Best wishes to Finley (Corey’s daughter)

I wish her all the luck in the world! I did grow almost 2 inches, but ended up shrinking .5 within a year. Still a 1.5 inch gain was pretty good. Let her know that she won't remember the bad stuff and the recovery will be over before she knows it. Just make sure she does any and all.exercises the PT recommends. I was up and around the second I was released from the hospital.
The only issue I have is that certain cars are uncomfortable to sit in. Just one brand seems to hit my back wrong, but not a big deal. I do turn the headrest of my car around backwards on the driver's seat as well.
If you have any other questions or anything feel free to message me, I feel bad hijacking this thread.

Why did you shrink .5 in a year? Very interesting...

This was a spinal fusion to correct her severe scoliosis.
IMG_9273.jpg

:grouphug:

****ETA****" My mom actually found my discharge papers. My fusion was from T4-L3. I honestly don't know what that means, but I remember from the X-rays that the rods seemed super long.
My curve was 72 degrees when they did surgery. It had jumped from 24 to 48 in one year which is when they decided to do surgery and by the time surgery happened a year later it was 72.
I've had a 6 level fusion (4+2 a few years later), but I was in my 60s. I am blown away by Finley's x-ray. I quoting you because Corey has enough on his plate, but did you have trouble tying your shoes, etc? Since you and she were so young, did they ever take the rods out? I wonder about growth. You mentioned growing 2 inches after surgery then dropping back a little. What about long term growth?

I had to wear a turtle shell brace 3 months after my first surgery. My second, the docs said I didn't need one, but I wore a smaller brace and it helped.

Thanks. Just being nosy.

I've had a 6 level fusion (4+2 a few years later), but I was in my 60s. I am blown away by Finley's x-ray. I quoting you because Corey has enough on his plate, but did you have trouble tying your shoes, etc? Since you and she were so young, did they ever take the rods out? I wonder about growth. You mentioned growing 2 inches after surgery then dropping back a little. What about long term growth?

I had to wear a turtle shell brace 3 months after my first surgery. My second, the docs said I didn't need one, but I wore a smaller brace and it helped.

Thanks. Just being nosy.
No troubles tying shows after my brace was off, when I had the brace I couldn’t tie my shoes. Fortunately it was the era of Keds without shoelaces and LJ Simone shoes which didn’t have ties either. After the brace was off it wasn’t a problem. Obviously my back itself doesn’t bend like normal, but the only time I notice it is when I am sitting in cars or very rarely certain chairs since my back can’t bend to conform to the curves. I do need a very firm mattress to sleep on though, anything soft and when I wake up I am very stiff.

Rods are still in, I hope they never need to come out, I can’t imagine what that would be like.

I don’t know how old Finley is, but when they did my surgery it had to be post puberty so I would be done growing. They typically and historically waited until girls were 16 as well, but as I said my curve had doubled in a year and they were very worried how bad it would get if they waited 3 more years. The initial growth was due to my back straightening up and Is probably the height I would have been originally had I not been crooked. No idea why I shrunk again, honestly the doctor was baffled too. I had at least monthly appointments post surgery and I was measured each time. The shrinking was very gradual.
Not sure what the turtle shell brace is. When did you have your surgery?

I had the
No troubles tying shows after my brace was off, when I had the brace I couldn’t tie my shoes. Fortunately it was the era of Keds without shoelaces and LJ Simone shoes which didn’t have ties either. After the brace was off it wasn’t a problem. Obviously my back itself doesn’t bend like normal, but the only time I notice it is when I am sitting in cars or very rarely certain chairs since my back can’t bend to conform to the curves. I do need a very firm mattress to sleep on though, anything soft and when I wake up I am very stiff.

Rods are still in, I hope they never need to come out, I can’t imagine what that would be like.

I don’t know how old Finley is, but when they did my surgery it had to be post puberty so I would be done growing. They typically and historically waited until girls were 16 as well, but as I said my curve had doubled in a year and they were very worried how bad it would get if they waited 3 more years. The initial growth was due to my back straightening up and Is probably the height I would have been originally had I not been crooked. No idea why I shrunk again, honestly the doctor was baffled too. I had at least monthly appointments post surgery and I was measured each time. The shrinking was very gradual.
Not sure what the turtle shell brace is. When did you have your surgery?
I had my first in 2020, and the second Feb 1st of this year.

I gained a little less than an inch from my fusions. I was hoping for more, lol. Turtle shell goes from mid chest to your waists on front/back--just reminds people of a turtle shell. Also, I was told after the first six months, the cadaver bone is healed and fused, so you really don't need the hardware anymore. But, I'm like you--I want it in there. Interesting about the bed firmness. I've tried different types, and since I'm older I've heard softer is better. I need medium firm. My biggest issue with sleeping is I was a side sleeper for my entire life. Anymore, I simply can't get comfortable on my side.

Funny you mention about sitting in cars. I am unable to twist enough to see cars in the blind spot. Luckily, our car is new enough to have blind spot sensors. We have ordered a new hybrid with even more electronic assistance (parking, side street sensor, etc). If not for the electronics, my wife would be doing most of the driving.

Thanks for you reply. I don't often get to "swap stories" with someone who has had a fusion. All told, yes there are inconveniences but the surgery was literally life changing and I am grateful for it.

We appreciate all of the good wishes. Finely is still in the hospital recovering and is in a tremendous amount of pain, but hopefully, she'll get to come home soon.
Corey - do you all have family, etc nearby? You're juggling a lot!

Are there things that DIS folks who want to help can (gift cards for food/food delivery - things like that)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter