(Christmas) Lights, Decorations, Action…..A Post-Christmas PTR (update 12/22-page 42)

marvali

DIS Veteran
Normally we travel to WDW during the hot summer months due to school conflicts. Last year we went over the July 4th holiday. This time around, with our oldest DS about to start his senior year of college, and middle DS starting his college career this coming Fall, we decided to delay this year’s trip until they both come home for Christmas break (not to mention it gives us a chance to see what the financial impact of two DSs in college at the same time does to our budget :scared1: ) With so much extra time to burn before we get to return to Disney, I thought I would try a PTR to help pass the time.

The Cast of Characters

Me-Marv (50) – Disney Fanatic, member of the DIS Dad’s Club, and (over)planner extraordinaire
DW-Alison (age; not going there) – enjoys going to Disney, but leaves the planning to me
DS20-Matt – rising college senior
DS17-Jon – just graduated HS, ready to move on to college life in the Fall
DS13-Drew – rising 8th grader, loves everything sports, especially soccer

Here we are during our trip in 2008

image116-1.jpg

We did a similar Post-Christmas trip two years ago between two summer trips. Since we had purchased APs knowing we would get three trips out of them, DW and I had planned to take that holiday trip slow and easy, enjoying the holiday spirit and decorations of the Christmas season. Shortly before our trip, we decided to let DS13 invite his BFF to go with us. Drew had come home talking about how many times he had been to Disney already, and his friend Jackson had never been. Well, to make a long story short, our planned relaxing trip became another commando attack on the parks so Jackson could enjoy the full experience of the parks and rides. Although we enjoyed some of the decorations, we didn’t get to experience them all and visit some of the well decorated hotels like we had planned. Hopefully this trip all of my planned days and ADRs will fall into place and we can finally get to have that relaxing holiday trip.

Here is our current schedule:

12/29 – arrive early afternoon and check-in at AKV-Kidani (two standard studios)
Dinner in or near Epcot, then try and catch the Candlelight Processional

12/30 – Magic Kingdom Day-shooting for lunch at Cosmic Rays, then dinner at Wilderness Lodge or
a monorail resort (Poly or GF) then maybe try and catch the NYE fireworks pre-show.

12/31 – DHS for Osborne Family Festival of Lights and the NYE fireworks

1/1 – Animal Kingdom

1/2 – Epcot

1/3 – head home

We normally try and stay longer when we go to Disney, but this time around we have to get back for DW and DS13 to start school back on the 4th. With longer stays we get a 1 or 2-bedroom normally so there is plenty of room, and we can keep food costs down some with the full kitchen. This time around we are going with studios to save some DVC points for a longer trip next summer. I tried to get two value studios at AKL but they were already booked, so we ended up in two standard studios at Kidani.

With all of our plans to tour the resorts and plenty of time to explore the parks and all their holiday beauty, we won’t be in the rooms very much anyway. That also means very little time in the rooms around meal time. It looks like we are going to try the DDP for the first time this trip. I think it will fit in really well with our touring plans. We hopefully can pull most of our desired ADRs at some of the resorts so we can go there to eat, and check out all the decorations at the same time. I’ll make that final decision in a few days after booking my ADRs and seeing what is available.

I'm in :thumbsup2 Looking forward to more details on the trip. popcorn::

Welcome aboard jenbear. Glad to have you along. It looks like you have quite a few TRs I need to catch up on too. :yay:

ADR window opens soon so finalizing plans for our meals. Hope to try a few more restaurants we haven't worked into our schedule before. Hoping to get Le Cellier and WCC for sure (chance to see the Christmas decorations at WL). Thinking about possibly 1900 Park Fare, Coral Reef, Yak & Yeti and maybe Ohana or CM for dinner (we've done breakfast at both, but those would be on the monorail loop while we visit other resorts for decorations).

Here are a few pictures from our New Years 2008/2009 trip.

101-1.jpg

076.jpg

071.jpg

I can't believe after all the times I walked into the AKL lobby I never took a picture of the Christmas tree and decorations. Just one more reason for slowing down this trip and enjoying more of the simpler pleasures Disney offers during the holiday season.

Signing-on my friend. That's so cool that you'll be there over New Year's Eve. I'd love to do that sometime.

Signing-on my friend. That's so cool that you'll be there over New Year's Eve. I'd love to do that sometime.

Welcome aboard Glenn! :welcome: I saw you were back and had a great (and tiring) trip. Can't wait to hear what I missed.

Not only do I have ADRs to start booking, but around the same time my 11-month window opens at Kidani. Looking to take another trip the first week of next June! May just have to juggle two PTRs at the same time.

How Cool!!! My DH and I always talk about taking a post-Christmas trip to WDW. Can't wait to read more about what it is like. I just made my ADRs a couple days in advance...the system has a glitch and will let you make ADRs 190 days in advance instead of 180 days. Just put in your ressie # on disneyworld.com and use the online ressie system. Type in the dates you want (don't use their calendar) and it will let you book! I found out about it too late and did not get LC---so hope it helps you get LC! :goodvibes

How Cool!!! My DH and I always talk about taking a post-Christmas trip to WDW. Can't wait to read more about what it is like. I just made my ADRs a couple days in advance...the system has a glitch and will let you make ADRs 190 days in advance instead of 180 days. Just put in your ressie # on disneyworld.com and use the online ressie system. Type in the dates you want (don't use their calendar) and it will let you book! I found out about it too late and did not get LC---so hope it helps you get LC! :goodvibes

Shhhhh....don't tell anyone. Tomorrow morning I will be trying for LC first thing. That is the first day of my trip. Second day I'm hoping for WCC so we have an "excuse" to visit WL and see all the decorations. The good news is if I don't get LC for the first night, I have one more day planned at Epcot at the end of the trip. I will get a second shot at it. Backup plans if LC falls through are for Les Chefs, Teppan Edo, Tutto Italia or Coral Reef. Teppan Edo is the only one of these we have done before.

We actually did a Post-Christmas/New Years trip in 2008/2009 but it was more commando than relaxed and enjoy the decorations. The pictures above are from that trip. Sadly I never got around to a TR, but we had DS13s friend with us so I was busy trying to help get him to see everything and didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked to go with it. That whole trip is actually mostly a blur.

Found you!
Just getting back from a wedding in Canada.
We made our ressies for Chef Mickey's today!

Well, wasn't able to pull off Le Cellier for the first day of our stay. Online ADR said there was nothing available from 3:30 - 7:30. Could do 1:30 for lunch, but not sure we will be there and checked in in time to make that one. Not giving up as I'm sure there are tables being held for the Candlelight Processional packages that haven't been released yet.

For now, I was able to book an ADR at Tutto Italia for 5:20 dinner. That will give us plenty of time to eat and be in line for the 8:15 CP. Will keep checking just in case they release some more openings at LC though. Not giving up on it during our trip regardless. Our final night's plans are to be back at Epcot, so I can also shoot to get a reservation then.

Next battle tomorrow morning.......Whispering Canyon for our MK day.

UGH! Sorry you were not able to get LC! I had the same bad luck but my Travel Agent is confident that most of the tables are being held for the CP Dinner package--which we are going to book. Have you heard when we can book the CP packages??

UGH! Sorry you were not able to get LC! I had the same bad luck but my Travel Agent is confident that most of the tables are being held for the CP Dinner package--which we are going to book. Have you heard when we can book the CP packages??

The discussions I have seen were that they have some dates and guest speakers lined up, but not all of them yet. They are waiting until all plans are finalized and will then release everything at one time. I heard mixed dates on when this is expected. One was late June/early July, and the other was around the end of July.

Apparently there is no tie to the 180 day ADR window, since I think some of the dates are already past that. I've seen a few people who just want them to release the held tables for booking. They know what day they plan to do CP and therefore the guest speaker is a moot point. I'm sure there are some who want to wait and see who the speaker is, and then plan/book accordingly.

The online ADR booking system glitch is really great. This morning I was able to get that desired dinner ADR at Whispering Canyon Cafe for our second night, when we plan to visit the MK. Tried for a 5:30 ADR and was able to get 5:40.

Looking forward to taking the boat from MK over to WL and seeing the Christmas decorations I have heard so much about. We have never visited WL before, and I hear it is a beautiful place, even without the extra decorations. This is one I have been wanting to work into our plans for a long time.

The online ADR booking system glitch is really great. This morning I was able to get that desired dinner ADR at Whispering Canyon Cafe for our second night, when we plan to visit the MK. Tried for a 5:30 ADR and was able to get 5:40.

Looking forward to taking the boat from MK over to WL and seeing the Christmas decorations I have heard so much about. We have never visited WL before, and I hear it is a beautiful place, even without the extra decorations. This is one I have been wanting to work into our plans for a long time.

That's exactly what we did last Wednesday (except for Christmas decorations, of course). Like you, I had never seen WL and booked Whispering Canyon for an excuse to get there. It's a beautiful hotel.

That's exactly what we did last Wednesday (except for Christmas decorations, of course). Like you, I had never seen WL and booked Whispering Canyon for an excuse to get there. It's a beautiful hotel.

You will LOVE the WL!!! It is amazing! We stayed there in January (see my TR in my siggy) and just fell in love. Going back there in December! We also ate at Whispering Canyon and it was so much fun and SO yummy! I can't wait to see the decorations :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter