As If We Didn't Already Know It

TheRustyScupper

Everyone Is Responsible For Everyone.
From Orlando Sentinel Article
By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
1:35 p.m. EDT, October 5, 2013

(MyMagic+ was never intended for guest benefit, just Disney's . . . )

One of the central elements underpinning Disney's MyMagic+ project, the billion-dollar vacation-planning system being tested at Walt Disney World, is an unprecedented ability to gather reams of personal data about the tens of millions of people who flock to Disney World theme parks each year.​

MyMagic+ will allow Disney to track where visitors go across the vast resort; how they spend their money; and what and where they like to eat. Disney plans to use that information to devise more sophisticated and personalized sales pitches, in which everything from the message to the price could vary from one prospective customer to the next.​

Disney's ability to profitably harvest that data will go a long way toward determining whether MyMagic+ proves worthy of the enormous capital investment about $1 billion and whether it can be a growth engine for the company's $11 billion-a-year parks-and-resorts business.​

From Orlando Sentinel Article
By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
1:35 p.m. EDT, October 5, 2013

(MyMagic+ was never intended for guest benefit, just Disney's . . . )

One of the central elements underpinning Disney's MyMagic+ project, the billion-dollar vacation-planning system being tested at Walt Disney World, is an unprecedented ability to gather reams of personal data about the tens of millions of people who flock to Disney World theme parks each year.​

MyMagic+ will allow Disney to track where visitors go across the vast resort; how they spend their money; and what and where they like to eat. Disney plans to use that information to devise more sophisticated and personalized sales pitches, in which everything from the message to the price could vary from one prospective customer to the next.​

Disney's ability to profitably harvest that data will go a long way toward determining whether MyMagic+ proves worthy of the enormous capital investment about $1 billion and whether it can be a growth engine for the company's $11 billion-a-year parks-and-resorts business.​
~Is this a crime? Name one company that doesn't do this. But yeah, thanks for sharing. :goodvibes

Unfortunately many businesses do this. I work in a bank, and they track customers' spending habits on their debit cards so they can market more specifically to them.

Unfortunately many businesses do this. I work in a bank, and they track customers' spending habits on their debit cards so they can market more specifically to them.
~Is this a crime? Name one company that doesn't do this. But yeah, thanks for sharing. :goodvibes

1) I fully agree that many companies track usage.
2) But, few track everywhere you go in their business.
3) And, everything you do in their business.
4) Not saying it is wrong, but darn intrusive.

1) I fully agree that many companies track usage. 2) But, few track everywhere you go in their business. 3) And, everything you do in their business. 4) Not saying it is wrong, but darn intrusive.

Yes it is extremely intrusive, but you might be surprised to know how much tracking is done. Many companies use some sort of customer relationship module which contains an enormous amount of information about you and your household. Employees log every encounter with you-what you did, what you discussed, etc. I don't like it, but I don't think Disney is doing anything that many others companies aren't doing as well. They're just taking advantage of technology on a larger scale. It's the way things are these days, whether we like it or not.

~I totally agree and we also give them information by the types of reward cards we choose. :rolleyes1 I'll admit to doing some banking at Chase just to get the cute Disney visa card, debit card, rewards, perks and special offers. Plus, I love having quick access to cash without fees at WDW. Did I mention how cute the cards are? :rotfl:

~Yes, I suppose that is one way of looking at it and I agree. However, I imagine these feelings soon disappear when we receive the special pins, perks and discounts. I totally agree that not much is private anymore. But, I like the idea of getting surprise perks or discount offers that I can actually use. :goodvibes

So from me they'll find out I spend virtually nothing on souveniers & always make a trip to POP Century for a traditional chili cheese dog & some tye dye cheesecake.
On the other hand right now on this dis page there are two ads for products I researched earlier....I find that more intrusive than Disney tracking where I go on their property.

In my case, they'll also find out that I spend almost nothing on souvenirs and if they'd ask I'd tell them why. I doubt that they are particularly care if someone questions quality though.

As for tracking us, I guess that while we are offsite we will be stealthy, at least for a while. ;) Seriously, I'm pretty private which is why I sign up for so little and pay cash often. I intend to continue to be like this.

RFID is not GPS they cannot track your movement through the park, without much more expensive equipment that I'm sure would be to expensive and not worth it. What benefit would there be for them to know where you are in their private park?

RFID is not GPS they cannot track your movement through the park, without much more expensive equipment that I'm sure would be to expensive and not worth it. What benefit would there be for them to know where you are in their private park?

To save on labor by shifting/scheduling and determining how to best get you into their giftshops.
That's the point.

In my case, they'll also find out that I spend almost nothing on souvenirs and if they'd ask I'd tell them why. I doubt that they are particularly care if someone questions quality though.

If they ever do start asking this question...I'll stand in a line to answer.

No fastpass :)

Honestly I don't care if they know where I was all day. I don't mind filling out their surveys and always do if asked so I'm willing to tell there where I was all day. This way I don't have to spend 30 min telling them... They are watching

They could have been before as I used my key to the world card for everything so they knew every time I bought something and they could have tracked my fast passes the same way. I'm actually not sure how much more they really got out of this.

Yep! and having to wear a band all day will feel like wearing a tracking device and like I am on Disney house arrest :lmao:

I was really amused to read the full story in the Sentinel. A huge mash-up of actual info, assumptions and sensationalism. They miss the point that Disney already had the ability to track all your resort stays, purchases, etc. This isn't new.

If you don't want Disney to know where and on what you spend your money, don't use the MB to pay for the purchase. Use a different method of payment.

If I am at epcot, and exiting TT around noon, I would love for someone to walk up to me and hand me a turkey leg and a mango smoothie because they know I am going to probably want one about then.

If I am at epcot, and exiting TT around noon, I would love for someone to walk up to me and hand me a turkey leg and a mango smoothie because they know I am going to probably want one about then.

They'd know when I was low on chocolate, right? That could be a good thing ;)

If you don't want Disney to know where and on what you spend your money, don't use the MB to pay for the purchase. Use a different method of payment.

Like cash.

Even if you use a credit/debit card that's not connected to your MB/KTTW/admission media Disney knows who you are and what you bought. Its part of the transaction information.

They'd know when I was low on chocolate, right? That could be a good thing ;)

Maybe the bands will have a blood sugar monitor built in--- and a hydration sensor--- and my favorite would be a blood/ alcohol level sensor, so they can keep me right where I like to be.

"What will it be today, Sir? .06? .08? Or should we go for the 1.2 again?"

I want Mickey Mouse to call out my name , come running through the crowd, and bring me a beer. Pure magic.

Like cash.

Even if you use a credit/debit card that's not connected to your MB/KTTW/admission media Disney knows who you are and what you bought. Its part of the transaction information.

I totally agree ..........If this is such a problem for people........USE CASH!

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter