Dating for a meal

That's a nasty huge broad brush you're painting with. Are you single, by chance?
But also not completely untrue. I had this conversation with a guy I used to go out with. I concluded in a way dating is a form of prostitution. A guy is paying a woman in the form of dinner/drinks/movie/etc in hopes of getting lucky.

Why? What if you asked the guy out? Is he still expected to pay for it all?

I’ve never asked a guy out, so it was never a factor.

Honestly, it comes down to I’m a Christian and I believe men should provide for their family when the time comes. That doesn’t mean I think it’s morally necessary for a man to pay for dinner, but I also wouldn’t have dated a guy who didn’t see it as his role to be the main provider once we had kids. It’s kind of a sign that a guy wants a dual income household if he wants to always make things equal in splitting the check (or taking turns). No one has to agree with me on this, but I chose to marry a man that did agree with me. I, also, don’t think this is someone has to agree with me to be a Christian, and I would work if it was necessary, but we will live at a lower means to make it happen (I do some part-time work from home on a contract basis because I can still be a SAHM and make it happen). I, also, think people have extravagant dates in their mind, I had no expectation of $100 dinners. A date could be ice cream, coffee, Waffle House (not a first date recommendation, but my husband and I loved going to Waffle House), etc.

That being said, I went on very few first dates. I was picky and I was in no way trying to take advantage of a guy. My husband and I didn’t even live in the same state the majority of the time we were dating (so there were very few dates) and once we were married it was our money when we were dual income (and I, actually, paid for the majority of our wedding). We’ve always made jokes about who is paying the check, after marriage, because it was our money (and at one point I was the only one working, while he was in school, when we hadn’t started having kids yet).

Never had the chance. I got asked out on so few dates I never had the opportunity to pull any crap like this.

While that can work with for some people, I've had a hard enough time getting one woman to go on a date with me, forget having dozens in the queue! For some of us, it is difficult and getting just the one date takes a lot of effort and luck. It's just not that easy.

Between Tinder, Bumble, Match, on and on, finding dates always seemed easy to me, and I'm neither super beautiful nor sweet. I reckon if I could line up dates, anyone could:)

Heck no! I don't like spending time with people I don't particularly like. When I dated (I have been married for almost 25 years), I hated it. Hated.

I can buy my own food, no meal is worth that.

the men that were dating me weren't interested in me because I'm funny or a witty conversationalist :)
kind of true, kind of cynical, in a huge broad sense you could think women sale there goods, or hopes of getting them goods, and all men pay for that hope.
But also not completely untrue. I had this conversation with a guy I used to go out with. I concluded in a way dating is a form of prostitution. A guy is paying a woman in the form of dinner/drinks/movie/etc in hopes of getting lucky.

Yes, we haven't touched on this subject yet. I've known a few men, (co-workers, not dates,) who admitted that they expect that if they pay for dinner, especially if it's a lot, that they feel entitled, that the woman should have sex with them later that evening. They did their part in shelling out for dinner, now it's time for the woman to put out.

I always make sure I have enough to pay for my own meal and insist on it if I know I don't like the guy after all. So I could state, for the record, that I tried to pay, if they insisted on paying. AND I made sure to have money to take a cab & escape if need be. AND if they get really grabby & insistent that I owe them sex, that I can throw a $20 bill at them and tell them to go to a hooker. I'M NOT ONE OF THEM.

Sooo, those of you that admitted to going on a date just for a meal, did you put out afterward?

Last edited:
Sooo, those of you that admitted to going on a date just for a meal, did you put out afterward?

Nope. I only put out if I wanted something to happen, never for expectations. Did I hook up with people when I wasn’t head-over-heels-OMG-you’re-the-one? Yep. Sometimes a single girl gets bored. But no one...ever...should expect physical contact out of obligation. EVER!

Yes, we haven't touched on this subject yet. I've known a few men, (co-workers, not dates,) who admitted that they expect that if they pay for dinner, especially if it's a lot, that they feel entitled that the woman should have sex with them later than evening. They did their part in shelling out for dinner, now it's time for the woman to put out.

I always make sure I have enough to pay for my own meal and insist on it if I know I don't like the guy after all. So I could state, for the record, that I tried to pay, if they insisted on paying. AND I made sure to have money to take a cab & escape if need be. AND if they get really grabby & insistent that I owe them sex, that I can throw a $20 bill at them and tell them to go to a hooker. I'M NOT ONE OF THEM.

This is exactly why I started arriving early and buying my own coffee/drinks. There can be no expectation if I'm out in front of it.

Yes, we haven't touched on this subject yet. I've known a few men, (co-workers, not dates,) who admitted that they expect that if they pay for dinner, especially if it's a lot, that they feel entitled that the woman should have sex with them later than evening. They did their part in shelling out for dinner, now it's time for the woman to put out.

Lol, I'm divorced now and have been celibate since separating from him 3 years ago, I'm not sure I even remember what "putting out" entails :)

The idea that treating someone to a meal that you invited them to means they owe you sex is abhorrent. Better to find that out about someone right away about someone. Makes me think maybe letting them pay for the first date is even MORE important - find out what they're made of.

Like plainjane said above, it's important to be "of like minds" if you are going to be in a relationship.

I’ll probably get hated on for admitting to this, but when I was 20 I studied abroad and had a very limited budget. I was on a student visa only, so I couldn’t get a job (although I did look for “cash-in-hand” aka under the table jobs). There were nights where I couldn’t afford much to eat and went to bed hungry.

I was motivated to flirt more aggressively with the men I met because I wanted to be taken out for a nice dinner. I went on a bunch of dates with guys who I liked well enough, and I don’t think I went out with them solely for a free meal. But getting to go out for a nice meal was encouragement for me to try and meet more men and say yes to more dates than I did once I came home to the US and could afford to pay my own way.

I never felt obligated to put out although I did get called a tease once. If things progressed past dinner, it was because there was a genuine connection and it had nothing to do with money.

Not sure if it counts but allowed the brother my parents never had to take me to dinner at the 4 Seasons when I couldn't pay my mortgage much less eat. I knew he liked me as more than a sister at that time but welllllllll I was hungry.
Later when he was hard up I let him live in my house rent free for a few months.

The good times are back so now we can laugh about then and trade tips about worthy brokers.

Nobody else though since I worked hard (and possibly foolishly at times) to be my own woman.
Doesn't stop me from expecting a man to open a door for me though.

TBH that would seem too exhausting to me to go out with a guy for the sole purpose of a free meal.

I wouldn't go out with someone unless I was at least somewhat interested in them.

Better to find that out about someone right away about someone. Makes me think maybe letting them pay for the first date is even MORE important - find out what they're made of.

In terms of money, one can find out a lot about a guy by being the one paying, too. (Well, maybe not the first time, ;) but soon afterward.) I used to counsel abused women. And there is a general saying that turns out to be true:

S/He who controls the wallet, controls the relationship.​

I can't tell you how many stories I've heard where domineering/controlling/abusive men show up at the beginning of a relationship, all sweet and acting chivalrous. They pay for everything. They seem so thoughtful by making all the plans. They pre-order the meals for the woman. Even if she doesn't like boiled chicken and has told him, she still thinks it's romantic & thoughtful that he ordered for her. He seems so protective, when he asks where she is going? How is she getting there? How late will she be? As they get into a longterm relationship, he then doesn't want her to work, or work anymore. He'll take care of her. She thinks all this is so romantic. . .

Until the real him starts to come out, as these men usually can't keep up the charade for long. Him paying for her, his making her get rid of her job, her friends, is a controlling maneuver to make sure she is financially & emotionally dependent on him and isolated. What seemed like him being so protective and thoughtful before is actually him being controlling of what she does, where she goes, who she does it with, when does she come home, down to what she eats, when he orders for her.

Many women who end up at battered women's shelters often arrive with only the clothes on their back. They didn't have the money to get out to be on their own. Many women stay in battered relationships because they have no money to take their kids & leave. So many women go BACK to the guy, because they want the man who showed up in the beginning, the false personae who was so thoughtful & romantic. That guy is the man they love. Not the one who showed up later. The one who was so thoughtful, who took care of them. Oh, he was definitely thoughtful. He thought about how he'd be in control later. And he didn't take care, he took over.

These types of men show up at first dates also sizing women up. They want someone who ultimately is submissive. Who will acquiesce over and over and over again and again. They don't want someone who says, "You bought the last round, I'm buying this one. I got this one, this time." They don't want a strong woman who is asserting equality or boundaries. And doesn't give in when he pushes. "I know you said the boiled chicken is a delicacy here. But, I have food allergies and I really prefer to order for myself, thank you." They are off to look for the submissive one.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO THEM! :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter