August 2017 Disneyland Check-In & Chat!

From my understanding, it won't impact us this summer (for our August 2017 trips). Hopefully that's the case! (Though I haven't read too much on it lately). We're staying at Park Vue.. and last spring, my daughter and I stayed at Tropicana. I'm really going to miss these close hotel options once the pedestrian bridge goes in.. let's hope there will be an access point from Harbour!
Yes, I'd hate to lose that easy access from all those hotels!!

Tentatively 21 to 31 Aug for DH, me and our 2 Disney fanatics (4, 2) heading to DLR - bless those 10-day passes for Aussies! G'day, all - hoping for a smooth first visit to 'Mickeyland', as DD1 calls it. She has been asking to visit EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. for the last 2 years whether we could visit 'Mickeyland'. Hopefully, in August, her dream comes true (with her birthday there in the bargain!)

We are waiting for the end of the month to start booking stuff (after the financial obstacles clear). Looking forward to it!

We're at Desert Inn & Suites and so I've been watching the pedestrian thread...I can't picture the area and I could be wrong, but it sounds like they won't remove the Harbor entrance right away, but we may have to deal with construction noise. Doesn't bother us since we're not day nappers (assuming they don't start construction at 5am or working late into the night). Not sure if some of the restaurants will be gone by then?

Hello Everyone...we are going to Disneyland for the first time from August 19-24. We have visited WDW so Land will be new to us. It will be different wearing a 1st visit button! My kids don't know. They think we are going in 2019 so they will be in shock when they find out we are going 2 years earlier! We are staying at Paradise Pier Hotel.

From my understanding, it won't impact us this summer (for our August 2017 trips). Hopefully that's the case! (Though I haven't read too much on it lately). We're staying at Park Vue.. and last spring, my daughter and I stayed at Tropicana. I'm really going to miss these close hotel options once the pedestrian bridge goes in.. let's hope there will be an access point from Harbour!

I agree with this - I think it isn't supposed to start until late 2017, early 2018 at the best. At leas that's what I got out of what I was reading. I'm hoping that's the case because we'll be at Camelot Inn. But I mean, last time I went to Disneyland we were literally the room next to the construction of Panera and it never bothered us because of the amount of time we were in the room, so I'm hopeful that's the case again if they are able to begin construction as early as August.

Also hoping that there's still a street-access entry point. Some places say the entrance across from HoJo won't be closed, others say it definitely will be. I'm hoping the former is true.

Add me! Our dates are a bit tentative at this point, but most likely close to August 12-18. We normally only do DL every other year ... we just went last year but DH has a convention at the DLH this year so we're all going! Staying at the DLH at least 4 nights but may do another hotel two nights to save $$. Whoever asked about late August and weekends -- seems like hours were shorter when we've been in late August but crowds are lower so it makes up for it a bit. As for weekends -- Saturdays are very busy but Sundays are not.

Just starting to plan, but right now WOC Dessert Party and Blue Bayou lunch are our must-dos.

Add me! Our dates are a bit tentative at this point, but most likely close to August 12-18

Got you! Let me know if your dates end up changing! :)

Our must do right now for a meal is Cafe Orleans and possibly the Jazz Brunch in DTD (my friend and I both love brunch, and since the third party doesn't like breakfast food we figure it'd be a nice compromise for us all!)

Ok...is anyone else experiencing really high flight prices for august? Within the last year I have flown round trip PDX to LGB for 122, 130, and 160...right now the flights are 280 per person!! I'm hoping this will change after spring breaks have ended?! I can't afford double the price!

That's about what we've always paid (just under $300 from SEA). I'd love to get something in the $150 range!!

Got you! Let me know if your dates end up changing! :)

Our must do right now for a meal is Cafe Orleans and possibly the Jazz Brunch in DTD (my friend and I both love brunch, and since the third party doesn't like breakfast food we figure it'd be a nice compromise for us all!)

So Cafe Orleans is a good one? Trying to figure out one or two table service places. I've looked at that one plus Carnation Cafe menu looks ok. Also maybe looking at one character meal which would be Goofy's Kitchen since it seems to be the only dinner one. It's quite pricey though.

Ok...is anyone else experiencing really high flight prices for august? Within the last year I have flown round trip PDX to LGB for 122, 130, and 160...right now the flights are 280 per person!! I'm hoping this will change after spring breaks have ended?! I can't afford double the price!

Obviously it depends where you are coming from but flights were ridiculous when I started looking way back with direct at $700+ from Toronto! Crazy! Then one day they dropped to in the 400s so we booked then. So $280 a person sounds good to me..lol (but of course it's compared to what it usually is for your departure airport).

PS - Are some of you going before August or is my ticker off. I see both BriannaRuth and coloredimage have 4 months + xxx.

Last edited:
So Cafe Orleans is a good one? Trying to figure out one or two table service places. I've looked at that one plus Carnation Cafe menu looks ok. Also maybe looking at one character meal which would be Goofy's Kitchen since it seems to be the only dinner one. It's quite pricey though.

We like Cafe Orleans more than Carnation Cafe, but we really like the Parmesian fries and the monte cristo so that's more why we go. I'm trying to plan a "birthday" dinner for my two friends who I'm going with as part of their birthday present so I'm trying to figure out where else we want to go.

PS - Are some of you going before August or is my ticker off. I see both BriannaRuth and coloredimage have 4 months + xxx.

We're going earlier in the month :) so, our tickers are showing that :) I'm at 140-something days out

We're flying from Canada (Vancouver Island) and I booked our flights at the end of January when they dipped down to $270, which is a pretty awesome price for us (though it's not direct, we fly east to Calgary (lol) and then LA, flying into LAX). Usually a decent price for a flight from here to LA would be around $350 (give or take).

My daughter and I ate at Cafe Orleans last year and loved it (mmmmm pomme frites!). Trying to decide if we go back there this time or maybe try something else. I figure we'll be doing counter service mostly.. just easier with little kids!

My ticker is off. It's from my last trip and I haven't had time to figure out how to change it yet! But thanks for the reminder!

We're going earlier in the month :) so, our tickers are showing that :) I'm at 140-something days out

My ticker is off. It's from my last trip and I haven't had time to figure out how to change it yet! But thanks for the reminder!

Lol...thanks for explaining. I got excited and thought I was a month off in my countdown. :tongue:

coloredimage, how cool! You are doing two trip then?

Is anyone doing the World of Color dessert party. It's $79 per person so with 3 of us it's about $240. I did the Wishes Dessert Party at WDW and it was okay, but I don't plan on doing it again. Is WOC dessert party worth or should I get a FP for it?

Is anyone doing the World of Color dessert party. It's $79 per person so with 3 of us it's about $240. I did the Wishes Dessert Party at WDW and it was okay, but I don't plan on doing it again. Is WOC dessert party worth or should I get a FP for it?
I don't think we will do the WOC dessert party as it's so expensive, and there are 5 of us. We've also seen WOC a few times, so it wouldn't be worth the price. What I am curious about is when Fantasmic will be back, and what type of seating/dinner options they might have. If it does come back in later summer, but in time for our trip, I am thinking that it will draw some big crowds, since it's been dark for so long. That is something I'm more likely to consider, although I've never paid for seating for a show before! I don't know, I guess I'm pretty frugal, but I have a hard time paying for some of the "extras". Disney vacations can really start to add up, and some of those decisions can be hard to make...what to choose to spend on without breaking the bank!!

I don't think we will do the WOC dessert party as it's so expensive, and there are 5 of us. We've also seen WOC a few times, so it wouldn't be worth the price. What I am curious about is when Fantasmic will be back, and what type of seating/dinner options they might have. If it does come back in later summer, but in time for our trip, I am thinking that it will draw some big crowds, since it's been dark for so long. That is something I'm more likely to consider, although I've never paid for seating for a show before! I don't know, I guess I'm pretty frugal, but I have a hard time paying for some of the "extras". Disney vacations can really start to add up, and some of those decisions can be hard to make...what to choose to spend on without breaking the bank!!

I'm with you in the WOC dessert party. We're 4 but it does add up. Especially if we are already paying for a character dinner (current plans).

How is Fantastic 'regular' seating? We saw it at WDW via dinner package and it was great so would definitely see it again if its back by August. We got seats directly infront and back a bit, but I will say that even the standard seating looked totally fine. There didn't really seem to be a bad seat for Fantasmic.

I'm with you in the WOC dessert party. We're 4 but it does add up. Especially if we are already paying for a character dinner (current plans).

How is Fantastic 'regular' seating? We saw it at WDW via dinner package and it was great so would definitely see it again if its back by August. We got seats directly infront and back a bit, but I will say that even the standard seating looked totally fine. There didn't really seem to be a bad seat for Fantasmic.
It used to be that people camped out on the cement by the Rivers of America to watch Fantasmic, no need for a FP, although there was a small section with chairs for people who bought a dessert option. Other than those few chairs it was sitting on cement, or standing behind people sitting on the cement. No real "seating". People would camp out for quite some time to get a good spot. Then they started a new system where you had to get a FP, either you pulled a regular (disconnected) FP, or you had a dinner option, where your FP gave you a better (by this I mean seated on the ground at the front) spot. If I remember correctly, if you didn't have a dinner option FP then you would be standing the whole show. I only saw Fantasmic this way once, in 2015. We used the regular FP and stood on our poor, tired feet the whole show. I was really disappointed they started the whole FP thing, because now the only way to sit is to spend more money!! I'm sure when the show starts up again it will still have FP, with a special seating option, which is the ground! But I'm thinking it might be worth it. :) At least my feet would think so!

I will say that Fantasmic is my very favorite show, and DL really does an amazing job with it. I haven't seen the one at WDW, but I've heard this version is better. I would really make the effort to see it...it is just that good!! I'm crossing my fingers it's running in August.

Thanks for explaining. That's much different that WDW where they had seats for everyone...and tons of them (but I guess you could be more off to the side). Personally for someone with bad knees and back, sitting on the ground isn't a great option either. Either way, we'll definitely catch it one way or another if it's here on our dates. It's supposed to be back summer right? So that would be likely for August, unless delays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter