Bacon: Microwave or Frying Pan?

I take the frying pan any day, but i must admit, and I hate myself for this, I often just use the pre cooked you warm up in microwave
Now that you're a retired man of leisure you should reward yourself with oven cooked bacon. And buy the expensive bacon, it really does taste better than the cheap stuff.

Hey, as long as the bacon is there, I'm happy.
We almost always pan fry bacon.
My son usually comes over for Father's and Mothers day and fixes brunch, and he uses the oven, and yes, it is better that way.
Microwave would be number 3 on my list of fixing bacon.
But like I said, as long as the bacon is on my plate, I'm happy.

Bacon goes in the oven here. Ever since I discovered how easy it is and non-messy that's how we cook it. It doesn't splatter at all so no bacon grease except in the pan. I use a baking sheet with about 1" side and line with foil. I then use baking racks (cookie cooling racks-stainless not non-stick) and bake. Easy clean up and it cooks so evenly. It works great with thicker bacon, but also works with thin if necessary.

I have a two burner griddle that I use to make an entire breakfast. I first make pancakes, then the sausage and bacon, and wind up with dirty eggs using some of the leftover grease.

Oven here too! Depending on how thick it is, I do it at 375 for 11-18 minutes. The package always says turning is unnecessary, but I always rotate the pan and flip halfway through anyway. I have my process for the different types of bacon I buy--some slices I cut in half first, and only put into a fully preheated oven. Others I keep at full slices and put in a cold oven and cook for a longer period of time. So much easier and cleaner than a frying pan!

Other advantage to the oven is you don't have to watch it every minute like you would on the stove. You put the cookie sheet in the pre-heated oven and can do other breakfast prep while it cooks.

^^ Same here. Grease drips away from bacon in the oven if you place it on a rack in a cookie sheet. When you fry bacon on the stove, grease splatters all over the stove and backsplash and you have to constantly keep an eye on it. Comes out more greasy on the stove, since it sits in its own fat during cooking.

Precooked (usually 15 slices per package) in the microwave for 30-45 seconds in a layer of paper towels

I cook it ion my smoker 1 to 2 # on sunday to use thru the week

I prefer bacon to be cooked in a skillet on top of the stove.

DH is the bacon cooker in the family. He uses the electric grill. If I cook bacon it’s usually for a dish I’m making and I need some of the drippings so I use a skillet. Tried the oven once, wasn’t a fan. Never tried the microwave.

Only frying pan. May try something new after reading this.

Just how long in oven, and at what temperature ?
375F until it's done to your liking. The time will depend on how much you cook at a time and you just have to keep an eye on it.

I use an electric griddle. I can fit half a package of bacon at a time and it's easier for me to clean up (doesn't get grease all over my stove).
When I make water chestnuts wrapped in bacon for pot lucks, and I definitely prefer doing those in the oven. I used to do them in the microwave, but it takes forever (our bacon tray only holds so many), and I just the crispiness the oven gives the bacon.

Only frying pan. May try something new after reading this.

Just how long in oven, and at what temperature ?

I make thick cut bacon, so I set the over to 400 degrees, and cook 20-25 minutes. If you look on the package, it will have cooking instructions for the oven. But, I've found that they usually underestimate cook time. Just check at their recommended time, then keep checking every few minutes until it's done.

During the week, a skillet (I make 4 slices for my husband and me--not worth turning on the oven. For a pound, either my 2 burner griddle or the oven.

It really varies. I’ll eat bacon however I can get it, including uncooked. My favorite way to cook thick cut bacon is on a flat top from raw, but if I have slab lying around I enjoy slicing it really thick and charring it a bit on the grill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter