Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone just asked if the reason for less-than-expected WDW revenue is because demand for the parks wasn't where they thought it would be.

Chapek said this is a highly uncertain time and they could tell from reservations that they had ample demand 6 weeks before reopening WDW to go above the social distancing guidelines. When COVID numbers in FL started going up, long distance travelers were scared off. 50% of their guest base currently is traveling in from out of state but 50% is local/in-state. He did say they've had high numbers of cancellations because of the increase in FL COVID cases, and they're yielding their daily park availability to try to accommodate that.

They're happy with their current positive net contribution.

Christine clarified that they are generating revenue that exceeds variable costs, though it is to a lesser extent than previously anticipated directly because of the current COVID situation in Florida. As that abates, they expect demand to pick up. While demand is not currently where they expected, it's enough to achieve positive contribution. They're confident demand will go up when FL cases decline.
If they’re breaking even (or doing a bit better than that) with their current staffing levels, then I bet we’ll continue to see lots of extra CMs for the foreseeable future.

Has anyone tried to walk over to Beach Club from EPCOT without a dining reservation? I’m just wondering if they’re still only letting people with reservations into the resorts...

If they’re breaking even (or doing a bit better than that) with their current staffing levels, then I bet we’ll continue to see lots of extra CMs for the foreseeable future.
Breaking even probably isn't where they're at. They say they are meeting positive contribution, but by less than they expected. They also have "head winds" ahead of them of quieter months of September and October with no Halloween parties, plus expected increasing covid cases in many areas.

Breaking even probably isn't where they're at. They say they are meeting positive contribution, but by less than they expected. They also have "head winds" ahead of them of quieter months of September and October with no Halloween parties, plus expected increasing covid cases in many areas.

Yeah I have a trip scheduled for September from Star Wars weekend free dining offer now 35% discount and based on what I'm seeing so far in the parks and current experience I'm going to contact my TA tomorrow and cancel and make January my next trip. So I'll be part of those Sep Head winds.

Has anyone tried to walk over to Beach Club from EPCOT without a dining reservation? I’m just wondering if they’re still only letting people with reservations into the resorts...

We walked over from BWV. We did have a reservation but no one asked us about it at all. We actually wondered around trying to find the restaurant before we finally had to ask the front desk! Even then they didn't verify it or anything. They just pointed us in the right direction.

They were approved for a Paycheck Protection Plan loan back on April 8/20 in the amount of 1.2 million dollars (to save 260 jobs)
Have they been open long enough and with enough staff to have gone through that amount of money already? (6 weeks since EPCOT reopened) 🤷🏻‍♀️

Remember that the PPP was intended to retain employees that would otherwise be out of work. Loans were being approved as early as mid April and the amount of the loan is based on 8 weeks of payroll costs plus certain expenses. By the time EPCOT opened in mid-June, they may have already been paying employees for 6 weeks or so.

So yes, they could have easily spend all of the PPP funds and are just now closing because the funds have been spend and the business just isn’t there.

i live between King’s Island and Cedar point and have season passes to CP. just got a notice that they are doing a lite version of their Halloweekends so we may have a touch of Halloween up in Ohio this year after all! Our Disney september trip that was supposed to be for the Halloween party is definitely not turning out the same as we hoped.
And no Winterfest at King's Island. We were really hoping at least for that this year. (we are platinum passholders too up near Cedar Point)

And no Winterfest at King's Island. We were really hoping at least for that this year. (we are platinum passholders too up near Cedar Point)

yes that is sad. We just went the cheap route and got CP gold passes. I was sure they wouldn’t be doing anything seasonal this year. It is too bad about winterfest- that’s such a fun time. .

So we are almost 1 month in, and park reservations are now more impossible than ever to get as an AP, despite additional availability supposedly being opened up. Anyone else having better success? If so, how long do you have to try before you get an open date? I was ok with this initially because availability was okish and I figured it would get better, not worse, by the end of our free month.

It’s about to get much harder to stomach once we get into days I’m actually paying for and am locked out.

@AmberMV
We're here now. Wait times are generally inaccurate, unless you hit a 20 minute cleaning cycle for the ride, that happens every 2 hrs. We were at Epcot yesterday. Test track posted at 40 minutes, actual was 17. Frozen said 30 minutes, actual 15. But if you are in line during a cleaning cycle, it would likely be the posted time. I think they're also having trouble judging the times with the social distancing.

I actually think the markers make it much easier to estimate the wait times. I just don’t think they are interested in keeping them accurate. Waits or so low it really doesn’t matter at most rides. I have started counting markers in every queue and timing how long it takes per marker. It’s pretty accurate. If I could just get into the parks more maybe I’d put together a guide

I’m not sure that policy was ever enforced for guests walking to resorts. I think it just applied to guests who were trying to park at a resort.

The only issue is parking your own vehicle without a dining reservation, you will be turned away everywhere, even from pop and cbr which were easy to park without one. You can visit any resort as long as you're walking or taking Disney buses . Haven't tried uber or lyft

So we are almost 1 month in, and park reservations are now more impossible than ever to get as an AP, despite additional availability supposedly being opened up. Anyone else having better success? If so, how long do you have to try before you get an open date? I was ok with this initially because availability was okish and I figured it would get better, not worse, by the end of our free month.

It’s about to get much harder to stomach once we get into days I’m actually paying for and am locked out.
I really don't understand why they don't open more availability for ap. I was at epcot last night and it was so empty, it was real sad actually they turned down the music in areas or turned them off all together, and without the chatter of people it just seemed so dead. And there was no park availability for ap.

I don't know if it's a union thing that they recalled all the attraction cm and are giving them their regular number of hours, either they are pt or ft, but cm are now often asked by their management if they want to clock out early, as early as 2 hours into their shift, obviously is up to the cm to take it or not, but they are definitely over staffed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter