As If We Didn't Already Know It

How about giving out your SS number?....so many business say they require it when by Federal law your only allowed to give it to the IRS, banks and military.,,yes!...how's that for a surprise!

Doctors offices, credit card office etc, etc, all require it and they sell the information gathered by having it, to other companies.

AKK

obamacare's exchanges even pull an experien credit report. Supposed to be to verify your identity and employer. The IRS knows better than my credit report who i work for (at times my credit report has been YEARS slow to have my right eomployer)- and the IRS is already involved to fine you or give you tax credits.

You just may need to put your magic band in a locker first. If they thought this through the RFiD reader at the register is going to note the presence of a MB along side of any cash or prepaid gift card transactions.

I dont know that it's that precise but could be.

But as above you can just ask for an card without the active side that only allows tap to track.

RFID is not GPS they cannot track your movement through the park, without much more expensive equipment that I'm sure would be to expensive and not worth it. What benefit would there be for them to know where you are in their private park?

as others explained it does work from a distance.

there's a NFC chip in it (just like a cell phone that you can "tap" for payment). and also, according to the FCC filing, a radio for the wifi/bluetooth radio bands. So there's a close 'tap' part and a longer distance "hey is there anyone within 45 feet" part.

Anyone who doesn't want the "hey is there anyone here" part just needs to ask for a keycard that only has the tap part (tap to open room, tap to enter part, tap to pay- which are all things that the old magnet stripe KTTW card did. And as above you could use cash to avoid the track your purchases bit)

:thumbsup2

Sorry guys, I WANT Disney to make money. If it didn't it would cease to exist. I don't want to live in a world with no Disney. They can track me all they want. Throw ads up everywhere geared towards me (I do have the option not to buy). Heck I might even buy something they suggest. As long as they don't set up toilet cams I think I'll be ok!:rotfl:

Lol I agree! And more importantly, what could they possibly market to me that I'm not already involved in?! I own DVC, member of d23, I cruise DCL, use dme, and I'm a former WDWCP, and prob every other acronym they have! Also, I don't find their tracking to be invasive. If they see I went to MK, Epcot, and DTD today, and spent $x.xx.....so what? If they find this information useful, great! I want them to be successful, and keep changing and creating so I have more things to experience year after year!

I want them to be successful, and keep changing and creating so I have more things to experience year after year!

I did all that stuff you rattled off...(along with a wedding and management on the ground)
And yet I don't see your above statement as being anywhere close to the reality...

Publically traded company squeeze you for profits if you blindly buy their products...Econ 001

NOTE: The one thing that a lot of CM's worry is that they will use the RFID's
to predict the number of guests per-park or per-park-area and staff to those
numbers. This was the same basis for the new bus dispatching system - and
we all know how well the buses work now. I know a hostess at CRT who says
how many folks get to the podium crying or whining that they are late due to
late or full buses.

I think you are way overestimating the whole main gate thing... The reality is they don't particularly care as long as three things happen:
A. You work cheap (and you do thanks to the demographics and the spineless policies of the Florida state government)
B. you use said main gate to put more money into the parks... Which you do.
C. you stay the hell away when the REAL paying customers are around... Which is already the
Policy...but now it can be better. What if main gate blackout dates are no longer set? Boy would that be useful to the " Company"?

But real time staff decrease are - my opinion - about 49% of the reason for this whole expensive charade. They can reduce labor and save real dollars...
Fast pass +? You notice how that goes... You book 3 rides in one park over 4-8 hours?
Boy could that be cleverly used to predict crowds and lessen staff? No redundancy.

Full information almost down to the man, woman, and child...they have Minnie say your daughters name in the toilet, in return you allow them to herd you wherever they want to save some minimum wages...

Where the limit? Shutting down half a restaurant to save a few bucks? Already do that... Now even more cash to be squirreled...
How about ride operating hours? Wouldn't do that, right? Wouldn't shorten the operating hours of say...Star Tours if fast pass+ tells them it's only gonna be an average of a 5 minute wait throughout the day. Closing two hours early saves them 10 employees and at Least $100 bucks toward new cufflinks for Staggs...

And the great part is...it's all for YOU! You pre plan your whole week...and being a little OCD as we all are - you stick to it and the trip becomes " smooth and efficient". But 100% predictable.

Genius.

There is a potential good side...does the tracking Info allow quicker changes to things that don't work? We would hope but can't count on it...
Or does saved labor allow for more expansion at less price (so they can make money...but here it's a good thing)?
Maybe... But I have doubts.

Hello there locked out!

Again all of the above statements show nothing more then a company trying to run as effectively as possible.................every company and organization in the world does the same thing.

Not a problem and any econ 101 student would know that.

Making comments shaded to indicate that is a bad thing, shows a lack of reality in thought and logic.

Sorry just my opinion and most people in the business world agree.

AKK

Hello there locked out!

Again all of the above statements show nothing more then a company trying to run as effectively as possible.................every company and organization in the world does the same thing.

Not a problem and any econ 101 student would know that.

Making comments shaded to indicate that is a bad thing, shows a lack of reality in thought and logic.

Sorry just my opinion and most people in the business world agree.

AKK

Ohhhh...I liked your first response much better...would have been fun ;)

Ohhhh...I liked your first response much better...would have been fun ;)

Hey there!

Yes that was over the top and rude, so I deleted it.............When I am wrong...........I am wrong and in this case deleted the post..

Still I stand by asking why only Disney should not be able to run efficiently?

AKK

There is no crime in posting a good article. :thumbsup2

I agree...I and many others just don't agree with the articles lean/tilt that Disney is somehow doing something wrong in this case.

Disney is doing absolutely nothing any other company doesn't do, trying to be efficient in its operation and using information to the best advantage.

ALL other companies do the same thing with the information they have. Not to mention there is many ways the same information the new system Disney may or may not collect (same some of the abilities the system may or may not have is rumor and so far NOT fact) other companies have collected for years in other ways.

AKK

From Orlando Sentinel Article
By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
1:35 p.m. EDT, October 5, 2013

(MyMagic+ was never intended for guest benefit, just Disney's . . . )

One of the central elements underpinning Disney's MyMagic+ project, the billion-dollar vacation-planning system being tested at Walt Disney World, is an unprecedented ability to gather reams of personal data about the tens of millions of people who flock to Disney World theme parks each year.​

MyMagic+ will allow Disney to track where visitors go across the vast resort; how they spend their money; and what and where they like to eat. Disney plans to use that information to devise more sophisticated and personalized sales pitches, in which everything from the message to the price could vary from one prospective customer to the next.​

Disney's ability to profitably harvest that data will go a long way toward determining whether MyMagic+ proves worthy of the enormous capital investment about $1 billion and whether it can be a growth engine for the company's $11 billion-a-year parks-and-resorts business.​

Yup, we all knew it already. Can't really blame them for trying to figure out where best to commit resources and streamline the process. It's just the next generation of RFID that provided information on what FP each guest got, room charge statistics and such. Let's hope the side effect is better service for us.

RFID is not GPS they cannot track your movement through the park, without much more expensive equipment that I'm sure would be to expensive and not worth it. What benefit would there be for them to know where you are in their private park?

It is actually trackable as GPS. One of the security features is that if you have a lost child, they can determine the location of the band to help locate said child. It works the same as GPS. A positive aspect of them knowing where everyone is. Still not sure how I feel about being tracked all day, but it is what it is.

Now I am thinking this might be good for people with little kids that get lost in the park. Kids will love those little charms you can get for the bands.

Yup, we all knew it already. Can't really blame them for trying to figure out where best to commit resources and streamline the process. It's just the next generation of RFID that provided information on what FP each guest got, room charge statistics and such. Let's hope the side effect is better service for us. It is actually trackable as GPS. One of the security features is that if you have a lost child, they can determine the location of the band to help locate said child. It works the same as GPS. A positive aspect of them knowing where everyone is. Still not sure how I feel about being tracked all day, but it is what it is.

The lost child tracking would only work if the child was within the reading zone of one of the active readers. Disney will know where that particular reader and can thus determine that the child is within 20 feet of that reader.

OK. Keep in mind if you do not like this, there is no law that you have to go to Disney. Including if enough people believe it is intrusive then with loss revenue Disney will back off. I do see the concerns and though it will not stop me from going right now, long range my opinion could change.

OK. Keep in mind if you do not like this, there is no law that you have to go to Disney. Including if enough people believe it is intrusive then with loss revenue Disney will back off. I do see the concerns and though it will not stop me from going right now, long range my opinion could change.

well put!:thumbsup2

Part of this debate is simply that this kind of information gathering is nothing new, except Disney is doing it a bit more high tech.

Many if not all major companies, especially marketing, has been gather this kind of information for years. One of the biggest gathers is that wonderful cell phone in your pocket, they can trace you all around the stores or where ever you are. Credit and ATM cards are another major information gatherer. Cameras in public as well.

So I agree, if your not happy don't go to Disney or any major theme park or entertainment venue. Most important of all, turn off your GPS features in your cell phones and cars and USE CASH!

AKK

Maybe they will track how many people think Avatar land is a loser. Build a star wars land. Hope an executive from disney tracks that.

. . . company trying to run as effectively as possible.................every company and organization in the world does the same thing . . .
. . . Still I stand by asking why only Disney should not be able to run efficiently? . . .

1) I have never disagreed with efficiency in operations.
. . . before retirement, I was a CEO or Presidrt of three different companies
. . . when the earth was new, I began my career as an Industrial Engineer
. . . we practiced Lean Manufacturing and looked for efficiencies
2) Every company needs to work to maximize profit.
3) However, Disney has a heritage that used to be unique - and then copied.
4) They wanted to be efficient, but they wanted to be guest-centric. *
5) I think the new system(s) will make the guest experience less.
6) Plus, it makes a guest-have and a guest-have-not.
. . . those on-site can get certain perks
. . . those off-site or day-visitors do not
. . . Walt always wanted people to have the same experience
. . . he wanted people to be treated the same
. . . that is one reason for so many non-tipped jobn positions

* Many years ago, I sent all of my Plant Managers to the "Disney Way"
classes at the old Disney Institute. They learned a lot about employee
and customer satisfaction and how to earn it and maintain it. I still have
the book and accompanying workbook. If one reads the exercises and
then compares them to today's operations, one would not know that WDW
is Disney.

1) I have never disagreed with efficiency in operations.
. . . before retirement, I was a CEO or Presidrt of three different companies
. . . when the earth was new, I began my career as an Industrial Engineer
. . . we practiced Lean Manufacturing and looked for efficiencies
2) Every company needs to work to maximize profit.
3) However, Disney has a heritage that used to be unique - and then copied.
4) They wanted to be efficient, but they wanted to be guest-centric. *
5) I think the new system(s) will make the guest experience less.
6) Plus, it makes a guest-have and a guest-have-not.
. . . those on-site can get certain perks
. . . those off-site or day-visitors do not
. . . Walt always wanted people to have the same experience
. . . he wanted people to be treated the same
. . . that is one reason for so many non-tipped jobn positions

* Many years ago, I sent all of my Plant Managers to the "Disney Way"
classes at the old Disney Institute. They learned a lot about employee
and customer satisfaction and how to earn it and maintain it. I still have
the book and accompanying workbook. If one reads the exercises and
then compares them to today's operations, one would not know that WDW
is Disney.

Rusty we usually agree.....but in this case I am lost.....I ran ships with crews of all education and professional level, ran 2 marine survey firm's and now work independently.

I agree Iger has done a lot of harm to Disney and Walt would be turning over in his grave. As far as point 6 goes, Walt was not alive when WDW was built and DL only had 1 small hotel, so how Walt would approach the massive operation of WDW is not known. Walt treated people and VIP's to different level, with private tours. We still do not know how the final magic + and fast pass systems will be used with on site and off site. Every resort gives resort guests perks.

WDW continues to give off site guests many perks like free transportation within WDW. they can enter WDW watch the fireworks shows form the property, attend resort events like the sing a along campfire at FW, visit and explore all the resorts.

I am hoping that the recent new rumors about attractions and recent up tick in renewing the maintenance and refubs standards are sign that he woke up and has realized that Disney lives and dies by the service and reputation its has.

We have 2 friends that have worked for WDW for 4 years. They started part time and are now full time and happy working their. One of their biggest reasons is that working for WDW is a lot more stable that working for any of the other theme parks companies in the area.

BUT........

What does what you just posted have to do with the magic+ and marketing? and my comments above?

Disney is doing nothing more then what all other companies do use the information they have to maximize results and proved the best service and entertainment and at the same time......yes......maximize profit!. Walt and Roy did the same things............Disney is not forcing anyone to buy anything!

AKK

Just my tuppence, if I go back and have to have one of these then I will book my fast pass+ in advance and as soon as I get in the park these damn things get wrapped in tinfoil! A pox on you tracking strategey! We pay by cash or card for purchases anyway and spend around 25% of our time off site anyway. They tried to introduce these things in the UK Offshore Oil Industry years ago and met with a lot of hostility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter