August 2017 Disneyland Check-In & Chat!

Hi! We will be there August 11-16 then heading to SF to visit friends for 4 days. Staying at the PPH. Traveling with DH, DD16, DS12. Might squeeze in a day at Universal.

Thanks for creating this thread!

Well its official, MSEP is staying through August 20th.

I was hoping for PTN to be back by then. I also am scared for what it will do to the crowd level as that is the week I was hoping to go.

I hope this brings someone in this check in a bit of magical happiness!

I was hoping for PTN to be back by then. I also am scared for what it will do to the crowd level as that is the week I was hoping to go.

I was also hoping PTN would be back for summer, and when we're there in August. I'm not a huge parade person, but absolutely enjoyed PTN when we saw it last April. With the electrical parade ending on August 20.. I'm thinking that there might not even be a parade for when we're there (last week in August)... but I'm not sure. What are the chances they have another parade up and running by August 27..??! I hope that at least Fantasmic is back for our trip, as we've never seen it!

I was also hoping PTN would be back for summer, and when we're there in August. I'm not a huge parade person, but absolutely enjoyed PTN when we saw it last April. With the electrical parade ending on August 20.. I'm thinking that there might not even be a parade for when we're there (last week in August)... but I'm not sure. What are the chances they have another parade up and running by August 27..??! I hope that at least Fantasmic is back for our trip, as we've never seen it!

Questioning the exact same thing as we'll be at the parks Aug 29 - Sept 1. So does that mean a few weeks with one less show? Hope not as we look forward to the night time events as well as the parks in the day.
P.S. - I've heard the name Paint The Night but what kind of show is it if not a parade? Is it fireworks? Light show?

In other threads, Ive seen speculation that it probably wouldn't be back until Christmas time. Last Halloween they came out with a brand new nighttime Halloween parade for MHP. I highly doubt they would shelf that after one year. PTN ran selectively during the christmas season, so it would make sense. I'm sorry, but you might be without a night time parade. BUT Fantasmic will probably be back, and that is a great show!

Questioning the exact same thing as we'll be at the parks Aug 29 - Sept 1. So does that mean a few weeks with one less show? Hope not as we look forward to the night time events as well as the parks in the day.
P.S. - I've heard the name Paint The Night but what kind of show is it if not a parade? Is it fireworks? Light show?

PTN is a parade. Youtube a video of it, its amaaaaazing! I listen to the soundtrack regularly. I even booked a last minute trip august 2016 just so I could see it (and forever fireworks) before it ended with the 60th.

Frozen2014 - yep, it is a parade and it's amazing! My 8 year old daughter was mesmerized by it last year and I was really hoping it would be running this summer for my son to see. I also LOVED it.. and I'm usually pretty neutral when it comes to parades (would rather be riding the rides! ;)).

Gsrieff - that's my feeling now as well.. there won't be a parade, but Fantasmic will be back. I'd be okay with that.. since we've never seen F! Fingers crossed! I'm really curious when they will announce the official re-opening of the railroad, rivers, F!, etc.

We're going to DL in August!!! This was going to be a non Disney year. We are heading to Santa Barbara and Seqoia national park and I got the go ahead to add a short stay at DL!! I'm so excited. Deciding if I should tell the kids or just surprise them. Nothing booked yet. Tentatively 8/2-8/4.

Thank you both for explaining PTN. Sounds like a big shame then that it (most likely) won't be showing when we are there.

Good that MSEP has been extended for those that can catch it in the summer (booh that we'll miss it). Saw it at WDW and it's quite good (but too bad if negative impact on PTN returning). Strange though that they selected the 20th of the month to end it and not the very end. Wonder why?

So for evening shows...we'll still have WOC, right? What about fireworks? Are those every night?

Hi! We will be there August 11-16 then heading to SF to visit friends for 4 days. Staying at the PPH. Traveling with DH, DD16, DS12. Might squeeze in a day at Universal.

Thanks for creating this thread!

Welcome! I'll add your dates up on the current list! :)

I hope this brings someone in this check in a bit of magical happiness!

I was so bummed when I saw that. My friend with whom I'm traveling was super upset - MSEP is the only Disney parade she's ever seen and she was hoping for something else. I'm also just super bitter because MSEP has been the bane of my existence throughout its duration in WDW as I always somehow get stuck because of the crowds for it. It also replaced Spectromagic, my favorite Disney parade.

We're going to DL in August!!! This was going to be a non Disney year. We are heading to Santa Barbara and Seqoia national park and I got the go ahead to add a short stay at DL!! I'm so excited. Deciding if I should tell the kids or just surprise them. Nothing booked yet. Tentatively 8/2-8/4.

Hi! I'll add your dates up!

Thank you both for explaining PTN. Sounds like a big shame then that it (most likely) won't be showing when we are there.

Good that MSEP has been extended for those that can catch it in the summer (booh that we'll miss it). Saw it at WDW and it's quite good (but too bad if negative impact on PTN returning). Strange though that they selected the 20th of the month to end it and not the very end. Wonder why?

So for evening shows...we'll still have WOC, right? What about fireworks? Are those every night?

I believe the 20th is when summer hours will end, or i suspect it will be. There will be Fantasmic, World of Color, and fireworks at DL (I believe it's Remember?) They should be every night during the summer season, unless there's a wind advisory.

I believe the 20th is when summer hours will end, or i suspect it will be. There will be Fantasmic, World of Color, and fireworks at DL (I believe it's Remember?) They should be every night during the summer season, unless there's a wind advisory.

It's so crazy that Disneyland's schedule of events and hours are so hard to pin down! I don't know for sure what fireworks they will have this summer, but it used to be spring was Remember Dreams Come True, and summer was Magical (which sadly is not as good IMHO). Of course for the last couple of years it was Disneyland Forever for the 60th, so it will be interesting to see if they go back to their old schedule this year.

I'm editing to add there were also Fantasy in the Sky fireworks, I think those were directly after the 60th. If I remember what I read correctly, it was a shorter fireworks show. I never saw that one.

I was hoping for PTN, rather than MSEP, which I like for the nostalgic factor, but it's not PTN. But as long as Fantasmic is back, I will be a happy camper. :)

Last edited:
It's so crazy that Disneyland's schedule of events and hours are so hard to pin down! I don't know for sure what fireworks they will have this summer, but it used to be spring was Remember Dreams Come True, and summer was Magical (which sadly is not as good IMHO). Of course for the last couple of years it was Disneyland Forever for the 60th, so it will be interesting to see if they go back to their old schedule this year.

I'm editing to add there were also Fantasy in the Sky fireworks, I think those were directly after the 60th. If I remember what I read correctly, it was a shorter fireworks show. I never saw that one.

I was hoping for PTN, rather than MSEP, which I like for the nostalgic factor, but it's not PTN. But as long as Fantasmic is back, I will be a happy camper. :)

Ah, yeah. Last time I was there it was Disneyland Forever so I can't remember anymore! lol

We are planning to be in Southern California from Aug 11 to 27, staying at the Grand Californian from Aug 20 to 27. We've also booked the Candy Cane Inn for a few nights beforehand, and are still making plans for the very beginning of our trip. It's our very first visit to Disneyland and we could not be more excited!!! Any tips and suggestions for "must-do"s would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

We are planning to be in Southern California from Aug 11 to 27, staying at the Grand Californian from Aug 20 to 27. We've also booked the Candy Cane Inn for a few nights beforehand, and are still making plans for the very beginning of our trip. It's our very first visit to Disneyland and we could not be more excited!!! Any tips and suggestions for "must-do"s would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Wow, sounds like fun! Do you have 5 day park hoppers?

Personally my must-dos are Blue Bayou for lunch, WOC Dessert Party, and afternoon breaks at the hotel, especially if you have kids as it looks like you do. If you're a foodie, then Chef's Counter at the Napa Rose one night if your kids are 5 or older so they can go to Pinocchio's Workshop at the GCH.

It looks like you have an extra night or two at the GCH so you have non-park days there as well as before? What were you planning for those days? If you think your kids might like water slides, you could take a day at the DLH pool and downtown Disney.

Personally my must-dos are Blue Bayou for lunch, WOC Dessert Party, and afternoon breaks at the hotel, especially if you have kids as it looks like you do. If you're a foodie, then Chef's Counter at the Napa Rose one night if your kids are 5 or older so they can go to Pinocchio's Workshop at the GCH.

It looks like you have an extra night or two at the GCH so you have non-park days there as well as before? What were you planning for those days? If you think your kids might like water slides, you could take a day at the DLH pool and downtown Disney.

Thanks for these awesome suggestions, BriannaRuth! I didn't realize we were allowed to pool hop over to the other Disney hotels! I love this idea!

If you're a foodie, then Chef's Counter at the Napa Rose one night if your kids are 5 or older so they can go to Pinocchio's Workshop at the GCH.

I read in another thread awhile back the pinocchio's workshop closed in march with no reopen date given. Hopefully after the GCH rehabs are done, it will reopen. The rehabs are through this fall, I think.

Wow, I didn't know that! But I don't have kids that age so not really watching that anymore.

Jump4Joy, just to be clear -- guests of the GCH can pool hop to the DLH. Guests of non-Disney hotels cannot. So if you want to do the DLH pool, you'll have to do it on a GCH day. If you have the $$, a half-day cabana rental at the DLH is also nice. Last time I checked it was about $250. The DLH pool gets pretty busy in the afternoons, so if that's an issue for you, go in the morning if you can (or rent a cabana, or both!).

Hey everyone! Mind if I jump on board? Our family will be in Anaheim for the 1st time August 9th - 18th. We have 5 day hoppers and a lot of things planned throughout Santa Monica, LA, and Hollywood. Using Anaheim as a base and renting a car is better economically.

We are staying at Camelot Inn & Suites on Harbor (Already booked). Got a great rate for American Airlines for a straight through flight from Philly.

The non-Disney things we have planned are: Whale/Dolphin/Seal Watch Cruise (Got a great deal on Groupon), Santa Monica Pier , Santa Monica Pier Aquarium, LA Zoo, Griffith Observatory, LaBrea Tarpits, Warner Brothers Studio Tour (Got a $5 off Coupon through Retail Me Not) and Universal Hollywood (My husband is an AARP members so we got tix for $20 off gate price!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter