Canadian Disney Gift Cards for trip?

Hmm, weird, when I went to purchase them it didn't work. It kept asking me for a US shipping address.
I think maybe this might be a recent change. I’m sure I did this with no issues in 2018. But when I tried a few months ago to buy some e gift cards with US PayPal funds I had (wanted to pay my DVC dues and avoid double conversion fees) - it would not let me.

Hmm, weird, when I went to purchase them it didn't work. It kept asking me for a US shipping address.
It defaults to US mailing address but click on the link that says edit or change address and then just select your saved Canadian address and where is says US shipping it will change to International. Hope that makes sense.

It defaults to US mailing address but click on the link that says edit or change address and then just select your saved Canadian address and where is says US shipping it will change to International. Hope that makes sense.

The problem for me in January was that it would not accept my Canadian billing address (which is what was associated with my PayPal) . I even tried to use a US shipping address - but kept getting an error. After calling both PayPal and Disney I was told it was not possible to buy e gift cards in US funds unless you had US billing address. I am thinking this is a change, as I definitely did purchase them back in 2018.

The problem for me in January was that it would not accept my Canadian billing address (which is what was associated with my PayPal) . I even tried to use a US shipping address - but kept getting an error. After calling both PayPal and Disney I was told it was not possible to buy e gift cards in US funds unless you had US billing address. I am thinking this is a change, as I definitely did purchase them back in 2018.

I still purchase one every payday. I have never used Paypal on shop disney so not sure if that has something to do with it. I've bought about a dozen of them since we booked our trip in the fall.

I still purchase one every payday. I have never used Paypal on shop disney so not sure if that has something to do with it. I've bought about a dozen of them since we booked our trip in the fall.
Oh maybe that is the difference- I am needing to use PayPal as I have US funds sitting in that account due to renting out some of our DVC points. I want to buy US gift cards with that money to pay our annual dues. But was told with a Canadian billing address (perhaps specific to PayPal) it was not possible. But good to know it is possible with a regular credit card.

Oh maybe that is the difference- I am needing to use PayPal as I have US funds sitting in that account due to renting out some of our DVC points. I want to buy US gift cards with that money to pay our annual dues. But was told with a Canadian billing address (perhaps specific to PayPal) it was not possible. But good to know it is possible with a regular credit card.
We are in the same position. We tried to do it in January and couldn't. I even used Old Key West address as my US shipping address and it wouldn't accept it. It is possible to buy them with a credit card but it doesn't solve the exchange problem and it still leaves us with the predicament of how to spend our US$ in the PayPal account. We can transfer it to our bank but they only give you about $1350 CAD for $1000 USD when the bank is charging you about $1450 CAD to buy $1000 USD. We need DVC to start accepting PayPal to pay our annual dues. I don't know why they wont, Disney lets you shop with PayPal (if you're at a US address).

Adding onto this older thread rather than creating a new one.

I have USD in my paypal account, that I would eventually like to use to buy Disney E-gift cards and use them to pay off my DVC dues.
For reference, I have a US shipping address for cross border pickups, and I put that as my US shipping address, and then purchase e-gift cards. Others have mentioned being able to do this on the target website. However, today I tried it, and while I could add it to my cart, when I tried to check out via paypal I got an error message when redirected back to Target. I also tried on Walmart.com - while it seemed to go through, I ended up getting a refund from Paypal. I suspect in both cases it is because the US based shipping address I put down on the site does not match my address in my Paypal account (and I can't seem to add my US shipping address as a secondary address in Paypal).

I can try to purchase actual US gift cards and have them be shipped to my US shipping address, but I'm a bit nervous about that if purchasing in large amounts.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone had success purchasing Disney e-gift cards (that are in USD) using your paypal balance? If so, which stores, and any tricks?
2. Has any Canadians been able to buy USD Disney gift cards anywhere at discounted rates? I realize there is a whole long post elsewhere on these boards with offers for those living in the states, but most seem to require some form of paid membership (e.g. Sam's Club) or is difficult for non-Americans to sign up for. I see that I can sign up for a free one-day membership at BJ's but they only offer physical gift cards.

Last edited:

We are in the same position. We tried to do it in January and couldn't. I even used Old Key West address as my US shipping address and it wouldn't accept it. It is possible to buy them with a credit card but it doesn't solve the exchange problem and it still leaves us with the predicament of how to spend our US$ in the PayPal account. We can transfer it to our bank but they only give you about $1350 CAD for $1000 USD when the bank is charging you about $1450 CAD to buy $1000 USD. We need DVC to start accepting PayPal to pay our annual dues. I don't know why they wont, Disney lets you shop with PayPal (if you're at a US address).

update:
Was able to purchase a digital gift card (USD) and pay for it with my USD Paypal balance.
you have to put it in the same address as what is in your Paypal account. It accepted a Canadian shipping address for 'delivery' of the digital card that got sent to my email address. However, it won't accept a Canadian address for any physical item in your cart.

Adding onto this older thread rather than creating a new one.

I have USD in my paypal account, that I would eventually like to use to buy Disney E-gift cards and use them to pay off my DVC dues.
For reference, I have a US shipping address for cross border pickups, and I put that as my US shipping address, and then purchase e-gift cards. Others have mentioned being able to do this on the target website. However, today I tried it, and while I could add it to my cart, when I tried to check out via paypal I got an error message when redirected back to Target. I also tried on Walmart.com - while it seemed to go through, I ended up getting a refund from Paypal. I suspect in both cases it is because the US based shipping address I put down on the site does not match my address in my Paypal account (and I can't seem to add my US shipping address as a secondary address in Paypal).

I can try to purchase actual US gift cards and have them be shipped to my US shipping address, but I'm a bit nervous about that if purchasing in large amounts.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone had success purchasing Disney e-gift cards (that are in USD) using your paypal balance? If so, which stores, and any tricks?
2. Has any Canadians been able to buy USD Disney gift cards anywhere at discounted rates? I realize there is a whole long post elsewhere on these boards with offers for those living in the states, but most seem to require some form of paid membership (e.g. Sam's Club) or is difficult for non-Americans to sign up for. I see that I can sign up for a free one-day membership at BJ's but they only offer physical gift cards.

I buy e-gift cards directly from the Disney gift card site using my US paypal balance. I've done it twice. The second time they called me to verify my purchase. I don't know if that was because of my Canadian address, but as soon as they verified they released the card.

Unless I can get the cards at a discount, say with my Walmart employee discount, I wont buy Disney gift cards again. They just dont provide an advantage. I used them on my last trip but I would rather use my new US dollar credit card. And, if the trip is cancelled for whatever reason, the gift cards just sit there, losing (or maybe gaining) value as time goes on, but never redeemable for cash. Disney now has your money, you have cute plastic cards.

Does anybody know if you can still find gift cards at stores like Loblaws, WalMart etc? I'm wondering with Disney closing all their Canadian retail space this summer if they might not be around anymore.

Does anybody know if you can still find gift cards at stores like Loblaws, WalMart etc? I'm wondering with Disney closing all their Canadian retail space this summer if they might not be around anymore.

I purchased at Rexall, Shell, Metro & Petro in October and have seen them there since.

Seen them at some Shoppers Drug Marts, Sobeys and Save on Foods.

They’re definitely still available out here on the west coast. But I’m more nervous to buy them. Before if anything went wrong with the trip, at least you could spend some at the Disney store as a back-up.

Just saw them at Real Canadian Superstore, Walmart and Shoppers Drug Mart here in the GTA last week.

Unless I can get the cards at a discount, say with my Walmart employee discount, I wont buy Disney gift cards again. They just dont provide an advantage. I used them on my last trip but I would rather use my new US dollar credit card. And, if the trip is cancelled for whatever reason, the gift cards just sit there, losing (or maybe gaining) value as time goes on, but never redeemable for cash. Disney now has your money, you have cute plastic cards.

For me, I get 4% cashback at grocery stores on my card. Plus, you then dont pay the 2.5% exchange rate fees that banks charge. Disney gives you the previous days closing rate.

The USD/CAD value going up or down is irrelevant for people who know they will go to Disney again at some point and you are gonna get dinged with exchange rate whenever you decide to go no matter what.

So, for example $5000 worth of Dis gift cards we get $200 cash back AND save on the 2.5% fx fee. Even if you dont get cashback it is worth it to not pay the extra 2.5%, IMO.

Can also purchase them (in USD mind you) on the disney shopping site. If you have a paypal balance in USD, you can use this option to pay DVC dues.

Tough to figure it all out and we are all trying to save for our trips. A dis-er recommended Knightsbridge Currency for exchanging funds, super easy and no credit card exchange rate. I think I did a good exchange last year when the Cdn dollar was solid. I opened a US dollar account at Meridian and got a US dollar credit card. I used it to put down our deposit and will pay off the trip. I watch the dollar against the US and just e- transfer funds to Knoghtsbridge to be deposited into my US acct. In the big picture who knows if I saved at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter