Atlanta 10 Miler & 5K DISMeet

Agreed. I was a bit surprised, it’s not worth the traffic for me to drive there. Plus this way I can stay at the condo till 6:30. Am still hoping weather won’t be bad.

Let me know if anyone wants to meet Mallory. If we can make it happen she will love it.
Sign us up.

Arriving Saturday late morning. Probably doing Botanical Gardens Alice's Wonderland. Not sure if it will be before or after hotel check-in. Pick up bib at some point, then dinner at 6.
Sunday: Run, DW not going to be at the finish, checkout is 12, we'll be in a hurry to get back home to our fur babies.

So Saturday afternoon would be best with Sunday post race being a possibility, but probably somewhat hectic.
Not sure how that fits in with your schedule, but toss out some possibilities.

Did a reality check on pace during my 13 mile long run Saturday. I basically raced the first 10 miles. I experimented with difference paces for the first 3 miles, then went blind for the next 7 (not completely blind, still got lap times). My course had 950 foot elevation gain for the full 13 miles. From what I can see, the 10 Miler has 600 foot elevation gain, so my course had more gain per mile, although more rolling rather than big ups and downs. 63 degrees, so similar to what is predicted (60 degrees) for Sunday. Looks like we're not going to get a break in the weather.

I did the 10 in 1:25:18, almost exactly 8:30/mile. It was hard, but not too painful.

Based on that:
8:11/1:22 is not out of the realm of possibility, but would require an all-out effort.
8:30/1:25 is probably the wise choice for me.
9:00/1:30 would make it an enjoyable fun run with the possibility of finishing with a smile.

The smart thing is to start at 8:30 pace and crank it up to 8:11 if I'm having a good day.
The dumb thing (which I'll probably choose) is to start at 8:11 pace and try to hang on.

Would love to meet Mallory. Don’t know what time we’ll be there Saturday, so I’ll post here when I know!

Saturday the only thing we have besides dinner at 6 is a vet appointment at 1. We should be home by 2. We are very close to the botanical gardens so coming over after you visit would be perfect. @Disney at Heart basically anytime after 2 is good. Going to send a pm to you guys with some details.

David we will see how we feel. Sometimes it is more fun to run with someone. Plus my workout yesterday kicked my butt, I did it, but it was hard. Exactly as it was supposed to be.

How does 8:11 compare to your HM pace?

Not sure why my fingers are typing that instead of "I can't hang with that" which is what my brain and legs are saying.

Bummer on the bag drop. That means I won't be hanging out at the finish. I might be up for a cool-down jog back.

We finish where we start (Atlantic station) so we can leave stuff in our cars and get it after to hang out.

There will be a hill at Peachtree Battle (right when we finish running down cardiac), then we will run up Piedmont to the park (so BIG hill miles 5-6) and 12th street coming out of the park (mile 7) and Juniper street right after that is also uphill (mile 8). Its a tough course, but they all are in Atlanta.

I will be racing it too, but not sure what my legs will be able to do. I would love to be close to 8 but we'll see.

@tigger536 and @OldSlowGoofyGuy let's start together and see how it goes. I am concerned the hills will be tough, as you said it is atlanta and you can't avoid them, not even on the beltline, but the east side is not bad. I remember running that area on peachtree battle for a training run, i only did it once. I am well versed on the stuff near the park.

i am looking forward to the race and dinner. Hope the rain holds off.

@tigger536 and @OldSlowGoofyGuy let's start together and see how it goes. I am concerned the hills will be tough, as you said it is atlanta and you can't avoid them, not even on the beltline, but the east side is not bad. I remember running that area on peachtree battle for a training run, i only did it once. I am well versed on the stuff near the park.

i am looking forward to the race and dinner. Hope the rain holds off.
Yeah I'm pretty familiar with all the midtown stuff too, I run there all the time as well. At least there will be some decent downs to go with the ups. See you guys saturday!

I did the 10 in 1:25:18, almost exactly 8:30/mile. It was hard, but not too painful.

Based on that:
8:11/1:22 is not out of the realm of possibility, but would require an all-out effort.
8:30/1:25 is probably the wise choice for me.
9:00/1:30 would make it an enjoyable fun run with the possibility of finishing with a smile.

The smart thing is to start at 8:30 pace and crank it up to 8:11 if I'm having a good day.
The dumb thing (which I'll probably choose) is to start at 8:11 pace and try to hang on.
David we will see how we feel. Sometimes it is more fun to run with someone. Plus my workout yesterday kicked my butt, I did it, but it was hard. Exactly as it was supposed to be.

Here's the GAP (grade adjusted pacing) output for a runner who did the 10 miler in 2018:

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 9.20.03 AM.png

If the goal is an 8:11 min/mile, then the effort is going to feel like a 7:55 min/mile on flat road based on the elevation profile of this course. Keep that in mind when goal setting based on your training paces @garneska because if the course we set your training based off of was flat, then this course is not going to be similar.

Mile 1 - +21 sec
Mile 2 - +7 sec
Mile 3 - even
Mile 4 - +18 sec
Mile 5 - +20 sec
Mile 6 - +16 sec
Mile 7 - +32 sec
Mile 8 - +39 sec
Mile 9 - +10 sec
Mile 10 - +22 sec

The average is a +18 sec. So if the goal is an even split 8:11 min/mile, then that means your goal pace for each mile would be:

Mile 1 - 8:14
Mile 2 - 8:00
Mile 3 - 7:53
Mile 4 - 8:11
Mile 5 - 8:13
Mile 6 - 8:09
Mile 7 - 8:25
Mile 8 - 8:32
Mile 9 - 8:03
Mile 10 - 8:15

That gives you an average 8:11 pace, but takes into account the ebb and flow of the course.

@DopeyBadger thanks for that. Yes this will be a hilly course and i was not considering it. Looks like the back half is the hilliest.

I'd say other than mile 3, there is little to no reprieve from hills. But miles 7 and 8 are the most aggressive GAPs, so you shouldn't be discouraged to see the pace slow down in those. It doesn't mean you're not strong enough, it means you're running on a tougher part of the course.

Parts of Mile 2 and 3 is Cardiac hill in reverse. Its a good mile of almost complete downhill. There is even a timing mat at the start and finish of this mile stretch, because the top 50 males and females on this stretch get a mug.

Mile 5 is a huge uphill leading to where we enter the park (Jeff Galloway's half runs down this) and miles 7-8 are 12th street and Juniper street. 12th street as @garneska pointed out, is a very steep uphill and Juniper is all uphill too. This is part of the course of many Atlanta races, and it sucks.

Mile 5 is a huge uphill leading to where we enter the park (Jeff Galloway's half runs down this) and miles 7-8 are 12th street and Juniper street. 12th street as @garneska pointed out, is a very steep uphill and Juniper is all uphill too. This is part of the course of many Atlanta races, and it sucks.

This is why i tend to do atlanta races once. Like this race i get all excited i should do it then after am like dang Atlanta is too hilly. Same thing happened after the publix half, I was super excited for a local half but the hills sucked. I have not done it since.

Well, all this speedy talk is beyond me😀 So I’m glad I get to meet up with y’all Saturday night!

But my good news is that per my doctor today, I probably have a muscle strain rather than a stress fracture. He is a runner too, so he didn’t tell me not to run, but told me to do stretches, put a heating pad on it, and “don’t up my mileage too much for awhile.”

And then I proceeded to tell him about Atlanta10, Wine and Dine, Atlanta Thanksgiving Half, and Goofy. I told him I had started doing 1:1 intervals and could run slowly. He thinks if I run through the pain, it won’t do damage, so I’m not so nervous about it anymore. I have family history of osteoporosis, so I was probably more concerned than I should have been.

See y’all Saturday!

Well, all this speedy talk is beyond me😀 So I’m glad I get to meet up with y’all Saturday night!

But my good news is that per my doctor today, I probably have a muscle strain rather than a stress fracture. He is a runner too, so he didn’t tell me not to run, but told me to do stretches, put a heating pad on it, and “don’t up my mileage too much for awhile.”

And then I proceeded to tell him about Atlanta10, Wine and Dine, Atlanta Thanksgiving Half, and Goofy. I told him I had started doing 1:1 intervals and could run slowly. He thinks if I run through the pain, it won’t do damage, so I’m not so nervous about it anymore. I have family history of osteoporosis, so I was probably more concerned than I should have been.

See y’all Saturday!

Glad you are on the mend and its not more serious. See you Saturday night.

I'm still trying to do the smart thing (it rarely happens) and shoot for 8:20-8:30.

Last week of training is going well:
Run too hard on Saturday as a race simulation: Check
Tweak my back doing some heavy lifting: Check
Burger for dinner instead of my usual pre-race diet: Check

I'm ready!

I probably have a muscle strain rather than a stress fracture.

Yay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter