As If We Didn't Already Know It

You see ........I don't think is intrusive.......its part of life today..........WE are tracked in many stores just by the GPS in our cell phone...the Cell phone companies track who and what businesses we call and sell that information........other companies use systems like what Disney has to gather piles of information.

How about giving out your SS number?....so many business say they require it when by Federal law your only allowed to give it to the IRS, banks and military.,,yes!...how's that for a surprise!

Doctors offices, credit card office etc, etc, all require it and they sell the information gathered by having it, to other companies.

If as a individual your not happy about it, you better start using CASH for everything!

Frankly I don't care if Disney markets to us by this system, its still our choice to buy or not buy!

Today the only way to stop it is to use CASH!

AKK

AKK

Disney obviously already tracks us. This just makes it easier for them. I mean let's look at a typical day in a resort for us and see if/how they can track it before, and now.

Wake up and get ready. - Only tracking here would be if we used their wifi
Leave the room - already tracked because there's sensors on the doors
Buy breakfast at a resort restaurant - tracked
Ride the monorail or bus - could be tracked now, but isn't now that we know of
Enter the park - tracked already and worse cause they want our finger print
Run to get a fast pass at Toy Story Mania - tracked because they see that from time to enter park to time to get fast pass is 5 minutes
Get Fast Passes - tracked
Purchase food / gifts - tracked
Walk around the park - likely tracked based on spending but also with video surveillance and people using Disney wait time apps
Leave park - not tracked now, but likely will be
Enter hotel room - already likely tracked

So other than the Disney transportation more than likely our day is already tracked while in the park. The magic band just makes it A LOT easier for Disney to get more info out of the info they already have. I know of several stores that use video surveillance to track buyers but it is an expensive and processing power hog. While the RFID won't allow Disney to know if you picked up a shirt (yet), it does save on a lot of processing power because they don't have to track you via video.

And honestly, I WANT Disney to know more about me and how I spend time at the parks. Why? So they can make it better and easier. While earlier people joked about leaving the park and Disney handing them a turkey leg or a beer, this is precisely why this stuff is there. Now for a single person that they track this info for, that isn't going to be cost effective for them to do anything about. But say there are 10 families who all typically leave the park around 4pm and all tend to purchase a turkey leg before leaving. Think Disney wouldn't recognize that and do something with it?

Disney obviously already tracks us. This just makes it easier for them. I mean let's look at a typical day in a resort for us and see if/how they can track it before, and now.

Wake up and get ready. - Only tracking here would be if we used their wifi
Leave the room - already tracked because there's sensors on the doors
Buy breakfast at a resort restaurant - tracked
Ride the monorail or bus - could be tracked now, but isn't now that we know of
Enter the park - tracked already and worse cause they want our finger print
Run to get a fast pass at Toy Story Mania - tracked because they see that from time to enter park to time to get fast pass is 5 minutes
Get Fast Passes - tracked
Purchase food / gifts - tracked
Walk around the park - likely tracked based on spending but also with video surveillance and people using Disney wait time apps
Leave park - not tracked now, but likely will be
Enter hotel room - already likely tracked

So other than the Disney transportation more than likely our day is already tracked while in the park. The magic band just makes it A LOT easier for Disney to get more info out of the info they already have. I know of several stores that use video surveillance to track buyers but it is an expensive and processing power hog. While the RFID won't allow Disney to know if you picked up a shirt (yet), it does save on a lot of processing power because they don't have to track you via video.

And honestly, I WANT Disney to know more about me and how I spend time at the parks. Why? So they can make it better and easier. While earlier people joked about leaving the park and Disney handing them a turkey leg or a beer, this is precisely why this stuff is there. Now for a single person that they track this info for, that isn't going to be cost effective for them to do anything about. But say there are 10 families who all typically leave the park around 4pm and all tend to purchase a turkey leg before leaving. Think Disney wouldn't recognize that and do something with it?

Who was joking? this is what I want!

They can track when we leave the resort room by the sensors on the door? We spend some mornings going in and out in turn for various reasons. I wonder if someone counts. ;)

Maybe the bands will have a blood sugar monitor built in--- and a hydration sensor--- and my favorite would be a blood/ alcohol level sensor, so they can keep me right where I like to be.

"What will it be today, Sir? .06? .08? Or should we go for the 1.2 again?"

I want Mickey Mouse to call out my name , come running through the crowd, and bring me a beer. Pure magic.

:lmao:

RFID is not GPS they cannot track your movement through the park, without much more expensive equipment that I'm sure would be to expensive and not worth it. What benefit would there be for them to know where you are in their private park?

GPS, no, but they can register your presence anywhere they place a scanner close enough. Since MagicBands have an active RFID chip, you need only pass within a few feet of a sensor to be recorded.

They will be able to tell a lot... where you eat and shop, no matter how you pay, and exactly how you travel the park, what attractions you ride, and when you leave.

They will also know when you come and go at your room and where you go and how you spend your time at the resort. (new and improved with gated fences at the pools!)

I trust Disney with the info more than most companies.

I mean, I visited one shoe site a few weeks ago, and ever since, I've been getting shoe-site target ads from Google.

It's basically impossible to not be tracked by someone, somewhere if you use any kind of technology at all. So, this is just another one that I'll live with.

GPS, no, but they can register your presence anywhere they place a scanner close enough. Since MagicBands have an active RFID chip, you need only pass within a few feet of a sensor to be recorded . . .

1) Correct.
2) They can track you movements throughout th park and throughout the day.
3) They can already track
. . . where/when you eat, if you use KTTW
. . . where/when you ride, if you use FP or FP+
. . . when you enter/leave you room
. . . when you enter/leave a specific park
4) Now, they can track you EVERYWHERE you go, and when.
. . . you need to only get within about 30-feet of a sensor for your band
. . . this is the same RFID and receivers that expressways use for tolls
. . . and, they can register vehicles at 45-feet
5) Some think they cannot track you, but why spend $1½ Billion?
6) Minor enhancements on the current system could add a lot of info.
7) The new system adds the total tracking ability of you for
. . . buses
. . . boats
. . . rides
. . . eateries
. . . walks
. . . tours
. . . stores
. . . purchases

5) Some think they cannot track you, but why spend $1½ Billion?

And this is where the truth lies...

What kinda a return would they need for that kinda cash? And how does that pay itself out?

Disney has admitted it's " significant investment" on this project...the question is do we believe the cost? In the past...they have allowed the public to think they are spending more than they are (fantasyland expansion...comes to mind)...but they have also lied the price down (animal kingdom was reported to cost 800 million... More realistic "guesses" were 1.5-2 billion)

So the question is: if it is a billion dollar expense...this is not a "minor" tweak to the "guest experience"...this is a major tool to make money.

And would tracking you/me/us do that?

. . . So the question is: if it is a billion dollar expense...this is not a "minor" tweak to the "guest experience"...this is a major tool to make money . . . And would tracking you/me/us do that?

1) Youbetcha.
2) If they know
. . . you rode Space Mtn 15-times, you get an ad for Space gear
. . . you rode Tower of Terror ten times, you get ads for their merchandise
. . . you stayed in Fantasyland for 10-hrs, you get whimsical ads
. . . you ate at Casey's five times in two days, you get ads for dogs and baseball
3) Another part of the system will monitor CM's.
. . . man CM's wet guests in on passes, but are to remain with them
. . . then, the CM leaves and lets the guests roam
. . . if the guests are not on a MGP, CM's can be terminated for leaving them unattended
. . . the new system can "see" if the CM is still with the guests all day
. . . if not, discipline can result
4) This was never a "minor tweak" on the existing system.
5) If all they wanted was a tweak, then that is a lot cheaper.
6) Remember, everything Disney does is for revenue and profit - guests are secondary.

NOTE: The one thing that a lot of CM's worry is that they will use the RFID's
to predict the number of guests per-park or per-park-area and staff to those
numbers. This was the same basis for the new bus dispatching system - and
we all know how well the buses work now. I know a hostess at CRT who says
how many folks get to the podium crying or whining that they are late due to
late or full buses.

All you both have said is very likely true.................But I repeat......................SO WHAT?

You don't think UNI and other parks and entertainment venues are doing the same thing using various formats?

Lots of other companies are doing the same thing is different formats...............Marketing companies are doing the same thing!

They can follow your movements though the stores and parks anywhere in the country, were there is signal.

The only way to get away from it is to use CASH, and even then your not going to get totally away from it!

Even Twitter now tracks your twits following key words to see what your talking about and selling it to marketers.

There is a rumour running around that the next generation TV's will be able to see what your doing and eating as your watching TV!!!

AKK

So from me they'll find out I spend virtually nothing on souveniers & always make a trip to POP Century for a traditional chili cheese dog & some tye dye cheesecake.
On the other hand right now on this dis page there are two ads for products I researched earlier....I find that more intrusive than Disney tracking where I go on their property.

ITA. Tracking happens every time one logs onto the Internet.

I guess my personal take on all this is that going to WDW is a choice. It's not unlike the choices we make on a more regular basis of where to shop, dine, etc.. If you don't like a particular company's practices or viewpoints, you have the choice to not use them, and go with someone else. Disney's tracking is pure marketing -- they are a business at the root of it all.

Rusty I usually agree with you, but I ask again............................So What?.........What is new here???

1) Youbetcha.

2) If they know
. . . you rode Space Mtn 15-times, you get an ad for Space gear
. . . you rode Tower of Terror ten times, you get ads for their merchandise
. . . you stayed in Fantasyland for 10-hrs, you get whimsical ads
. . . you ate at Casey's five times in two days, you get ads for dogs and baseball

Go buy something at a store, you have a Email ad within a few hours or a day......old news here! You don't think your local marine store doesn't track the things you buy for that lovely sailboat?
3) Another part of the system will monitor CM's.
. . . man CM's wet guests in on passes, but are to remain with them
. . . then, the CM leaves and lets the guests roam
. . . if the guests are not on a MGP, CM's can be terminated for leaving them unattended
. . . the new system can "see" if the CM is still with the guests all day
. . . if not, discipline can result

As I have read this is the rule, the CM stays with the guest.............so what's wrong with Disney enforcing or any other company enforcing the rules ?

4) This was never a "minor tweak" on the existing system.
5) If all they wanted was a tweak, then that is a lot cheaper.
6) Remember, everything Disney does is for revenue and profit - guests are secondary.

NOTE: The one thing that a lot of CM's worry is that they will use the RFID's
to predict the number of guests per-park or per-park-area and staff to those
numbers. This was the same basis for the new bus dispatching system - and
we all know how well the buses work now. I know a hostess at CRT who says
how many folks get to the podium crying or whining that they are late due to
late or full buses.

This is old news as well..my Wife's store put in a computer system to assign shifts and the number of people needed 3 years ago!

BTW....it doesn't work well!

AKK

I think I'm ok with being on Disney house arrest...

:thumbsup2

Sorry guys, I WANT Disney to make money. If it didn't it would cease to exist. I don't want to live in a world with no Disney. They can track me all they want. Throw ads up everywhere geared towards me (I do have the option not to buy). Heck I might even buy something they suggest. As long as they don't set up toilet cams I think I'll be ok!:rotfl:

If you don't want Disney to know where and on what you spend your money, don't use the MB to pay for the purchase. Use a different method of payment.

You just may need to put your magic band in a locker first. If they thought this through the RFiD reader at the register is going to note the presence of a MB along side of any cash or prepaid gift card transactions.

I set up and mine systems like this for a living. Would love to be doing this for Disney (BTW - Universal has posted a job for the same thing). Every company does it, just some are far better at using the data.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter