• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Anyone decide to pack it in and cancel trip later this year?

Cancelled our August trip to DL and quite honestly, can’t tell you when we might feel comfortable travelling across the Cda/US border again.

Certainly not going to travel south until there’s a tried and tested Covid vaccine (or at least a solid treatment) ‘and’ we see how many additional ‘crazies’ come out of the woodwork after what happens in November.

Have a feeling we might be selling or gifting our DVC points to our US relatives for the foreseeable future...

These poor CMs are going to need alot of help for the hell they are about to be put through. Please if your going, be extra nice. Any issue is not there fault.
Though, their union is responsible for some things that we know will be problems.

I just officially canceled our November welcome home trip. I'm so sad but I know it's for the best. Rescheduled for May for DD birthday praying things will be better by then.

Welllll - we canceled EVERYTHING, for NOV 2020. Two trips: One for us, one for Eldest son & DIL.

And of course? WDW wants to steal our banked 2019 points. We have already put 'em up for Rent. If you cancel, and have banked points? Be prepared for theft. Find a good DVC point Rental agency.... and please, don't waste points in RCI :(.

Next trip: APR 2021 (booked - DVC contract allows a 30 day cancellation), maybe. Depends on WDW actually existing. Not booking air or anything else, until we see a real vacation.

... Find a good DVC point Rental agency.... and please, don't waste points in RCI :(.

Too late. 80 to RCI. Although very tempting we are not traveling the rest of 2020. Fingers crossed for adults only January & Spring Break to use up our banked points. I will feel much better after using those banked points or I will be in the same situation.

Still keeping our October trip for now.
We lost our April trip, and probably wouldn't have gone even if we could.
I think our October trip is 50/50 at best right now, but we will see what happens.

We cancelled three, no actually four, WDW vacations. Bank most of our points, but had to use the remainder before April 2021 so we reserved a Beach Cottage in Vero Beach for September. Right now it's a wait and watch the Florida COVID numbers and quarantine restrictions. My feeling right now is a Beach Cottage to ourselves (separate from the resort), a request for no housekeeping (which I've read we can now do) and driving down with our own food and just enjoying the beach is relatively safe. Final decision will be in August.
We moved up our decision date and cancelled our September trip. Five cancellations in one year! We decided that we were able to bank some of the points and hopefully rent the rest. Fingers crossed.

I will be canceling our December trip. It's less days than I had planned and no one in the family wants to chance it with the virus. No one except DH and I had tickets anyway. Going to use banked 2019 for HH for just DH and me, most likely, but driving there is almost like driving to WDW...if we don't want to fly. I'm looking at what I could book for Jan/Feb for WDW and it's so tempting to just push Dec to Jan/Feb but I have no illusions that things will be closer to normal than they are now. :(

I will be canceling our December trip. It's less days than I had planned and no one in the family wants to chance it with the virus. No one except DH and I had tickets anyway. Going to use banked 2019 for HH for just DH and me, most likely, but driving there is almost like driving to WDW...if we don't want to fly. I'm looking at what I could book for Jan/Feb for WDW and it's so tempting to just push Dec to Jan/Feb but I have no illusions that things will be closer to normal than they are now. :(
Go for Spring 2021 (maybe safe), or FALL 2021 (higher probability of safe).

Meantime - Point theft? RENT POINTS OUT.

Go for Spring 2021 (maybe safe), or FALL 2021 (higher probability of safe).

Meantime - Point theft? RENT POINTS OUT.
What does "point theft" mean? I saw it on the boards but I don't get it. Are people really purchasing points for rent?

ETA - Anyway, I just canceled my December trip. :sad: Haven't rebooked anything else yet. Just got those pesky 2019 points to try to use by next June and hoping for a large family trip in 2021...

Last edited:
Have reservations for Boardwalk in December for first Xmas trip to WDW in our lifetime. DVC for 17 years. Not sure what to do. Just read on annual pass holders group that Candlelight Processional members were contacted and informed of cancelation. Can anyone corroborate that? If is the case chances of Very Merry going away this year is very real and would cause me to cancel our trip for sure. Hard to justify cost of trip when none of the holiday special extras are going to take place. Not judging either, they are doing what they feel is right and in the best interest of safety. It’s just I want my first Disney Christmas to be with all the bells and pixie dust.

What does "point theft" mean? I saw it on the boards but I don't get it. Are people really purchasing points for rent?

ETA - Anyway, I just canceled my December trip. :sad: Haven't rebooked anything else yet. Just got those pesky 2019 points to try to use by next June and hoping for a large family trip in 2021...
Let me explain... "Point Theft" is likely too strong a term. The contract-sanctioned effect is this:

1) You banked 2019 points into 2020, to add to your point total for 2020 vacations.
2) You, or WDW, cancelled those 2020 vacations.
3) Those banked points are good for 2020, up to the end of your use year. In our case, that would be 147 points that die on March 31, 2021.
4) "DIE" means just that - you loose cash, points gone. In our case? About $1128, based on dues cost.

So what to do? The DVC line is "bank to RCI". But RCI is a notoriously bad use of points.... and you actually have to want to GO to an RCI property. In the middle of a plague :(.

We have chosen to RENT OUT those points ... good to March 31, 2021. And yes, we HATE doing this :(:. But we really don't have any choice :(. Recovering from COVID AND a Major Flood. Waiting for the Murder Hornets, riots, and the latest plague:(.

Given the current situation at WDW? I really wish WDW would offer a paid point clawback. They need the DVC space. We could ALL win.

We cancelled our August trip yesterday. We just don’t feel comfortable going there after hearing the stories of cases and things having to shut down. In addition, the extension of the tri-state quarantine for people heading into FL was just one thing too much for us when combined with the updated ban on non-essential travel for DH and for myself. We were fine quarantining when returning home.

We re-booked to Thanksgiving, which is a trip we had originally cancelled on our own.

Last edited:
Our trip is in December and the more I read and find out the more I'm seriously considering canceling. Just waiting it out for now.

We had to cancel August. We were very sad, but the PA quarantine clinched it. There's no way we can quarantine for 14 days, and the skyrocketing numbers in Florida were starting to make us nervous, despite Disney's obvious caution. This was the trip we booked as a "consolation prize" since we had to cancel a European trip (not that Disney is ever anything but a great choice for us).

Our new "consolation prize" is Cedar Point, since Ohio seems to be in pretty good shape (certainly relative to Florida), and as a plus, it's only an eight hour drive instead of fifteen.

We cancelled everything indefinitely. This is not the disney we're looking for. :darth: I have June 2020 points that I'm trying to decide if I should just rent out now or bank them to 2021 for ourselves. I don't have much hope of things "normalizing" until 2022, if at all. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter