At least 3 Things ~9/10/08~

Thanks Rebecca- I'm kinda in freak out mode. Between trying to get the house cleaned up for family coming (they may leave at 2 or 3 tomorrow morning), trying not to let DD know about the hurricane until necessary (this is like her WORST fear), trying to decide if we will abandon our old house and go to my Mom's new house.... I tend to go crazy when freaking out- but better safe than sorry.

Thanks Rebecca- I'm kinda in freak out mode. Between trying to get the house cleaned up for family coming (they may leave at 2 or 3 tomorrow morning), trying not to let DD know about the hurricane until necessary (this is like her WORST fear), trying to decide if we will abandon our old house and go to my Mom's new house.... I tend to go crazy when freaking out- but better safe than sorry.

very quietly start packing your photos, memorabilia, heirlooms, scrapbooks, and computer/hard drives. Do you have any empty bins for this stuff? If so stash them right inside the garage door.

Who is your DIS contact?

PO3 is my DIS contact. Great idea- I hadn't thought of the external hard drive- duh. Ok, off to make a list.

The only good thing about a hurricane is you at least get some warning.

I think that for myself, I would head to the new house that would have, hopefully, the stronger building code going for it. If the codes haven't changed much, I would stay at the one on higher ground. :)

Our ground is pretty high, but so is our temporary water table. [there are hugh slabs of slate about 10 feet or so underground. All rain water waits here and then dries out. To get to steady water, you have to break through the layers of slate. So most people have cisterns instead of wells.] So underground flooding has and would occur in our house, but it would go as high as ground level. It is safer in an emergency, just not long term if the water table doesn't drop quickly.

Hoping all you get is a little rain.
:hug:

ashley stay safe. when is supposed to hit you guys? just so i can call and make sure your ok! you know i'll be waiting to hear from you! it might make your dd feel better to be at your mom's. grandmothers tend to have that calming effect on their grandchildren. i know that when ds is not feeling well, he likes to chat with my mom.

Thanks y'all! It is supposed to hit the coast early Saturday. Austin had some good news late last night because it looks like it's turning more north and we may just get crazy wind and rain. That is if it stays on this track. It's not good news for Houston which is where my brother is - as of yesterday he wasn't planning on evacuating. I hope he is rethinking that now. My BIL and SIL (that live exactly where it's supposed to make land fall) left about 30 minutes ago to make their way here. Holly, I will try to give you updates, but if I forget, feel free to call whenever!

The only good thing about a hurricane is you at least get some warning.

which is precisely why I live on the East Coast

Thanks y'all! It is supposed to hit the coast early Saturday. Austin had some good news late last night because it looks like it's turning more north and we may just get crazy wind and rain. That is if it stays on this track. It's not good news for Houston which is where my brother is - as of yesterday he wasn't planning on evacuating. I hope he is rethinking that now. My BIL and SIL (that live exactly where it's supposed to make land fall) left about 30 minutes ago to make their way here. Holly, I will try to give you updates, but if I forget, feel free to call whenever!

Tell the that trouble maker brother of yours I said to get in his truck right now and drive!!!!

I hope your BIL and SIL got all their valuables out.

don't forget insurance stuff, prescriptions, home owners policies,mortgage papers, birth certificates and passports!!

Tell the that trouble maker brother of yours I said to get in his truck right now and drive!!!!

I hope your BIL and SIL got all their valuables out.

don't forget insurance stuff, prescriptions, home owners policies,mortgage papers, birth certificates and passports!!

I just talked to my dad and my brother's wife is going to take the 3 girls and leave, but of course my brother is busy boarding up windows for the restaurant chain he works for- seriously, he's a workaholic. For Hurricane Rita he left literally less than 12 hours before she made land fall. I wanted to strangle him.

My SIL is a control freak (I say that lovingly because I am just like her) so I know she got all the important documents. And of course I am sure that her Expression will be in the car with her- priorities, right??? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter