Blizzard Beach Questions

bubsmoljo

Mouseketeer
Hey Everyone-

Never visited a water park before on any of our trips and are giving it a try on our trip at the end of September. We're visiting on Friday, October 5th, plan on getting there at 10am opening and have a 10 and 8-year-old.

1) Thoughts on crowds at this time?
2) is it hard to find and keep chairs? Where is the recommended best place to get a spot-thinking near Ski Patrol area-but heard it can be crazy busy?
3) Do you recommend pool shoes?
4) thoughts on purchasing premium seating-is it worth it?
Anything I'm missing or you pros can add?
Thanks so much!!!

Hey Everyone-

Never visited a water park before on any of our trips and are giving it a try on our trip at the end of September. We're visiting on Friday, October 5th, plan on getting there at 10am opening and have a 10 and 8-year-old.

2) is it hard to find and keep chairs? Where is the recommended best place to get a spot-thinking near Ski Patrol area-but heard it can be crazy busy?
Thanks so much!!!

1. The water parks are never crowded like the theme parks, so you'll be fine. The first 60 minutes BB is open you can do pretty much anything you want with no wait at all. Since it won't be summer, you will find it even less crowded.

2. No. Even in the peak of summer, there is more than adequate seating. There is no "best" area to get a seat, it all depends on where you want to be. Ski Patrol and Tykes Peak aren't as busy as you may think. If you're there at 10am you'll have no trouble getting a spot anywhere.

3. Personal prefence. I absolutely despise pool shoes, they are n-a-s-t-y in my opinion. But that's just my opinion. In the heat of summer, the pavement can get hot in spots...though much of it is actually continually sprayed down to keep it cool. However, in October it may not be as big of an issue. If you wear them, you have to take them off on body/tube slides and hold them in your hands.

4. No, absolutely waste of money in my opinion. Again, just my opinion. See my answer to number 2 above for the reason. Paying a ton of money for a chair when there are endless free ones makes no sense...but I'm admittedly a cheap skate.

Other things to add... The water parks are a ton of fun. Like I said, the first hour has the shortest lines. Summit Plummet, Slush Gusher and Downhill Double Dipper (DDD) lines build the fastest. Do those first. Summit and Slush are next to each other, they literally share a walkway to the entrance. DDD is a bit away, but not too far. Teamboat Springs (family tube ride) is a blast. Lazy river is fun. Wave pool is OK, but nothing in comparison to Typhoon Lagoon. There are a lot of stairs...be prepared for lots of climbing. Don't waste time on the ski lift, maybe do it once for experience, but beyond that it's slower than walking and stops VERY often. Either rent a locker or don't bring valuables in. We've been to the 2 water parks a total of 50 times...at least...and never had anyone touch our stuff, but then again we only bring in old clothes, towels and some food. So if someone really wants to steal that stuff, have at it. Oh, and don't rule out Typhoon Lagoon instead of Blizzard Beach. Don't get me wrong, I love Blizzard Beach, but TL is just as awesome, if not more. Your kids, especially the 10 year old, are on the older side of Ski Patrol age group (meant for kids 3-10 or so). TL has a wave pool that's absolutely and completely amazing and worth the price of admission itself. It also has 2 family tube rides, where BB has one (though an awesome one) and Crush Gusher...which is sort of like a water park roller coaster.

WOW! so helpful! Thank so much Klayfish!!! I just have a water park ticket, so I can go to either one (ie change my mind and go to TL instead?!?)

1. The water parks are never crowded like the theme parks, so you'll be fine. The first 60 minutes BB is open you can do pretty much anything you want with no wait at all. Since it won't be summer, you will find it even less crowded.

2. No. Even in the peak of summer, there is more than adequate seating. There is no "best" area to get a seat, it all depends on where you want to be. Ski Patrol and Tykes Peak aren't as busy as you may think. If you're there at 10am you'll have no trouble getting a spot anywhere.

3. Personal prefence. I absolutely despise pool shoes, they are n-a-s-t-y in my opinion. But that's just my opinion. In the heat of summer, the pavement can get hot in spots...though much of it is actually continually sprayed down to keep it cool. However, in October it may not be as big of an issue. If you wear them, you have to take them off on body/tube slides and hold them in your hands.

4. No, absolutely waste of money in my opinion. Again, just my opinion. See my answer to number 2 above for the reason. Paying a ton of money for a chair when there are endless free ones makes no sense...but I'm admittedly a cheap skate.

Other things to add... The water parks are a ton of fun. Like I said, the first hour has the shortest lines. Summit Plummet, Slush Gusher and Downhill Double Dipper (DDD) lines build the fastest. Do those first. Summit and Slush are next to each other, they literally share a walkway to the entrance. DDD is a bit away, but not too far. Teamboat Springs (family tube ride) is a blast. Lazy river is fun. Wave pool is OK, but nothing in comparison to Typhoon Lagoon. There are a lot of stairs...be prepared for lots of climbing. Don't waste time on the ski lift, maybe do it once for experience, but beyond that it's slower than walking and stops VERY often. Either rent a locker or don't bring valuables in. We've been to the 2 water parks a total of 50 times...at least...and never had anyone touch our stuff, but then again we only bring in old clothes, towels and some food. So if someone really wants to steal that stuff, have at it. Oh, and don't rule out Typhoon Lagoon instead of Blizzard Beach. Don't get me wrong, I love Blizzard Beach, but TL is just as awesome, if not more. Your kids, especially the 10 year old, are on the older side of Ski Patrol age group (meant for kids 3-10 or so). TL has a wave pool that's absolutely and completely amazing and worth the price of admission itself. It also has 2 family tube rides, where BB has one (though an awesome one) and Crush Gusher...which is sort of like a water park roller coaster.

This is seriously spot on! I agree 100% on pretty much all of this. I also agree on not ruling out Typhoon. Our family has enjoyed it more than BB even since the kids were younger. The only thing I like about BB more is the family raft ride. It's LONG and a lot of fun.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with either of them. We make them a part of our trip every year and usually visit them multiple times during the trip.

My only add is to arrive 30 minutes before opening. Then you can enter the park as they do bag check at the turnstiles and be partway in when it opens. We do this for both. We rode every slide at least once and were in the lazy river 45 minutes after opening. We tend to head out 90 minutes after opening as it gets really crowded then and we are usually ready for lunch and to get out of the sun.

Was going to reply but this post covers it well. Heed the advice.

Hey Everyone-

Thanks so much!!!
Concerning #4 we found the paid seating worth it. It’s away from the crowds in a sandy area. It stormed for a good portion of our day and the covered seats were a great relief while everything was shut down. I can see how they could be just as useful in the sun. Covered spots in the shade were few and far between and fill up right at opening. We arrived at 10:12 am, scoped the seating situation then decided to rent a spot for the day. Glad we did.

Get the mini donuts and dipping sauce!

I was contemplating 10-12 at blizzard beach, lunch and donuts and then heading to typhoon lagoon. Is that insane?

My kids, 7 and 10 love both water parks, but said Typhoon Lagoon is their favorite (because of the wave pool-seriously huge waves! My then 9yr old wore a life jacket even though she was a good swimmer. I have never seen a wave pool quite like it!) It also has misadventure Falls, a family raft ride, that we really like (you can see a video on you tube.) Personally, I really like the theming of Blizzard beach and therefore have a hard time choosing between the two. If it is not a surprise, have your kids watch YouTube videos of the different slides and both the parks and have them choose which one they would prefer.

My only add is to arrive 30 minutes before opening. Then you can enter the park as they do bag check at the turnstiles and be partway in when it opens. We do this for both. We rode every slide at least once and were in the lazy river 45 minutes after opening. We tend to head out 90 minutes after opening as it gets really crowded then and we are usually ready for lunch and to get out of the sun.

If you show up 30 minutes early, you're going to be bored to tears before they open. Showing up 5 minutes early is more than enough, as the "rope drop" crowd never gets big, and the tap point entrance never backs up. We've never had our bags checked in all of our trips, so maybe it's a hit or miss thing. Yes, you can hit every ride easily within the first 45 minutes. Frankly, when the park opens at 10am, by noon we've done everything several times and done a few laps in the lazy river. Usually we're done by 2pm.

I was contemplating 10-12 at blizzard beach, lunch and donuts and then heading to typhoon lagoon. Is that insane?

Nope, not at all. See my post above, by noon you should be able to do everything. Just keep in mind that when you get to TL, the lines for the "big" stuff will be long.

Hey Everyone-

Thanks so much!!!

1. Not sure, never went at that time.
2. We rented a polar patio in August. It was great and I would do it again! Free locker, soft chairs, unlimited water, free mugs (like we needed another one), we got in the park before it opened and were ready to go once the park opened.
3. Yes, we all wore them. They had to come off for the big slide.
4. See above....I did buy a small lock for my pool bag that attached to a chair while at the pool but we had a locker. We also went in the summer so I wanted shade. We also we not in the sand. While I love the beach and sand, I also love when my stuff stays sand free..

I haven’t been to either and I can’t decide which one to do (but I only have one day for a water park).
Ahh gotcha.
Then yes you can get most things done by 12. Then enjoy typhoon lagoon.

I find both lazy rivers lackluster so you dont need to burn time with either.

And typhoon lagoon wave pool is amazing so id rather more time in that one compared to blizzard.

If you show up 30 minutes early, you're going to be bored to tears before they open. Showing up 5 minutes early is more than enough, as the "rope drop" crowd never gets big, and the tap point entrance never backs up. We've never had our bags checked in all of our trips, so maybe it's a hit or miss thing. Yes, you can hit every ride easily within the first 45 minutes. Frankly, when the park opens at 10am, by noon we've done everything several times and done a few laps in the lazy river. Usually we're done by 2pm.

The first time we went to a Disney waterpark, I thought it would be similar to a park opening. I made my family arrive 45 minutes before opening. My husband was annoyed and my kids were complaining because we were the only ones there for quite a while. I felt guilty about making them get up early until a CM asked us if we wanted to be the Family of The Day.

45 minutes is too early...we do 30. By the time we park and get everything gathered and get to the turnstiles its about 20. Takes 5-10 to get thru turnstile/bagcheck. This leaves you 10-15 minutes to hit the restroom, grab a locker if you are inclined, decide which side you are heading to and get to the rope hold. We wait about 10 minutes there but worth it to be able to ride one of the big slides right off the bat twice in a row without ever really pausing for a line......

45 minutes is too early...we do 30. By the time we park and get everything gathered and get to the turnstiles its about 20. Takes 5-10 to get thru turnstile/bagcheck. This leaves you 10-15 minutes to hit the restroom, grab a locker if you are inclined, decide which side you are heading to and get to the rope hold. We wait about 10 minutes there but worth it to be able to ride one of the big slides right off the bat twice in a row without ever really pausing for a line......

I agree, 45 minutes was too early. The only saving grace was getting some pixie dust.

We arrive at water parks 5 min early via uber or Lyft. We have never experienced bag check (including trips this summer). We join the group waiting for rope drop and easily find a shaded area and hit the slides with no wait. We never remember our way around the park trip to trip but still manage to find a shady spot and hit all the slides very easily with little to no waits. (For some reason we find the layout of the parks very confusing). We do all the ones we want then the wave pool and lazy river. Lunch around 12-1 and go back to our resort usually via bus. We aren’t people who ever spend a full day at a water park.

My husband to this day laughs/jokes about his childhood trip to Typhoon Lagoon in October of '96. They showed up 90 MINUTES before park opening and they have video of them in the parking lot with ZERO cars. My husband said people started showing up about 10 minutes prior to opening and even then it was a trickle. I guess one way it paid off for them though is they were "Family of the Day" and got some special seating or something. I don't even know if they do that anymore.

Needless to say, after this childhood "trauma" we very rarely (if ever) do rope drops because DH is adamantly against it (he made an exception for our upcoming trip to catch FOP). LOL

Reactions: rlk
I will say the water shoes may be a good idea. My daughter and my feet are killing us. The bottom of the wave pool is like sandpaper

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter