Cake Bake Shop at the BoardWalk opening in 2024

Yet, somehow Flying Fish doesn’t seem to suffer. Not sure if it’s because it’s dinner only (and a res gets you in the lot?) or it gets a huge percentage of folks from Crescent Lake hotels and park transportation. Cake Bake shop May “fit” aesthetically, but it seems to have many potential pitfalls being situated on the Boardwalk. OTOH, I’m often wrong about what will and won’t work at WDW. (I thought ESPN Club was genius).
And I "think" Cake Bake will have a lot more seats to fill than FF.

Yet, somehow Flying Fish doesn’t seem to suffer. Not sure if it’s because it’s dinner only (and a res gets you in the lot?) or it gets a huge percentage of folks from Crescent Lake hotels and park transportation. Cake Bake shop May “fit” aesthetically, but it seems to have many potential pitfalls being situated on the Boardwalk. OTOH, I’m often wrong about what will and won’t work at WDW. (I thought ESPN Club was genius).
A beer or two plus a meal and. A game aren’t quite comparable to an overpriced piece of cake and maybe some bad tea

I think Flying Fish is outstanding but I rarely, if ever, have a problem securing a reservation or getting a walk-up.

Probably Epic. I think that’s the more reliable horse in this race.
It’s obvious whatever general contractor DIsney has been using for the various projects is saving $ by not having timely completion schedules in place.

U is very smart to use a different tactic & have their various projects on fast track.

of course, as we do stay at BWV often, that could just be the old crank in me talking. IMO we’ve been given the short shift for ages as to CS options and the quality of both the departed ESPN & brewery. At least we could walk to Epcot

It’s obvious whatever general contractor DIsney has been using for the various projects is saving $ by not having timely completion schedules in place.

U is very smart to use a different tactic & have their various projects on fast track.

of course, as we do stay at BWV often, that could just be the old crank in me talking. IMO we’ve been given the short shift for ages as to CS options and the quality of both the departed ESPN & brewery. At least we could walk to Epcot
I don't know if Disney is doing Cake Bake, or if it's their own people. Could be they used the same people that did Tron :rotfl2:

We have an interstate project near us that is taking forever because the project didn't include bonus for early completion and no penalties for delay. The contractor is utilizing zero overtime.

Take this for what it’s worth (perhaps not much) but there’s a rumor out there that the Cake Bake Shop folks were very aggressive in trying to convince Disney to develop a WDW location, and that they may have financially overextended themselves with the commitments they made to get this one up and running.

Take this for what it’s worth (perhaps not much) but there’s a rumor out there that the Cake Bake Shop folks were very aggressive in trying to convince Disney to develop a WDW location, and that they may have financially overextended themselves with the commitments they made to get this one up and running.
That’s what it seems like to me.

I think the delays have had more to do with Cake Bake shop than anyone else.

Also, ESPN Club was cancelled by the restauranteur that Disney partnered with. Big River Grille was cancelled by the company that operated it.

That's the problem with third parties - their interests may not align with yours.

I question it. Disney has been in the business long enough to know how to check on a potential tenants solvency. Not only would they have been checked for the ability to complete the build-out, they would have been evaluated for the their ability to remain solvent enough to survive for a time period operating at a loss while paying rent. If they were having solvency issues a few months into the build out Disney is a horrible commercial landlord- which I don’t think* they are considering how long they’ve turned a profit in this industry.

*Unless His Highness Cheapek dismissed all the red flags and decided he knew best. Which now that I type that out is entirely possible 🤦🏻‍♀️

ETA- LOL YUP. Went back and looked at the timing, this baby was negotiated under Cheapek. They could totally be financially screwed and Disney could be in a legal bind depending on what they signed waiting for this Cake shop to figure it out or go bust. Wow… (@gatordoc I no longer question it)

Last edited:
…ESPN Club was cancelled by the restauranteur that Disney partnered with. Big River Grille was cancelled by the company that operated it.

That's the problem with third parties - their interests may not align with yours.
That’s not really how this all works. They would have all had leases which would have come to an end not just cancelled at their discretion. At the time the lease ended they would have been kicked out/chose to leave or had an option to extend/chose not to extend. Alternatively they can negotiate to exit their lease early or declare bankruptcy. They can’t just be like “peace out, my interests align with that moon over there today”.

I question it. Disney has been in the business long enough to know how to check on a potential tenants solvency. Not only would they have been checked for the ability to complete the build-out, they would have been evaluated for the their ability to remain solvent enough to survive for a time period operating at a loss while paying rent. If they were having solvency issues a few months into the build out Disney is a horrible commercial landlord- which I don’t think* they are considering how long they’ve turned a profit in this industry.

*Unless His Highness Cheapek dismissed all the red flags and decided he knew best. Which now that I type that out is entirely possible 🤦🏻‍♀️

ETA- LOL YUP. Went back and looked at the timing, this baby was negotiated under Cheapek. They could totally be financially screwed and Disney could be in a legal bind depending on what they signed waiting for this Cake shop to figure it out or go bust. Wow… (@gatordoc I no longer question it)
I’m not sure that it’s a question of the current financial health of the company as much as it may be rethinking the projected profitability

I’m not sure that it’s a question of the current financial health of the company as much as it may be rethinking the projected profitability
You don’t get to rethink projected profitability after signing on the dotted line. But, if Disney was too stupid to put a required operational date in the lease or link it to bad financial consequences, I guess the company could do the build out as slow as they think they can get by with while hoping their projections for $20/slice cakes look rosier next year. Could Cheapek really have signed such a bad lease? Anything is possible but that would have been SO stupid. Especially if the rumor that the tenant pushed Disney hard for the lease is true. If the tenant pushed hard for the lease it should have been written more in the landlords favor because the tenant is more likely to just sign to get their lease asap.

I wonder if the delay is actually Disney’s. Weren’t there rumors of pretty large infrastructure issues (I feel like it was with regards to water) causing delays in all the refurbing of BWI/BWV? If there are underlying issues with the build site Cake bake Shop might not be able to complete their build out on schedule.

Whatever the reasons, it's gotten pretty ridiculous at this point. Cake Bake, Ample Hills, other restaurant closures, quick service lacking, and no easy refill station etc makes me doubt anyone really wants to improve the guest experience here.

With all this, we still love the BWI and stay there every year including part of our split stay this summer. The vibe and location just feel right, but I feel that they just don't want to put any more work into it than they have to.

We stayed for a quick Christmas visit at YC and had such an easier time getting dinner to go and quick service BF items. We already have plans to walk over there this summer for those same items, but we shouldn't have to for the money spent.

I'm still puzzled as to why this cake shop will even exist, or survive for long.

Will they have things other than cake? Presumably so because this is a pretty big facility. I don't understand why it would need to be that big for people to eat just a piece of cake.

Yes, I know that there is a whole "restaurant" at DS that just does cookies. But this seems to be much more than a counter service place.

After the new wears off and the bloggers have all visited and posted their reviews, how popular will a place that features cake be? Maybe they can combine it with an ice cream place? Even then, what is the continuing attraction?

:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter