• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Choosing a Point and Shoot

I like my daughters Fuji S1000. I think the current model is the S2500. It's a slick little point and shoot with a lot of features and good low light performance for a p&s.

Here's a shot she took with it in a classroom with no flash. she was 8 when she took this one, so it's easy to use but has manual settings as well. All she did was convert it to black and white in PSE.
499749030_dqhEZ-L.jpg

I have the Canon 780is when my 7D is too much to carry around. I love them both. Both have HD video also.

We have the Panasonic Lumix tz4 and Tz5. The newer version looks the same but has a bit different name. We highly recommend this line of cameras. It's larger than alot of P&S but worth the better quality.

P&S cameras are fairly close to eachother - none are spectacular, and the photographer using them will make the results, not the camera. Asking some folks here to post samples might not give you any real insight, as a great photographer can post soem stunning photos from a fairly poor P&S while a bad photographer can post a terrible photo from a pretty solid P&S. I'd judge it more on features, design, and price that works for you. P&S is such a broad category, and everyone has different reasons to pick what they pick. Many want the largest sensor they can get and manual controls, others may want the most zoom range they can get and don't mind a chunky camera, others may want the slimmest, smallest thing they can find. It doesn't mean anything about your skills if you decide that a cheap, small full-auto camera suits your P&S needs - you don't have to pick a larger-sensor manual camera if it's not what you're looking for, though many 'photographers' will tell you that if you are a true photographer you wouldn't want anything else because you need manual control and RAW.

For me, I love having a super-slim, super-small, stylish camera to supplement my DSLR. When I want full manual control, huge telephoto or ultrawide range, superb low light ability, and super speed, I use the DSLR. When I want to travel casual and light, or have a camera with me at all times without feeling like I'm carrying one, I'll use my ultracompact. Manual controls? Nope. RAW? Nope. Big zoom? Nope. Tiny, easy to carry anywhere, fun, and stylish, and gets me the shots when I don't feel like carrying a big DSLR around? Yep! I've had several ultracompact Sony T-series cameras and personally love the designs and style, and the convenience and small size. Currently my TX1 is serving duty as backup. But it may not work at all for someone else - it fits my needs and wants just right...and no other compacts can fit them as well.

So decide what you want - ultracompact P&S, travel zoom P&S, ultrazoom P&S, prosumer P&S, full-size P&S, larger sensor advanced P&S? Then what features are important to you - stabilization, video, manual controls, raw, spot meter, design, viewfinder, etc. That might help you hone in on some good cameras!

I just picked up a Kodak Z915 at Sam's the other day and am very happy with it. I am replacing my Kodak dig. from 5 years ago (paid almost $400). This camera was only $119 and inc. 2 extra rechargeable batteries, charger, and travel case. A pretty good deal. It has 10X optical zoom.

The only thing that is hard for me is since it's a smaller camera there is no viewfinder. Only the LCD dispaly. I am used to using the viewfinder, esp. in bright conditions. But this is what you are going to find with the smaller P&S.

This newer Kodak has features that my older one didn't so I'm having some fun with them.

I just bought the Canon PowerShot SX120 IS and love it! The only issues I have with it is how long it takes between shots when using the flash (it's very annoying to me but I'm an extremely impatient person) and that it uses AA batteries; I much prefer the lithium batteries...they lasted so much longer in my Fuji camera than these AA are lasting in my Canon. :) Besides that, the photo quality is great (far superior to my Fuji and that also took some great pictures) plus there are a decent amount of options you can use should you want, or just fire away in auto.

I just bought the Canon PowerShot SX120 IS and love it! The only issues I have with it is how long it takes between shots when using the flash (it's very annoying to me but I'm an extremely impatient person) and that it uses AA batteries; I much prefer the lithium batteries...they lasted so much longer in my Fuji camera than these AA are lasting in my Canon. :) Besides that, the photo quality is great (far superior to my Fuji and that also took some great pictures) plus there are a decent amount of options you can use should you want, or just fire away in auto.

Buy Energizer AA lithiums in bulk at one of the price clubs. 10 for $17 or something like that. Duracell Pre-Charged and Rayovac Hybrid rechargeables also last longer than the AA alkalines, and they don't self-discharge as fast as regular rechargeables when idle.

Canon fan here also.

Oh and I love that with the AA cams, you can run into a Disney shop and pick up a pack of AA's in a pinch. My cam and external flash are both 4AA, so if I burn through all the lithiums and the rechargeables after the longest day shooting... ever, I can run into the store and grab a pack or two.

I now have a Nikon D500 - DSLR. However I have had 3 sony cybershots. Lastly the H55. I think the pictures turn out really good. The movie mode on this camera I prefer over the Nikon (surprisingly). And the "sweep" panorama is really cool, and way better than in of the "stitching" it together other brands do. Good luck.

I adore my Canon PowerShot SX120 IS too. It is a but annoying when you're using flash, but since I am against unnatural lighting of most kinds (I understand that sometimes you just need the flash with a P&S), I bulked up on Energizer Recharge AA batteries and got a 15 minutes charger at Walmart (a bit pricey, but well worth it). While the batteries didn't last me long in Disney (since I took far too many pictures), they lasted a good while while I was in Vegas.

I adore my Canon PowerShot SX120 IS too. It is a but annoying when you're using flash, but since I am against unnatural lighting of most kinds (I understand that sometimes you just need the flash with a P&S), I bulked up on Energizer Recharge AA batteries and got a 15 minutes charger at Walmart (a bit pricey, but well worth it). While the batteries didn't last me long in Disney (since I took far too many pictures), they lasted a good while while I was in Vegas.

To speed up recycle time, use disposable lithiums. Also, be aware that the 15 minute charger significantly reduces the life of a battery. You can pretty much cut the number of charge cycles in half. They are not really expensive, so that might not be an issue to you. I just wanted to let you know.

You should be able to crank down the flash power in non-auto settings for more natural lighting, and up for when it's really necessary. There is also a flash mode for the white balance that will soften the atomic effects of a flash.

Energizer doesn't have a "pre-charge" or "hybrid" battery that I'm aware of. That specific type is really important because they don't discharge as fast on their own, when you're not using them (which is why they're charged in the pack rechargeables). IIRC, testing states 80% power remains after 1 year on the shelf, whereas regular rechargeables are dead in a few days. This is why they have higher power ratings because they're dying all the while your camera is on and off.

I have 8 Duracell pre-charge, and 8 Rayovac hybrid on me (8 for the powershot and 8 for the speedlight) and took just under 400 shots at AK without having to change batteries. I changed them to be safe so they wouldn't die on me in the middle of something cool. I used to buy Energizer AA lithiums but these pre-chargers have been saving me too much money. I just charge them overnight before a shooting day... and I prefer the duracell chargers and batts even though the rayovacs have 100Mah more.

Where they do lose is on flash recharge times as PP stated. The Energizer lithiums are king as they're lighter, faster, more powerful, and more expensive to boot. I find them in 10 packs at BJ's for $18, and they're a must for special events.

I have 8 Duracell pre-charge, and 8 Rayovac hybrid on me (8 for the powershot and 8 for the speedlight) and took just under 400 shots at AK without having to change batteries. I changed them to be safe so they wouldn't die on me in the middle of something cool. I used to buy Energizer AA lithiums but these pre-chargers have been saving me too much money. I just charge them overnight before a shooting day... and I prefer the duracell chargers and batts even though the rayovacs have 100Mah more.

I do not know how true this is, but I heard that the Duracells with a white top are actually Sanyo Eneloops and the ones with the black top are actually Rayovac Hybrids. If true, that means that the main two suppliers of the low discharge cells are Sanyo and Rayovac, with Duracell making none.

Myself, I have three sets of the Duracells (two sets white and one black) and i have one set of Rayovac Hybrids. All seem to act about the same to me.

I do not know how true this is, but I heard that the Duracells with a white top are actually Sanyo Eneloops and the ones with the black top are actually Rayovac Hybrids. If true, that means that the main two suppliers of the low discharge cells are Sanyo and Rayovac, with Duracell making none.

Myself, I have three sets of the Duracells (two sets white and one black) and i have one set of Rayovac Hybrids. All seem to act about the same to me.

White are Japanese, Black are Chinese, and Sanyo would be the likely candidate in Japan so it may be true (not sure about China). Usually all batteries come from one source or another but the specs vary. I had it on good authority that Panasonic made most of the US made 123a cells, yet their own brand is 500Mah higher than all the other brands, and I can buy them in bulk for less. Either way I snagged white top DL's from Target on a markdown based on the shootout, even though I haven't had any issues with the black tops. I've bought some excellent quality Chinese manufactured stuff, but there's a lot of lousy quality as well, and the Japanese are catching up in that lousy area too.

I've had the rayovacs for about 2 or 3 years and just got the duracells, but I think the duracell chargers specifically are better. I know there was a shootout for the batteries and the duracells trumped others, even though they are rated slightly lower in Mah. I bought based on the shootout more than anything else, but honestly if I didn't see white tops I would have gone black just the same. When I replace the Rayovacs, I'll get the black top DL's from BJ's because the white tops are getting rare. Hopefully the price will have dropped, since BJ's pricing was in line with Target at the time. I think Duracell used a high quality control plant for the introductory period, then just went to the cheapest bidder for the mass rollout.

As for the chargers, my rayovac chargers get hot as heck and it bothers me. They also always run a full charge cycle even if the battery is not fully discharged.

The duracells get warm, but nowhere near as hot, top off rather than fully cycle, and maintain a trickle charge once the cycle is complete. I almost only use these chargers. They are old though so I don't know if they're still made the same.

I swear specs have to do with selling more batteries. Lower Mah means you need to buy more often for non-rechargeables. Destructive chargers mean you'll need to replace rechargeables more often.

I used to use a Duracell charger that had four independent circuits, but recently upgraded to a Maha MH-C9000 WizardOne and am very glad I did. It is a little intimidating at first, but this thing is a great charger. It brought a few sets of old regular rechargeables back to life. I really like having control over the charge level as well.

I used to use a Duracell charger that had four independent circuits, but recently upgraded to a Maha MH-C9000 WizardOne and am very glad I did. It is a little intimidating at first, but this thing is a great charger. It brought a few sets of old regular rechargeables back to life. I really like having control over the charge level as well.

Yeah, I want one, but free drives a hard bargain :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter