Chances WDW Haunted Mansion Finally Gets Holiday Makeover?

I would love to see the Holiday makeover of HM and Its a Small World. Love them at Disneyland. Considering how long they are closed for the overlay, I don't think we will see it at WDW.
Disneyland has so much local traffic, that it makes sense. WDW does not have anywhere near the percent of local traffic, so there is less incentive to do the overlay.

Make it 7. I thought it was a horrible movie with awful music and I turned it off before I even made it halfway though. It was painful.
I won’t officially say it’s a horrible film, but I do feel it’s highly overrated. The music is quite good and I recall our music teacher in middle school playing it for us during Halloween when it first came out on VHS.

I enjoyed the DL overlay but I still prefer the original ride. I don’t see Disney bringing Nightmare to Orlando. It takes forever to switch things over and WDW visitors would be upset it’s down for so long.

The theory I've always heard is that they won't ever do that type of overlay at WDW
Because WDW gets too many 1 time guest, of too many guests who don't visit often.
So they want those guests to see the classic attraction.
DL avg guest is different (so many more locals or frequent visitors) and they seem to concern themselves less with pleasing the 1 time guest.

We asked this question on a backstage tour and was told exactly this!

I can understand Disney being concerned with the one time guest thing, but otherwise would an overlay in the Florida park be that big of a deal? Disney puts rides under for worse things for longer periods of time. Capacity-wise, the Orlando resort could handle it better too, right? Whereas Anaheim has a smaller Magic Kingdom and only one other park to disperse guests that would otherwise be on the ride. I think the overlay could be great; I loved it when I went to the California park.

I really enjoyed the overlay in DLR, however I do understand that it would not be a service to take down HM for a seasonal theme. I think that for those of us who travel tehre often, we are much like the locals in Cali who don't have a probelm if an attraction is down, or if it does nto resemble the original. It is a nice change. If I was a traveler who was making a trip that would or could not be repeated in forever, this would not make me happy at all. I tend to try to see things from other perspectives, and respect that there are valid reason to keep from "redecorating" an iconic attraction.

Make it 7. I thought it was a horrible movie with awful music and I turned it off before I even made it halfway though. It was painful.

I have tried. I really have. I still have not made it through the entire film.

I really wish they would do the Country Bear Jamboree Christmas overlay like they used to.

YEs! I liked that years ago!

To withhold the overlay for the sake of one-time visitors seems like a poor excuse. Again, there are other attractions that see lengthy periods of downtime for whatever reason. Understandably, it's for maintenance and is required, whereas the overlay is not, which I get. Still, as guests we have to take this with a grain of salt; rides close. It's never pleasant, but would it really be the worst thing for Orlando's park? Even people who evidently enjoyed Country Bear's overlay want it back and liked it. Are there not die-hard fans of the attraction that would be bummed that it was down for refurb, but excited it was getting the change? The same goes for Haunted Mansion.

People would also do their best to plan around this as a one-time guest, whether they're for it or against it. I remember myself planning around Splash Mountain's annual refurb once or twice because I don't want to miss it. Granted, it's not always easy to do this depending on your budget, life, etc., but hey, there's plenty of other fish (rides) in the sea (park).

People would also do their best to plan around this as a one-time guest, whether they're for it or against it. I remember myself planning around Splash Mountain's annual refurb once or twice because I don't want to miss it. Granted, it's not always easy to do this depending on your budget, life, etc., but hey, there's plenty of other fish (rides) in the sea (park).

Most people going know nothing about ride operating schedules, there's still a huge number of people going that don't know what fastpass is or that it's free. As a one time guest, I'm not sure it's even something that would really come to mind. The people that visit places like these know all of that stuff and a lot of them are the heavy planners. The one timers may plan some things but unless you know the place you don't know what to plan.

Most people going know nothing about ride operating schedules, there's still a huge number of people going that don't know what fastpass is or that it's free. As a one time guest, I'm not sure it's even something that would really come to mind. The people that visit places like these know all of that stuff and a lot of them are the heavy planners. The one timers may plan some things but unless you know the place you don't know what to plan.

This is true. It's amazing to me how little the average person looks into things like that. Even Tim and Jenn Tracker (whose lives are being theme park bloggers) went all the way to Tokyo Disneyland without first checking to see 2 of the major E-tickets over there would be closed for refurb during their trip.

With all this talk of overlays - I'd also like to add the Country Bear Vacation Hoedown as a big overlay/change-up I'd like to see return for awhile at least.

I won’t officially say it’s a horrible film, but I do feel it’s highly overrated. The music is quite good and I recall our music teacher in middle school playing it for us during Halloween when it first came out on VHS.

I enjoyed the DL overlay but I still prefer the original ride. I don’t see Disney bringing Nightmare to Orlando. It takes forever to switch things over and WDW visitors would be upset it’s down for so long.

This is how I feel. I LOVE the music from NBC, but the movie is just okay to me. I am a huge Danny Elfman fan though, so I really dig the songs.

I’m probably one of about 6 people on earth who despises A Nightmare Before Christmas.

My only trip to DL was in October. Not being able to enjoy the original HM bummed me out Sad Panda style.

I realize I’m in the minority but I’m ok with WDW HM remaining overlay free. Especially with the amount of down time it would take to complete.

I will say the addition to Space sounds neato mosquito. I hope it’s executed well.
I'm probably the 7th then :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter