• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

(Christmas) Lights, Decorations, Action…..A Post-Christmas PTR (update 12/22-page 42)

Our plans are to do DHS on the 31st. I'm not sure exactly how we want to handle that day yet with the NYE crowds so when I did ADRs this morning I went in two different directions. DSs always like doing 50's Prime Time, so I booked that one at lunchtime. Just in case, I also made an ADR at Cape May Cafe for early dinner.

I didn't want to do 50's again this trip and focus on checking out some new restaurants. If we take that afternoon break after making RD that morning, I will probably go with keeping CMC, but if it looks like the crowds at DHS are going to be bad, and we might not get back in for the fireworks, I will probably stick with the ADR at 50's and just hang out in the park.

That's exactly what we did last Wednesday (except for Christmas decorations, of course). Like you, I had never seen WL and booked Whispering Canyon for an excuse to get there. It's a beautiful hotel.

Can't wait to see the pics in your TR. Every poll I've seen on here and TGM that asked about what resort you have never visited but want to the most, I always put WL on there. I have heard so much about it for many years; I can't believe we haven't planned it into our schedule before now. :confused:

You will LOVE the WL!!! It is amazing! We stayed there in January (see my TR in my siggy) and just fell in love. Going back there in December! We also ate at Whispering Canyon and it was so much fun and SO yummy! I can't wait to see the decorations :cloud9:

Yeah, I can't wait either. We all have a good time at 50's Prime Time because of everyone's willingness to join in the fun. Since we get a similar experience at WCC is one reason I am looking at NOT doing 50's this time around. Now, once I inform DSs about that we will see how it goes.... :rolleyes1

***Edited:: I checked out your TR but I'm guessing it is now locked, as I didn't see any way to respond there. Love the pics of WL in particular, but like you said, I'm sure they don't do the real thing justice. I'm sure that as impressive as those lobby pics you and everyone posts are, it will still be breathtaking when we walk in there for real! I couldn't find where you guys are from, but based on the references to LSU and the Saints, I'm guessing LA. I just found it interesting that you have about a 9 hour drive, which is about the same as us from SC.

We normally drive all the way in one day and stay off-property the first night so we don't use DVC points just to sleep (I would love to be able to leave at 5am, but with my family that isn't ever gonna happen). This coming trip I plan to drive about half way on the 28th after I get off work that day. Hopefully the family is completely ready to go when I walk in the door. The next day we will only have about 4 or 4.5 hours left to get there, so we should make Kidani by lunchtime or shortly after.***

I got us 50s for dinner on NYE. The rest of the family wanted to eat there. I was kind of indifferent. I am hoping we can get back into the park. My kids will definitely need a nap this day!

I got us 50s for dinner on NYE. The rest of the family wanted to eat there. I was kind of indifferent. I am hoping we can get back into the park. My kids will definitely need a nap this day!

We did a similar plan for July 4th fireworks last year, and the crowds were not that bad, although it seemed like it during the fireworks. I think everyone in the park crowded into Hollywood Boulevard for the show. Still, I don't think it was even close to being a threat of not getting in, although as expected MK and Epcot were filled to capacity!

Yes! We are from Louisiana! Well, we only get up at 5am right now because both of my kids are too young to know the difference! They slept until about 7:30 so that was great. I am sure when they are older, it is not going to happen!

The WL is absolutely wonderful!! I can not even explain how amazing the lobby and the grounds are! I have never eaten at Prime Time, but Whispering Canyon should be a great sub. Sometimes, the waitress does not act as crazy as you would think, but there is always activity around you and funny things going on. The food is amazing as well!

Sometimes, the waitress does not act as crazy as you would think, but there is always activity around you and funny things going on. The food is amazing as well!

Well, I don't eat anything without putting ketchup on it, so as long as she keeps my tea glass filled, and makes sure I get my ketchup, it will all be good. ;)

Hey Marvin...just put up my TR thread tonight. It wouldn't be a Glennbo trip report without some commentary by you, so hope you'll find your way over. Link in my sig.

Hey Marvin...just put up my TR thread tonight. It wouldn't be a Glennbo trip report without some commentary by you, so hope you'll find your way over. Link in my sig.

You know I'll be all over it! Someone has to be there to keep you humble... :lmao:

It seems like you go alot when it's super busy...it this true?

Hey Jordan. Unfortunately that is true. With a wife who teaches, and kids in school, we are pretty much at the mercy of school schedules, which for some strange reason Disney marketing has figured out is their busiest times of the year. :confused3 Maybe I need to start doing some solo trips like a few others on the DIS report about doing. :yay: I'm thinking DW and DSs will be okay with that, don't you think??? :sad2:

Hi, I finally managed to jump over from Glennbo's PTR! This main street picture from your last Christmas trip scares me!! :scared1: Perhaps they should use pictures like this for their advertising - this might ensure more pleasant touring conditions for your family. :goodvibes

Hi, I finally managed to jump over from Glennbo's PTR! This main street picture from your last Christmas trip scares me!! :scared1: Perhaps they should use pictures like this for their advertising - this might ensure more pleasant touring conditions for your family. :goodvibes

:welcome: aboard! It's great to see you here. I hadn't thought about the crowds in the picture, just the decorations! You think that was bad, you should have seen the picture before I cropped it.... :lmao:

The best part if you notice is they are all facing me, on the way in, and I'm facing all of them, and was on the way out! We used some really good touring plans and had already done everything we set out to do, multiple times, and had a handful of FPs to use later! I think it would have been scary for me too if we hadn't been well prepared to handle it. That was actually one of the worst we saw the whole trip.

Since we have plans for AK on New Years Day, I tried for ADRs at Yak & Yeti this morning, but no luck. I'm guessing they aren't loaded in the system yet. Does that make it "yet to yaki?" (sorry, I had to do it)

Instead I booked an ADR at Boma for that evening. We've eaten there a couple of times and it is one of our favorites, so no great trade-off. I'll still check again later and see if anything else comes available.

Up early tomorrow to take one last shot at Le Cellier for our final Epcot day on the second. I'm hoping the issue with our first evening is because of tables being held out of the system for the Candlelight Processional packages, but CP will be over before 1/2, so hopefully enough choices I can score one of them.

Good luck on getting Le Cellier. Hopefully you're right, that they're just holding some spots for the packages. I wonder when they'll release them, if that's the case.

The best part if you notice is they are all facing me, on the way in, and I'm facing all of them, and was on the way out! We used some really good touring plans and had already done everything we set out to do, multiple times, and had a handful of FPs to use later! I think it would have been scary for me too if we hadn't been well prepared to handle it. That was actually one of the worst we saw the whole trip.

A good touring strategy can be fantastic! I have only been to WDW in the off season and even then, especially at MK, following a touringplan makes so much sense. I love it when everytime you exit an attraction the wait time has jumped up while you head out to one that still has an acceptable wait time. :thumbsup2

Good luck on getting Le Cellier. Hopefully you're right, that they're just holding some spots for the packages. I wonder when they'll release them, if that's the case.

There are a number of Epcot restaurants showing no availability right now around Christmas. All of them are part of the CP package program. The word is that a number of tables are being held out of the system so there are tables available to support CP. The latest word I am hearing is July/August timeframe to book those.

Now for the ADR news of the day. Was a little late getting to the computer to book those final ADRs. Now surely 40 minutes wasn't enough time for people to book Le Cellier completely out on January 2nd, was it? Were there any new surprises I discovered while I was searching through Disney's ADR online system? Stay tuned to find out........ :rolleyes1

A good touring strategy can be fantastic! I have only been to WDW in the off season and even then, especially at MK, following a touringplan makes so much sense. I love it when everytime you exit an attraction the wait time has jumped up while you head out to one that still has an acceptable wait time. :thumbsup2

You are so right! I actually was one of those people who didn't go in so much for touring plans for a long time. :sad2: Well, to be honest, I hadn't done much looking to realize that very helpful service was out there. I saw some ads on the DIS but never pursued them. Why waste money for something like that? :rotfl2:

Well, that Post-Christmas/New Years trip in the picture was going to be a relaxing trip and we weren't going to try and fight those legendary crowds. We were going to WDW because we had joined DVC and had a whole bunch of developer's points we received as incentives to buy in, and they expired after a year, so we had to use them for something. We had a 2-bedroom Savanna view room at AKL all booked up for the 5 of us. :thumbsup2

Then along came the curve ball/monkey wrench/fly in the ointment that set the wheels in motion to change our trip completely. Just before Thanksgiving DS13 (11 at the time) came home from school and said "I'm getting ready to take my third trip to Disney, and Jackson (his BFF at school and on baseball teams) has never been." :confused3

Hmmm, now Jackson is a really good kid, and I have coached with his Dad so know them really well. You know, we do have a 2-bedroom that sleeps 8....

To make a long story short, I talked my idea over with DW and she thought it was a good idea to invite him along. I didn't want the boys to know anything about it just in case there were any problems with family about "losing" their son right after Christmas. :santa: I spoke to his Dad in private, told him to think about it, talk it over with everyone and just let me know. He called me back a few days later and told me Jackson could go with us. We planned a surprise get-together to reveal it to both boys at the same time.

So now we are about two weeks from going on a trip to WDW during one of the busiest times of the year, and it just changed to a commando trip so we can make sure Jackson has as much fun in those few days as possible. :scared1: That's when I finally broke down and joined TGM because any little tidbit of info I could get had to be worth it, and boy was it ever! We always travel during the busiest times, so I keep going back and it is always well worth it!

We will miss you by 1 day but I will be reading along as we are doing our first Christmas trip (Dec.25-28).

We will miss you by 1 day but I will be reading along as we are doing our first Christmas trip (Dec.25-28).
Cool! :welcome: aboard!

Can't wait to hear all about your trip too. It will be interesting to compare notes! Disney is such a magical place at Christmas, as if it isn't anyway!

So when do you normally travel? Just wondering if you typically go when the crowds are so heavy, or this is going to be a complete shock to the system? :lmao:

Hey Marvali!!

All my DISPals are here; and I'm not one to be left out!! Signing on for kicks and giggles. :goodvibes May take me some time to get up to speed, but I'll get there...

BTW, you're not too late to join most of everyone HERE on mine ;) The Invasion one.

Hey Marvali!!

All my DISPals are here; and I'm not one to be left out!! Signing on for kicks and giggles. :goodvibes May take me some time to get up to speed, but I'll get there...

BTW, you're not too late to join most of everyone HERE on mine ;) The Invasion one.

:welcome: Liesa, glad you joined in!

Shouldn't take you too long to get caught up. This isn't an ultrapopular Glenn report or anything. :rotfl2:

I have been reading along on your reports when I can, but I guess I've just been doing it in ninja mode. You were so far ahead when I learned about them from Glenn that it is really difficult to get caught up! Will try and get more involved soon!

:welcome: Liesa, glad you joined in!

Shouldn't take you too long to get caught up. This isn't an ultrapopular Glenn report or anything. :rotfl2:

I have been reading along on your reports when I can, but I guess I've just been doing it in ninja mode. You were so far ahead when I learned about them from Glenn that it is really difficult to get caught up! Will try and get more involved soon!

I"m in handicapped mode right now, so not as quick as I like to be. ;)

Glad you'll join in at some point. Your witty humor cracks me up- especially the lethal combo of you and Glenn together! :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter