of heights or claustrophobia then the skyliner probably wasn't for you to begin with and this incident would probably seal the deal, you're never going to ride it. Those fears might seem irrational to those who don't suffer from them but they are not irrational. They are real to the person who carries them and only that person can judge them. If you don't suffer from either of those two fears then this incident probably doesn't matter to you. The only thing this incident caused was inconvenience which disney atoned for. There were no physical injuries. We're booked at the CBR in January and the only way I will change my reservation is if the skyliner is NOT back up and running by then.

We booked at POP in Dec to save some money with the skyliner as a bonus. If it is operational, we will ride it from the resort to each of the parks occasionally (not for rope drop or going to/from Epcot to HS unless the consistent reliability improves). We might avoid it though if going again in hot weather.

I expect lots of 'nays' are in the moment decisions and will change later, otherwise maybe the lines will be shorter!! We will be so excited to ride it in April. I would take my chances on it before riding extremely fast/high coasters! Have you seen pics of some of those accidents?? All rides can malfunction. :confused3 It's a matter of what we will do/rationalize personally.

I’ll ride it but probably first thing in morning or evening. I’ll go to the bathroom first and bring drinks, snacks and a fully charged phone! However, if it is not efficient it could be a 1-2 time thing and then back to other modes of transportation. If it stops frequently that will effect being both hot (or cold) plus just not efficient.

I plan on riding it when I visit next year. I’m sure they will have the issues worked out by then, but if it’s still glitchy like it is now I’ll ride it on a non park day to not risk losing 3 hours of park time

Yes definitely. Not because of the accident itself, I get that that happens, but due to the slow evacuation procedures. I have some mild claustrophobia issues. I could easily do it when it's constantly moving and could even deal with a stopped situation for a time, but I know three hours is passed my limit. I don't have a POP stay planned right now, but in the past had considered paying a premium for the skyliner. Now I will just save my money and stick to all-star movies until the system is operating more smoothly. They probably should've waited until the system had the kinks worked out to increase POP prices.

I was on the fence, personally, before this incident. I know my husband would likely not ride it due to a fear of heights and anxiety, and one kid probably wouldn't handle an extended stoppage very well, so as a family, we are out. However, I travel to WDW with a friend and one sister occasionally. My friend and I had agreed that we wouldn't get on them in temperatures exceeding 75 degrees prior to this incident. We are both perimenopausal and starting to be quite heat intolerant, and the thought of being in there during a stoppage in warm weather sounds miserable. We talked about this yesterday and agreed that it seems Disney dropped the ball in a few ways with this system and unless some pretty major changes are made, we likely won't be riding them in the future.

I thought the whole point of these was to create something more efficient than buses? Taking 60 minutes to travel between DHS and Epcot is terrible. You could walk back and forth 3 times in that time. Where is the efficiency? The lure of gondolas is that they are continually moving. Frequent stoppages negate the whole reason for the system in the first place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter