Are any Disney guests average income people?

This Manhattan conversation is ridiculous. PLENTY of people live in NYC who make less than $150k. Ever hear of roommates or multi generational families living together or just people living in TINY studio apartments? Not everyone gets a multi bedroom apartment, even with a family.

My sister and her husband and 2 kids live in a 2br apartment in San Francisco. They only recently (this year) finally went over the $200k threshold in income. They've been living in the same apartment for 9 years now. My niece (9) and nephew (7) have to share a bedroom. Their previous income was right around $150k. Rent control is not a thing in CA. The cost of living in San Francisco, CA is 3.1% higher than in New York, NY.

Honestly? I only felt that way when I stayed at CR and the Cabins, in part because the Ft feels like a bit of a community.

At the value resorts? Not even a little. No one was awful but I despised POP and ASM wasn’t much better. There’s nothing wrong with them, per se, but the experience there is a world away from CR.

We started going to Disney in 2011. We were going to stay at Coronado Springs but a friend told us to stay at the Contemporary so we changed our reservation. We loved it so we have stayed there almost every trip with three exceptions. In 2012 we stayed at Wilderness Lodge and the experience was similar to CR. It was nice but we didn’t like the boat ride. A few years ago we stayed in Beach Club, which I didn’t like at all, but the people still treated us very well. Then we stayed in at Bay Lake Tower once and I loved it. That’s really all that I know of the resorts. We’ve gone somewhere around 25 times since 2011, no less but maybe a few more.

I’m a little shocked that people aren’t treated quite as well at some of the other resorts but I don‘t doubt it for a minute. Unfortunately that seems to be the way of the world. My experience of Disney was just different. That first trip in 2011 was just under $4000 for the room, PH tickets, and deluxe dining for my family of three. I remember thinking “the place can’t be that magical” but I was wrong. We were instantly in love. Then, a few years later Disney sent us a UOC and we booked a club level room at CR. I wouldn’t have done that but it was the same cost as a regular room. Talk about people treating you well, those club level cast members were so nice to us. From that point on we stayed club level every time that it was available. We knew the cast members names and they remembered us from one trip to the next. It felt like home. I really miss that place and I hope it changes back sometime soon. Part of this frustration (or whatever you would call this emotion) is that some of us really miss the place that we loved and recognize that with the new management it may never return.

We started going to Disney in 2011. We were going to stay at Coronado Springs but a friend told us to stay at the Contemporary so we changed our reservation. We loved it so we have stayed there almost every trip with three exceptions. In 2012 we stayed at Wilderness Lodge and the experience was similar to CR. It was nice but we didn’t like the boat ride. A few years ago we stayed in Beach Club, which I didn’t like at all, but the people still treated us very well. Then we stayed in at Bay Lake Tower once and I loved it. That’s really all that I know of the resorts. We’ve gone somewhere around 25 times since 2011, no less but maybe a few more.

I’m a little shocked that people aren’t treated quite as well at some of the other resorts but I don‘t doubt it for a minute. Unfortunately that seems to be the way of the world. My experience of Disney was just different. That first trip in 2011 was just under $4000 for the room, PH tickets, and deluxe dining for my family of three. I remember thinking “the place can’t be that magical” but I was wrong. We were instantly in love. Then, a few years later Disney sent us a UOC and we booked a club level room at CR. I wouldn’t have done that but it was the same cost as a regular room. Talk about people treating you well, those club level cast members were so nice to us. From that point on we stayed club level every time that it was available. We knew the cast members names and they remembered us from one trip to the next. It felt like home. I really miss that place and I hope it changes back sometime soon. Part of this frustration (or whatever you would call this emotion) is that some of us really miss the place that we loved and recognize that with the new management it may never return.

I don't think they treat you any different - the ambiance and amenities are better but I've stayed at all levels and the service was similar across the board. I can see the service being top notch for club level though.

I haven't read through all 19 pages but I'm wondering if anyone mentioned that a lot of people go into debt for Disney. They swipe swipe swipe and then try to figure out how to deal with the bill that comes when they get home.

I haven't read through all 19 pages but I'm wondering if anyone mentioned that a lot of people go into debt for Disney. They swipe swipe swipe and then try to figure out how to deal with the bill that comes when they get home.

I think that could be said about a lot of things -not just Disney. Even though Credit Card Debt was actually reduced during Covid, it's bouncing back to even higher levels than before. Inflation isn't going to help that trend....

This is a societal problem, not just Disney. People chase the bigger house, better car, all the "gadgets" that they feel they need to keep up with the Joneses and just pile on debt. I know people with high incomes still living paycheck to paycheck because they needed wanted the bigger house, new car every three years, bigger TV despite the last one still working fine, and so on. Many of those purchases are financed either directly with revolving debt or indirectly because the higher mortgage and car payment mean they are using credit more than cash.

I have a cousin with two children whose husband was severely injured in a 4 wheeler accident (totally his fault). His hospital bills were astronomical and he's essentially lived on disability since. It's far less than he was paid at his job. Meanwhile, they had purchased a premium motor home- all the upgrades- shortly before the accident. Spoiler alert: they didn't pay cash for it.

So, immediately after he was released from the hospital, with bills coming out their ears, my cousin announces they're all going to Disneyworld for a week. Just (blank) it- we're going. Luxury resort, park hoppers, the works.

Fast forward several years and they're still deeply in debt with no end in sight.

So could she "afford" Disneyworld? I dunno- but she went.

I have a cousin with two children whose husband was severely injured in a 4 wheeler accident (totally his fault). His hospital bills were astronomical and he's essentially lived on disability since. It's far less than he was paid at his job. Meanwhile, they had purchased a premium motor home- all the upgrades- shortly before the accident. Spoiler alert: they didn't pay cash for it.

So, immediately after he was released from the hospital, with bills coming out their ears, my cousin announces they're all going to Disneyworld for a week. Just (blank) it- we're going. Luxury resort, park hoppers, the works.

Fast forward several years and they're still deeply in debt with no end in sight.

So could she "afford" Disneyworld? I dunno- but she went.

A person only CAN'T afford it -IF they pay the bill. I know people that have no intention of paying credit card debt. One day after golf a bunch of us grabbed lunch and we totaled it up and everyone dumped cash on the table ...the guy "with the cards" says he'll pay and take the cash. Which led to the question in my mind ...if he is never going to pay his card anyway -why did we all hand over cash to him. LOL!

A person only CAN'T afford it -IF they pay the bill. I know people that have no intention of paying credit card debt. One day after golf a bunch of us grabbed lunch and we totaled it up and everyone dumped cash on the table ...the guy "with the cards" says he'll pay and take the cash. Which led to the question in my mind ...if he is never going to pay his card anyway -why did we all hand over cash to him. LOL!

How does someone just not pay their credit card debt? Bill collectors would be all over them, cards revoked and credit score in the dump so that they won’t be able to borrow anywhere. Sure some people do this but it’s a good way to screw up your life.

I think most people who overuse/abuse credit find a way to pay enough to keep the ball rolling and actually end up paying more in the end.

Reactions: GAN
I think that could be said about a lot of things -not just Disney. Even though Credit Card Debt was actually reduced during Covid, it's bouncing back to even higher levels than before. Inflation isn't going to help that trend....

I think any measures of "credit card debt" need to be taken with a huge grain of salt. The way that credit bureaus pull reporting data based on statement balances at closing skews the results. Anyone who pays their balances in full by the due dates STILL shows credit usage equal to their statement balances. For example, it APPEARS that we have credit card debt in the several thousands every month, but we don't really. We pay all our card accounts in full by the due date. We don't carry balances over. Yet, our credit reports will calculate our scores based on the balances at statement closing, not the payment due date. The only way to avoid this is to pay the balance in full BEFORE the statement closes, which is dumb, because then you are losing out on any interest your money is making in the bank (tiny as it may be). So, my financial software is always sending me pop up ads for debt consolidation programs and loan offers, but we don't actually HAVE any debt.

Why would you assume he doesn't plan to pay his bill? More likely, HE is winning by racking up the points on his card to redeem for something down the line, while all the suckers who handed him cash are missing out.

We ALWAYS offer to pick up the whole tab at restaurants when everyone else has cash. Win win for us with 3 points per dollar that can be redeemed at a value of 1.5X cash back. We just got a 5% discount on our meal!

How does someone just not pay their credit card debt? Bill collectors would be all over them, cards revoked and credit score in the dump so that they won’t be able to borrow anywhere. Sure some people do this but it’s a good way to screw up your life.

I think most people who overuse/abuse credit find a way to pay enough to keep the ball rolling and actually end up paying more in the end.

Bankruptcy. If you don't have much equity in your home you can file chapter 7 and have a clean slate in 60-90 days. You can get a credit card within days of having your bankruptcy discharged. If you had decent established credit prior to your bankruptcy you can start out with credit limits in the thousands again. Rinse and repeat in 7-8 years.

The only way to avoid this is to pay the balance in full BEFORE the statement closes, which is dumb, because then you are losing out on any interest your money is making in the bank (tiny as it may be).
This is silly.

The average checking account currently pays 0.04%... that's 4-one-hundredths-of-one-percent per year.

.0004 per year = .00000769 per week

Let's pretend you have an average balance of $5,000. Paying your credit cards a week before your statement date costs you about 4 cents in interest.

You're damaging your credit profile to save yourself $24 of interest over the span of 50 years.

This is silly.

The average checking account currently pays 0.04%... that's 4-one-hundredths-of-one-percent per year.

Let's pretend you have an average balance of $5,000. Paying your credit cards a week before your statement date costs you about 4 cents in interest.

You're damaging your credit profile to save yourself $24 of interest over the span of 50 years.
It doesn’t damage your credit profile. It’s actually beneficial

Sure but there are pretty stiff consequences to bankruptcy. Many years of digging out of that hole. OP made it sound like it was a carefree choice to just not pay.
I think the post was "this is how they do it" not "this is how they do it, and it's smart, and you should do it too."

I don't think any of us here are talking about debt or bankruptcy approvingly.

It doesn’t damage your credit profile. It’s actually beneficial
That is not correct. The mathematically ideal balance on each of your credit cards in a given cycle is $1. You want your credit utilization rate to be as close to zero as possible without ACTUALLY being zero.

This is silly.

I keep my cash in a high yield savings account. It was earning like 2% for a long time. It's now 0.5% which isn't much, but I'm not in the habit of paying interest to anyone. I carefully set up our tax withholding every year, doing all kinds of crazy math, to break even at tax time too. I don't lend anyone money for free. I've been getting the "child tax credit" payments since May by simply changing up the numbers on our W4 so the money stopped being withheld once I learned that our 17 year old would now be worth a lot more in 2021.

My credit score is 825. I'm good.

That is not correct. The mathematically ideal balance on each of your credit cards in a given cycle is $1. You want your credit utilization rate to be as close to zero as possible without ACTUALLY being zero.

That’s fine but I know you can have a 800+ score just by paying off your debts (whether 0, $1 or thousands) and not worrying about this level of detail. At that point does it really matter?

No, its not. Your utilization is based on your total available credit. I have 3 cards, each one has a limit in the $30,000s. If my balances were all always $1,that actually shows a higher risk that I will run up tabs I can't pay off. They want to see utilization that is under a certain PERCENTAGE of your total available credit lines. They don't want to see zero or $1. That raises a red flag.

My credit utilization hovers around 10%, which, according to the 3 reporting bureaus, is "excellent."

Reactions: GAN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter