At what age did you start bringing your kids to the parks?

Absolutely agree that for die-hard Disney fans, at least those of us who frequented the parks before having kids, it’s not about creating memories for your little ones to remember. It’s about creating memories that you will remember.
That being said, I think it’s better to wait until the little one can somewhat communicate. Not full on talking yet, but some words and good understanding of what mommy and daddy are saying. Being able to walk and eat foods that aren’t just purees is a plus too.
For us, we brought DD at 19 months age. We *were* planning to bring DS this year at 15 months age but have now rescheduled due to COVID-19. >.<

First of all, Congrats!

We live in Florida and have been going to Disney my entire life. Made a deliberate decision not to take our son to Disney too young.
First "Disney" trip for my son 3rd b-day in 2019 stayed at Yacht Club, mostly for the pool and proximity to Boardwalk activities and restaurants (adulting). Had a great long weekend. Didn't go to parks that trip.
Sept 2020, stayed at Grand Floridian and went to parks. My son loved it and so did we b/c he is now big enough for most rides and remembers EVERYTHING! For our family, this was the best decision because long brutal days at a park didn't seem appealing to me with small child.
I'm not knocking those who travel with young children at all. my son has inaugurated every Royal Caribbean ship (harmony/symphony) since he was 6 months old (2016) plus Allure & Oasis - love cruising with him.
We did Oasis again Jan 2020 and had Thanksgiving week booked for 2020, on what was supposed to be the newly renovated Allure (we took it back in 2010 for inaugural voyage), but moved to 2021 due to Covid.
Never been on Disney cruise but can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you! I think 3 years old might be the perfect age... my family went with my little sister when she was 3, too, and had the best time. So I'll try to hold out for Christmas 2023 (though I might totally cave to temptation and end up going when she's 1 if covid is over haha).

My oldest was 10 months on her first trip, and really enjoyed it. We went 6 times in the next 3 years, so she has grown up loving it. Man, that’s been the hardest thing about Covid for her. (And us!)
Hopefully covid will be over next year and you guys can go back soon!

I’m newly pregnant (we’re expecting our quarantine baby at the start of 2021) so I’m way jumping the gun on this, but at what age did you start bringing your kids to the park? When do you think they were old enough to get something out of it?
We traveled to Disney when my kids were 5 and 12. However, I would have started when they were babies if we had the means at that time. It took me a long time to save up for our first trip last year and it was every bit as magical as I had hoped. I think they can get something out of it at any age, other than maybe under 3 months (even with the wee little ones the parents get enjoyment out of the experience). I say, if you want to take them, just do it, no matter the age.

I’m newly pregnant (we’re expecting our quarantine baby at the start of 2021) so I’m way jumping the gun on this, but at what age did you start bringing your kids to the park? When do you think they were old enough to get something out of it?
If you are a WDW veteran, and plan to take many more trips there in your life, I would say start taking them as soon as YOU feel you are ready to handle it. I went with my cousin and her 2-year old twin girls. They will probably never remember the trip, but my cousin and I made tons of great memories during that trip!

In regards to when they will be old enough to get something out of it...each kid will really be different. We went with some friends who had a 6-year old boy and he had an absolute blast! He still talks about that trip even 3 years later. He is a very high energy kid and was able to keep up with mom and dad all day without a stroller (actually mom and dad were usually wiped out at the end of the day and he wanted to keep going! LOL!!!).

First trip was when DD was three and my parents came. Awesome trip. FTR, came home and my mom sent me the Magic Kingdom map with circles of every.single.timeout.area DD had been in 😂. Kid is now 23 and we’ve been almost every year since and DD framed that map and has it in her house lol

Our first trip as a family was a week before our little Z turned 3 - So essentially we took a 3 year old for the 2 year old price of FREE ;)
It was amazing. Almost 2 years later and she still talks about little moments that she remembers! But this kid has a memory like none other.

Of course her memories of that first trip will fade as she gets older, but I'll never forget the moment we walked into Magic Kingdom the afternoon of our travel day in the middle of a parade and she literally climbed my husband like a ladder and waved frantically at Mickey & Minnie and then stared in complete awe as they rode past. The hardest part of that first day was not breaking down in tears of joy watching the magic through her little eyes!

We are going again for her 5th birthday, and she's so excited. The first trip was mostly about the characters, but this one will be more about the experiences and rides - which works out well since covid has taken away character meet & greets.

Old enough to remember and communicate that they are on the verge of overheating. I don't want to get into an argument but I never understood the reasoning behind bringing babies to the parks. However someone honestly made the point that their babies loved balloons and bright colors. :-)

Old enough to remember and communicate that they are on the verge of overheating. I don't want to get into an argument but I never understood the reasoning behind bringing babies to the parks. However someone honestly made the point that their babies loved balloons and bright colors. :-)
As parents of four daughters with sixteen years between the oldest and youngest we often had little choice. We did have grandparents along for some of the trips and they were more than happy to stay at the resort with the little one but we still wanted to be with them at some point of the day. My dh is not a huge fan of rides that spin so he would carry the baby in a carrier and I was able to ride with the others. Maybe we lucked out but Disney with a little baby was easy. To this day I still don't care if my kids remember the trip. We are selfish parents, we travel so that we will have the memories. They are only with us for such a short time that I want as many memories as I can make.

Not arguing, but when you have multiple kids babies are taken along, too. When we take a family vacation, the entire family goes on the trip. As the parent I have a responsibility to make sure the baby, along with kids of any age, are safe.

We brought DD at 6. I think 4 1/2 - 5 would have been fine. She doesn’t remember the trip, but she had a great time.

First trip - the oldest was 5 and the younger was 4 months and spent the whole time in a baby carrier. Second trip, younger was 5. They're both girls, and for the first, 5 was the sweet spot for all the princess stuff, and for the 2nd, it was all about Frozen.

18 months for the first, and a few weeks for the second and third kid.
They are really really fun when they are 9+ months. I have a video of Mickey having my one year old crawl to him on the floor and it might be my all time favorite video I’ve ever gotten.
My older two really started remembering things from 2.5+ and thats a good first time to go because they are still “free”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter