Blackfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Animal kingdom holds animals in captivity too. But of course nobody on this board is gonna say anything about that.

Animal kingdom doesn't put their animals in concrete boxes with no stimulation and they don't make them preform stupid tricks.
Cetacea is a scientific order of large aquatic mammals that includes all whales, dolphins, and porpoises they are highly intelligent mammals. They swim close to 1,00miles a day in the open ocean. They stay with the same family groups their entire lives. Killer whales and dolphins chew on the concrete walls from boredom they stop using echo location because smooth concrete walls bounce the sound around hurting their ears. They basically are forced to preform until they die there isn't a retirement home where these beautiful creatures can go after making sea world millions of dollars. So no animal kingdom while not perfect is not like sea world

This thread is absolutely fascinating! I am really impressed with everyone's knowledge and insight on the subject of captive orcas. I have to agree that based on my limited knowledge and my own worldview, it seems like the best happy medium is to retire captive orcas and discontinue breeding orcas in captivity. Releasing them to the wild after years of being used to human contact and care doesn't seem wise at all. Since they are animals so capable of bonding and self-awareness, it makes sense that they would develop connections with trainers and people, and that should be acknowledged by activists. I haven't seen Blackfish but I do hope they attempt to provide a reasonable solution that suits both sides of the issue. I'm also very much against keeping orcas for entertainment or having them in captivity, but since what's done is done, the orcas that have only known the park environment need to be cared for with that in mind. I think bay pens or sanctuaries seem like good ideas...but as others have said, funding and even the willingness to fund will be barriers.
What I am most curious about now is whether the orcas BORN in captivity would have the same exact issues as those that were captured young from the wild and then raised in captivity. I am not at all insinuating that the captive born orcas deserve any less consideration of being released or retired...merely pointing out that their circumstance seems somewhat different and since they never even had a chance to experience their natural surroundings and orca culture and learning, would they potentially have less aggression, boredom and/or depression than the captured whales? As I said, I would still want these orcas to be retired and released just as much as all others (so that they get their natural born right to experience true orca life), but something to think about I guess.

And I really appreciate the point that many zoos do good in helping with rescue and release and helping keep species' populations thriving. And yes, different animals have different habitat needs, so captive orca issues do not necessarily apply to all other species out there in artificial environments. It does make me wonder though whether raising the issue of orcas in captivity should mean that attention should be given now to captive dolphins, beluga whales, pilot whales, etc. I don't know as much about these species, but it would seem they might also have some needs that can't be met in captive environments.

Primates kept in small cages in labs exhibit abnormal behaviors this relatively high frequency and almost all are bred in captivity.

After going on a whale watching tour in Juneau Alaska while on an Alaskan Cruise, I have no desire to ever go to sea world again. Seeing them in their natural, beautiful habitat is absolutely amazing. It saddens me that they are forced to do tricks for treats at seaworld. No trick at seaworld will ever top seeing a humpback whale breach in the wild, or a pod of whales bubble feeding

Primates kept in small cages in labs exhibit abnormal behaviors this relatively high frequency and almost all are bred in captivity.

Absolutely true, and one of the reasons that the US government just moved to make this practice illegal in pretty much every situation. As of a month ago, all chimps have been declared endangered and are thus banned from lab use in all practical situations.

This thread is absolutely fascinating! I am really impressed with everyone's knowledge and insight on the subject of captive orcas. I have to agree that based on my limited knowledge and my own worldview, it seems like the best happy medium is to retire captive orcas and discontinue breeding orcas in captivity. Releasing them to the wild after years of being used to human contact and care doesn't seem wise at all. Since they are animals so capable of bonding and self-awareness, it makes sense that they would develop connections with trainers and people, and that should be acknowledged by activists. I haven't seen Blackfish but I do hope they attempt to provide a reasonable solution that suits both sides of the issue. I'm also very much against keeping orcas for entertainment or having them in captivity, but since what's done is done, the orcas that have only known the park environment need to be cared for with that in mind. I think bay pens or sanctuaries seem like good ideas...but as others have said, funding and even the willingness to fund will be barriers.
What I am most curious about now is whether the orcas BORN in captivity would have the same exact issues as those that were captured young from the wild and then raised in captivity. I am not at all insinuating that the captive born orcas deserve any less consideration of being released or retired...merely pointing out that their circumstance seems somewhat different and since they never even had a chance to experience their natural surroundings and orca culture and learning, would they potentially have less aggression, boredom and/or depression than the captured whales? As I said, I would still want these orcas to be retired and released just as much as all others (so that they get their natural born right to experience true orca life), but something to think about I guess.

And I really appreciate the point that many zoos do good in helping with rescue and release and helping keep species' populations thriving. And yes, different animals have different habitat needs, so captive orca issues do not necessarily apply to all other species out there in artificial environments. It does make me wonder though whether raising the issue of orcas in captivity should mean that attention should be given now to captive dolphins, beluga whales, pilot whales, etc. I don't know as much about these species, but it would seem they might also have some needs that can't be met in captive environments.

I'm on my phone so this won't be the longest post, but in short, yes even orcas born in captivity have these issues, it's not just wild-caught ones. It's because they are just too big and complex. It's genetic and has nothing to do with their history.

And yes, I do believe that if they retire orcas, it will move down the line to belugas and pilot whales and possibly even dolphins. I'd be incredibly curious, if there ever is legislation on the topic, how they'd phrase it. Orcas aren't whales, they are dolphins, so you'd have to either specifically say "no orcas in captivity" or "no marine mammal greater than xxx size" because if you say "whales" it would exclude orcas but if you said "dolphins" it would include bottlenose dolphins too. If you said "cetaceans" it means no dolphins or porpoises at all would be allowed. And if you just said "marine mammals", that includes seal lions, walrus, manatees, and even polar bears are technically classified per the MMPA as marine mammals, some of which get quite large so a sized-base regulation would be tricky too!! Someone will find loopholes no matter what.

After going on a whale watching tour in Juneau Alaska while on an Alaskan Cruise, I have no desire to ever go to sea world again. Seeing them in their natural, beautiful habitat is absolutely amazing. It saddens me that they are forced to do tricks for treats at seaworld. No trick at seaworld will ever top seeing a humpback whale breach in the wild, or a pod of whales bubble feeding

In Sea World's defense they certainly don't have any humpbacks in captivity lol. They housed an orphaned gray whale after they rescued him (look up JJ the gray whale) but he quickly got too big and was released.

In Sea World's defense they certainly don't have any humpbacks in captivity lol. They housed an orphaned gray whale after they rescued him (look up JJ the gray whale) but he quickly got too big and was released.

Haha I know. I saw many orcas too, including a momma and her two babies, just can't compare seeing any type of whale in their natural habitat versus captivity

Haha I know. I saw many orcas too, including a momma and her two babies, just can't compare seeing any type of whale in their natural habitat versus captivity

Amen to that. I'm seeing the movie tomorrow (with my friend that works at Sea World actually) so after that I should be able to come back and post my thoughts on the movie.

Amen to that. I'm seeing the movie tomorrow (with my friend that works at Sea World actually) so after that I should be able to come back and post my thoughts on the movie.

I really wanna see it. I'm hoping in due time it will come on Netflix!

Sonnyjane, I am interested to hear your thoughts on the movie - please post here after you've seen it with your review!

I am also interested in your thoughts on Atlantic or bottle nose dolphins kept in captivity based on the criteria below which makes me against orcas in captivity.

Disney does, of course, keep dolphins in captivity at The Seas at Epcot (I think they keep bottle nose, but am not completely sure). I am not sure they have a breeding program??? Are Disney's dolphins all rescues?

My objection to orcas at Sea World is four-fold:

- Orcas are highly intelligent (become bored, mentally under stimulated and possibly destructive) - high intelligence should raise a flag to review a species kept in captivity but in my mind is not the only factor to consider

-Sea World orcas are kept in conditions that do not mimic their natural social structures (orcas that would not share close space in the wild are kept very close together at Sea World) - this seems to cause extreme stress. I know at AK, for example, bachelor gorillas are kept in a separate enclosure from the moms and family units which more closely mimics the social structure of wild gorillas. From what I understand about orcas kept at Sea World, the social units are not engineered as precisely (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

-Dangerous animals like Tilikum being used in feel-good performances. Orcas are ruthless predators. Orcas hunt, "capture," and kill baby whales, for example. Using that same logic, I don't want to see a tiger or lion in a fuzzy-wuzzy circus-ish show either. I think a setting like that is misleading - I wouldn't want to cuddle a polar bear OR an orca and a performance that spotlights them in that way is not educational or appealing to me. Under the same logic, old circus acts where a performer would stick his head inside a lion's mouth to show that he trained the animal to allow him to do so does not mean we should train animals that way - just because orcas can be trained to pose for photos doesn't necessarily follow that we should do it or that it is best for the animal. But I don't apply this rule to all species - for example, I think many dogs are highly motivated to work (with or for humans) in capacities such as herding, tracking or performing tricks. Dogs have co-evolved with us and form a special bond. I have no problem with a dog with the right personality performing in an agility competition or (controversy ahead) the Iditarod (spelling?) sled race. Birds such as parrots are also highly intelligent and from what I know and have learned about them, I have no problem with them performing in Flights of Wonder at AK.

- Finally, size. Orcas just seem too big to ever have enough room in captivity to thrive.

So the real problem I have with Sea World's orcas are my second third and fourth bullet points above.

Using the same criteria above, how would you judge Disney's dolphins in captivity?

One more point, I do admire that Disney does a lot of research on animal intelligence with their dolphins (no idea how many researchers - not trainers or caregivers - Sea World has on staff so I have no authority to compare them with Disney on that topic). Last time my husband and I were at The Seas they were performing object/image rotation tests with the dolphins before that - in 2011- we saw them testing the concept of same and different. There is so much we don't yet know about animal intelligence that all scientifically rigorous data that we can gather is extremely important.

I'm on my phone so this won't be the longest post, but in short, yes even orcas born in captivity have these issues, it's not just wild-caught ones. It's because they are just too big and complex. It's genetic and has nothing to do with their history.

And yes, I do believe that if they retire orcas, it will move down the line to belugas and pilot whales and possibly even dolphins. I'd be incredibly curious, if there ever is legislation on the topic, how they'd phrase it. Orcas aren't whales, they are dolphins, so you'd have to either specifically say "no orcas in captivity" or "no marine mammal greater than xxx size" because if you say "whales" it would exclude orcas but if you said "dolphins" it would include bottlenose dolphins too. If you said "cetaceans" it means no dolphins or porpoises at all would be allowed. And if you just said "marine mammals", that includes seal lions, walrus, manatees, and even polar bears are technically classified per the MMPA as marine mammals, some of which get quite large so a sized-base regulation would be tricky too!! Someone will find loopholes no matter what.

You make a really good point, sonnyjane , the terminology used if such legislation were to happen could really have an effect on which marine animals are continued to be kept captive.
And it is eye-opening to know that captive orca issues are troubled not just because of learning or history in the wild, but their very nature. I'll have to keep that in mind.
From what I'm hearing/reading about Blackfish, it sounds like a lot of the focus is on Tilikum. It sounds a lot like Tili went through multiple traumatic experiences and developed this aggression. I think for skeptics to be convinced of the film's message, there needs to also be focus on all the captive whales in general, including captive born, and examples of issues with them too (and maybe the film does this, I don't know, am yet to view it).

I have a hunch that SeaWorld's response to all the criticism and controversy will be to attempt to improve the orcas' conditions in captivity instead of being willing to consider phasing out the practice. People all over are pointing out the lack of space, lack of family structure, and trainer-related incidents...seeing SeaWorld's attitude, I have a feeling they will try to address these issues by claiming they are improving safety procedures and the groupings of whales in the tanks or something along those lines. Obviously, I don't think anything they try to do will give the orcas what they need, but it seems like SeaWorld might respond this way as an alternative to losing their big business.

Okay, let's dig in! I want to preface this by saying based on what I've written in this thread and my location, it wouldn't be a stretch for people to guess where I work. Any views I have are mine alone and in no way a reflection of my place of employment. My comments are in bold.

Sonnyjane, I am interested to hear your thoughts on the movie - please post here after you've seen it with your review!

I am also interested in your thoughts on Atlantic or bottle nose dolphins kept in captivity based on the criteria below which makes me against orcas in captivity.

Disney does, of course, keep dolphins in captivity at The Seas at Epcot (I think they keep bottle nose, but am not completely sure). I am not sure they have a breeding program??? Are Disney's dolphins all rescues?

I am not intimately familiar with Disney's dolphin program. I don't know where their dolphins come from but I can almost certainly promise they aren't rescues. A majority of dolphins in captivity are captive-bred. A "rescue" would imply that it's a wild dolphin that they rehabilitated and then trained because it couldn't be released, and very few places do that, but I do know of ones that have one or perhaps a couple animals like that in their collection, but the majority are just from breeding in their facility or from other facilities.

My objection to orcas at Sea World is four-fold:

- Orcas are highly intelligent (become bored, mentally under stimulated and possibly destructive) - high intelligence should raise a flag to review a species kept in captivity but in my mind is not the only factor to consider

-Sea World orcas are kept in conditions that do not mimic their natural social structures (orcas that would not share close space in the wild are kept very close together at Sea World) - this seems to cause extreme stress. I know at AK, for example, bachelor gorillas are kept in a separate enclosure from the moms and family units which more closely mimics the social structure of wild gorillas. From what I understand about orcas kept at Sea World, the social units are not engineered as precisely (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

It's not necessarily that wild orcas don't live closely together. They live very closely together. Many of them spend their entire lives with each other in the wild, side by side. Big bulls like Tilly are actually momma's boys that stay by their mom's side most of their life. The difference is that in captivity, in small enclosures, if there is a scuffle, there's no escape. If you're having a bad day, there's nowhere to hide. You can't hang out with A one day and B the next, you have to ALWAYS hang out with A and B together in captivity. That leads to the frustration and acting out because there isn't an alternative outlet. We call it redirection. If another whale is pissing you off but you can't take it out on them because of your housing situation, it's likely that you might take it out on your trainer instead. This happens with many animals in captivity, certainly not just orcas.

-Dangerous animals like Tilikum being used in feel-good performances. Orcas are ruthless predators. Orcas hunt, "capture," and kill baby whales, for example. Using that same logic, I don't want to see a tiger or lion in a fuzzy-wuzzy circus-ish show either. I think a setting like that is misleading - I wouldn't want to cuddle a polar bear OR an orca and a performance that spotlights them in that way is not educational or appealing to me. Under the same logic, old circus acts where a performer would stick his head inside a lion's mouth to show that he trained the animal to allow him to do so does not mean we should train animals that way - just because orcas can be trained to pose for photos doesn't necessarily follow that we should do it or that it is best for the animal. But I don't apply this rule to all species - for example, I think many dogs are highly motivated to work (with or for humans) in capacities such as herding, tracking or performing tricks. Dogs have co-evolved with us and form a special bond. I have no problem with a dog with the right personality performing in an agility competition or (controversy ahead) the Iditarod (spelling?) sled race. Birds such as parrots are also highly intelligent and from what I know and have learned about them, I have no problem with them performing in Flights of Wonder at AK.

I know it sounds far-fetched, so I don't blame you if you feel skeptical that I am coming on the boards saying I've worked with dolphins, whales, AND birds, but I used to work for the company that does the Flights of Wonder show at AK as well (it is a contracted show, not officially a Disney entity). This is a small community so you tend to know everyone and have similar backgrounds. I still have many friends that work there. I never worked at AK, just for the same company and have worked with the same animals that are currently performing when they were in a different city. I know how they are housed and I know what actions are taken to keep them enriched even though they might lack space. Is it comparable to being in the wild? No, not at all. But I know that in those particular cases, I am okay with it. I'm very middle of the road. I'm not a PETA/Greenpeace activist, but I'm also not 100% okay with animals being in captivity. I know that I approve of the people that are doing it properly and disagree with those that are doing it wrong. I am unfortunately QUITE aware of bird shows out there that are NOT doing things properly and that have birds living in conditions that I can't condone. I can only say with certainty that I'm happy with how I manage my animals currently and can sleep well at night knowing that I have incredibly healthy animals that don't display negative stereotypic behavioral problems that can be common with birds in captivity.

- Finally, size. Orcas just seem too big to ever have enough room in captivity to thrive.

So the real problem I have with Sea World's orcas are my second third and fourth bullet points above.

Using the same criteria above, how would you judge Disney's dolphins in captivity?

One more point, I do admire that Disney does a lot of research on animal intelligence with their dolphins (no idea how many researchers - not trainers or caregivers - Sea World has on staff so I have no authority to compare them with Disney on that topic). Last time my husband and I were at The Seas they were performing object/image rotation tests with the dolphins before that - in 2011- we saw them testing the concept of same and different. There is so much we don't yet know about animal intelligence that all scientifically rigorous data that we can gather is extremely important.

I know very little about Disney's dolphin program. I haven't been to Epcot in 18 years. I had a boss that used to be a part of their program and was heavily involved with communication research (they would communicate with the dolphins using a big picture board). That research was really fascinating and produced a lot of information about their ability to communicate with each other and with humans. I don't know anything about the size of their holding or even how many animals they have, so I really can't comment about their program specifically. As far as bottlenoseds in captivity in general, I'd say that's my threshold species. I think I'm okay with dolphins. Larger than that, no, but dolphins I can accept. Do I think they are better off in the wild? Of course. But I think that it's possible to maintain dolphins in a way that's appropriate. My husband used to train dolphins and sea lions for a few years and I did a 4-month internship with the same place shortly after finishing up my degree. I have several friends that are dolphin trainers currently at different facilities. All of the facilities where I know people personally, I have visited and have been very impressed with their care. I'm not going to mention names of facilities specifically, but I'm not referring to Sea World, but other private facilities around the country. They have relatively large pools (larger than the orca pool at SW) and the ability to socialize with other dolphins. Not ALL places house them properly, and so I don't think ANYONE can have them, but I have seen it done properly and therefore I won't say that nobody should have them.

To recap my work history, I received a biology degree with a marine emphasis. I then followed orcas in the wild for a year as a naturalist on a whale watching boat before relocating to California. While here I volunteered on a gray whale boat as an educator while doing a 4-month internship training dolphins and sea lions. After that, I got a job with the company that does the Flights of Wonder show but here, and then I was hired full-time at my current facility and work with birds and love it. I've seen many sides of this story and I have to say it leaves me conflicted on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes I think "screw it I'm quitting and volunteering for an animal rescue!" until I realize "I have a ton of bills to pay". I said earlier in this thread, I'm really mulling over this issue and I think I'll have some stronger feelings one way or the other tomorrow after seeing the film.

Sorry to bore you ;) Careful what you ask for lol!

Sonnyjane, thanks for the great information!

To clarify my point on orcas in the wild (I am just going from memory here), I thought orcas tended to stay together in family groups BUT that the social groups at Sea World may not be related (or are not closely related). So, for example, I thought an issue for Tillikum was that he was not getting along with a non-related orca he was kept in a close space with. So I was thinking that even though orcas do group together in the wild, the groups at Sea World are artificial - true or not? This is just a memory I had of something that I heard or read, so if I am off base, feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Also how large are orca pods in the wild? If the number of orcas kept together at Sea World is smaller than a typical pod does that also throw things out of balance and cause stress?

Here's a quote from an expert on the subject.

"It is certain that the study of human psychology, if it were undertaken exclusively in prisons, would also lead to misrepresentation and absurd generalizations."
Jacque Cousteau

I have been an advocate for the end of cetacean captivity for 40 years. I will proudly wave the flag of Ric O'Barry and the Dolphin Project, Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd Cove Guardians.
I can appreciate the lure that these attractions are for some people. But I will never participate in a swim with dolphins program nor will I give a cent to Sea World, Marineland or any aquarium that profits from the misery of these minds in the waters.
I welcome "Blackfish" as a way to get people to consider that what we are doing is inhumane. Just as "The Cove" exposed the Japanese slaughters.
And before I am asked, even though I am a Disney fan, I am part of a petition to release the EPCOT dolphins to sea pens so they may live the remainder of their lives out of a tank.

Sonnyjane, thanks for the great information!

To clarify my point on orcas in the wild (I am just going from memory here), I thought orcas tended to stay together in family groups BUT that the social groups at Sea World may not be related (or are not closely related). So, for example, I thought an issue for Tillikum was that he was not getting along with a non-related orca he was kept in a close space with. So I was thinking that even though orcas do group together in the wild, the groups at Sea World are artificial - true or not? This is just a memory I had of something that I heard or read, so if I am off base, feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Also how large are orca pods in the wild? If the number of orcas kept together at Sea World is smaller than a typical pod does that also throw things out of balance and cause stress?

Ahh okay, I misunderstood on that first point. Yes, in the wild it's mostly family or whales that come to join from a different pod for breeding purposes. I'll be honest that I don't know the ages and lineage of all the orcas in the parks right now, but you are correct in that they are not a "natural" family. I think a lot of them are related now since there hasn't been much new blood over the past decades, but it's not necessarily their chosen family, as artificial insemination is used so... meh... yeah...gets fuzzy haha. In short, you're right, it's not ideal.

As far as how big pods are in the wild, it really varies. Remember earlier it was discussed that there are different types of orcas, different subspecies. Some literally live alone until it's time to find a mate to breed, then they'll maybe head off on their own again. Others live in large family groups. The Southern Resident population off of WA (currently endangered sadly) only has 82 members as of the last count, which is unfortunately down from the number there were when I was working up there in 2008. That group is made up of 3 smaller pods (J, K, L). At any given time those groups have 20-40 members, but sometimes they all hang out together in a "super pod" with all 80-something together. Other times they go their separate ways and hang out in their own family groups. It's when they meet up that breeding or other social interactions (dating hehe) can occur. Keeps the gene pool fresh. Among the J pod is J2 ("Granny"), an individual that is believed to be 102 years old.... so... yeah... orcas in captivity don't live NEARLY as long as those in the wild.

The Southern Resident population has been tracked extensively. Here's a cool site that identifies the individuals: http://www.whalemuseum.org/programs/orcadoption/whalelist.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter