Caviar Spinoff... Oysters, how do you eat them

I love oysters anyway they are fixed. When in NOLA I really enjoy the raw oysters on the half shell at Acme Oyster Bar.

QUOTE="luvsJack, post: 59627798, member: 144764"]Only fried.

Oysters are served a lot here. People will buy a whole sack and shuck them and grill or fry.

I tried grilled, don’t like them. Can’t do raw.

I don’t cook them myself though. Only at certain restaurants. I don’t trust every place to clean and cook them correctly.[/QUOTE]
I smoke/grilled them once over a campfire. Crowded them into a cast iron skillet so the juices wouldn't spill and used hickory wood. Gosh they were good but next time I'll make sure I've a box of kosher salt to nest them in since that should keep the juices from spilling when you take them out of the cooking vessel. On the other hand, the excess split liquid went into Bloody Marys, the makings of which I always bring camping; yanno waste not, want not;).

I blow them into the tissue and then toss the tissue. No need to eat them.
With your screen name I'm ashamed for you:D.

Fried oysters and chicken salad. With a side of pepper hash. (Vinegary cole slaw with chopped green peppers in it.) Was very popular back when my parents were young. Not easy to find these days.

https://eatyourworld.com/destinatio.../what_to_eat/fried_oysters_with_chicken_salad
If you are ever in Philly wander over to Oyster House on Samson in Center City. They seem to always have fried oysters and chicken salad on the menu. Haven't tried that dish yet because my eyes get too big when we go there but still time.

Raw on the half shell or in oyster shooters. At home, I usually bread them in panko and fry them.

Raw, baked, BBQ'd, and recently, fried. My fried oyster was pretty huge, so I had to cut into it. It looked really gross, but was very tasty. I usually have them at my sushi spot, and they add a little something with green onions that I really like. I hope I never come across one that makes me sick because they are amazing.
BBQ, I am intrigued, Please explain, were they sweet?

BBQ, I am intrigued, Please explain, were they sweet?

Sorry, my incorrect wording led you astray. By BBQ, I really meant grilled. Friends would throw them on an outside grill and wait for them to pop open. We'd then pour a little bit of beer and hot sauce into them before eating them. Gosh, so tasty!

On a cracker with some cocktail sauce and of course with :drinking1also baked, grilled or fried:)

I think I may have had them in stuffing before, but generally, no - I don't eat any uncooked seafood, so the raw ones are out. I can't say I wouldn't try them fried, it just never happened to come up.

Pretty much any way I love them. One of my favorites was fried and mixed in buffalo sauce and then sprinkled with blue cheese. OMG that was unexpectedly amazing.

QUOTE="luvsJack, post: 59627798, member: 144764"]
With your screen name I'm ashamed for you:D.[/QUOTE]

Not sure where @Gumbo4x4 is from originally, but gumbos of all kinds are a staple in S. LA. Have eaten all kinds - seafood, or not - but usually without oysters. If they happen to be in the gumbos served, I'll enjoy the gumbo, but will not eat the oysters.

I know many people that do not eat oysters - the potential for getting bad ones are very real, and getting food poisoning from one is no fun - I've lived through it when at one time I did occasionally eat fried oysters - years ago, and no more.

Fried is fine, but best is steamed in the shell ... you still have to pry it open, dipped in butter + lemon. Also like the steamed ones on a saltine with a dab of horseradish, jalapeno slice, and dash of tabasco ... we call that a "rooster" ... no idea where the name came from!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter