Anyone have Aquatica reports?

Hi guys -

First post!

Most everything has been covered but just wanted to add/clarify a few things:

Coolers - they absolutely do not allow coolers through the turnstiles/into the main park. They can either be left in the car, or there is also a bank of lockers located just outside the turnstile area that may be large enough for a small-ish cooler. They also advertise a picnic-type area near the turnstiles but I honestly did not see one...

Bag search/bringing in bottled water - I wrapped a bottle of water in my beach towel. The bag was searched but they did not 'shake out' my towel, so I was able to bring in bottled water. A word of caution for those thinking of smuggling in small amounts of food...I saw Security/bag patrol throwing out 2 of those small individual serving-sized boxes of Froot Loops (like the kind that you get in a hotel buffet) from someone's bag. I thought this was taking the 'no food' stance a bit far. They seemed to be giving people a choice of taking their food back to the car/putting it in a locker or letting it be tossed out. They weren't being mean about it, just strict in enforcing the 'no food brought in, no matter how small, at all' policy.

Wave pools - water temp was around 79 degrees, water was warm but it was definitely chilly when you got out (outside air temp was around 75 degrees that day). If you're on the beach looking at the pools, the one on the right is the 'calm' one and the one on the left is the 'wilder' one. I definitely second the earlier post that mentioned 'eating water' in the wilder/left side wave pool. Both sides are fun but be prepared for the left side pool to be wilder. Wish I'd tried a life vest in the 'wilder' pool, will try that next time. BTW the lifeguards for the wave pools definitely enforce rules for the little ones (i.e. they have to wear life vests and the younger kids have to stay in the shallower area unless they're with an adult). Good to see.

Roa's Rapids (the faster lazy river w/no inner tubes allowed) - has a stronger current than you'd think. I'd never been in anything like it, so I can't compare it to the Hubba Hubba Highway. Since the current is so strong (and seems to speed up near the exit) this can be hard to exit from, so be prepared for the exit (along the right side wall) or you'll end up going around again even if you didn't want to :) We tried this one without life vests first, then tried it again with the life vests. I consider myself an average swimmer and this river was MUCH more enjoyable with the life vests. Wearing a vest makes it much easier to control where you're going and which direction you're pointing - you really can sit back and enjoy the ride. This one is lots of fun.

Regular lazy river (sorry I forgot its name) - 2 different types of tubes/flotation devices. No charge for them. There are the conventional single tubes (round with one hole and 2 handles) and there are 2-person tubes, kinda shaped like a cruller, with 2 holes side by side and 4 handles. I saw the 2-person tubes being used all kinds of ways: a kid in each side, 2 adults using it, one person lying on top, one person w/head and feet poking out w/body underwater...so lots of ways to have fun. You must either use a tube or wear a life vest, no free floating. From this lazy river you can see a small plexiglass area with various fish as well as an underwater viewing area of the Commerson's dolphins and the clear part of the slide that goes through their exhibit. There is no shortage of tubes, you just wade in and grab the tube of your choice as it goes by.

Life vests - Sizes on the vests run from toddler all the way up to adult XXL (Green). I too am 'Pooh-shaped' (like the earlier post) and was initially worried about finding a vest to fit me. Aquatica has you covered - I had no difficulty finding a vest with room to spare. I saw all shapes and sizes of people in the vests and everyone was able to find one that fit them. The vests are there for your enjoyment, don't be afraid to use them (especially on Roa's Rapids). Just pluck one off the rack, strap it on and off you go.
No charge for the vests and you don't have to return them to the exact rack that you took it from - when you're done using it just take it to the closest life vest rack and hang it up.

Animals - the parrots seem to be a permanent attraction and everyone already knows about the Commerson's Dolphins. On the way out (about 15 mins before the park closed) we saw an employee holding an OWL!! It was way cool! She was standing directly across from the small shallow area where the Commerson's dolphins get fed (right near the area where they ask if you want your photo taken), on the right hand side of the walkway. This was not marked on the map as an animal location so I don't know if this will be a permanent thing or not.

Lounge chairs - Tons of lounge chairs on the beach area, 2 different sizes (lounger and regular type chair), they can be moved around however you please. There are numerous big umbrellas that can provide shade for 4-5 lounge chairs at a time. These umbrellas are permamently in the 'open' position and cannot be closed. The beach area is very large, plenty of room for all and faces the wave pools. The sand is white and soft and remains cool even under the sun's rays. There are also lounge chairs around most of the other slides/kids area/etc but these do not appear to have any shade at all. The sidewalks also remained cool so don't worry about burning the bottoms of your bare feet as you walk from attraction to attraction.

Showers (free-standing in the park for sandy feet) - There are also some free-standing showers where you can wash off your feet (from the sand) but they are kind of hard to spot. They're not on the maps and are distinguished by a wood and rope nautical motif.

Showers (regular strip-down type like you have at home) - Some of the restrooms have a separate shower area (each shower is enclosed with a curtain) if you want to shower and change at the park. This area seemed to get really wet and slippery (as did all of the restroom entrances) so please be careful once you step off the 'wipe-your-feet' carpet and onto the slippery tile floor. FYI the restroom stalls appear to be oversized so changing in a stall is definitely do-able. Unfortunately there's no shelf but throwing your clothes over the door works just fine and keeps everything off the wet floor.

Those small water-tight containers to hold your credit cards, passes etc - The gift shop sells those water-tight canisters in 3 different sizes. They STAY water-tight, keep everything inside dry and also FLOAT. Size 1 is a little larger than a credit card and not much wider, would hold 2-3 credit cards and some cash and that's about it. Size 2 is the next larger one and holds 4-5 credit cards, some cash and also a small set of car keys or a locker key. These 2 containers (sold separately) each are attached to a black rope-type breakaway lanyard. Size 3 is a little different - it's a little larger and is shaped specifically for a pair of eyeglasses or sunglasses; this one comes with a caribiner (sp?) metal-type device that hooks onto a bathing suit strap (not a rope breakaway lanyard). I bought Size 2 and Size 3, total was around $18. The breakaway lanyard was WAY too sensitive and kept popping open while I was still at home, so I used a regular lanyard with a clip on the end and attached the 2 waterproof items using the metal circular rings from old key chains. Worked like a charm.

I think that's it. We only did the wave pools and the lazy/not so lazy river so I can't give any info on the slides. Had lots of fun and can't wait to go back. Any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them :)

HIya,

Does anyone know when the park will be finished and all the animals will be there??
xx

Unfortunately, it seems that the park is finished and all the animals are there, except for maybe some additional Commerson's dolphins. They never advertised any animals other than the dolphins and the single fish tank, and all the water attractions they promoted are open.

I think they created a problem of unmet expectations because they kept telling people to "imagine a water park that only Sea World could create." They set people up to expect more animals even though they never promised any more than what there is, so it's easy to be disappointed in that regard.

Sounds pretty cool! I think we'll have to check it out in September! Thanks for all the great reviews. :thumbsup2

cant wait until next yr when we can come over to visit aquatica ......we have been to wetnwild sea world and we just those these parks
will our 4 yr be able to particpate at aquatica ?

My 4yr old loved it.The kids areas are fun.He really loved the aggressive wave pool and the faster running river.Both kids probably would've gone around in the river all day.

Was even big enough to ride on a couple of the main rides with us.

rich

I'm sure my 12yo will love it, but I'm wondering if my 2yo will have fun or we should just go to BB this time...hmmmm? Decisions, decisions :rotfl:

are the drinks included in the all you can eat at Banana Beach cookout price?

Also do they have diet coke?

Didn't pay enough attention to say for sure,but I don't remember seeing it.
If your interested enough to look for it,I'm pretty sure I saw a pic of the soda bar in one of the posts with pictures.

rich

We're just back from SW/Aquatica. Here's my report on Aquatica: Unlike what others have seen, I DID see the security searchers allowing in food and drink. We went on Wednesday, March 5.

No hard-sided coolers, but the guy in front of me had a soft-sided smaller square cooler with plastic drink bottles in it (they had a baby/stroller as well) and that was allowed in without comment. I saw people with sandwiches and bags of snacks throughout the park all day long. If we had gone back to Aquatica I would've tested the policy with food/drink, but, based on this board, we went without anything. When we went to SW, we brought in all kinds of food/sandwiches/bottles/chips in smaller packages/trail mix bars, etc. No worries at all.

I also never saw the picnic area, though the brochure definitely mentions it. Didn't ask about it, as I saw no point.

We bought the AYCE buffet at the Banana Beach Cookout, and it was worth it for us, because we ate lunch, snacked a couple more times, then loaded up as dinner right before it closed at 5 p.m. The drinks were Pepsi, but I didn't see Pepsi One. There also was a cranberry drink and lemonade and iced tea. No milk. No coffee, which was a bummer as the day was a mite chilly and we're caffeine addicts anyway!

Food was OK. Not awesome, but not bad. BBQ chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, veggie burgers, a chili thing which I think was to make chili dogs. Potato salad and coleslaw, and melon, watermelon and banana pudding with vanilla cookies mixed into the pudding for dessert. No french fries. That was a good thing; my kids would've eaten nothing but fries. As it was, they chowed down on the melon and were happy w/ burgers and dogs and didn't miss the fries.

We carried out smaller things, like slices of watermelon, and drinks, to our sitting areas, and that was great, not having to schlep everyone back to the restaurant umpteen times a day just to get a drink. A wristband was the mark of the all-you-can-eat purchase. My 3YO son almost lost his a few times; it can slide off a little one's wrist a bit too easily.

As for the water park, none of the rides look particularly extreme. I rode the dolphin ride -- what everyone else has said is true: you don't see the dolphins unless they happen to be right there. I was looking hard for them, after reading the reviews here, and I didn't see them. The other thing is that the tube was either foggy or has already started getting some permanent discoloration that made it hard to see clearly to the outer tank. I rode it in midafternoon, so the condensation issue that some have mentioned wouldn't seem to have been the problem.

I also rode Tassie's Twisters with my 6YO daughter on a two-person tube -- this is your basic "toilet bowl" ride and is just like all the rest -- lots of fun.

Whanau Way, a set of four enclosed tubes with some open riding at the end -- was also good, but not extreme. You get a little air on either of the two middle tubes. I didn't get to ride the racers (eight mat slides) or HooRoo Run or Walhalla Wave, two family rides with 3 people per tube.

The Roa's Rapids fast river is excellent -- my 3YO son wore a life jacket and LOVED it. Went around four times and really didn't want to get out. Everyone in the family agreed it was great. We all wore life jackets, which really enables you to relax and have fun navigating the rapids without also having to tread water ...

The big-wave wave pool also was lots of fun -- both 3 and 6YO loved this one (the 3YO in life jacket; 6YO without).

The kids' area is really outstanding. I didn't get to the little toddlers' area, which is completely separate, but Walkabout Waters is really well done. There are at least four kid-size slides for the 3-6YO set (my 6YO daughter liked the biggest ones, but she's really big enough for many of the adult-size ones, as long as she had an adult with her. And my 3YO son loved the smaller slides, which are about Little Tykes-sized in terms of scare factor). The activity area is three stories high, with probably hundreds of water activity items to manipulate.

My only quibble with the kids areas -- and this is not unique to Aquatica, but because this kids area is SO huge, you can really lose sight of your kid unless you follow them up and around the structure -- there are multiple ways out, and it's too easy to lose the kid.

What I would like is to have the entire area enclosed and only have one exit out of the play area. Not the structure itself, but the whole play area. That way you'd be relatively assured of your kid being where you think he/she is.

As it was, my 3YO was playing happily on a slide and with a water cannon, and I literally looked down at my map/brochure (yes, they have them now) for five seconds, and when I looked back up he had vanished. I waded around for a good five minutes, getting progressively more uneasy, until I found him around the back of the play structure, wandering along a wall that leads to the (relatively) deep exit pool for the larger kids' slides. It's deeper than his height, and there's no barrier. And despite what others have said, nobody was enforcing a life jacket rule on little kids, and I knew nothing about any life jacket rule, and my kid can't swim, and I did not expect a deep pool accessible to toddlers at a kids' play area.

So be vigilant. I am vigilant -- I don't go off and sunbathe on a chair or anything, and I still lost him. And use the life jackets, even in the kids' area -- which doesn't warn of deep water!

We rented a small locker for the day to stow my camera when not in use -- it was $8 and we got back a $3 gift card, which we forgot for three days running to use. Sigh.

There were tons of chairs -- lounge and regular beach chairs -- but I once tried to move a beach chair into the water at the kids' play area, and was told I could not. So I guess you can move them around as long as you don't interfere with the lifeguards' workspace.

I saw the cabanas in one area, near the big-wave pool. Can't comment at all on them, other than they seemed out of the way and private compared with the thousands of chairs throughout the park. (That may not be a good thing, if you have kids you want to keep track of -- in that case I get the feeling you'd spend all your time *away* from the cabanas, which would defeat the purpose).

Oh, forgot, I used the promo code (southwest airlines) at the commerce4adventure web site, got two kids' tix at $57 and two adult tix at $67 for both parks, unlimited access for seven days -- no worries on proving the southwest connection, just had to hang on to the printouts every day, and the big annoyance was the $10 daily parking. If we'd gone seven days in a row, it might have made sense for one adult to purchase the annual pass for $150 or so that gives you free parking. (Though I don't think you get two parks for that price)

OK, I think that's it. I have photos and would love to upload them; can someone give me a quick idea of how to do so/size limits, etc?

Thanks to everyone who helped *me* in planning this visit; hope this helps others.

Thanks for you report Kren. I have 2 questions.

1. What was the cost of the all-you-can-eat for adults & kids?

2. What time did the restaurant open?

Thanks!

The cost was $19.95 for adults and I believe $9.95 for kids (sorry, I don't have the details in front of me). It was a total of $67 and change (with tax).

I know the restaurant closed at 5 p.m. It was open for lunch; we didn't look to see whether it was open when we got to the water park in the morning; sorry!

I think yesterday was the first really warm day and here's some additional observations from a first timer

the parking lot seemed close to capacity when looking out from the slide towers....but the place was not too crowded in most areas. I don't believe we stood in a line for over 15 min, most less, there were longer lines at times....we just went someplace else.

the all you can eat is, as already stated, OK ... but there's better food at the other places. If you plan to eat two meals or are feeding a grazing teen horde...the way to go. We took the 'one visit' option. Burgers and dogs - but no fries or chips - beans, lot's of melon, weak desserts otherwise. Potato salad and slaw, but no greens or salad bar. Chicken drumsticks... Pepsi products. (I kept thinking about the buffet scene in Vegas Vacation) Other places had a pretty good looking cheesesteak, wraps, pizza and the standard chicken strips. One place had a cuban sandwich that looked as tho it had been sitting since the soft opening... And hopefully food service in the "not AYCE" will speed up as they gain experience.... 4 one time thru with passholder 10% discount $49.99. Compare that to lunch for 4 at one of the other places.... A chicken basket (adult size) was about $8 plus a drink.... if you teen like mine wanted 3 or 4 hotdogs for lunch...

For those who note similar attractions to the popular Water Country ... be ready for some new rules. This is Florida, the rules are different here...

A couple of rides need...well, let's hope they see how poor the people flow is and find away to do something about it. Lines cross over lines blocking access to attractions and causing confusion. Since these folks already run water parks I'm surprised at some of the significant "what were they thinking" bug-a-boos of design.

While we will certainly return because the slides are good, the fast river fun (but note comment above, it particularly applies here...different 'rules') and the park new and clean I'd offer that the wave pool was a disappointment. While the concept of the dual pool was a good one IMHO implementation is flawed. Rather than twice the wave pool and choose your wave size. You get two half sized pools in the same space. In other words if you've been to a wave pool where you could body surf (Typhoon Lagoon)....that ain't happening at AQ unless it is a very very small crowd.

Last comment: we put 2 adults and 2 teens in a raft at Walhalla Wave and as you know weight equals speed. That was the most intense water ride I'd ever been on :scared1: . All 4 agreed on that!

We'll be back, but I don't think they beat Water Country (Willamsburg VA)with this one.

For those who note similar attractions to the popular Water Country ... be ready for some new rules. This is Florida, the rules are different here...

My apologies, but you lost me after this paragraph. I love Water Country USA, so what are the new rules? How are similar attractions different at Aquatica? I'm sure you tried to explain it, and I'm sorry for having to ask you to repeat yourself, but the paragraphs following that one just leave me confused.

My apologies, but you lost me after this paragraph. I love Water Country USA, so what are the new rules? How are similar attractions different at Aquatica? I'm sure you tried to explain it, and I'm sorry for having to ask you to repeat yourself, but the paragraphs following that one just leave me confused.

With all due respect, I second this . . .:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter