Brazil - the next likely pavilion

Greece would be perfect! you already have a popular movie out and the food would be amazing. think about all the Hercules and Hades merchandise :cloud9: the 90's kids would run each other down to get to a Herc ride.

I think Greece would be great and I think it would look beautiful as well. Disney seems hesitant to utilize stories that they don't have the "definitive" version of in the parks though (no much Hercules, Sword in the Stone, etc.)

Budgets and projects always get cut - not really a new situation with Disney. AK was originally supposed to have Beastly Kingdom but due to budgets had to pick either that or Dinoland, not both .... heck, when Disneyland first opened there were tons of just open land and stuff as they didn't have time or money to complete

Yeah, but we're not talking about my lemonade stand back when I was 7. Disney makes so much money that they can pay ahead. It's not like they are going to go bankrupt. They own their company, plus Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar, which will make them 100's of billions of dollars.

I don't see Universal cutting back when their creating whole new lands like Harry Potter. So I'm not giving Disney any more excuses. Pay ahead and don't make us, the people foot the bill. I'm sick of giving Disney this gigantic crutch.

Last edited:
Yeah, but we're not talking about my lemonade stand back when I was 7. Disney makes so much money that they can pay ahead. It's not like they are going to go bankrupt. They own their company, plus Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar, which make them 100's of billions of dollars.

I don't see Universal cutting back when their creating whole new lands like Harry Potter. I'm sick of giving Disney this crutch.

Everyone keeps saying that Disney has all this money - but they are a public company, they are not just going to go through all the money they have just because they can. They have earnings targets and budgets, etc.

I don't follow Universal as much, but haven't they cut back on some scenes in Forbidden Journey where there were more death eaters? and they tried 3D with it and it didn't work? And for all the knocks on Disney not having a lot of rides in the new lands, doesn't each Harry Potter Land basically have one ride?

Again, I think Universal is doing a better job overall of late and certainly seems to do things quicker - but it isn't like they are batting 1.000 and Disney completely sucks

Greece is effectively in Universal if you are going the Greek gods/myths route...Poseidon's Fury and Mythos restaurant. No reason to try to compete, when there are 100s of countries still available...

Everyone keeps saying that Disney has all this money - but they are a public company, they are not just going to go through all the money they have just because they can. They have earnings targets and budgets, etc.

I don't follow Universal as much, but haven't they cut back on some scenes in Forbidden Journey where there were more death eaters? and they tried 3D with it and it didn't work? And for all the knocks on Disney not having a lot of rides in the new lands, doesn't each Harry Potter Land basically have one ride?

Again, I think Universal is doing a better job overall of late and certainly seems to do things quicker - but it isn't like they are batting 1.000 and Disney completely sucks

Believe me Scrooge McDisney has plenty of money. They couldn't possibly go through all their money. They aren't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. Disney is making a huge profit that they are just putting into a vault and swimming in it. 30 dollar shirts that are sold in the parks probably cost like 25 cents to make. So they can afford to pay ahead on things.

Universal has made lands, rides and a new waterpark in America. In that same amount of time Disney has mostly done overlays, parking garages and hotels. All while upcharging people to fund those things and Shanghai, which most of us will never see in real life.

Believe me Scrooge McDisney has plenty of money. They couldn't possibly go through all their money. They aren't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. Disney is making a huge profit that they are just putting into a vault and swimming in it. 30 dollar shirts that are sold in the parks probably cost like 25 cents to make. So they can afford to pay ahead on things.

Universal has made lands, rides and a new waterpark in America. In that same amount of time Disney has mostly done overlays, parking garages and hotels. All while upcharging people to fund those things and Shanghai, which most of us will never see in real life.

of course Disney has money - but it wouldn't be make business sense to just spend every last penny you have

Latest number I saw shows them with 43.3bn in equity - which is down 1.5bn from 2 years ago ... Comcast has 53.9bn in equity - so we could say the same thing that they have plenty of money and should spend more

Maybe Disney should start charging for front of the line like Universal does ... or make an attraction that you have to have park hoppers to ride like Universal does

Can't imagine a country like Brazil with the turmoil going on in that country would be able to financially support such a Pavillion at Epcot. This won't bring them back, very few can afford it

Can't imagine a country like Brazil with the turmoil going on in that country would be able to financially support such a Pavillion at Epcot. This won't bring them back, very few can afford it
The country doesn't have to pay for it. Disney could or some other corporation. All but one country in world Showcase is not funded by its home country.

Coming soon to Epcot... Brazil.

Rio-gay-pride-500x338.jpg

travel-file-2427-600-500.jpg

98a0003ea6e77b9a61b5fa5e47ea74e1.jpg

Greece is effectively in Universal if you are going the Greek gods/myths route...Poseidon's Fury and Mythos restaurant. No reason to try to compete, when there are 100s of countries still available...

Yeah, that is a stretch .... hardly a land ... but even as one it is considered ancient myths, not Greek. Sinbad is more Arabian, there is an Atlantis take, the Merlin area became Harry Potter ... it's referred to Lost Continent (not Greek either) and Lost City. And the remaining part of Lost Continent may be facing a major change or re-theme.

Countries do not pay or support the pavilions other than Morocco - which is why it's the least "commercial" of them. The countries that used to have sponsors were from corporations but since Epcot is no longer a plus, and they are able to reach way more people in other ways, the money has dried up.

Universal is playing catch up though. Disney still has a lot more to do and see- they don't need to build as badly. And the HP lands are really immersive but pp is right, not much to actually do in either. About the same as pandora with the exception of maybe more shopping in HP.

Universal is playing catch up though. Disney still has a lot more to do and see- they don't need to build as badly. And the HP lands are really immersive but pp is right, not much to actually do in either. About the same as pandora with the exception of maybe more shopping in HP.

Yeah, but it took Universal about 3 years to make it. While Disney took about 6 years to develop and construct Pandora. It feels like Disney has only one overweight worker running the cranes.

"Pedro as soon as you're done with Pandora you gotta start on Star Wars. Bob Iger doesn't want to come down here from his ivory tower. You know how he gets when he has to actually do stuff."

"Sí, Sí. I work." his boss then leaves and closes the door. "Stupid Gringo. I'll work, work on this joint."

Pedro is played in this scene by the legendary Cheech Marin.

Last edited:
HP Land has 2 roller coasters (one family friendly, one not family friendly - yes, this one got reskinned), a train ride per land (since the ride is different both ways), an epic e-ticket per land, a small wand selection show per land, a character meet and greet in each land, and 2 small stage shows done every day in each land ...not to mention the paid "wand entertainment" and the flaming dragon as more spectacle...that's a lot more entertainment than "1 ride per land"...

HP Land has 2 roller coasters (one family friendly, one not family friendly - yes, this one got reskinned), a train ride per land (since the ride is different both ways), an epic e-ticket per land, a small wand selection show per land, a character meet and greet in each land, and 2 small stage shows done every day in each land ...not to mention the paid "wand entertainment" and the flaming dragon as more spectacle...that's a lot more entertainment than "1 ride per land"...
Well the hogwarts section already has two rides that they rethemed. So they each got like one and a half because the train runs through both sections. They do have a ton of ambiance things to do from what I've seen though that make up for it

Oh, I agree about Russia - love the history, the food, the unknown-ness of it. But, with the climate - ouch, that would be a tough sell. I would love to see Russian foods and an ice-cold Vodka bar, though.

I am deep in some travelogue books about various Caribbean islands (currently reading about Anguilla) and I am just in love it all. The more laid back life, the weather, the history, the food.

I agree that Russia (if you can put aside the political issues) would make a great pavilion. Picture a replica of St. Basil's cathedral (visually stunning) and shops stocked with Matryoshka nesting dolls. The food and the vodka bar would be a hit. I'm just not sure what kind of ride or other attraction would work though.

I personally would like to see them add Greece. There is so much good food, architecture and history there that could easily be translated into a Disney country with a ride, movie, shopping, restaurants and a bar - in other words everything they need to make money. Don't forget Disney had a movie on Hercules so IP could be incorporated pretty easily.

I agree that Russia (if you can put aside the political issues) would make a great pavilion. Picture a replica of St. Basil's cathedral (visually stunning) and shops stocked with Matryoshka nesting dolls. The food and the vodka bar would be a hit. I'm just not sure what kind of ride or other attraction would work though.

I personally would like to see them add Greece. There is so much good food, architecture and history there that could easily be translated into a Disney country with a ride, movie, shopping, restaurants and a bar - in other words everything they need to make money. Don't forget Disney had a movie on Hercules so IP could be incorporated pretty easily.

I think you could make a pretty cool ride for Russia _ maybe a trackless system where the ride vehicle is one of those big snow sleds and you go through the streets of Moscow and over to Siberia and stuff like that.

I think Greece would be my 1a choice (for the reasons you site) and India would be my first choice (for similar reasons but with the added Bollywood influence I think could really make for an excited pavilion and attraction/show)

If Disney did Greece, it wouldn't just be a so-so ride and a so-so restaurant (we weren't impressed with either). You would walk through a pavilion and feel immersed in Greek culture and history, something you don't remotely get at Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter