Central Park “Karen”

mi*vida*loca

Collect memories, not things
I don't know if I've told my experience while shopping with an African American co-worker. I worked on 34th Street until 2014. My co-worker and I would shop on our lunch hour. She'd be dressed in professional clothes while I was usually in jeans and a solid color tee shirt. (our workplace was very casual) She'd be wearing dressy shoes while I had sneakers on. I am blonde with blue eyes. We shopped in a small dress store but would separate to shop in different departments. On many occasions, I watched the store "undercover" security follow her around while they ignored me. If I remember correctly, it was a Strawberry's - remember them? Nothing fancy, but I guess they had to deal with shop lifters a lot. But they profiled her without a doubt.
after high school (2001) I worked at old navy. Shoplifting was always an issue and always a topic at morning meetings.

one morning we come in and gather for our morning meeting. the manager starts telling us how they arrested 3 shoplifters the night before. She goes on to say “these weren’t your typical shoplifters. These were all American boys.”

me and the only other person of color employee just looked at each other with those eyes.

the manager and every single other manager and employee didn’t skip a beat. It was as if this was accepted and normal.

I’ve never been followed around a department store (that I’ve noticed) but I have been asked if I’m sure I could afford something or told straight out that I could not afford something.

Imzadi

♥ Saved by an angel in a trench coat!
Made into NY laws today:

1.Nicknamed the "Amy Cooper" Law: Prohibits making false race-based 911 calls.

^^ I have to say, when I saw this a did a little happy dance!

Ha! She may be convicted by the very law informally nicknamed after her that helped to create. :lmao: :worship:

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Ha! She may be convicted by the very law informally nicknamed after her that helped to create. :lmao: :worship:
Nah. That would be ex post facto. But of course it's pretty obvious that she filed a false report and is being charged with that.

• JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...

Nice press coverage for the politician. Let's see what the final outcome is...and don't expect much.

bcla

Nice press coverage for the politician. Let's see what the final outcome is...and don't expect much.
    I'm guessing community service, although if I were Amy Cooper I would have already moved out of NYC.

• bcla

Which politician do you mean?
    I'm guessing Cy Vance. He's been in public office before, but New York County DA was his first political office. In any case it's a slam dunk for filing a false report. She'd be stupid to fight it when it's likely she gets no jail time.

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
    I'm guessing Cy Vance. He's been in public office before, but New York County DA was his first political office. In any case it's a slam dunk for filing a false report. She'd be stupid to fight it when it's likely she gets no jail time.
    Right, Vance.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.