Big Sister Baby Shower

My point was more that everything is such a big event now that when the drudgery of day to day marriage isn’t the big Cinderella story, it’s possibly a disappointment. My comment was mainly tongue in cheek, but you can’t deny depression rates are at an all time high. I know there are many factors, but psychologists have said adding to the depression is when people think life is one big exciting look at me ride. Reality is disappointing. I’m sure your daughter is fine despite the promposals—I’m sure my daughter will have them in a few years. I was speaking generally.

There are so many things that people do now to celebrate one life event or another and perhaps it is contributing. I think sometimes these celebrations are made to look like a bigger deal than they really are on social media.

But I also think that as parents it’s important to keep our kids grounded. I mean the big blow out party for getting all A’s is ok, but make sure your kid understands the important part is the accomplishment not the party.

The little girl in the op can enjoy celebrating her new sibling and being a big sister and it’s just fine as long as she is always taught that the important thing is learning to be a wonderful big sister.

Reality doesn’t have to be disappointing. But as parents we should be honest about what it is and what real life looks like.

...you can’t deny depression rates are at an all time high. I know there are many factors, but psychologists have said adding to the depression is when people think life is one big exciting look at me ride. Reality is disappointing.

That's a good point. We spend a lot of time nowadays looking at what other people have and how other people do things. I definitely think all that comparing makes people feel worse.

comparison-is-the-thief-of-joy.jpg

My point was more that everything is such a big event now that when the drudgery of day to day marriage isn’t the big Cinderella story, it’s possibly a disappointment. My comment was mainly tongue in cheek, but you can’t deny depression rates are at an all time high. I know there are many factors, but psychologists have said adding to the depression is when people think life is one big exciting look at me ride. Reality is disappointing. I’m sure your daughter is fine despite the promposals—I’m sure my daughter will have them in a few years. I was speaking generally.
I totally understood where you were going with it and agree completely. ::yes::
That's a good point. We spend a lot of time nowadays looking at what other people have and how other people do things. I definitely think all that comparing makes people feel worse.

comparison-is-the-thief-of-joy.jpg
Or more accurately, looking at what they want you to believe their lives are like. Honestly, I think it's impossible in this day and age for anybody to deny the effect of social media on the psyches of individuals. We're trying to help with a very troubled young family member right now who is truly in despair over how fruitless and terrible she feels like her life is compared to the lives of total strangers she follows on social media. At least in our day, when we felt pressured by tv characters and magazine ads, we may have powerfully desired to be like them but we knew objectively those things weren't real...{{sigh}}.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter