• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Anyone decide to pack it in and cancel trip later this year?

Honestly I want to quit thinking about reservations, points, etc. I make my reservations 11 months out and then sit back and relax. Lately the conversations in my house are all about new plans, contingency plans, and back up plans.

they've already announced Food and Wine WILL be happening. It will be modified and no concerts. So he should look at what will be offered and decide if he still wants go.
didn't see that on the Dis so thanks for the info.

We have a trip planned to BLT in early November with our son and his girlfriend who will be a first-timer. Of course we were delighted that our son’s love of Disney has resurfaced as a young professional and That he wanted to share it with his serious girlfriend.

We are all signed up for the Wine and Dine race which looks like it will be cancelled. DH and I were discussing the fact that Disney is not an inexpensive trip to not be able to have the full experience or something close. Tickets cost the same with a lesser experience. Restaurant experiences will not be the same. Covid necessities will have an impact on the experience. I know a first-timer will not have a frame of reference but we would like the experience to be so much more. Many of the experiences our son would like to share with his soon to be fiance will not be available. And now we are dealing with waiting to purchase our son’s girlfriend’s park ticket and hope to still be able to secure park reservations. Ironically, the fear of Covid is not a factor in considering to cancel.

Has anyone else cancelled or Is considering cancelling for the same reasons?
Still holding out hope! My son has a Disney wedding for November 20. We booked the entire party with our DVC but were waiting on tickets. My son has not heard anything constructive from the wedding folks so we'll see what happens.

We cancelled our June Vero trip, which would have been cancelled anyway. we also cancelled our November trip due to fear that the virus will be bad and not wanting to be so close to others. Right now I've rescheduled for March 2021 and I hope that that will be a go. Keeping my fingers crossed

Wait n see for our family right now. We rented dvc points and I used cc points for tickets and airfair. So if we can go we will since I saved so much on this trips price.

Unless the 14 day quarantine order is lifted I'm not chancing it. But I do have to admit the recent uptick in cases there gave me pause to ask myself should I really go. My check in is a little more than a month away

And now we are dealing with waiting to purchase our son’s girlfriend’s park ticket and hope to still be able to secure park reservations.
I would suggest you wait till after WDW opens in July to make a decision. To see what people are experiencing. I would go ahead and get GF's ticket, if you can, then get park reservations.

We canceled April, then August, my son and his GF are going in Jan. as long as they don't cancel the half marathon. But as for me not before next Summer ,,,,maybe

Honestly I want to quit thinking about reservations, points, etc. I make my reservations 11 months out and then sit back and relax. Lately the conversations in my house are all about new plans, contingency plans, and back up plans.
... and back-up plans to the back-up plans!

Unless the 14 day quarantine order is lifted I'm not chancing it. But I do have to admit the recent uptick in cases there gave me pause to ask myself should I really go. My check in is a little more than a month away

Just rescheduled my August ressie to November. With work, there is no way I can do a 14 day quarantine on returning home. I’m hoping by the time I go, it will be lifted.

And like many folks, this started as a trip in May 😏

We cancelled three, no actually four, WDW vacations. Bank most of our points, but had to use the remainder before April 2021 so we reserved a Beach Cottage in Vero Beach for September. Right now it's a wait and watch the Florida COVID numbers and quarantine restrictions. My feeling right now is a Beach Cottage to ourselves (separate from the resort), a request for no housekeeping (which I've read we can now do) and driving down with our own food and just enjoying the beach is relatively safe. Final decision will be in August.

Canada here too, west coast. We cancelled our Nov/Dec trip. Flights, borders opening, medical insurance, and changes at WDW made it so that there were too many unknows to make it worth the time and expense to go. Every disappointed though as I look forward all year to our annual trip. Nothing planned now till Nov/Dec 2021 :sad:

Our very first trip as DVC members was meant to be in December, but we cancelled and rearranged for April 2021, coming from the UK, the possibility of major restrictions didn't make it worth it.

It's weird though, we'll have been DVC members for over 12 months and bought a 2nd contract (awaiting ROFR) before our first trip!

mid Aug trip rescheduled from May. We have tickets and park reservations. Getting close to nixing it. Not worth covid risk. I booked a few studio days to save reservations. At 31 days, I'm likely then canceling our larger DVC unit to avoid holding points and if Covid settles down, just get leftover DVC rooms or offsite.

Last edited:
We canceled our March 2020 trip 2 days before Disney announced the closure. We currently have 2 trips booked November 2020 and March 2021. If it was up to my DH we would cancel both, but I am holding out hope that we will still go on at least one of them. We live in NY so currently can't travel to Florida now anyways. I have APs linked in our accounts that I had ready to go for our March trip - so I was able to make park reservations.

We missed our April 2020 trip and rescheduled to Nov 2020, but with the way the Park Reservation System is setup our 7 day Park Hopper tickets would only let us make reservations for our Nov 2020 trip, but since we have a April 2021 trip planned and booked we couldn't make Park Reservations for that trip. So since our kids already missed so much school already we cancelled our Nov 2020 trip and used the Park Hoppers for the April 2021 trip. Disney has really screwed DVC owners with this Park Reservation System.

We missed our April 2020 trip and rescheduled to Nov 2020, but with the way the Park Reservation System is setup our 7 day Park Hopper tickets would only let us make reservations for our Nov 2020 trip, but since we have a April 2021 trip planned and booked we couldn't make Park Reservations for that trip. So since our kids already missed so much school already we cancelled our Nov 2020 trip and used the Park Hoppers for the April 2021 trip. Disney has really screwed DVC owners with this Park Reservation System.
That is too bad. I could only make 3 days at first and I have an AP and another MYW linked to both of our accounts. But after reading what some other people wrote I tried doing one person at a time and was successful. But I was just lucky enough to already have APs in our account otherwise I wouldn't have been able to reserve so many days.

Has anyone else cancelled or Is considering cancelling for the same reasons?
We had a July trip planned (parks would have reopened the day we left) and pushed it off to Thanksgiving week. It is with my in-laws. We fortunately have AP's and my in laws tickets are good until September 2021. My family is planning on going (family of 5 -2 adults, 3 kids -15,15 and 7) I am leaving it open for my in laws to back out if they want to, but my family will still go. My in-laws are older and more high risk so I am not forcing them to go nor am I telling them they can't.

I would say this is a discussion to have with your son & GF. Maybe have a plan A and plan B - if you can get tickets great - it will all work out. Hopefully you will know this by the end of August. I think the park experience is going to be different but it also might be a once in a life time experience to see the parks practically empty and with maybe lower wait times. The plan B could be for them to still go on the trip but rent a car and explore other attractions in Orlando - sea world, universal are 2 that come to mind. They may still want to get away and do something. Is he planning on proposing there? You don't want to foil that plan!

There is still plenty you can do together - with hitting Disney springs and you can still plan dinners at different resorts. No it won't be the magical experience that you or they had hoped for it will just be a different experience, which I am looking forward to seeing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter