Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

Thanks for all the virtual cheers everyone! Was great getting to share the day with everyone running and so impressed by all of our results, congrats to all of you. I just wish i had been able to stick around and see some more people at the finish but I headed back out on course to try to catch my wife and cheer her on. We walked all the way down to Chinatown and then found out that she was waiting at the finish for us...she ended up having to take a DNF after 16 miles. She is okay with it and was probably the right call for the day but I still feel bad for her

Yes I will write up something better later, but I did want to thank everyone near and far for the encouragement. I thought it helped knowing people were cheering and tracking. I could not wait to read this thread. Sorry I missed many of the people I was chatting with. I did meet a few and thanks @canglim52 for the phone boost.

The quick note that I felt strong through 20 and pretty decent till 24. The last two miles were very hard. My legs were giving it everything I could. I was so worried I would just miss the 3:50. My last 2 miles were faster than mile 23 and 24, but I at the point I was NOT going to fail. I really wanted to sit down, but yes finished with a BQ PR 3:47:27. Even with the new standards I hope the 2:30 cushion should get me in.

Right now the legs are shot. No injuries just felt like I gave it everything I could on race day, which is all you can ask for. In my case, I BQ!

Wow, great play by play!

I had a good race for the most part. I liked the weather except for the wet shoes. It never poured and wasn’t freezing cold like Boston.

I stepped in a pothole around mile 14. I almost went down and it really shook me up. I was scared for a few moments that it could take me out, but was tolerable after a few minutes. I still have some swelling. Last 6 miles were a little tough and I slowed down. My foot/ankle hurt, but I was getting tired mostly.

That course is great—so much fan support. Coolest part of my day? Walking past Mo Farrah in our warmup area—total fan girl moment. I would have said something but figured he had more important things to think about!

I had dh tracking so many people—he kept asking who the hell all these people were.

Sounds like everyone had great days. I have to give shout outs to @roxymama and @cburnett11 ! Wow, that is awesome.

I did go to Q, but couldn’t find anyone. Sounds like @canglim52 was there at the same time but I don’t know what you look like. I had to check out of my hotel though so couldn’t stick around. Hoping to be home in the next 2 hours.

I can’t wait to NOT run tomorrow. I will take it easy and then start ramping up again. NYC is in 4 weeks.

F7948EFC-EC92-4898-9ED0-73541D4E4A72.jpeg

Thanks everyone for watching and tracking and copiloting along. It wasn’t the race that I had hoped for, but after struggling with the heat and humidity all summer and dealing with the dog bite just before the race I could never get going and into the groove I needed. Ultimately, I probably should have expected and altered my race strategy to reflect that reality, but I tried to hit my target paces from the start and I think that led me to burn out and enter the dreaded mile 20-26.2 death march because I used too much up early.

It wasn’t all bad news. I loved the cooler temps, at least when it wasn’t raining on us and the course support was great! Not to mention, in the final assessment, my 4:18:10 is still a PR for me by 0:02:12.

Thanks everyone! I'll hopefully put fingers to keys come Tuesday on my thoughts on the race. A big shoutout to @CheapRunnerMike for being my co-pilot and biggest cheerleader in the moment. It meant a lot to get to run together. Congrats to everyone else as well. Now on to the vacation...

View attachment 356720
I think we spent some time talking about those donuts...they must have tasted so good!

Yeah, I don't think anyone can top that one!!

No disrespect of course to your "Medal with Cake" shot (YUM! :cake:), or "Medal with Donuts" from @DopeyBadger and "Medal with Beer" from @Wendy98! Great work, all of it!

Looking forward to your race report, rookie-no-more! :D Great job on your first, and do you think you enjoyed it enough to do it again?

Was anyone else a first-timer? Had @canglim52 run a full before? I'm still shocked he ran a negative split in those conditions. A lot of very good runners I was following here and elsewhere had rough days out there yesterday. Regardless of everyone's result yesterday, you all should definitely be proud of yourselves!!

This!

@Wendy98 i took the beer but could not drink it. Took a while before I wanted to eat. Sorry to hear about the near miss, glad it was just that.

Good luck in NYC.
Lol don’t worry I drank enough beers for you!! I’m hurting more from that then the marathon lol!! @Wendy98 sorry I missed you, next time! Great meeting @garneska, @CheapRunnerMike, and @camaker! And obviously, thank @DopeyBadger for another amazing training plan :-)

No disrespect of course to your "Medal with Cake" shot (YUM! :cake:), or "Medal with Donuts" from @DopeyBadger and "Medal with Beer" from @Wendy98! Great work, all of it!

Looking forward to your race report, rookie-no-more! :D Great job on your first, and do you think you enjoyed it enough to do it again?

Was anyone else a first-timer? Had @canglim52 run a full before? I'm still shocked he ran a negative split in those conditions. A lot of very good runners I was following here and elsewhere had rough days out there yesterday. Regardless of everyone's result yesterday, you all should definitely be proud of yourselves!!
Thanks!! This was my 3rd marathon, and first normal one lol! Though negative splits had more to do with Billy saying better not let me catch up to you if you break pacing rules :D idk why but I’m scared of him!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter