August 2019 Car Rental Thread

Question: Is it still the case that Alamo at MCO has just one aisle for standard and full? (That's been the case for the 8 or so years I've been going. I.e., if you book standard you choose from the full aisle, as there isn't a standard aisle.) TIA.

Alamo went down for me a bit today, using Disney AP 860292 and AD2824JAR $25 coupon. Was cheaper than all of these: Costco code, American Express, Visa.
Get this: was cheaper to drop off at 4:30pm or 5pm than 4pm. (I'm picking up at 9:30am). Weird - usually a partial day is the same $ after about an hour.

Last edited:
I'm new to this specific strategy, but is there a reason to booking directly with the car rental company using Costco codes rather than booking through Costco itself? Or are you guys using the code on Costco's website? (In which case, I cannot find where I'd enter the code.)

Ravenne, I go back and forth with the Costco website and the Alamo website. The only downside I see with the Costco one is, I have to enter the number to see it on the Alamo website. Other than that, easy to cancel, and in January, I got a Costco gift card for booking on their website, and luckily, same rental cost on the Alamo website, so booked with Costco. The main thing I also can't seem to do, is enter a coupon code on Costco's website either. Which I can do on Alamo's. Oh, and you enter Costco's ID number in the Contractor ID box right under the Coupon Code box. At least that is where I see it when I go to the Alamo website.

And Amanda999, be careful. That coupon code is a South American one, and there is a thread in this Forum, that some one posted that code was not recognized by Alamo, and they had a big issue when trying to check out the rental car. I had used that code too, on a reservation, and could not cancel it on the website, nor view it in my account anymore. I quickly called Alamo, and cancelled it. I was not chancing it.

So far, best rate I found was today, a dollar cheaper than the other day, with Costco code, and Visa's 25 dollar coupon code. Funny, that the Midsize SUV was 90 or so cents cheaper than my midsize car reservation.

AD2824JAR is a Kid Stuff Member (ESL) discount code and it expires 12/31/2019

Oh then another JAR code was not working. Do you have to be a member of that Kid Stuff? Either way, the visa code is also $25 so I rather keep that as I am paying with a Visa card.

Thank you, Lynne!

I just got this from Groupon if it helps anyone:

AVIS: Up To 25% Off + Extra $25 Off - A433300

Thanks Lynne and Keacc for the head's up re: coupon codes.

Wanted my August car rental at MCO peeps to know about this: a free pilot program for FL tolls. If your trip ends on/before August 31, 2019, you can reserve a placard (p/up and return it near rental car desks at MCO) to hang in your rearview mirror rental car, to speed through the tolls. No fees! $10 if you forget to return the placard. Works on all FL E-pass, SunPass, LeeWay. Charges go to your credit card you link when you sign up for the placard.

Wanted my August car rental at MCO peeps to know about this: a free pilot program for FL tolls. If your trip ends on/before August 31, 2019, you can reserve a placard (p/up and return it near rental car desks at MCO) to hang in your rearview mirror rental car, to speed through the tolls. No fees! $10 if you forget to return the placard. Works on all FL E-pass, SunPass, LeeWay. Charges go to your credit card you link when you sign up for the placard.
Thank you for posting about the toll tag. Originally the program was suppose to end before my August trip.

Yes! I was so happy to see that they extended it!

So glad I stumbled across this thread. I was reading your posts about Costco and decided to check it out. I Was able to get a compact car for 5 days at the Orlando car care center in DW for $250. I was tallying my cost for using Uber and it was going to be $260 not including tips. And, I now do not have to use a food delivery service and can just stop at Publix. Thank you to those of you who posted about Costco! :)

Anyone ever booked with Advantage in MCO? How is the service/their vehicles?

Prefer Alamo - Have a full size booked 8/5-8/11 for $209 via AutoSlash/Priceline, but I would prefer a minivan.

Lowest onsite minivan I have found is with Advantage @ $257. I have that booked too.

We are arriving at close to 1am on the 5th. Hoping their will be a minivan waiting for me in the full size aisle of Alamo and can skip the counter!! *fingers crossed*

I pickup on August 30th and the rates are just stuck. The prices goes up and then where it was to begin with. I’m stuck at $304 full size Alamo 11 days. Still hoping for a drop. Got 5 weeks left to stalk. Using passholder code and $25 coupon.

Last edited:
For some reason it's MORE expensive with the Costco and the $25 coupon on Alamo's site than just going through Costco. $276 8/15-8/24 full size

We're in Tampa 8/17-8/24 and prices are tolerable at Alamo. Minivan $358 or Standard SUV $291 with $25 Visa or $25 Kidstuff code. My original minivan prices were $550-610, so much better!

FWIW, I like AutoSlash prices but after using them in April (NE spring break) I am hesitant since the best prices are through Priceline. Could not add member ID to AutoSlash/Priceline reservation, so could not skip counter. I had to wait in long line inside the terminal. I love saving money, but that's a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
We're in Tampa 8/17-8/24 and prices are tolerable at Alamo. Minivan $358 or Standard SUV $291 with $25 Visa or $25 Kidstuff code. My original minivan prices were $550-610, so much better!

FWIW, I like AutoSlash prices but after using them in April (NE spring break) I am hesitant since the best prices are through Priceline. Could not add member ID to AutoSlash/Priceline reservation, so could not skip counter. I had to wait in long line inside the terminal. I love saving money, but that's a deal breaker for me.

I was able to call and have the insiders # added over the phone to my Alamo reservation. Not sure if this would work for all rental companies

Hmm, maybe I'll give it another try sometime. The impression I got was that as soon as they saw the reservation was through Priceline, they didn't want to deal with us at the rental desk within the garage. They sent us back into the airport terminal to complete the reservation. It was late at night and both the terminal and garage desks had incredibly long lines with irritated renters. Not fun.

Hmm, maybe I'll give it another try sometime. The impression I got was that as soon as they saw the reservation was through Priceline, they didn't want to deal with us at the rental desk within the garage. They sent us back into the airport terminal to complete the reservation. It was late at night and both the terminal and garage desks had incredibly long lines with irritated renters. Not fun.
You can still check in online (which will allow you to bypass the counter) if you booked through Priceline. Use the Alamo confirmation number (drop the COUNT) to retrieve your reservation on the Alamo site and check in prior to picking up your rental.

Alamo rates seems to be dropping, little by little. I have $425 for 2 weeks, standard size using BJ's code and free upgrade. I booked that rate in June and today they are finally at that price again. I'm still 10 days out so I'll be checking a few times a day now.
Edited to add that I just checked again using the passholder code and BJ's free upgrade and got it down to $406.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter