BLT 2-bedroom 10 months out

bam117

Earning My Ears
I am trying to rent points for a 2-bedroom at BLT the first week in Nov 2018. I just submitted the request through David's on Tuesday, and right now I'm in the queue waiting for them to find an owner with the points. Just curious what you think my chances are? Or if anyone has any advice? This is my first trip to Disney (well aside from when I was 7 ;)), and obviously first time renting points. Do I try another broker while I wait? Nervous about losing the deposit that way.

The availability isn't why you are waiting, it is very unlikely for that category to sell out before the 7-month window except for the most desired days of the year, you are just waiting for a BLT owner to put their points up for rental. It takes time to get specific home resorts, especially on the monorail loop. I wouldn't worry even if it takes a few weeks, you have plenty of time before the 7-month window opens. I definitely would not put the request in with another broker.

Ah, I hadn't thought of Jersey Week. But being 10 months out still gives plenty of time before the 7-month window opens. And 2-bedroom lake views are often the slowest to book, even at BLT. Since OP (BTW Welcome to the forum bam117!) has only been waiting a couple of days it is definitely early to start worrying. Give it a couple weeks. BLT owners are offered a premium for their points if rented out during the Home Booking period and with the 11-month window for Christmas time coming up BLT owners not planning to use their points have an incentive to get those points on the market soon.

You have two issues. The first is having someone with enough BLT points to provide the rental. If David's finds someone quickly then chances are good to get what you want, but if there is a wait of any length, the risk of not getting the time you want increases significantly on a weekly basis. You are now less than 10 months out from that time period, and if by early November, you are including Nov 1 to 4, then you could be blocked out for at least a day or two of that time within the next fews weeks, because that is Wine & Dine race weekend THE highest DVC demand weekend of the year

In my opinion David's is the best on the market (full disclosure I have not had a reason to try anyone else). They will get back to you if they cannot find the points and offer some other choices should you decide to take one of those. You always have the option to decline and get a full refund of your deposit. You can always send an email to check in. They have always been really responsive for me. My guess is that they have not had a match for your points, resort and time frame.

Thanks for your replies everyone!! Right now my requested dates are Nov 5-10, so after the Wine and Dine race. I guess my dates aren't set in stone but I was hoping sometime in Oct or Nov. When I asked David's about changing my dates it didn't seem to matter too much.
Is there a point where I should start to worry and if so, does anyone have a recommendation for Plan B?

Did you put in alternative choices or just the one when you sent in the request? Are you set on BLT (I can't blame you if you are; that's my home resort). :) I would just send an email and get an update. I think you have time. Even up until the 7-month window hits then all bets are off.

Plan B would be alternate resort choices, but I would definitely give it some time. The reason that moving your dates around wouldn't affect it is that room availability is not the issue at this time. Because of the time frame David's needs someone to come to them offering to rent out their BLT points.

To try to illustrate it: I own Saratoga Springs (SSR) points, while DduzDis above owns Bay Lake Tower (BLT). If either of us wanted to book for November right now I could only book at SSR and D could only book at BLT. So even if I went to David's right now and put all my points up for rent they couldn't be used anywhere except SSR. And if D wanted to book at the Polynesian those BLT points wouldn't be able to book there. Between 11 months and 7 months owners can only book at their home resort. Now at 7 months, that changes. At the 7-month mark I can take my SSR points and use them to book BLT, which is exactly what I did for our last trip and I was on as soon as that window opened.

So that is why you are waiting, even though rooms are available. They might have plenty of owners looking to rent out their points, but if they aren't BLT points then they can't make it happen yet. But you are on the list (perhaps a question to ask them: how many others are ahead of you on that BLT list) and as soon as you are the top of the list and they get someone renting enough points to fill your request then they will book it for you.

Thanks again! Yeah I just wasn't sure if I should give them a back up week in case by the time the points are available, the room/week combo isn't. Good idea to ask how many ahead of me!

DduzDis I did put alternate choices in my original request and actually none of them had availability (originally wanted BLT standard view), so they sent me a list of what was available (including BLT lake view) so I went with that :) I'm not dead set on BLT but I will be traveling with my 2 and 5 year old and the location as well as being on the monorail was what makes me want to stay there more so than any other.

Also I had to google Jersey Week ;) Hope that isn't an issue!

Thanks again! Yeah I just wasn't sure if I should give them a back up week in case by the time the points are available, the room/week combo isn't. Good idea to ask how many ahead of me!

DduzDis I did put alternate choices in my original request and actually none of them had availability (originally wanted BLT standard view), so they sent me a list of what was available (including BLT lake view) so I went with that :) I'm not dead set on BLT but I will be traveling with my 2 and 5 year old and the location as well as being on the monorail was what makes me want to stay there more so than any other.

Also I had to google Jersey Week ;) Hope that isn't an issue!

I have 5 and 2 year olds as well. It is a pretty great location for them. Good luck!!

It actually doesn't matter "how many are ahead of you." The waiting group is non-linear. It's more of a bunch sprint.

So, you need a 2BR for November 5-10. Jane is on their list for BLT, too -- she is after a studio for October 31-November 4. So she needs far, far fewer points than you do. And, as owners, we get to opt into which booking we plan to make. So if a BLT owner with the points for a studio shows up, even if Jane, and three other studio requests came in two weeks after your request, your request won't be dealt with.

Right, got it. I was more thinking if anyone was ahead of me with my same request type and dates but again probably doesn't matter much at this point. Thanks again!

You won't get a BLT standard view at seven months out. As it looks right now, only some of your days are available. You need to go with Lake view or change resorts.

You have several options for Plan B.

Book a resort on cash - DVC usually sells out - and at that time of year does so fairly quickly....but there will usually be cash rooms at Disney long after DVC books up. And there will certainly be offsite resorts with rooms.

Book a different resort. VAKL isn't on the monorail loop, but David probably has an owner ready to go if you want to lock something in. While its buses everywhere (or renting a car), with kids your age the Savannah is magical. David probably also has an owner waiting with SSR points - again, buses everywhere, but the pool is one of the best on property for little ones.

However, that time of year will book nearly completely before the seven month window opens - getting a complete set of days even out at SSR or VAKL will be tough at six and a half months. So whatever you decide, I'd book something sooner than later - or go with cash.

I am in a similar boat with same question. Put in a request for studio villa at Polynesian in mid-Oct and they have availability, but waiting on points. I'm wondering what the odds are that they will get the points before the villas sell out. And David's didn't actually offer me any other choices (I had a 2nd choice which was already sold out). How often do points become available?

I am in a similar boat with same question. Put in a request for studio villa at Polynesian in mid-Oct and they have availability, but waiting on points. I'm wondering what the odds are that they will get the points before the villas sell out. And David's didn't actually offer me any other choices (I had a 2nd choice which was already sold out). How often do points become available?
David's deals with owners selling points daily. The issue is alignment of home resort, use year and points required. Poly is oft-requested and while the points are more common than they were, there are many more requests than renting points.

David's deals with owners selling points daily. The issue is alignment of home resort, use year and points required. Poly is oft-requested and while the points are more common than they were, there are many more requests than renting points.
Renters want studios most of the time and studios are the first to book up by owners. Renters want the villas closest to the parks; so do owners. Renters want to pay the seven month price; owners want the premium price or they want to use the points themselves. Renters want the newest resorts; owners at those resorts want to use their points at their home resort while it is still new and because that is why they bought it.

Mid-Oct is an extremely popular time with owners because of Columbus Day holiday, Food & Wine, Mickey's Halloween parties. I booked my mid-October nights at my home resort as soon as I was able to do it. If I were you, I'd plan different dates or different location or pay Disney directly.

Polynesian villas are close to selling out or are already sold out. That means all the owners who bought enough points to book those studios are booking those studios. That also means that the points that represent the bungalows are waiting to be used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter