Votes: 82 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Certain recipes

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
I love to bake too, but neither of us needs the calories so I don't do it very often anymore. And generally when I do bake something I share it with others so we don't have 5 dozen cookies or a big cake here to eat all by ourselves. :)

Anytime you feel like baking, you can just send me the goodies and I will make the sacrifice and take those calories, lol.
Sorry, I am having a bad sweet tooth episode right now.

Yes, I am a good cook and a good baker. People compliment me so I assume they like it too.

Same. I love to cook and bake. I've never made something that wasn't well liked. It's one of my gifts. People who can't cook really confound me.

I have a few things that I cook well and people request. Mostly though, I can follow a recipe. (I'm not great at "freestyle" cooking.) I don't really enjoy cooking that much so I tend to stick with simple meals. And, it always seems to taste better to me when someone else has made dinner.

I do enjoy baking. It's just hard to find the time.

My mom owned a catering business and taught me everything she knew, except baking....I'm a HORRIBLE baker!!

I like to cook and think I am pretty good-I collect cook books and enjoy them like a novel- unfortunately for all my married with children life- more than 30 years I have cooked for the pickiest bunch ever

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/cfxXe"><a href="//imgur.com/cfxXe"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/cfxXe"><a href="//imgur.com/cfxXe"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I like to cook and think I am pretty good-I collect cook books and enjoy them like a novel- unfortunately for all my married with children life- more than 30 years I have cooked for the pickiest bunch ever
My children weren't "allowed" to be picky. It was food, I paid for it, and cooked it soooooooo ya better eat it;). Worked well since they were eating "flucosises" (translation: people who eat anything that's not nailed down).

My DGD is of a completely different generation in all senses of the word.
She is just now thinking about eating cheese, won't eat anything with gravy or sauce, thinks mushrooms are fungi (well they are but but..) and once chastised me when I made sausage patties instead of links (mind you I ground the meat and seasoned it myself) saying:" Noonie, can't you even get the shape right?"

One Christmas I made a croquembouche at her request because it looked "cute" in a book on holiday treats. It's profiteroles stuffed with pastry cream and glued together with caramel and covered with spun sugar. here's the version I made:

https://imgur.com/a/cfxXe

She refused to eat it becauseeeeeee the pastry cream looked like raw beaten eggs in her mind. Sighhhh.
On the bright side everyone else enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I did all the cooking in our household for 17 years. My wife is a wonderful cook, but I worked overnights, and she worked 9 am to 6 pm, and it made no sense for her to get home at 630 and start fixing dinner when i get up, pick the kids up from school, fix dinner and we could sit down and eat at 630 pm. It ended when our youngest hit high school, and I moved to a day shift, and my wife moved to an 8 am to 5 pm shift and could have dinner on the table at 6 pm.

I'm a very good cook. I used to work in catering and those skills have served me well. I am also an excellent baker. Love to do both. Basically, I can make anything I set my mind to.

Yes, I consider myself to be a pretty good cook. That doesn’t necessarily mean that I look forward to making meals every single day. I can bake, too, but I’m not as big a fan of baking. My daughter enjoys baking more than I do, so I usually leave that up to her.

I did all the cooking in our household for 17 years. My wife is a wonderful cook, but I worked overnights, and she worked 9 am to 6 pm, and it made no sense for her to get home at 630 and start fixing dinner when i get up, pick the kids up from school, fix dinner and we could sit down and eat at 630 pm. It ended when our youngest hit high school, and I moved to a day shift, and my wife moved to an 8 am to 5 pm shift and could have dinner on the table at 6 pm.
The ex and I had different schedules but I came to the conclusion that our ideas about cooking differed and he was eventually banned from working in my kitchen. Yes, I said my...it was the only space that belonged exclusively to me since I was surrounded by one man and two wannabes. I did teach my sons how to cook but according to their SOs the lessons might not have taken too well. I'm still the person who organises and implements holiday meals so guess I'll learn what that generation learned later. This year's Disney vac in December will be my first foray into not hosting Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Hanukah, Kwanzaa or New Year's Eve.
Hope it's freeing as I think it will be.

The current man is a sharpshooting medal winning 'Nam era US Army cook (really) and is only allowed to prep veggies. He thinks I don't know that he nevah washes veggies before cutting but yessssssssss I do and although annoying to rinse veggies after they have been minced/chopped, I do, because life is too short. I just assume he thinks he's still out in the jungle. He's on board for our Disney vac since for years he's felt I should get a caterer for December. Keep telling him I'm not his mother who felt Publix could answer any question.

Last edited:
Yes....I can cook and enjoy it most of the time. Need a break now and then.
I also cook 2 meals a week for DS and his family....and a family meal at my house once a week

I LOVE to bake!
Wow you are really a nice mom to cook twice a week for your son and his family.

NOPE! I am horrible at it and I do not like doing it. Luckily my SO loves it and is fantastic

My children weren't "allowed" to be picky. It was food, I paid for it, and cooked it soooooooo ya better eat it;). Worked well since they were eating "flucosises" (translation: people who eat anything that's not nailed down).

My DGD is of a completely different generation in all senses of the word.
She is just now thinking about eating cheese, won't eat anything with gravy or sauce, thinks mushrooms are fungi (well they are but but..) and once chastised me when I made sausage patties instead of links (mind you I ground the meat and seasoned it myself) saying:" Noonie, can't you even get the shape right?"

One Christmas I made a croquembouche at her request because it looked "cute" in a book on holiday treats. It's profiteroles stuffed with pastry cream and glued together with caramel and covered with spun sugar. here's the version I made:

IMG_1431_zpsad0952b5.jpg

She refused to eat it becauseeeeeee the pastry cream looked like raw beaten eggs in her mind. Sighhhh.
On the bright side everyone else enjoyed it.

That croque en bouche looks great. I'm always hoping someone will make one during the holiday. I know I'm a terrible baker so I think it'd be a disaster if I tried making one. I just drop hints to the good bakers in the family. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked yet so no croque en bouche for me.
To answer the original question. I'm a pretty good cook. Baking is a whole different story.

DW & I had a similar arrangement for a couple years. I worked 7-3:30 and she worked 10-6:00. She'd get dinner "lined up" in the morning & I'd have it ready when she got home. Then, our schedules basically flipped, and she's been doing the cooking ever since.

I can cook well when following a recipe. Not good at free-style cooking or winging it.

I can cook very basic things like mashed potatoes (with real potatoes, which is basically just peeling and cutting them, cooking them, draining, mashing and adding milk/butter.).

If it's a recipe passed down from my Mom (who was a great cook) to me, and I've made it many many times before without looking at the recipe, then I do pretty well.

I can do enough to get by, but definitely not what you'd call a talented or natural good cook.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter