Choosing a Point and Shoot

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...ital_cameras/powershot_sx30_is#Specifications

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g12#Specifications

Actually, I have been waiting for a replacement to the SX1 IS, which came out quite some time ago. Maybe with the SX30 out now, replacing the 20, they might be out soon with an SX2 IS, or whatever.

I am pretty much a P&S guy.

I have the SX1IS and a 7D. The SX1IS is a great P&S. I keep it in my camera bag as a back-up. I also use it for video also.

I have a G11, it is a very capable camera under most conditions but really suffers from a lack of dynamic range (about 2 stops less than an entry level dSLR according to DXOMark). The HDR function combined with RAW levels the field to some extent but only for photos where HDR will work.

Because of the small sensor and dynamic range limitations the G11 takes more care than a dSLR to get a really good image. We pretty much use the G11 for times when we don't want to or can't carry a SLR, like bicycle rides.

The G12 looks like a similar upgrade as from S90 to S95, adding HD video, internal HDR, and a few other features, but still mainly the same camera (which is not a bad thing). If you don't want a SLR the G12 is probably the next best thing.

I have an SX1. Great camera, but competed with Canon's own lineup too much. It just had too many features on it... but was really a testbed for using their CMOS sensors in their P&S lines.

The SX30 looks great, but I don't know if they're going to be bold enough to offer an "SX2 or SX3" any time soon.

They're moving away from competing with their DSLR lineup, and forcing people into buying their battery packs. One of the things I loved about Canon was that I could use AA batteries.

There were too many features on the SX1 and I didn't understand why they wouldn't have been bundled into a higher end camera instead. Especially when they command thousands of dollars over a $600 P&S.

I've been a fan of the "G" series since getting my G5 back in 2003 and while each new one has had it's shortcomings, this series is practically unbeatable IMHO! I have also owned a G9 which was even better!

While I am expanding my knowledge and use of my Canon XSi DSLR and like its rapid fire shutter capability and ability to work in low light conditions I do truly miss much about my Canon "G" cameras. In fact, I was looking seriously into buying a G11 and watching the prices drop when in fact they went up yesterday on Amazon. Now I have to carefully compare the G11 and G12 to see if some of the features I care most about have changed. But, I will buy one or the other before next summer!

I know that I can always snap away with my "G" camera even in Auto and later crop and enlarge in post-processing to catch that perfect detail in amazing clarity. My colors are perfect and contrast crisp.

All of my 2007 Disney shots linked to in my signature were taken with a Canon G5 which at that time was four years old.

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts.

If you were choosing, which do you prefer, the G12 or the SX30?

So my husband says I can get a new camera just before we go to Disney in Oct. He says I can get up to $600 worth of camera. I am tired of my point and shoot with no options for adjusting things myself and the crappy photos it takes. I love taking pictures and I work hard at trying to take really nice ones, change my angles, look for good lighting etc, but my current camera just disapponts me. Especially with indoor photos. they are almost always grainy and my house is not dark. I don't know a lot about photograpy or cameras, but am willing to learn some things. My question is should I go DSLR or go with an in-between camera (not DSLR but more options than a point and shoot)? I was looking at the new panasonic Lumix and the base level DSLR's but I know so little about cameras that I am not sure where to go from here. My husband thinks I should get the lumix, because his friends all say that the DSLR camera will be heavy and bulky to lug around with the kids and all. I picked one up at target today and it didn't seem all that heavy. Honestly I can keep the point and shoot for my purse for pics on the fly, but I need something that can take better photos. I have checked camera reviews on-line and while they are helpful they are camera reviewers, and I don't know much of the technical jargon. I am hoping some of you here can give me your real life experience with what you decided on, DSLR or an in-between camera. Oh and just today I have discovered that Sony (Sony alpha NEX-3) and Olympus (Olympus E-PL1 PEN) offer a mirror-less structure ultra compact camera, which might be just what I am looking for. Anyone have one of these, and can offer a review as well?

$600 isn't a lot of budget for a DSLR when you consider the lenses and extras you'll probably want, unless you plan on buying more equipment in the near future. It can get you into one, but not much beyond that.

I've played with the Olympus PEN and it's a slick little camera.

On the size.. it's all about what you're comfortable with. I take my DSLR wherever I want to go where as my husband would probably rather carry a compact point and shoot. We're all different.

I agree that a strict $600 budget is a little tight. You are going to want some sort of bag, extra memory, a better strap, sensor cleaning kit, extra batteries, etc. If the "extras" fall outside the $600 then it might be possible.

For example, the camera I have is a Pentax K-x. For the body and kit lens (18-55mm) it runs around $500. If you go with a kit with two lenses (18-55mm and 50-200mm) then you go to about $630.

All of the accessories can come at a later date. I am just looking at a basic camera with the basic lens that comes with it. Not too many bells and whistles. I have no experience with a DSLR, so I am looking for a good beginning camera.

Unfortunately I think that the mirrorless cameras may break your budget - best prices I have seen for the NEX 3 with a 'normal' lens is $599 - and you really will need at least a memory card and some sort of cover/bag for the thing.

The 'Big Three' all have a DSLR camera that would fit your budget (and leave room for buying some sort of bag , memory and a spare battery) and be much more capable than a Point and Shoot (quoting 'new' prices from Adorama here):

Canon XS - $495
Nikon D3000 - $495
Pentax K-x - $520

I bought an XS late last year mostly because I've always owned Canon and although I am VERY happy with it - after reading the reviews of the Pentax K-x I would have to say that it looks like quite a good camera, and I wish I would have given it a look. I'm sure that there are people who would say very nice things about the D3000.

I found that trying the XS and a D3000 in a local store really helped me decide between them - ie which one 'felt right' to me. I strongly recommend going to a store where you can actually hold these things and take a shot or two or three.

Even better - if you had any friends that have DSLRs, invite them to dinner and tell them that the 'charge' is that they need to bring the camera so you can give it a try around your house :)

See if you can go to a real camera shop rather than just a big box store. Been very disappointed with the bix box stores near me lately........all the cameras aren't working, powered, etc and it's hard to tell what the camera's going to feel like with that post on the bottom for display purposes.

I love my Sony NEX, that would be my choice for a compact camera, but it's a bit over your price and won't have many lens options.

Otherwise, check this out:

Canon XS Refurbished with 1 year warrantee and 18-55 lens $399.

If you have a broken canon point and shoot (or know someone who does) you can call and see about canon's customer loyalty program, that'll get you an xs with lens for $320 plus tax, but only a 90 day warranty.

That XS and a memory card and the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens and you should be pretty happy to start out with all for under $600.

I love Canons. Their P&S cameras have alot of features and options. I have a P&S and also a SLR. I find that I use my P&S more for everyday, but for special occasions or just when I feel like I want better quality photos, I use my SLR. I'd recommend the Canon XS also. It's a pretty good SLR to learn on. If you get the kit, it includes the 18-55mm lens. Here's a link. The reviews might be helpful since it's reviewed by the buyers. Canon also has a P&S that has manual settings. It also shoots RAW. If you wanna skip the SLR & all the lenses but want better control over your settings, I'd go for that one.

Canon XS

Canon G11

You can also pick up the Canon T1i for just under $600 new with the 18-55 IS kit lens.

If I were shopping right now, I'd spend a little more and get the T1i over the XS if I could afford it. You won't be able to get much else initially with a $600 budget but you'll have a newer model with less noise, greater ISO range and more features in general than with the XS... that is if you decide to go Canon.

You can also pick up the Canon T1i for just under $600 new with the 18-55 IS kit lens.

If I were shopping right now, I'd spend a little more and get the T1i over the XS if I could afford it. You won't be able to get much else initially with a $600 budget but you'll have a newer model with less noise, greater ISO range and more features in general than with the XS... that is if you decide to go Canon.

I agree with this. For the incremental cost to go to the next step up, it is worth it. If you went Nikon, I would say go with the D5000 over the D3000. There is nothing in Pentax at a lower price point because they typically only have two to three models available at a time in the whole lineup. They are a little unique right now that they actually have four: K-x, K-r, K-7, and K-5. Now that the K-5 is out, I expect them to stop production on the K-7 though.

I agree with this. For the incremental cost to go to the next step up, it is worth it. If you went Nikon, I would say go with the D5000 over the D3000. There is nothing in Pentax at a lower price point because they typically only have two to three models available at a time in the whole lineup. They are a little unique right now that they actually have four: K-x, K-r, K-7, and K-5. Now that the K-5 is out, I expect them to stop production on the K-7 though.
I read that the K-7 will remain in production for "some markets"... but that probably does not mean the US. Value-wise, it's tremendously underpriced. I would imagine that the K-x will be replaced by the K-r... but maybe not.

The K-x is certainly the best bang for the buck in the entry-level field, which is why it's been a tremendously good seller. Availability in lots of cameras and best-in-class high ISO performance (and most other features) don't hurt either. ;)

Unfortunately I think that the mirrorless cameras may break your budget - best prices I have seen for the NEX 3 with a 'normal' lens is $599 - and you really will need at least a memory card and some sort of cover/bag for the thing.

The 'Big Three' all have a DSLR camera that would fit your budget (and leave room for buying some sort of bag , memory and a spare battery) and be much more capable than a Point and Shoot (quoting 'new' prices from Adorama here):

Canon XS - $495
Nikon D3000 - $495
Pentax K-x - $520

I bought an XS late last year mostly because I've always owned Canon and although I am VERY happy with it - after reading the reviews of the Pentax K-x I would have to say that it looks like quite a good camera, and I wish I would have given it a look. I'm sure that there are people who would say very nice things about the D3000.

I found that trying the XS and a D3000 in a local store really helped me decide between them - ie which one 'felt right' to me. I strongly recommend going to a store where you can actually hold these things and take a shot or two or three.

Even better - if you had any friends that have DSLRs, invite them to dinner and tell them that the 'charge' is that they need to bring the camera so you can give it a try around your house :)

Having a friend bring one over is a great idea, now to see if any of my friends have one. I think one might. I asked my husband if his friend at work would let me see his Nikon D40 for an overnight. :thumbsup2

I did go to best buy this weekend and looked at what they had. Kids were uncooperative though, so I didn't get to look for long. I think I am going to see if I can find a camera specific store around here sometime soon. I know next to nothing about DSLRs or how to use one so maybe a real camera shop would be more helpful to me in making a decision. I don't need anything wamma-jamma, just the basics to start with. I have a camera bag, and won't be getting anything other than a kit lens until I learn how to use the camera, so the only extras I need right away are an extra battery and a memory card (and I am not figuring that into my camera purchase budget, I can get those with my saved allowance money). Amazon does have the Olympus pen for $513 this week, so that would still be in my budget. Basically I need ot make up my mind soon so that I have time to learn to use it before my Oct 22 trip to WDW. Thanks for everyones thoughts.

For the beginner who needs a little more control, I'd recommend the Olympus E-PL1 PEN. That's a lot of camera for about $600 (kit) and will give you some room to grow (lenses and manual control). The wizards, such as "blur background" work well, and once you learn more, you can do it yourself in Manual. :)

For the beginner who needs a little more control, I'd recommend the Olympus E-PL1 PEN. That's a lot of camera for about $600 (kit) and will give you some room to grow (lenses and manual control). The wizards, such as "blur background" work well, and once you learn more, you can do it yourself in Manual. :)

I hear its a great camera but is it going to be good for shooting kids indoor/outdoor and WDW?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter